Gashtag

LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE REXXIE

29 posts in this topic

MRwM6RC.png

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/489510-what-happened-to-wotlabs-articles/

I lol'd, you know it's a bad day when the official forums are making gud points. 

No moar tank comparisons :(
No moar reviews :(
No moar guides :(
No moar eve stories :(
No moar shitpoasting (face it, it was funny) :(
No moar countering to the horde of rWN8 = life twitch culture pillow humpers :(

THANKS OBAMA REXXIE 

Articles died because they generated minuscule traffic and little to none were interested in it. By comparison, the forum generates about 20 times the traffic on an average month than articles did at their best.  It was a good idea, but the audience wasn't there.

Gash, stop lending your account to Garbad :doge:

But really, the only productive thing Garbad even did in the last several months of his Wotlabs time was that T30 replay topic and he cancelled that one because people were "too good" at analyzing and learning from his comments and replays, rather than taking it to the next level. And you best be joking with those tank comparisons, the last 3-4 of those he did were written like some 800 WN8 player had played 10 battles in each vehicle and the responses were thereafter.

The EVE stories were nice but pretty standard, any former or current player can give you a bunch of those. You should definitely google some of that shit, though, the after action reports tend to be fun (or used to be, I haven't properly played the game in damn near a decade :surprisefish:).

1 minute ago, koel76 said:

You want eve stories? 

Hide contents

I made more ISK in February/March than Garbad has seen in his entire puny eve career.

wChKQwO.png

EVERYONE HATES HIM! Find out the secret of how he earns $70,000 a month with just a small loan of a million dollars today!

Well one thing is sure good threads about wot are dead and this forum is more like Facebook then something were people can come learn but hey wot is kill so who cares lol.

1 hour ago, HELIONIST said:

Well one thing is sure good threads about wot are dead and this forum is more like Facebook then something were people can come learn but hey wot is kill so who cares lol.

Similar to what I've noticed.  Do people even still play tanks anymore?

To be of the other (apologist) side of the coin, articles are redundant given word of mouth vehicle threads in terms of knowledge comprehension.

The WoTLabs base is familiar to a average degree with Czech/Kaiju tanks though without very intricate articles explaining what makes Japanese Tanks function as they do or how the brawling meta effects all/new autoloaders today. This is I daresay trivial information but significantly important to fully comprehend the big picture of the game's indirect functionalities. I of course would like to see articles like this but then again, why can't these matters be discussed in threads, formalities aside.

The most memorable thing for articles for me were the "List of Tier (X) vehicles" and parables of Garbad among many authors. I believe this is more serving to people who are actively learning the game than WoTLab's vets.

Problem is that not a lot of people give a shit about doing good in games and those who do just make threads asking on a specific matter whist looking into the very well done content of the archives (or asking shallow, reactionary and trivial questions that keeps the interlocutor in blue).

3 hours ago, Solono said:

Articles died because they generated minuscule traffic and little to none were interested in it. By comparison, the forum generates about 20 times the traffic on an average month than articles did at their best.  It was a good idea, but the audience wasn't there.

Yah. And as anyone who has written any article for WoTLabs or RocketBrainSurgeon will tell you, they were damn hard work and there were never enough writers active at any given point for the flow to be constant. Throw in the fact that it seems like a lot of the people who wrote articles are less active on the forums now and even less active in the game and the drop-off in articles is not that surprising.

I love articles, but I very much understand just how much work they require in order to be good. That, and the fact that they become outdated as the meta changes, means that it is much simpler to do all your WoT learning from threads and videos. 

4 hours ago, BPX said:

Here is another

Hide contents

this bug was about a week away from hitting TQ

-snip-

What is that error all about?

Do you still play BPX? I rarely see you around Failheap anymore.

9 hours ago, Solono said:

An alternative way of looking at it would be that articles aren't remotely discoverable in all the cruft on the main page:

qEjgcpe.png

There's a grey on grey link in the main nav, then a section listing the latest articles that's positioned in a way that suggests it's one of the least important things on the page - less important even than taking people off the site altogether to Twitch - and a 8 month old article is still flagged as "new".

If a handful of articles with poor discoverability and IA could bring in 5% of the traffic of the forum (which, let's face it, is less than 5% useful information about the game buried in a torrent of anime, furries, salt, off-topic shenanigans and social activity), imagine what a comprehensive series of well-organized, well-signposted articles could do.

Of course, that relies on people being willing and able to write them.

RBS generated a number of articles, because he was willing to pay for them. The articles were a decent amount of work to put together, and the small sums he offered were a decent incentive. When WoTLabs took over, they didn't have the same resources to be able to pay for articles and the supply dried up.

9 hours ago, Pyr0freak said:

I love articles, but I very much understand just how much work they require in order to be good. That, and the fact that they become outdated as the meta changes, means that it is much simpler to do all your WoT learning from threads and videos. 

I still enjoy and refer to the articles.  They distill a ton of critical information into a nice package where often that information is found intermixed into many threads spread all over the forum.  The few compendium or summary threads (micropositioning, best tank for missions, etc) are really articles (although with a living document advantage if maintained).  Many players struggle to find all the nooks and corners that may hide that nugget of information they seek.  The forum threads are just as susceptible to meta changes invalidating the conclusions.

3 hours ago, woe2you said:

If a handful of articles with poor discoverability and IA could bring in 5% of the traffic of the forum (which, let's face it, is less than 5% useful information about the game buried in a torrent of anime, furries, salt, off-topic shenanigans and social activity), imagine what a comprehensive series of well-organized, well-signposted articles could do.

Of course, that relies on people being willing and able to write them.

QFT

2 hours ago, sr360 said:

RBS generated a number of articles, because he was willing to pay for them. The articles were a decent amount of work to put together, and the small sums he offered were a decent incentive. When WoTLabs took over, they didn't have the same resources to be able to pay for articles and the supply dried up.

Patreon for articles?

7 hours ago, Birkovic said:

What is that error all about?

Do you still play BPX? I rarely see you around Failheap anymore.

CSAA jobs would hang on completion but be cancel able so you could create infinite orders.  It only affected POS manufacturing not station manufacturing though which is why it was found so late.

Spoiler

SXpQ7n3.jpg

6 hours ago, koel76 said:

What's your character's name?  Also, eww that ui is old.

Old UI was best UI.  So unintuitive you'd think it was made by permanently drunk Icelanders that piss about with silly stuff all day instead of actually fixing their game.

Spoiler

HWk9pMG.jpg

Personally, I don't think articles as a whole fit into wotlabs. It's a forum - the entire site is articles. Instead of making articles their own thing, we'd be better off with featured content. The forum and the articles being largely separate entities has always been a bit of a problem with a community this small. Integrating the two incentivizes forum content and creates front page articles at the same time. Hell, some people might read some of the threads and feel like they want to join in on the forum discussion.

One of the nice things about wotlabs is that even with the decline in activity, the quality of posts here has actually gotten better. The only issue is that it's not marketable quality. Threads like IS-3 Shapes the Meta or Pubbies and Vision are golden to me, but you cant exactly show that kind of stuff off in the same way you'd show an article. No one's going to want to read three pages of people arguing over the IS-3s armour scheme in place of an article with everything summarized for you.

We'll see what happens going forward, but I feel like the community would be capable of really good content if it had the incentive to make it.

12 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

We'll see what happens going forward, but I feel like the community would be capable of really good content if it had the incentive to make it.

The incentive is key. I've become busier and busier as time has passed, and I'm sure that's true of many (I know, for example, that it certainly is true for @CraBeatOff). There aren't very many incentives that can take me away from other draws in my life.

Then perhaps we should be bookmarking gudpoasts and summarizing the thread's conclusions into marketable articles which people don't need to be familiar with wotlabs culture and characters to read.

There needs to be some sort of structured information resource. A forum is absolutely terrible for that because at heart it's designed to bubble up new content, not good content. Plenty of good content exists, but you need to have a rough idea of what you're looking for in order to find it. Write "SPG" in your search string instead of "arty" and IPB search says "lolnope".

I can write fairly entertainingly but I'm nowhere near purple enough to write with authority or to decide on what information should be presented in the Ultimate Wotlabs Guide to Tonks.

3 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

I still enjoy and refer to the articles.  They distill a ton of critical information into a nice package where often that information is found intermixed into many threads spread all over the forum.  The few compendium or summary threads (micropositioning, best tank for missions, etc) are really articles (although with a living document advantage if maintained).  Many players struggle to find all the nooks and corners that may hide that nugget of information they seek.  The forum threads are just as susceptible to meta changes invalidating the conclusions

If one is determined to become a better player, one will find the information he / she requires. All it takes is a simple site-wide search using Google or whatever you prefer, and then some extra digging. If you feel the information is outdated, you make a new thread asking for new input or bump and old one.

Threads are constantly evolving and thus are not as susceptible to meta changes. We have enough educated members that most questions will be answered in under 24 hours.

There is no real need for articles in many of the cases. Sure, they'd be nice, but like I said before, it's a lot of work that becomes outdated too fast to be useful in most cases. 

10 minutes ago, Pyr0freak said:

If one is determined to become a better player, one will find the information he / she requires. All it takes is a simple site-wide search using Google or whatever you prefer, and then some extra digging. If you feel the information is outdated, you make a new thread asking for new input or bump and old one. 

That relies on the assumption that one already knows enough to ask the right questions. You can quite easily find the answer to whatever question you like, but if you're not asking the right questions because of gaps in your understanding the answers you get will be both 100% correct and completely unhelpful.

14 minutes ago, Pyr0freak said:

There is no real need for articles in many of the cases. Sure, they'd be nice, but like I said before, it's a lot of work that becomes outdated too fast to be useful in most cases. 

We need some articles about game mechanics because I don't see them on labs which is a bad thing imho. If I find some time (damn you, Civ V!) and strong will I'll write something about penetration (ammo types, spaced armor, ricochets), modules (need to translate my short video about RNG in module dmg) and HE shells. 

39 minutes ago, woe2you said:

That relies on the assumption that one already knows enough to ask the right questions. You can quite easily find the answer to whatever question you like, but if you're not asking the right questions because of gaps in your understanding the answers you get will be both 100% correct and completely unhelpful.

I had the same impression often players coming here are still in the "we don't know what we don't know" phase...thus it can be a challenge at times to ask the right questions.  Case in point the recent optics/vents sidebar in the TVP T 50/51 Equipment thread.