Sign in to follow this  
Hanzo_San

Best Headset for under $85?

22 posts in this topic

You can't go wrong w/Logitech G230. Sound is awesome, mic very good and they're quite comfortable too (takes me ~5-6hrs to feel the need to take them off).

or if you're into the 7.1 surround hype, G430

7 minutes ago, juhaas said:

You can't go wrong w/Logitech G230. Sound is awesome, mic very good and they're quite comfortable too (takes me ~5-6hrs to feel the need to take them off).

or if you're into the 7.1 surround hype, G430

The surround is only if you use the program, which I don't. It confuses me. But they're both really good.

54 minutes ago, The_Iron_Curtain said:

I recently picked up a Razor Kraken head set and I love it. Though ill be honest im not a headphone expert but im pretty sure they are just in your budget.

grn.jpg

While these are an easy way and a decent headset there's a few things though:

- You can get a lot better and comfortable headsets for the same price (despite the slogan :doge: ) and the equalizer doesn't quite do enough for it to be worth having a dedicated equalizer

- They break very easily since the adjustable extensions are 100% plastic meaning you absolutely have to put them back in if you're storing it anywhere (traveling etc) because they will break from any pressure whatsoever, once they do the vacuum pressure is completely gone making the noise reduction and the sound quality gone with it

+ The surround sound is actually very well done for being Razer, the only thing I really miss from the current ones I use

+ The mic is also very good, and since it's USB the driver comes with it so it's basically plugnplay

I highly recommend you save up just a little bit more and buy the Kingston HyperX Cloud (it's within your budget here but I'm not sure overseas). I personally don't own them but they are absolutely great soundwise (no overboosted lows/highs) and they work very well with movies too. I've had them on for about a total of an hour so can't really comment on longer session comfort

There's also the Siberia v3's that's also a decent quality both in sound and durability, however they're AUX so they're not customizable unless you buy the Prism version (not worth the extra price)

Logitech is almost completely foolproof as well and the G430 is hard to beat (I personally prefer the Kingston though) 

I have to say, I hate the G430. The fabric is insanely uncomfortable and really scratchy, the headset feels way too tight on the ears, and as soon as I tried on something better I immediately tossed it. 

I personally vouch for the HyperX Cloud. Super comfortable, good audio quality, great noise cancelling. 

I can vouch for G230s/G430s as well,  the mic on the G230 at least is a bit quiet,  but other than that I find them extremely Comfortable, I can leave them on for hours no problem. 

Also,  3.5mm jack rather than USB,  I have had massive issues with USB headsets I have used in the past. 

I tried the G230s and honestly really didnt like them. Uncomfortable as all hell, and the cord tangled itself up and severed itself. Exchanged them for Turtle Beach Recon 50s and love them. 40$ too, so well within the budget.

Never buy a headset, waste of money. Buy a pair of proper headphones and a desk mic. Money well spent and way better sound quality than those shitty headsets.

Had AKG Q701 myself for a while now after trying out some shitty gaming headset (Turtle Beach something, just under 200€) first and boy are these fucking quality compared to them.
Cheap SMSL M2 DAC from Ebay and some Logitech desktop microphone.

I'm sure there are good headphones you can buy at that price range instead of wasting money on a headset that gives you way inferior sound quality.

The Logitech G930 may be had for as little as $85 or so.  Good sound, good range.  Light, comfortable, does not give me weird hair (ha).  Because it is wireless I can keep up with my platoon even when I am called away from my keyboard.  

I have a steel series flux that I got on sale for $40 CDN (I think it was 80% off)....I really like them, considering the 'budget' end of the spectrum they are on.

34 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

The biggest issue with "gaming" headsets arn't cans - many are pretty decent - but these fucking microphones. They sound like equipment left behind by my grandfathers in russia.

52ybw1.jpg

To be fair, it's true. mic's on budget gaming headsets suck dick, they aren't any good until you get in to the high end ones, but if all you're doing is talking on TS, then the Logitech ones will be fine.

I've also been looking in the headset upgrade. Right now I have Plantronics Gamecom 388. So many people recommended HyperX Cloud,but I have another question: is it bottlenecked with the stock audio card ( Realtek ALC662) and if yes, what soundcard would be good upgrade to get the max out of the headphones (price around 30-40 euros)?

That ALC662 isnt great true. But do you plan to upgrade your rig in next 6-12 months? Because the standard audio solution that comes with modern boards is pretty good (ALC1150). If you plan to upgrade, spending money now on a soundcard would be a waste.

That aside I m not into audio that much. As long as you dont go higher end - I think - there isnt that much to gain compared to standard audio nowdays with these cards.

Also if you happen to go for an eBay solution, make sure to buy an PCIe soundcard - PCI cards are becoming obsolete, as motherboards dont have these ports anymore for the most part.

Edit:

For higher end audio gear to make sense all 3 components in the chain have to fit:

• lossless high bitrate audio source material - 128kbit mp3 wont cut it.
  • good soundcard or DAC
  • good headphones that dont produce a "designed" sound, but are relativ neutral.

edit:

if you buy now an USB-headset with integrated soundchip might be the "best" option for you.

Thanks all.

Decided to spend an extra $20 and go with the HyperX Cloud II. At some point down the road will pick up an external mic for better output quality, this set should work for me. Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this