Valachio

WoT stats vs real life stats

117 posts in this topic

Just now, A_Chodeful said:

Jagdtiger used to be one that was impossible to get over 4000 for me, but then I played it again after the buff. 

http://www.dpgwhores.com/tanks/7953/

Now I guess it's the E75, combination of being too slow and firing too slow. 

what about shit like the t95? has a high alpha gun but the speed is pretty lol.

Just now, A_Chodeful said:

That doesn't count. 

But lets just assume someone is going to try to 3 mark it (Don't even ask why) what do you think the ceiling is going to be?

But what about unicums who just played? (and didnt *study* / *work hard*) there also tons of those (atleast on EU) what kind of category would fall those :P

I myself never wanted to ``improve``, its just i hate losing, and thus try to avoid past pittfalls, the moment i try to really care for wot (or any other game for that matter) im very quickly becoming very pissed off

ps: you only live once, so wasting that on an awefull job to perhaps get it better in 2050 is kinda stupid imo, since if you get ill or whatever it was all for nothing, i rather have a job i like, as a job which might give my big moniez / career in 2050.

And without luck nobody becomes rich, sure it takes effort and suchs, but by far the most people who are rich are rich because they had a fair share of luck, if you want to be really cynical, everything is luck / out of your own hands, good example: Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs#Childhood

the TL:DR: he got adopted by different parents as initially planned (and those other parents lived in bay area) he there later met Wozniak, if hes original parents had adopted him, he most likely would have never found apple, perhaps something totally different, but that he because billionaire with Apple is total luck.

and so it goes for everyone, that good friend you grew up with, and with whom you found a company? well, what if your parents moved to a different town? the list of potential things which could have gone different are endless, except we never see all the missed opportunities

On 4/12/2016 at 1:25 PM, GehakteMolen said:

But what about unicums who just played? (and didnt *study* / *work hard*) there also tons of those (atleast on EU) what kind of category would fall those :P

I myself never wanted to ``improve``, its just i hate losing, and thus try to avoid past pittfalls, the moment i try to really care for wot (or any other game for that matter) im very quickly becoming very pissed off

ps: you only live once, so wasting that on an awefull job to perhaps get it better in 2050 is kinda stupid imo, since if you get ill or whatever it was all for nothing, i rather have a job i like, as a job which might give my big moniez / career in 2050.

And without luck nobody becomes rich, sure it takes effort and suchs, but by far the most people who are rich are rich because they had a fair share of luck, if you want to be really cynical, everything is luck / out of your own hands, good example: Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs#Childhood

the TL:DR: he got adopted by different parents as initially planned (and those other parents lived in bay area) he there later met Wozniak, if hes original parents had adopted him, he most likely would have never found apple, perhaps something totally different, but that he because billionaire with Apple is total luck.

and so it goes for everyone, that good friend you grew up with, and with whom you found a company? well, what if your parents moved to a different town? the list of potential things which could have gone different are endless, except we never see all the missed opportunities

poop

I'm still @ high school so real life seems quite a bit far away from me atm

But from what I have known, my future can be either "be the most useless person in the world and just grab my parent's money to live" or find a job here in Canada and stay here to never go back to China.

I mean if you judge by income then my family is definitely top 1%, and just by being part of that 1% I get exposed so many people that normally you wouldn't even imagine someone as useless as me can meet. So definitely becoming successful is not just about hardworking, its all about luck and little bit of work.

22 minutes ago, Megrin said:

I'm still @ high school so real life seems quite a bit far away from me atm

But from what I have known, my future can be either "be the most useless person in the world and just grab my parent's money to live" or find a job here in Canada and stay here to never go back to China.

I mean if you judge by income then my family is definitely top 1%, and just by being part of that 1% I get exposed so many people that normally you wouldn't even imagine someone as useless as me can meet. So definitely becoming successful is not just about hardworking, its all about luck and little bit of work.

Dont look at life as a far off object. Start soon and start early or you miss opportunities. Having connections help, yes; however, it all comes down to choice. You have to choose to build those connections. You have to choose to decide what your next step is. You have to choose to even accept money given to you by your parents because you dont work (not indicative of your post, just an example).

The stars may align, they may not but in the end it all comes down to choice and that is something everyone has to make on their own.

I'm Korean so there's definitely a culture of "work or die" or something of that sort. My parents moved us to the United States precisely to shield my sister and I from that attitude. If you've ever visited Korea and experienced their education system, you know that it allows for very little creativity. My parents, specifically my Dad, absolutely hates that. 

But yeah. My grandparents still live in Korea, in a relatively sizable city in the middle of the country, and from what I've heard, my great grandparents literally lived in straw-roofed homes in the country (like the traditional old Korean homes). Anyways, my grandfather was the only one to go to college out of his siblings, and my Dad had to work his ass off to go to Seoul National (the most prestigious college by quite a bit in Korea). This was critical since his attending Seoul National allowed him to build an astounding network (including Korean Parliament members, lawyers, company executives, etc, etc) And then from there he and my Mom (who also went to Seoul National, and same hometown) got us (my sister and I) to the United States, and we both (I'm still here) went to the same college, and my sister is doing consulting in the Bay Area. I'd say we've moved quite a bit, both physically and figuratively, considering our family's roots in some rural nowhere in Korea. 

Now, reading over all tangential bragging that I did above, it really boils down to this. You put in the work, and you take full advantage of the opportunities that you are exposed to. 

There's a famous anecdote about the Korean President Roh Mu Hyun. Apparently, his family was so poor (as were many Korean households in the early to mid 20th century) that he was forced to study in a room that he dug in the yard, by candlelight. Obviously exaggerated, but you get the point.

Also to note is the 10,000 hour rule from Malcolm Gladwell's book, Outliers. At some point, talent stops mattering. You just have to have enough. After that, it's work.

All your life stories remind me that I'm not the generation level you guys are on, I'm on level of your fathers and grandfathers, I have to work my ass off to get my future kids(if I decide to have any) future they deserve.

Holy shit, we are getting way too philosophical.  I was just trying to make a very simple argument - There are certain similarities between unicums and the 1%.  Not trying to downplay poor people.  Also I always assumed that doctors are lawyers are part of the 1%, maybe it's because I live in Canada.  Here's the most recent article I can find about the 1% club.  222k is nothing for an experienced doctor.  If that's not the case in the US, scratch what I said...

1 misconception - Monetary wealth/career success = happiness.  I never said that.  When I was working my way to the top of the WN8 ladder, I didn't actually enjoy the game itself; I just enjoyed the WN8 grind.  I raged a lot when I didn't perform well.  Now I just play for fun.  I still manage to maintain a 4k WN8 and basically never rage.  I am much more happy playing this game than before.  Some people don't want to climb the wealth ladder, and that's fine if they enjoy their lives the way it is. 

7 hours ago, hazzgar said:

2. Poor people work hard too. It is also luck. Not luck as in you found 10 milion dolars but being born with:

a) Parents that are a good mix of caring and motivating so you don't end up a lazy fuck or a fucked up mentally ill idiot that can't speak to people.

b) Parents, school and friends that motivate you, give you examples you can learn on and give you those important connections. I work hard as fuck but I'm pretty sure without my connections I wouldn't even know my job existed (most people don't know)

c) a family that allows you to grow instead of having to provide as soon as possible. I have a ton of friend who benefited from being able to not earn for a very long time since their businesses started earning 5+ years after college

You are getting too philosophical at this point.  We are approaching the whole 'free will is an illusion' zone.

Also thanks Kewei; can't look into this thread without seeing your e-peen.

1 hour ago, A_Chodeful said:

It's a combination of factors.

I hate it when rich or "successful" people say "it's because I worked hard", no you cunt, it's because the stars aligned for you so that hard work would pay off. Most people don't ever get that chance. 

That fits my experience as well.  I know one self made millionaire.  Took some tips and advice from him that have definitely improved my bottom line.

Although he didn't have a big inheritance or anything like that, he did have a stable home, good nutrition, and good education.  He definitely worked hard too.  He did an essentially unpaid internship for 4 years, living off of ramen.  But the connections he made off of that paid off.  He got his first job at 23, making over 80k, plus a food allowance, plus free housing.  

There are times when, to me, he seems lucky.  Truth is, he simply has the means to capitalize on any opportunity.  I've had some great opportunities that I've had to let pass by.  And I think that's at the heart of this discussion.  Successful IRL people have that ability.  Purple tankers have it as well.  In fact, both have a habit of creating opportunities that will benefit them.

1 hour ago, DasWiking said:

Dont look at life as a far off object. Start soon and start early or you miss opportunities. Having connections help, yes; however, it all comes down to choice. You have to choose to build those connections. You have to choose to decide what your next step is. You have to choose to even accept money given to you by your parents because you dont work (not indicative of your post, just an example).

The stars may align, they may not but in the end it all comes down to choice and that is something everyone has to make on their own.

True, but I'm the kind of people who does not want to be successful. I've seen how my dad worked so hard as it has destroyed his health and family life. (we only meet once a month or so two years ago before I came to Canada)

What really touched me was last summer when his company went south and they were under something like 1 billion CNY of debt. He even considered escaping from te country at that time because how bankrupt doesn't really provide any protection in China. We did eventually come back tho.

28 minutes ago, cpraf104 said:

So.... solution to poverty --> "Git gud skreb"

Yeah but almost whole Africa and some portions of Asia don't have gold to free exp bad grinds. :doge: 

3 hours ago, A_Chodeful said:

I hate it when rich or "successful" people say "it's because I worked hard", no you cunt, it's because the stars aligned for you so that hard work would pay off. Most people don't ever get that chance. 

Bullshit. You could have wasted that IQ; you could have languished in that environment; you could have abandoned the network; and you could have cbosen not to use your balls and stake out on your own... In your case, the opportunities were there and you took advantage of them as many millions have before you. 

Further, what of those with more modest intellectual capacity and without environment and networks but still exercise their balls and make something? 

You act like that success is just presented on a platter and is waiting for nubby fingers to grasp on to it... Or maybe I misread/misunderstood you? 

This is some official forums level shit...

Although I agree there is some analogs between the IRL 1% and Unica as far as perception by the 99% goes, I don't believe it's so black and white. There is a vocal, whiny minority in the 99% that I sense you are incorrectly thinking represents the 99%.

Then yall started talking about what it takes to be successful IRL and things went off the rails...

3 hours ago, Valachio said:

Holy shit, we are getting way too philosophical.  I was just trying to make a very simple argument - There are certain similarities between unicums and the 1%.  Not trying to downplay poor people.  Also I always assumed that doctors are lawyers are part of the 1%, maybe it's because I live in Canada.  Here's the most recent article I can find about the 1% club.  222k is nothing for an experienced doctor.  If that's not the case in the US, scratch what I said...

1 misconception - Monetary wealth/career success = happiness.  I never said that.  When I was working my way to the top of the WN8 ladder, I didn't actually enjoy the game itself; I just enjoyed the WN8 grind.  I raged a lot when I didn't perform well.  Now I just play for fun.  I still manage to maintain a 4k WN8 and basically never rage.  I am much more happy playing this game than before.  Some people don't want to climb the wealth ladder, and that's fine if they enjoy their lives the way it is. 

You are getting too philosophical at this point.  We are approaching the whole 'free will is an illusion' zone.

Also thanks Kewei; can't look into this thread without seeing your e-peen.

Pretty much;

I had a rough patch of medical issues not long ago. Basically got a ticket saying I have less than 15 years to live a "Normal life". Neuro-degradation at my age has a way of saying do what you want to do before you don't even remember basic cognitive functions such as breathing for example. So having given up dreams to live for myself in a long term sense. I instead want to define my success by impacting others in a meaningful way. Volunteering and tutoring kids in otherwise "Ghetto" or Under developed areas in numerous fields such as writing, reading, mathematics, history etc. has changed my view on life as a whole. While I wont go into the philosophical bullshit. The fact of the matter is that instead of moping around and going from meal to meal from a self loathing and self pity ticket; I picked up whatever pieces remained and am heading down a path where any amount of money could be flung at me and I wouldn't even bat an eye at it. To me heading down the road I'm going is where I will find success in my life. 

TLDR: Gave up my degree into nuclear engineering for teaching.

12 minutes ago, Assad said:

Pretty much;

I had a rough patch of medical issues not long ago. Basically got a ticket saying I have less than 15 years to live a "Normal life". Neuro-degradation at my age has a way of saying do what you want to do before you don't even remember basic cognitive functions such as breathing for example. So having given up dreams to live for myself in a long term sense. I instead want to define my success by impacting others in a meaningful way. Volunteering and tutoring kids in otherwise "Ghetto" or Under developed areas in numerous fields such as writing, reading, mathematics, history etc. has changed my view on life as a whole. While I wont go into the philosophical bullshit. The fact of the matter is that instead of moping around and going from meal to meal from a self loathing and self pity ticket; I picked up whatever pieces remained and am heading down a path where any amount of money could be flung at me and I wouldn't even bat an eye at it. To me heading down the road I'm going is where I will find success in my life. 

Sell your life as a movie script. 

12 minutes ago, Assad said:

Pretty much;

You obviously have a much broader view of life than most of us here due to your condition.  Good luck bro.  

2 minutes ago, A_Chodeful said:

Sell your life as a movie script. 

So I can end up as legendary as Helen Keller? 

1 minute ago, Valachio said:

You obviously have a much broader view of life than most of us here due to your condition.  Good luck bro.  

Thanks, good luck to yours as well :D