SumiXam

Hellcat Appreciation Thread

139 posts in this topic

I noticed that we don't have a Hellcat appreciation thread. There is a certain satisfaction with having top damage and XP in a Tier 8 battle with a Tier 6 vehicle not to mention an additional 2.5k in damage on spotting.   :doubleguns:

It also helps that the other team seemed somewhat clueless, but that seems to be par for the course. 

gyHcvQf.jpg

Kitty%20Results2.JPG

This is my seal clubbing tank and easily my most played.  I easily averaged 3x my hp in damage in it yesterday and I think I'm right at 2x damage/game over all.  The Hellcat is an absolute beast.

I'd like to echo the above query, but more broadly:

What are the key gameplay elements to keep in mind moving from the T49 to the Hellcat? And how should aspiring good players best adjust to and take advantage of those differences?

This board bears a significant responsibility for spreading the Gospel of T49, but I haven't seen a guide on transitioning to its big brother. Certain changes are obvious:

- Hellcat has less camo

- Hellcat has lower Rof/ higher alpha

- Hellcat is less mobile.

- Hellcat's top gun is more accurate.

The Hellcat's limitations versus the T49 seem to have pretty clear implications, but what situations (if any) actually favor the Hellcat over the T49? Understanding that specifically could probably help a lot of the players that adopt the T49 and then look to move up (like me, so thank you!).

I would think the M18 shines in situations where you wouldn't want to be tempted to stick around for a 2d or 3d shot with T49 and could do comparable damage in 1 shot alpha with Hellcat, but how do you find and exploit those situations?

Cheers, and thank you

S

Does the Hellcat use the same setup as the T49 that Allurai posted?

Basically. Same equipment. For ammo: 20 AP, 10 gold. For consumables I would go with fire extinguisher instead of the 100 octane gas since it's prone to being set on fire

I'd like to echo the above query, but more broadly:

What are the key gameplay elements to keep in mind moving from the T49 to the Hellcat? And how should aspiring good players best adjust to and take advantage of those differences?

This board bears a significant responsibility for spreading the Gospel of T49, but I haven't seen a guide on transitioning to its big brother. Certain changes are obvious:

- Hellcat has less camo

- Hellcat has lower Rof/ higher alpha

- Hellcat is less mobile.

- Hellcat's top gun is more accurate.

The Hellcat's limitations versus the T49 seem to have pretty clear implications, but what situations (if any) actually favor the Hellcat over the T49? Understanding that specifically could probably help a lot of the players that adopt the T49 and then look to move up (like me, so thank you!).

I would think the M18 shines in situations where you wouldn't want to be tempted to stick around for a 2d or 3d shot with T49 and could do comparable damage in 1 shot alpha with Hellcat, but how do you find and exploit those situations?

Cheers, and thank you

S

Since the Hellcat has pathetic armour and HP compared to other Tier 6s you should use it in a sniping role and always sit back unlike the T49 which can do a bit more because of its better acceleration/mobility compared to the Hellcat

Since the Hellcat has good AP pen and excellent Gold pen plus is accurate as you said, this makes it ideal for sniping whereas the T49 is not as ideal for sniping because it'll *plink plink plink* because of relatively low pen especially since the shell loses pen over range and also it's not that accurate

Although don't be afraid to get close and personal if the need arises since its turret helps it greatly in CQB

One of the big differences is the HP pool. There are a few more risks you can take with the Hellcat because you can't be 1 shot. T49 can be 1 shot by a pretty big pile of tanks (105 Derps to begin with) so you have to be very careful in circumastances where you get spotted. The Hellcat is more forgiving, as you can take a shot from pretty much everything it MMs against. I think this makes the Hellcat a better mop up tank in the late game, as there are alot more tanks it can finish off in 1 shot, and you can survive a shot.

Basically. Same equipment. For ammo: 20 AP, 10 gold. For consumables I would go with fire extinguisher instead of the 100 octane gas since it's prone to being set on fire

I was hit this morning causing a fire with no extinguisher and made the change. Thank you for confirming my suspicion.. 

I switched my Hellcat around to include Binos yesterday and this tank went from awesome to amazingly awesome. It's more of a sniper and damage dealer than the T49. Get to those spots where you can get camoed and have firing lanes on large parts of the map and you'll rack up damage due to the glorious aim time (I replaced GLD with the binos as the improved aim time was negligable.). Personally I use fuel over the fire extinguisher as I feel if you are getting hit at all in the Hellcat you are doing it wrong in the first place.

I like both T49 and hellcat equally. the both amazing tank (+they are in same line so very easy to get :3)

hellcat is more multipurpose than T49. while T49 have better camo hax. it only really work on open map. not so on city map. thanks to alpha, hellcat can do better in city than T49 while still awesome in open map. not  to mention the alpha help hellcat to fight even in T8

I like both T49 and hellcat equally. the both amazing tank (+they are in same line so very easy to get :3)

hellcat is more multipurpose than T49. while T49 have better camo hax. it only really work on open map. not so on city map. thanks to alpha, hellcat can do better in city than T49 while still awesome in open map. not to mention the alpha help hellcat to fight even in T8

The alpha and hp do make it workable in more hands-on situations like that, but it doesn't work those situations *well* and the T49 is better in almost every other situation. I love my Hellcat because it's fun but honestly I'd rather be a T49 in tier 6 fights. Harder to be detected, easier to fire from cover, higher DPM. The reload time the Hellcat has for doing little over twice the T49's damage makes me sad when I can sustain fire.

not  to mention the alpha help hellcat to fight even in T8

Very true. Time and time again, I come out as the most damage in Tier 8 battles. A competent Hellcat driver is a force to be reckoned with

The alpha and hp do make it workable in more hands-on situations like that, but it doesn't work those situations *well* and the T49 is better in almost every other situation. I love my Hellcat because it's fun but honestly I'd rather be a T49 in tier 6 fights. Harder to be detected, easier to fire from cover, higher DPM. The reload time the Hellcat has for doing little over twice the T49's damage makes me sad when I can sustain fire.

You forgot to add 'but this is just my opinion' to the end of that

For first skill I'd go everyone camo except commander who gets 6th sense, for second I'd get camo on the commander as well, designated target for the gunner (good for spotting a guy through a bush, backing away from the bush and firing without breaking bush camo), offroad driving for the driver, situational awareness for the radioman and repair for the loader.

Past that get whatever fits your playstyle. Use binocs camo net and rammer and rep kit, first aid and fire extinguisher

The key for the Hellcat is abusing hull down positions (the turret is actually pretty damn well armored and eating multiple IS-3 or tiger II shells for no damage is common) and driving over a hill into a bush undetected, spotting, taking 240 hp off of a guy and retreating back over the hill if spotted or continuing firing if unspotted is key. Hills with bushes on the top are your best friend since you can abuse camo and your turret, and just go all the way back over the hill and break vision and go somewhere else if it looks like it's getting bad.

If the enemy is getting too close (200 meters) just retreat back a few hundred meters and start sniping them again.

Doing this over the past few months has given me an average DPG of 1800-2200 in the hellcat (overall is still meh because I have like 600 games in the hellcat where I was bad or [email protected])

Hellcat is i Great tank. It is my Favourite tank, and i almost have A thousand games in it.

It is the tank I have learned most of the game with. I learned Camo and vision Mechanics with it, I learned Effective crew Setups with it, i basically learned the whole game while playing that one tank.

Now i am getting [email protected], I can constantly do well in games with it. I dont even consider a game to be anything but bad unless i do over 1K damage. but even then if i do under 1500 damage its only a 'meh' game. i only ever have a good game If i do over 2K damage.

I recently had a 3500 damage LOSS in my M18 when I was bottom tier, in a tier 8 game. I was the only person to do over 2K damage, and the last player on my team trying to defend the cap from 4 tier 8's. and even then i killed a pershing and almost killed a Jagpanther 2 before i died.

Just FYI, according to the Russian testers, Hellcat camouflage rating is pretty much identical to the T49.

T49: 18.3% stationary, 7% while firing.

Hellcat: 18.5% stationary, 6.8% while firing.

The Hellcat, to me, is actually the better vehicle of the two, and the T49 is more abusable only because it faces easier vehicles and less experienced opponents.  More accurate gun, higher alpha, higher penetration, higher view range and the same stealth, in my book that's a winning combination.  The Hellcat is also far more capable of punching above its weight thanks to the awesome premium APCR round available to it (243mm pen against tier 8s?  Yes please!).

From a gameplay perspective, the Hellcat is nearly identical to the T49.  When you need to peekaboo, or pretend you are a medium tank (not that either is advisable), you can do just so, unlike the T49.  Just like the T49, it is very capable of flying between flanks to reinforce them.  It is just as capable of flanking targets or escaping from dangerous stuff getting too close, in order to get back to "undetectable" engagement ranges.  At all other times you abuse vision mechanics all day to the cries of hacks.

I recently had a 3500 damage LOSS in my M18 when I was bottom tier, in a tier 8 game. I was the only person to do over 2K damage, and the last player on my team trying to defend the cap from 4 tier 8's. and even then i killed a pershing and almost killed a Jagpanther 2 before i died.

I'd like to rub some salt into that wound:

Victory!, M18 Hellcat, Siegfried Line, 8/20/13 8:55 PM: 2,272 nXP, 3,559 dmg

;)

I loved my little Hellkitty, and I still do but I have moved on for now down the line.

I have stripped her of all armaments, and re-trained her crew for the 25/2.

She sits in my garage in mothballs for now, but I know I will be playing her soon.

Had a blast in it, will for sure play it again, will NOT be sold. Ever!

I prefer the T49, but yeah, it's a great tank.

MO2alXS.jpg

Nearly 11k XP (with x5).

I'd like to rub some salt into that wound:

Victory!, M18 Hellcat, Siegfried Line, 8/20/13 8:55 PM: 2,272 nXP, 3,559 dmg

;)

Ahh yes, but was that a tier 8 game? nope :P I will post the screenshot when I get home if I remember.

Ahh yes, but was that a tier 8 game? nope :P I will post the screenshot when I get home if I remember.

Tier 6 battle, which actually makes it harder to get high damage, since you are competing with your teammates for a lower HP pool.

IMO, the answer to tier 8 battles is a liberal application of APCR.  I used to carry 20 AP / 10 APCR but eventually went up to 15/15, at which point tier 8 battles became just like all the other ones ...

I used to carry 20 AP / 10 APCR but eventually went up to 15/15, at which point tier 8 battles became just like all the other ones ...

15/15? That's a waste of credits and would be hard to profit

It's easy to burn over half your ammo and in your case you would be using gold ammo when you don't need it

Since the Hellcat has pathetic armour and HP compared to other Tier 6s you should use it in a sniping role and always sit back unlike the T49 which can do a bit more because of its better acceleration/mobility compared to the Hellcat

Since the Hellcat has good AP pen and excellent Gold pen plus is accurate as you said, this makes it ideal for sniping whereas the T49 is not as ideal for sniping because it'll *plink plink plink* because of relatively low pen especially since the shell loses pen over range and also it's not that accurate

Although don't be afraid to get close and personal if the need arises since its turret helps it greatly in CQB

In the M18/Hellcat guide I stated that I get set on fire once every 125 matches or so on average (probably closer to once every 130 now as it hasn't happened lately).  Fuel is therefore more useful since it helps in 100% of those matches....

If you are getting set on fire a lot perhaps you need to re-evaluate your play style?

Who cares? We're talking about carrying tier 8 matches here. Using up the 15 AP shells first you'll still make a good profit most tier 6 games.

This ^^^ Unless you start out spamming APCR, then yes, you will not make anything...I carry 18/12...Makes profit like a champ...

id66.jpg

This ^^^ Unless you start out spamming APCR, then yes, you will not make anything...I carry 18/12...Makes profit like a champ...

18/12 is what I started carrying as well.  Used to be 20/10, but I favor damage over money making anyway....

id66.jpg

That's only 15540 base (premium for the win?). That's not going to be very much of a net for non-premium tankers. <shrug> Just thought I'd point that out. I believe APCR cost 3 or 4k per shell. Even if it is 1k per shell, if you fired 12 you're almost starting off at negative credits. I don't see using a lot of APCR on the Hellcat as a good thing. I think my load-out has 4 APCR and 2 HE, maybe one now. The rest are AP. I find that I use APCR once in a blue moon. I guess I just don't shoot tanks frontally often or something. I've never found that I can't hit stuff with the Hellcat. Now, the T20, yeah, that has problems. Same Hellcat 90mm gun, so, hitting tier IX tanks it has some issues. But I don't have any such issues in the Hellcat.