JunkersHiryu

JHTI's Think Tank Episode 1: Premium Vehicles!

Premium Choices In The Game  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the in game goods/ items are too expensive?

• No they are just fine!
    • Maybe but i don't buy too much... i'll sit on the fence.
    • Yes! I can barely afford them!

19 posts in this topic

Think Tank!

I've started a new Vlog that asks you, the player, a question that has been either an issue of contention or something that has been mentioned quite a few times with no real answers. I would love to show everyone that we can come together as a community and work together to show that we can hold a conversation that is critical but also CONSTRUCTIVE

The overall question for those that don't watch the video is how do you feel about premium tank, tank bundles, or the tanks that are "rare" but cost $100.00 or more. I'm interested in what you have to say on this topic so lets keep it civil everyone. There is no right answer but i do expect a lot of different answers. Let's open a discussion where you can be heard properly and make changes happen to the game in the ORDER you would like to see them! Thanks everyone! If you enjoy the video don't forget to subscribe to see the rest of the series and follow me on social media as well! 

-Junkershiryu

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/junkershiryu
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/junkershiryu
Follow me on Twitch: http://twitch.tv/junkershiryu

I have a total of 37 Premium Tanks and I rarely play more than about 4 of them: IS6, T34, E-25, CDC

I only purchased about 6 of them through the Premium Shop, all the rest were purchased or earned in game.

Shop Purchases:  Type 59, Heavy Bundle (KV5,KV220,PZB2,M3), E-25

My personal purchase limit is about $40-50.  I just can't see myself EVER spending more that $50 on a pixel tank.  

I assume I know why WG is only selling the newer tanks in the store (too much free Skirmish Gold).  But I haven't really even considered any of them (except the CromB) based on the poor reviews and general lack of interest.  I already have a couple high credit earning tanks and I rarely use any of my premiums for crew training any more.

In a weird twist of fate I kinda think the £99.00 bundles for the super rare tanks are kind of ok. If someone wants to spend that kind of money on getting a uber rare tank then that's fine by me. 

Having said this the tanks that are always in the premium shop (Read accessible premiums) selling for £30 are a big investment (well at least it is for me being a student and all) and frankly I do not understand why heavies are more expensive (I'm sure there is a reason for this that someone reading this may be able to tell me). I get that they are running a company but going from £20 for an su12244 (T7) to £21 for a super-pershing (T8) and then jumping to £34 for the t34 (T8)? That doesn't seem like good tier/price scaling why not have T7 around 20 and then t8 around 25-6. Surely that makes more sense than jumping up £10 for a single class of tank.

Tanks that are the first of a nation/ line are also a bit of a contentious bone. I know after the whole 'type 59 op omg pls nerf fuk wg fuc dis' fiasco (I wasn't playing tanks back then) they have treading a fine line balance wise (premiums being worse than regular). However many 'First' tanks are inevitably a bit shit (T7 and up cos they cost larger amounts). The scorpion (US TD's) is so situational it is unreal (perhaps someone could make it work but not me (*btw didn't play it on my account*)), prior the buff the FV (UK MD) was a bit shit (fixed now :)), STA2 for a long time was held to be a bit sh1t and similarly with the panther 88 (haven't ever played these last 2 so I have no idea).

Not sure if that's what you were looking for but I'm really tired and the lines are floating off the screen so I'm not going to make sure it makes sense, i'll edit in the morning.

----random vent below be warned----

a final bugbear (just because its occurring at the moment) is CW tank reward tanks, I do get it. everyone wants the tank, not everyone can have it. But I'm 90% sure I wont be able to get it and that stings a bit. When I first started WOT my first two lines were UK meds and UK heavies, so far I have every single tank both prem and non prem.... now I wont :(. But hey ho ill get over it eventually ;)

I'd like to point out two things about premiums tanks:

They should not be "gimmicky" in terms of play style. I think we can all agree one trick ponies get boring fast.

Also, I'm not sure how NA got it, but recent M41 90 bundles seemed okay. It's important to give one cheap bundle with only tank in it, since some people can't afford luxury bundle but they would really like the tank. Another thing is to note they don't give some tanks for gold at all, not even for limited time. Buying bigger gold bundles seem kinda less important(I know there's premium and all, but players usually buy 5,5k gold for 2 months of premium time worth).

EDIT: Oh and lets not forget unjustified price discrepancy Junkers mentioned. If you're going to do it WG, make reasoning behind it visible and justified. 

there should be no premium tanks sold with bundles olny, you should always have the option to buy the tank by itself, frankly forcing people to buy bundles just to get the tank they want is unfair. if their willing to buy the tank in the first place why do they have to get some silly stuff attached to it.

selling clearly underpowered vehicles out the gate is unfair for consumers and dosent make much sense because not many people buy them, im not saying make them overpowered but they should come with a selling point (is6 dpm - trolly armour, mutz gun dep and mobility, t34 AP pen, jt 88 dpm and so forth) some of these vehicles have nothing going for them.

apart from that i dont think you can really criticize WG in regards to premiums to much. they are a business and it is a free to play game after all, if your unhappy with the price of what they are offering vote with your wallet and dont buy the product

1 hour ago, no_name_cro said:

I'd like to point out two things about premiums tanks:

They should not be "gimmicky" in terms of play style. I think we can all agree one trick ponies get boring fast.

Also, I'm not sure how NA got it, but recent M41 90 bundles seemed okay. It's important to give one cheap bundle with only tank in it, since some people can't afford luxury bundle but they would really like the tank. Another thing is to note they don't give some tanks for gold at all, not even for limited time. Buying bigger gold bundles seem kinda less important(I know there's premium and all, but players usually buy 5,5k gold for 2 months of premium time worth).

EDIT: Oh and lets not forget unjustified price discrepancy Junkers mentioned. If you're going to do it WG, make reasoning behind it visible and justified. 

M41 bundle was the perfect example of a good prem, and good bundles.

Let's not forget selling shitty bundles include paying for stuff you can earn in game. I have no real reason to buy bundle which gives me credits and equipment or crew for premium tank. That's pure money grab if you ask me.

honestly it depends on the tank.

a $100+ bundle for a Pz IIJ, yes, obviously. that tanks so disgusting, but others? especially if they are meh tanks? not really

You know, I am a pretty new player but I do have a number of premiums. Some I have purchased simply because I was so excited to be playing WoT for the first time and wanted to get my hands on some shiny tanks. Well, that excitement wore off a bit and especially towards premium vehicles. I've quickly realized that most of them are really a waste of my own money as most of them are just simply mediocre to say the least. Yes, they do make fractionally more money than regular tanks, but that just doesn't hold much interest in the vehicle once you get past that aspect. I actually feel like playing most of my premiums as almost a chore. Like I need some credits, so I'll grind game after game after game with some premium. Most of the time, I try to avoid them if I'm not struggling too much for credits. There's just not much enjoyment in rolling around in mostly mediocre tanks. And as more and more premiums appear, I just don't have any desire to spend my money on any of them because of what I have already experienced with the one's I own.

What also gets me a bit less happy to see is like for example the latest offering of a rare premium for the 5th anniversary celebration, the Hydro tank. It came in an obscenely ridiculous bundle for pretty much $100. The tank itself is the very definition of mediocre, maybe even worse than that and just because it is supposedly rare it is put into a ridiculous bundle. Something like this simply feels like WG is just trying to hook those players with more money than sense, nothing more.

I guess what I'm trying to generally convey is that premiums need offer better value for the money asked for them and that value should be represented in how the tank plays and feels.

Most of the tanks in the premium shop currently I wouldn't pay more than $20.  Out of all of the tanks there, the only one worth the price is the CDC.  All the others are over inflated.  That's why we play so many tourneys on the NA server, get gold so we can buy them for free in the tech tree.

I really dislike WG's bundle policy.

Virtual goods can't be "Scarce" or "Rare". Thus I don't really trust WG much if they say "Yo, this SUPER RARE PzKpfw II Ausf. J/BTSV/Type 59 comes with $100 bux of bundle stuff because it's so rare".

WG has the right to price their goods however they see fit. I don't mind $60 for top tier premium tanks or whatever the cost is, but I do mind not being allowed to buy what I want the way I want it.
I don't play much anymore, but while I still played somewhat regularily, I oftentimes found myself passing on premium tanks I wanted because I didn't want the extra $75 worth of stuff in the bundle.
Netflix eats cable TV alive because you pay to watch what you want, you don't pay for a bundle of channels you never even watch anyway.

When you buy a car, you can choose not to buy the factory-approved ricer kit.

When you buy a pack of Doritos in the store, you can choose not to buy a coke to go with it.

Why can't I just pick the tank up and leave the 37.000.000 gold, 46 years of premium and signed poster card from :serb: ?

Honestly the only reason i would every spend €100 on a bundle  is if its a 180 days premium with a  Tier 8 Tank as that would be a more fair deal since  the 160 days is worth about €40 normally and with the tank its imo a fair price however im sure people will disagree with this and its just a example really maybe it should be 180 days + x amount of gold.. I just feel that wg is pricing themself out of  possible consumers by putting like Type 59 Tank + 3000 gold it just is not a big enough incentive for me to buy any of the rare tanks.

On the positive note i do appricate that finally you can buy tanks like the M1 90 unbundled and  that you do not have to be forced to buy a €50 euro package

Its also a case of buyers be wary. It would be good if WG linked rental tanks say  like 3 days of rental period for a prenium tank before it comes into the gift shop then people will have a better idea what the tank is about other then youtube and stats. Right now its pretty easy to make a mistake and buy a prenium tank that does not fit your play style which leads to more raging for the people that bought them

The only money I've spent on this game has been for gold and prem time and only then when it was on a steep discount. I badly wanted to get the spershing and is6 2-3 years ago and could never justify it. Without them I've grinded out the m48 and is7 (and other tier 10s) while accumulating 60 million credits and several 4 and 5 skill crews. So clearly, the prem tanks werent necesaary. Hence, Im still sitting on the fence wrt buying prem tanks. 

Prem tank over $50 is a no-go from the start. Tier 8 heavies in the $30 range is acceptable and Id buy there. Tier 8 meds in the $20 range and, again, Id buy there. In fact, I bet the volume of prem tank pirchases would shoot up at those prices earning wg tons of profit. 

The very best type of package for me right  now would be a tier 8 prem, 90 days prem time, and 5k gold for $75. Id see real value in that. But, at current prices that'd be well over $100 and that price point is just unrealistic to a casual gamer like me. 

As you can tell, yeah, I think the prem shop prices are not just expensive, but overly expensive. Consequently, I won't be spending more money in this game despite having $200 set aside for it. That money will likely be spent on buying another game or two, but not on wot. 

On 4/21/2016 at 6:36 PM, rabidmonkey679 said:

In a weird twist of fate I kinda think the £99.00 bundles for the super rare tanks are kind of ok. If someone wants to spend that kind of money on getting a uber rare tank then that's fine by me. 

I think, considering that people have paid hundreds of dollars for RU codes for them, that the gold inflated bundles aren't all that terrible. But they can't keep going to that well -- the players still need something viable to spend all that gold on.

On 4/22/2016 at 9:11 PM, M4A3E8sherman said:

I formed my entire garage literally without paying a cent, freeloader4life.

lol. Since WoT is a MMO that requires an enemy for us "whales" to shoot at, you have literally given away 1,440+ hours of free labor to WG.  :serb:

On April 26, 2016 at 11:59 AM, boxty said:

lol. Since WoT is a MMO that requires an enemy for us "whales" to shoot at, you have literally given away 1,440+ hours of free labor to WG.  :serb:

One would hope with any game that the majority of time doesn't count as labor and is a leisure activity.

it isn't clear that this is true for many players however.