KenyanWarlord

Why I play without XVM - and maybe you should too

88 posts in this topic

I just like switching up my nationalities. Swedish Teal shitter ATM.

7 minutes ago, Politx_Killer said:

I just like switching up my nationalities. Swedish Teal shitter ATM.

Buthan or burst !

320px-Flag_of_Bhutan.svg.png

10 hours ago, KenyanWarlord said:

Because that useful info turns into an, in my opinion, unfair advantage over the opposing team. 

By this logic no mods at all should be used then? Since they all do something useful for you?

I've been playing without XVM for quite a while, around 2014 I think, but not for the reasons you laid out. I just don't like my screen looking like a christmas tree and prefer to make decisions based on team comp and deployment rather than player skill. In any case it's not like it's particularly hard to recognize tags from the top clans to identify above average players that might give you trouble.

And refusing to platoon tier tens because it's not fair to the pubbies? I thought stomping pubbies was the point in this game?!

12 hours ago, KenyanWarlord said:

Does you having fun trump everyone else having fun, or do you believe everyone having a mutually good time is more fun? I'm the second option, as stated before. This is the reason why I hardly ever platoon my tier 10 tanks with other people. If I do, it will be offset tanks that don't really work in the same areas, such as a T-62A with my T57 or something of the like. The reason for this being that I know it isn't fun to lose, especially when you're facing statistically superior players in extremely strong platoon tanks. Tier 10 is, obviously, where the strongest tanks are so I try my best to avoid playing them in platoons with other strong players to limit the heartache felt by the opposing team. Especially due to the fact that often times you'll have one statistically strong platoon in a game, with no real opposition on the opposing team who have the teamwork to take them down.

This is where participation trophies come from.

I ran XVM from patch 8.7 through patch 9.13.

Removing it has only made sorting tanks that much more difficult and beyond frustrating, and on a rare occasion paying gold when credits didn't get turned to it. 

I see no point in XVM now, especially with 9.15 coming BUT if someone wants to run it by all means they should. It gains them no tactical advantage over my own play since the mini-map is now standard. Back in the day, this was a HUGE advantage. Now? Playing field is as level as it can be with 99.9% of the legit mods

I haven't re-enabled XVM since I started playing a little again. Right now I'm so rusty it would just be an information overload.

I think it can be useful but on a case-by-case basis. In my case, back when I was playing properly and doing well (E.g. My 60-day WN7 was almost purple) XVM may have been helpful but mostly it was depressing.

I guess if you can use it while also ignoring the demoralising effect of seeing your entire team is an even worse player than you are then it's all good...

I stopped running XVM a few hundred battles ago. You know what? I play better because I am not frustrated at login by looking at %win details and seas of people worse than me. I do not feel the need to focus one person or another. Anyone can have a good day at the office and beat anyone. Anyone can have a bad day too. Turning XVM off has made me think more about the tanks the other team has and to play accordingly to win. You can only beat what is in front of you, XVM or not. 

Case in point. Last night on Malinovka, there was a Pz1C on our team who was a complete shitter by all accounts. He had flipped on his side and called for help. I did not notice as I was busy at first but once I got near him I saw him on his side and pushed him upright. He then proceeded to help me carry us to a win. I am talking a 1700 battle rating level player who then played like a unicum for 5 minutes. The point I am trying to make is that stats mean nothing. 

I am not even going to comment on your IB education. It is not relevant to the topic you started.

XVM makes me depressed by my results and my teammates

10 hours ago, M4A3E8sherman said:

Main reasons I don't use XVM:

1. I'm a simpleton and I get distracted by all the bright colors.

2. Seeing wave after wave of red gets depressing.

When I need a XVM break, ^ this
You also add a healthy 1-1.5 FPS (XVM is a very heavy mod)

The only thing I miss about XVM was the server ping while in the garage. It allowed me to know if my internet was going to troll me or not.

30 minutes ago, MoshiMoshi778 said:

The only thing I miss about XVM was the server ping while in the garage. It allowed me to know if my internet was going to troll me or not.

I dont remember if it's in the garage of the login screen, but next patch they are adding that to vanilla :)

Main reason I use xvm is for stuff like the three row carousel, and better tank filters. I have lots of tanks, and it just makes it less of a pain to sort through them. Stats I use primarily to track my own advancement. Also, the only unfair advantage is the one the other guy has.

11 hours ago, Horner said:

If you're good, of course you're going to get more attention. That's how competition works. I played some sports during my time in middle/high school. In basketball, we had these little things called scouting reports. Literally the RL version of XVM, broke down how good every player was and how much of a threat they were to us. The best players got double teamed come game time, and were denied when off-ball. That's just the way it goes. There's nothing unfair about it. Annoying, maybe. But not unfair.

The difference is you did not have all the parents on the side of the court throwing wrenches and crowbars at you all game trying to stop you from competing. Arty is like that, if an arty has a hard on for you, you're fucked for the rest of the game and good luck farming damage from behind that rock you're sitting behind. It absolutely is unfair to the higher skilled player.  

Also OP, good on you for not being a faggot and wanting to get good at the game through superior knowledge and execution of skill and not exploit broken game mechanics. But the way you phrased your argument was incredibly cringe-inducing (I'me not like most guys much?). My first thought was this guy. This forum is all about mechanical and psychological approaches to mastering the game, the moral approach will not work to persuade us to do or don't do something. Give us factual evidence.  

e1e8571d6242566fbb2db80f916c6e65.jpg 

1 hour ago, 1n_Soviet_Russia said:

The difference is you did not have all the parents on the side of the court throwing wrenches and crowbars at you all game trying to stop you from competing. Arty is like that, if an arty has a hard on for you, you're fucked for the rest of the game and good luck farming damage from behind that rock you're sitting behind. It absolutely is unfair to the higher skilled player.  

Maybe a better analogy for s̶k̶y̶c̶a̶n̶c̶e̶r̶ artillery is the enforcer in ice hockey.

18 minutes ago, Nicarasu said:

Main reason I use xvm is for stuff like the three row carousel, and better tank filters. I have lots of tanks, and it just makes it less of a pain to sort through them. Stats I use primarily to track my own advancement. Also, the only unfair advantage is the one the other guy has.

This is my main reason for using XVM as well.  The carousel is useless without it.  I also prefer the alternate 6th sense icon/sounds.

15 minutes ago, 1n_Soviet_Russia said:

Doesn't everyone (tomatoes included) feel it's unfair to be targeted by arty?

WHAT IF I LIKE RAINBOWS HUH 

The only thing I miss about XVM is the spotted markers for tanks. It gets hard keeping track of what's been camping in the back and what's potentially around the corner. Otherwise the info really isn't that helpful. 

Why are we still talking about this crap?

What this guy has been doing was take a topic the community generally considers cancer (arta, xvm), then make a post explaining why he personally doesn't use them, but with a twist, so now we have this clusterfuck.

I r8 the b8 0/8 m8s.

8 hours ago, nemlengyel said:

I r8 the b8 0/8 m8s.

that slang tho:surprisefish:

9 hours ago, M4A3E8sherman said:

Vanilla WoT also has last spotted markers. Look under the dynamic minimap options.

He means the markers for tanks which have been spotted and never spotted. If there's 9 icons on the minimap but 10 tanks, in the heat of the moment it's difficult to stop and count all 9 tanks to work out what the 10th, unspotted tank is.

That's the only thing I miss, as mentioned above.

OP, if everyone is having fun, then no one is really having fun. 

20 hours ago, M4A3E8sherman said:

Vanilla WoT also has last spotted markers. Look under the dynamic minimap options.

I was referring to the other markers that tell you which tanks haven't even been lit. You could deduce it from the minimap markers but it makes it so much easier. 

Edit: what snorgasm said 

On 26.4.2016 at 0:59 PM, X3N4 said:

XVM clutters your UI with information you don't need distracting you from the information you should actually process during a battle.

Could you describe that thought process? What is the difference in focus when using XVM vs not using it?

On 4/26/2016 at 0:19 PM, Snoregasm2 said:

I used to have XVM stats but with win % turned off - best of both worlds, I thought. Wrong - the human brain takes in all sorts of shit, and your subconscious will do some horrible things to you sometimes. You can tell yourself that you're not going to let the sea of red on your team and the blue and purple on the other team change the way you play, but you'd be lying to yourself. It does.

But doesn't it make sense to adjust your decisions based on XVM information? E.g. early rush to some high-risk, high-reward position might be a good idea and the straightest path to a victory if enemy players in fast tanks are below average, but too risky if they are good? I've never used XVM, but always assumed that such information could be useful when deciding your approach. Or am I completely wrong here (and why, if so)?

28 minutes ago, isterija said:

But doesn't it make sense to adjust your decisions based on XVM information? E.g. early rush to some high-risk, high-reward position might be a good idea and the straightest path to a victory if enemy players in fast tanks are below average, but too risky if they are good? 

Or worse, risky because your team will still be back at base when you get to that position? I'm less concerned about enemy rankings than I am about knowing what to expect from my team. An early rush to a high-reward position may turn out to be useless if the rest of the team retreats into a hole as soon as your back is turned - I'm going to be far more conservative with my early moves if I have a bunch of deep red tanks backing me up. (Battle win chance is always off - I don't want to know.)