Burning_Desire

How do you handle losing streaks?

60 posts in this topic

As the title says, I'd like to know what you guys do when you encounter a losing streak while solopubbing.

Last night started out well for me, but then I ran into a losing streak where RNG shit on me and I started missing/bouncing easy side shots.

This was further compounded by several games in a row where half our tanks never moved any further than 200 meters from base.

Thing is, I have a limited amount of time to play Wot, so I just ground through it, hoping the next match would be better.

I tried switching to a different server, I tried switching tiers, I went to my fun tanks. Nothing helped...

After 6 steamroll losses in a row, two of which i was overwhelmed so quickly I couldn't even get off more than 2-3 shots, I finally gave up and logged off. 

Platooning isn't really an option, so I'm stuck solopubbing. What do you to break the chain of bad games?

As I said, have limited time to play, so logging off for half an hour and coming back isn't really an option.

Quit playing the game for 1 second/1 minute/1 hour/1 day/1 month/1 year...

One thing I have noticed back when I played more often and tooned is that people who are a decent at this game *seem* to switch vehicles in a session much less often than I do.

Whereas I would change vehicles every match, they were more likely to stick with a given vehicle.

I suspect sticking with a single vehicle is better for your session because each vehicle tends to have a slightly different play-style and hence if you're hopping around all the time you don't get to settle in so much.

I think one of the things better players will also advise you is not to play on a title. If you're losing and getting mad/depressed/worked up then it's best to just log off and stop playing. 

From my own experience of being mediocre I found I performed slightly better in the long run if I committed to only playing a set number of games in a session. Usually it was 10 because that takes about an hour. YMMV.

Part of the issue with extended losing streaks is I start pressing to try and make things happen, I get over focused on how things should happen and the first thing that I put aside when doing this is situational awareness, best advise I could give is walk away for a bit. No use pressing and not having fun.

It depends how I'm playing. If I feel like I'm personally responsible for the losses because I'm playing like shit or making terrible noob mistakes I just stop playing and come back another day.

On the other hand if I'm getting good damage and generally playing well but getting brain dead teams that are so bad they can't be carried, I'll keep playing because that's just the luck of the draw and I know I'm bound to get a team that can in fact be carried if I play a few more. It's easy to fall into the trap of always blaming the team though - and this is where it's important to recognize your own failings.

I guess it should also be added that solo-pubbing has become a lot more difficult in this game over the last two to three years, or at least it feels that way. Many more people are using XVM now and will tend to focus you out if you are reported as being even moderately decent at the game.

The move to a more brawly meta has also made it a lot harder to solo-pub and do well in certain vehicles...

i usually play any given tank for as long the games are good

two bad games in a series of 5 games and i switch tank or quit altogether because the game is not fun if it's not going well (VERY different from other games to me, literally the only game I've ever ragequit altogether)

As someone who just 3 marked a tank with an ending win rate of 48%

I honestly don't give a shit

It does not tilt me in the slightest especially in campy piece of shit tanks that can benefit from your pubbies being shit on in streaks  

Good money is on taking a break though especially if your gameplay is suffering along with your win rate.:party:

5 minutes ago, zapyoug said:

Good money is on taking a break though especially if your gameplay is suffering along with your win rate.:party:

But I just started playing again!

Oh wait, I forgot I don't care how much of a tomato I end up as anymore :-)

3 minutes ago, zapyoug said:

As someone who just 3 marked a tank with an ending win rate of 48%

I honestly don't give a shit

It does not tilt me in the slightest especially in campy piece of shit tanks that can benefit from your pubbies being shit on in streaks  

I just 3 marked the M41 90 GF on a 5 game losing streak I was so close I just press through, but I pretty sure I died just a little because of it, and as a side effect I can't smell rain anymore.

15 minutes ago, Audax_Bellator said:

I just 3 marked the M41 90 GF on a 5 game losing streak I was so close I just press through, but I pretty sure I died just a little because of it, and as a side effect I can't smell rain anymore.

Generally if you are dying a little bit inside (aside from circumstances like playing tanks so abysmal it hurts in the first place to play) it is probably hurting your performance 

42 minutes ago, lt_lolcat said:

play arty and spread your misery around

I can confirm that this *does not* seem to be working for me lately. I'm actually finding that just playing a single vehicle instead of hopping is proving more helpful.

i generally stick with the same tank since  have a goal in it (a certain amount of DPG, a mission, pure pubstomping, derping around for the lols), i switch among my tanks when i start to get triggered, when i reach the breaking point i go full retard with my lefh18b2/bt7 arty to chill :doge: 

then i get back to the primary objectives

(lately i've been trying to get a mark on my 13 90, 2 on the E100 and the M41 90, also trying to complete LT 9.3)

I play arty. 

Seriously. At least in arty, I just have to pray to SerB that my rounds hit instead of praying for: Slight backup, not getting YOLO'ed, RNJesus, killing shots dont bounce, enemy tracks dont absorb every shot, RNJesus again, horrible team deployment, etc. 

Thanks for the tips so far. Most of my games in the last month were in the Czech line. The 34/100 was so terrible that I free xp'd to the T50 and now play mostly the T50, the T25 (training the 50/51 crew in it cause the T50 is a keeper) and the T40.

The T50 and T25 have similar playstyles but the 25 isn't a carry tank like the 50 can be...

Maybe that's part of my problem, playing paper tanks when I need a good carry tank that can brawl....

7 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

I play arty. 

Seriously. At least in arty, I just have to pray to SerB that my rounds hit instead of praying for: Slight backup, not getting YOLO'ed, RNJesus, killing shots dont bounce, enemy tracks dont absorb every shot, RNJesus again, horrible team deployment, etc. 

Really? I have to pray to not get yolo'd because my team's fucking retarded and leaves giant gaping holes in the line for some idiot to come through

Like, if I take my eye off the minimap for more than 10 seconds there's a light tank on me without fail

How do you handle a bad day at work or school?

How do you handle a bad day with a friend or loved one?

The coping mechanisms you use in those situations are applicable to how you feel after a bad stretch in the game.

My first 5/6 games in E50 were all losses

that's why don't play it that often.

10 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

How do you handle a bad day at work or school?

How do you handle a bad day with a friend or loved one?

The coping mechanisms you use in those situations are applicable to how you feel after a bad stretch in the game.

Yeah, when my wife gives me grief, I just hop in a T62a and shoot up the house...

What do you do after a bad day at work - decide to stay later and keep working until it gets batter?  Or do you head home after the day is done and go relax with a change of scenery?  That was what I was pointing at, if you are having a bad game stretch, get up and do something else that makes you happy.  If you have a wife you already are a grown man, you shouldn't need to ask how to handle a bad stretch in an on-line game 0 use your life skills ....

Thanks for the neg rep too .....

4 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

What do you do after a bad day at work - decide to stay later and keep working until it gets batter?  Or do you head home after the day is done and go relax with a change of scenery?  That was what I was pointing at, if you are having a bad game stretch, get up and do something else that makes you happy.  If you have a wife you already are a grown man, you shouldn't need to ask how to handle a bad stretch in an on-line game 0 use your life skills ....

Thanks for the neg rep too .....

I asked a question about how to turn around a series of losses and you presume to give me life lessons?

Do us a favor and log off, troll.