__Croc

VK 30.01 (P): is it good?

36 posts in this topic

Hello! I am currently playing without any goals and I do not know what tank to get.

I started out with the German tech-tree. I have the PZ IV H in my garage and I have played quite a lot of battles in it. To be honest I got quite disappointed with the PZ IV H. I am currently using the 105 mm cannon but I struggle with it.

I do not know what tank to get next. The VK 30.01 (P) seems like a natural choice since it is one of the next tanks in the tree. I will stay away from the VK 36.01 because I have heard that it is awful.

I do not have any long term goals in this game (except for being good at the game). I am not one of the players that plays the game to unlock the Tiger. I just want to find good tanks that I can enjoy playing.

My question here is directed to those who have played the VK 30.01 (P).

Is it a good tank? Should I get it? Please also tell me what I should keep in mind if I get it.

The tank practically have no armor and its mantlet is gimmicky, with stock engine your acceleration will be hella slow, and with the gun option it gets, you'll be either plinking with 75mm for less APCR spam or having to be generous with APCR in the 88.

Personally, found the tank to be subpar, it got good DPM and alpha with the 88 since hitting targets for 190-220 a shot is pretty good, but its penetration is rather anemic so loading healthy amount of APCR is recommended, its acc and gun handling is not the best but workable. Kinda wish it have more hitpoints with the trend of german vehicle having more hitpoints than its peers (VK3002M with 840 but VK3001P with 710, WG pls). Doesn't have the best gun depression either so peeking over terrain aren't an option most of the time but its workable.

IIRC the VK3001P is absolutely miserable if you play it stock from the Pz IV. Over 15,000 XP to get a usable gun and engine. The VK3601H is at least a relatively painless way to unlock the 88. It's not a terrible tank, although it would be if it didn't have 950 hitpoints.

On the other hand, if you didn't enjoy the Pz IVH much, you may be better off unlocking more tier 5s first.

nope..... imagine.... the nerfcat.... but with an even shittier gun.... and slow.... and basically no armor for its tier..... and slow.... and its hp pool is i think 10 lower than most other t6 MT, i mean.. unless you want to get a maus, which is the tier 10 of the line... then sure, but if not then dont bother playing the vk 30.01p, tiger p, and VK.A, it only gets good at the VK.B and the Maus

tl:dr

bad armor

bad speed

bad gun

less then normal hp

next tanks are pretty bad but not as bad as this tank

Fair new player warning: tier 6 is basically shit. A lot of the tier 8 heavies with recently buffed armor make your life miserable and you see bottom tier a little more often than most tiers, so don't aim for a tier 6 as a daily driver generally. A quick glance at stats suggest my tier 6s see an average tier of 6.1. It's a tier you grind through and get out for the most part. More experienced players using good tanks in platoons make it work but you'd be better off aiming to get past it fast, or better yet, grind up some other tier 5s and play more variety before you start hitting higher tiers.

I had good luck in the VK (P) the 30ish games I played in it, but the low gold pen makes things even worse when fighting tier 8s which are already poorly scaled against you. I wager it's not a good tank when you're still newer to the game because you really need to know weak spots to use the lower pen.

I loved the VK. Now with the buff of the L/56, it's awesome. Your turret is tough, your hull isn't. You're fast and flexible.

Its armor is still tougher than average tier 6 med. Probably one of the best-in-class (jumbo obviously is excluded). Best alpha too, good dpm, decent acc and acceptable pen after 9.15. -8 depression is cool.

I liked it, Tiger P is horseshit though. I havent heard good things about VK A either.

I enjoyed and it and found it to be powerful when top tier. but when not top tier it was outmatched. BUT

Now it has more AP pen and the APCR is still good.

The VK36.01 is an okay tank imo, good to learn sidescraping in.

Both benefited from the recent buff to the 8.8 L/56

and the VK 36.01 has an amazing  75mm Waffe gun thats only leaves it with low alpha, but a really nice RoF/Pen use that to track and kill opponents and the Waffe 221 pen APCR for anything you want to spam gold right through.

Personally, I feel either the Russian or American med and heavy lines would help your gameplay way more. German tanks are in general trickier to play especially at low tiers, while both the RU and US lines are full of excellent vehicles starting from tier 5 (they even want to buff the US meds). Both lines are great for familiarizing yourself with gameplay concepts - the KV-1, the staple of tier 5 is the heavy tank you want to play to learn basic positioning, effective armor usage and situational awareness; its combination of 3 equally effective gun choices and the best armor layout at tier 5 make it a great tutorial vehicle, and a very forgiving one. US meds and heavies are pure AmericanComfort with the best gun depression stats in the game and fast aiming, if not the most accurate guns with great APCR.

Of course, if you're having fun in the German line, I don't want to dissuade you from those in the slightest bit, but I'd definitely recommend any of the above lines since you were wondering about other good tank choices.

15 hours ago, leggasiini said:

I liked it, Tiger P is horseshit though. I havent heard good things about VK A either.

I liked both tanks, and actually enjoyed the VK A.

19 hours ago, nemlengyel said:

Personally, I feel either the Russian or American med and heavy lines would help your gameplay way more. German tanks are in general trickier to play especially at low tiers, while both the RU and US lines are full of excellent vehicles starting from tier 5 (they even want to buff the US meds). Both lines are great for familiarizing yourself with gameplay concepts - the KV-1, the staple of tier 5 is the heavy tank you want to play to learn basic positioning, effective armor usage and situational awareness; its combination of 3 equally effective gun choices and the best armor layout at tier 5 make it a great tutorial vehicle, and a very forgiving one. US meds and heavies are pure AmericanComfort with the best gun depression stats in the game and fast aiming, if not the most accurate guns with great APCR.

This seems like good advise. I will probably get the KV-1 as my next tier 5.

I started out with the Germans because I like the looks of their panzers and I have read that they were very effective in the war.

34 minutes ago, __Croc said:

I started out with the Germans because I like the looks of their panzers and I have read that they were very effective in the war.

While that was true IRL, that can't be said of WoT. German tanks other than the E100/VK 28.01/Ru 251 are almost never used in SH/CW in WoT, and WW2 icons such as the Tiger are a disappointment in WoT if you expect them to live up to their fame. I'm not saying all German tanks are bad, but they have their own tricky playstyle (Tiger I, for instance, relies on insane DPM and gun handling while its armor isn't worth mentioning), so IMO it's better to start with American or Soviet tanks which have more clearly defined roles, are generally more forgiving and will definitely teach you a lot.

Just got my second mark on the VK 30.01P, and like the play style, but then I also liked the VK 36.01.

It can do very well with the 88.  Decent mobility, gun depression of 8 degrees isn't bad, reasonable accuracy if you wait for it, and can bounce same and lower tiers.  

Top tier it can bully, middle tier it's fine, but bottom tier it can have problems.  Flank and spam gold, but even then it's iffy.  I have finished on the top of the board as bottom tier so it is doable.

IMO it's one of the better (not best) tier 6 mediums.   Have not moved up the line, heard bad things about Tiger P, so don't know.

I found the ground resistance to be pretty miserable. The engine is fine, the track soft stats are garbage on grass (the most common surface on many maps). On hard ground it's pretty okay. At least nowadays it has 8 degrees depression, it was even worse with 6.

Track and turret traverse are also both pretty shit for an alleged medium (which is the size of the Tiger P).

2 hours ago, Psykmoe said:

I found the ground resistance to be pretty miserable. The engine is fine, the track soft stats are garbage on grass (the most common surface on many maps). On hard ground it's pretty okay. At least nowadays it has 8 degrees depression, it was even worse with 6.

Track and turret traverse are also both pretty shit for an alleged medium (which is the size of the Tiger P).

I found it to be actually surprisingly mobible, given it's size. Mind you, it's clearly not a sprinter, but it does marathons quite nicely. Easily keeps up with the not-Cromwells of the tier for the most part and in strongholds it was never all too far behind behind the Cromwell-pack and brought something to the table that Cromwells couldn`t offer at the same time. The armor is, while not being impervious to everything, surprisingly effective, especially when hull down. Gun is a choice between a good 75mm and a good 88mm. Question is whether you prefer DPM and alpha (88/L56) or penetration potential (75mm). In randoms, it suffers from the "doubled armor, squared penetration"-issue obviously and as such, scales badly with tier, especially when using the 88. All in all, it felt like a good grind and the vehicle is a good heavy-medium-hybrid.

4 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

I found it to be actually surprisingly mobible, given it's size. Mind you, it's clearly not a sprinter, but it does marathons quite nicely. Easily keeps up with the not-Cromwells of the tier for the most part and in strongholds it was never all too far behind behind the Cromwell-pack and brought something to the table that Cromwells couldn`t offer at the same time. The armor is, while not being impervious to everything, surprisingly effective, especially when hull down. Gun is a choice between a good 75mm and a good 88mm. Question is whether you prefer DPM and alpha (88/L56) or penetration potential (75mm). In randoms, it suffers from the "doubled armor, squared penetration"-issue obviously and as such, scales badly with tier, especially when using the 88. All in all, it felt like a good grind and the vehicle is a good heavy-medium-hybrid.

I ground through it when the 3001H and 3601H were both tier6 mediums, so the only good thing you could say about it back then was that it fired the 88 a tad quicker than the other two could, and that on pavement it was a little quicker than the 3601H (but in practical on-grass scenarios the 3001P was and is a slug with bad traverse and horrendous ground resistance) so I never really ran it with the L70. All 3 of those tanks only had 6 degrees gun depression back then, too.

Wouldn't run L70 on it today, either, the 3001D has superior mobility and isn't huge (decent camo values on a German??), while the Manther has better gun handling, and, while being inferior on hard ground and in swamps, still outdoes the 3001P on grass due to superior traverse rates and much lower ground resistance. Both have better hitpoints, too, since the 3001P had the lowest hitpoints on a tier6 medium until the Skoda T40 came along, paired with horrid camo values even by the mediocre standards of mid-tier mediums.

I really like the short 88 at tier6 and really miss the old medium 3001H, now that was a rocket sled. The 3001P just asks me to put up with too much garbage. You can only stack up so many minor disadvantages before I switch tanks lest the pile of crap collapses on me.

I bought myself a Skoda T40 and never spared the 3001P another thought until this thread. The Skoda is too soft and too big, but it has less track bloom, roughly the same hp/t and ridiculously lower ground resistance values and superior traverse stats. It fixes everything I hated the most about the 3001P and as a bonus, isn't stuck with the heavy-like camo so common on German mediums, including the 3001P and Manther.

1 hour ago, Psykmoe said:

I ground through it when the 3001H and 3601H were both tier6 mediums, so the only good thing you could say about it back then was that it fired the 88 a tad quicker than the other two could, and that on pavement it was a little quicker than the 3601H (but in practical on-grass scenarios the 3001P was and is a slug with bad traverse and horrendous ground resistance) so I never really ran it with the L70. All 3 of those tanks only had 6 degrees gun depression back then, too.

Wouldn't run L70 on it today, either, the 3001D has superior mobility and isn't huge (decent camo values on a German??), while the Manther has better gun handling, and, while being inferior on hard ground and in swamps, still outdoes the 3001P on grass due to superior traverse rates and much lower ground resistance. Both have better hitpoints, too, since the 3001P had the lowest hitpoints on a tier6 medium until the Skoda T40 came along, paired with horrid camo values even by the mediocre standards of mid-tier mediums.

I really like the short 88 at tier6 and really miss the old medium 3001H, now that was a rocket sled. The 3001P just asks me to put up with too much garbage. You can only stack up so many minor disadvantages before I switch tanks lest the pile of crap collapses on me.

I bought myself a Skoda T40 and never spared the 3001P another thought until this thread. The Skoda is too soft and too big, but it has less track bloom, roughly the same hp/t and ridiculously lower ground resistance values and superior traverse stats. It fixes everything I hated the most about the 3001P and as a bonus, isn't stuck with the heavy-like camo so common on German mediums, including the 3001P and Manther.

Personally, I hated the 3001D with a passion. It tried too much to be a 75mm-armed T34 being one tier too far up and having the wrong gun for being a T34, paired with terrible gun-control. Out of the three, I`d rate them the following in power-rating (best to worst): 3002M >> 3001D > 3001P. On a personal level, I liked the P a whole lot more than the D. I do not want to imply that I disagree with you, because everything you said is correct. The P is sluggish, wierdly enough especially on medium terrain and I was actually surprised to find out, that it has the lowest hitpoints for some reason. Yet, it proved to be a sturdy tank in my experience. I tried to find out, why I had so much more success in my P than you did (~55% WR versus your 48%%), but failed to find a reason, since you`re better in almost every single stat on the tank except for win-rate. Strongholds probably figure into my impression of the tank (as said, it scaled badly with tier, due to being a more armor-centered tank), but stronghold stats aren`t figured into the Worldoftanks.com-webpage stats-card afaik.

Just now, Madner Kami said:

Personally, I hated the 3001D with a passion. It tried too much to be a 75mm-armed T34 being one tier too far up and having the wrong gun for being a T34, paired with terrible gun-control. Out of the three, I`d rate them the following in power-rating (best to worst): 3002M >> 3001D > 3001P. On a personal level, I liked the P a whole lot more than the D. I do not want to imply that I disagree with you, because everything you said is correct. The P is sluggish, wierdly enough especially on medium terrain and I was actually surprised to find out, that it has the lowest hitpoints for some reason. Yet, it proved to be a sturdy tank in my experience. I tried to find out, why I had so much more success in my P than you did (~55% WR versus your 48%%), but failed to find a reason, since you`re better in almost every single stat on the tank except for win-rate. Strongholds probably figure into my impression of the tank (as said, it scaled badly with tier, due to being a more armor-centered tank), but stronghold stats aren`t figured into the Worldoftanks.com-webpage stats-card afaik.

I would not put too much weight on my actual performance in the tank since I was a fairly new player at the time and can't remember now if I tried to stock-grind. This was with +3 MM and I seem to remember not being able to mount the 88 in the stock turret the way you can now. I just remember that I basically did all 3 of the tier6 mediums at the time consecutively and the 3001P was by far the most aggravating - it didn't help that it's the lowest-tier Porsche tank - I had various Maybach engines unlocked across the German trees, but the 3001P's already poor tracks are especially punishing because the difference between stock and top engine is a full 250 horsepower - it was just a miserable grind all around, especially since I loved the 3001H and found the 3601H pretty cool as well, which certainly reduced my willingness to put up with the tank to give it another chance - and I LOVE tier6.

I mean, just imagine it: The 3001H was fast, agile, and had a pretty sturdy Schmalturm - think the agility of a Panzer III/IV but rocking the short 88. It was a small, mean gokart. The VK3601H had a couple fewer hitpoints than it has today, but the same armor to angle and it hit nearly 40kph cruising speed fairly quickly. Then I got into the 3001P and it couldn't move at all, had worse armor (including those corners you flatten out when you angle) and a terrible tech tree layout. That's why I got like 8-9% lower winrate compared to 3001H and 3601H (never played the current Heavy versions, those are legacy stats), and took more games to get through.

Can it be made to work? Sure - especially these days it at least has 8 degrees of depression and newly improved silver pen on the 88. I'm just not going to do it, and despite improvements, it's still a horrendous grind for a new player because the track stats are so bad and the stock engine is stunningly weak. I guess that's why I came down on it strongly - I think it's an extremely ill-suited tank for new players - I would not go into this tank again without enough free xp to get the tracks and engines upgraded immediately.

Arguably, the 3001P now has more of a point than it has had before they made the 7,5cm L70 the standard tier6 German medium gun, but it was one of the most memorably bad grinds in my WoT career. I just hate it.

On 6/8/2016 at 4:20 PM, __Croc said:

Hello! I am currently playing without any goals 

I recall this tank being pretty bad stock, but after the upgrades, I really enjoyed it.  I used the 75mm for the extra penetration, but as was said, the 88mm had a penetration upgrade, so that might be my gun of choice if I went back to it.  The mobility was average, and the armor was bad, but the gun was enough to make it enjoyable.  You had to play the 2nd line of attack and take shots when enemy tanks were reloading.  It seemed to do alright sniping too.

The reason I quoted the above line is I can't imagine playing without goals.  Here are some to consider:

• Fun
  • Progression down a line
  • Improving Win Rate
  • Improving WN8
  • Improving Mastery
  • Improving MoE
  • Getting/Improving tanks for Clan Wars
  • Making tanks Elite
  • Increasing Sample Size (battles)
  • Getting tanks for Tournaments
  • Crew Training
  • Getting tanks to play with friends

This is the most recent VKP thread I could find.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit after the 9.17.1 buffs. Holding 2k DPG after 68 games which I know I can hold pretty easily and a bit under 71% solo WR.

Seems to have almost everything. DPM, alpha, mobility, gun depression, view range (mine's at 469m on the move) and the 160mm mantlet eats plenty of tier6 and under AP. Not a single map where I feel useless. Gun handling and shell velocity is cancer, but oh well. Cant have it all.

I have never played a tier6 that makes getting 2k+ damage games feel underwhelming.

16 hours ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

This is the most recent VKP thread I could find.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit after the 9.17.1 buffs. Holding 2k DPG after 68 games which I know I can hold pretty easily and a bit under 71% solo WR.

Seems to have almost everything. DPM, alpha, mobility, gun depression, view range (mine's at 469m on the move) and the 160mm mantlet eats plenty of tier6 and under AP. Not a single map where I feel useless. Gun handling and shell velocity is cancer, but oh well. Cant have it all.

I have never played a tier6 that makes getting 2k+ damage games feel underwhelming.

It has all but camo.

And I will keep it, too. Right now at VK 100.01, but this babe is more fun...until you get plenty of Defenders on a match.

just one question: what you gave up for vents? EGLD? I kinda feel it still needs it...but again, i do not run choco every match.

I'm keeping this thing. I just bought it back to start my Maus grind, and the second match I play in it after having bought it back I get my second Radley-Walters' Medal. This thing is hilarious, it even rams well.

Which gun do you guys use? 88 for alpha or 75 for handling and a bit of extra pen?

36 minutes ago, Nalok said:

Which gun do you guys use? 88 for alpha or 75 for handling and a bit of extra pen?

88 of course. After the pen buffs there isn't much reason to use the 75.

Gun handling/shell velocity are awful, but if you can work around that the damage potential is so much higher.