leggasiini

ISU-152 appreciation thread

101 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

Dunno i like to have turret, it's more versatile too play. And two thing, I don't get hate towards HEAT and second who uses 150 on RHM anyway??? :D

1) i like heat too, if the gun is accurate, and HEAT travels fast (RU, E 50 M).

2) APCR is always better than heat. Unless heat has enough better penn. Like 311 apcr is about tied with 340 heat, in some situations apcr is better, sometimes heat...but there is no doubt about 310 HEAT>270 apcr as gold ammo.

ISU has a few mm apcr pen less than 150, that is better penn when you count normalisation in.

3) 128 is my gun of choice on rhm gun wise. But 150 is lighter, otherwise RHM is a slug...can not improve it otherwise, or run food/gas, since it burns, crew die all the time, and it is actually huge target...for arty.

also, a lot of ppl use it, check wotlabs. Check tier 8 elimination thread. Check RHM guides...

IMHO, i like to see RHM with 128 on my side better, since it is more consistent. Even unica derp way to often with 150, or get rushed. But it allows RHM to get out of chai sniper role which has no value anymore. 

RHM with 150mm is surprisingly good just because you bring 750 alpha to the table on tier 8. If you look closely, that's the same alpha ISU got its fame for, because it shaves HP of enemies pretty quickly.

14 hours ago, Felicius said:

+EGLD and rammer are mandatory...and this is too soft tank for 5 seconds exposure if you run without EGLD.

P.S. RHM is a worse platform.

1)ISU at least does not burn

2)you can not penn it with HE

3)does not get engine knocked out every time

4)it has gun depression

5) it is quite fast, not only faster than RHM, but faster than most heavies in initial deployment.

6) armor is good if you hide left 45% of the tank and have 150 m+ distance

Biggest advantage of ISU vs RHM-

7) You don't have to grind through 3 shitty paper tanks to play it. 

1 hour ago, lt_lolcat said:

Biggest advantage of ISU vs RHM-

7) You don't have to grind through 3 shitty paper tanks to play it. 

Nashorn feels pretty good, though. Long 8,8 is simply amazing on tier 6 even on shitty paper platform. Toaster is okay, HP and size sucks very much with such armor but mobility rocks and gun is awesome. Actually prefferred it over SU-85 which was just....boring.

They are just super map depended, so naturally they are not amazing. I heard horror stories about Emil, though.

Also, WT line's tier 10 isnt complete shit like ISU-152 line's tier 10 is, so that is something aswell.

8 hours ago, leggasiini said:

Nashorn feels pretty good, though. Long 8,8 is simply amazing on tier 6 even on shitty paper platform. Toaster is okay, HP and size sucks very much with such armor but mobility rocks and gun is awesome. Actually prefferred it over SU-85 which was just....boring.

They are just super map depended, so naturally they are not amazing. I heard horror stories about Emil, though.

Also, WT line's tier 10 isnt complete shit like ISU-152 line's tier 10 is, so that is something aswell.

Nashorn was GOD 3 y ago. Better gun and ROF than Tiger/jagdpanther, and view range than them, too. Chai sniper that could killed is-3s all day long wit silver ammo, even permatrack them.

Now it is shit. slow, no gun depression, no camo. nerfed view range. huge. last useful target for 105 mm derps. bad td in a tier where tds are not relevant any more.

And tier X tds are not relevant any more, better stay at tier 8/9. Grille is not as good as any proper med.

I've been set on fire 6 or 7 times from sideshots in about 30 games... is this something that happens often with this tank or is this just a really bad RNG streak for me?

I've stopped carrying AFE's a long time ago on most of my tanks, because (until this weekend) I burned maybe once every 50 games or so, embarrassing and annoying when it happens, but it's not often enough for me to carry them on most tanks. Wondering if I should trade out a repair kit for one on this though...

I almost always carry AFE on all my tanks now but generally if you're getting shot in the side in an ISU, you're probably going to die anyway.

ISU that is getting attacked is often also an dead ISU anyway. I dont even run AFE, i run foods and its very worth it. 

Think you are unlucky. I played it about 50 or so battles after i rebought it and i got set on fire like once, but then again, i might have been just lucky. I like to avoid close range combat unless there is no other option, since 1k HP + crap armor + not so amazing mobility + no turret + definite priority target makes ISU very risky to use at brawling.

It's not even brawling- long range shot from RHM set me on fire yet again today. Just a run of bad RNG I guess. 

Ugh, fuck this tank. one trick pony and all it has it that fucking trollcannon. Gimme a JPII any day.

So I have a question.  I don't like TDs much but I do like girl crew members.  For completing missions is the new Skorp RMB worth $48 more than the ISU?  I am on the SU-100 right now and doing fair in it.  Its a long way from the SU-100 to the BL-10 but it looks like a fairly compfy grind.  I don't mind dropping cash on a good tank and the scorpion looks like a good tank, but I don't necessarily want my garage polluted with TDs, and if the ISU is almost as good as the scorpion, I might just put the $$$ in some premium time instead.

Also, if I have the ISU-152, how much of an improvement is the 704?

19 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

should i grind it with the stock 152mm derp or one of the 122mm cannons?

I hate HEAT so I don't plan on spamming it with the derp, if that helps.

HEATless, I found the 122mm to be more predictable than the 152mm - more accurate, more shots, more pens. Just the SU-100 a tier up, basically. (I ground through it before HEAT for silver.)

With all the Skorpions around this week, however, the derp may be the way to go. That HE shell will wreck one of those rentals.

Edit: Sorry, was thinking SU, not ISU. BL-10 or bust.

6 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

If you want to have inaccurate gun with 175mm pen on tier 8 turretless paper TD...215mm gold pen doesnt reslly help...

DONT use 122mm on ISU, its utter pos imo. Derp is better regardless, HEAT or not. Atleast you can do damage when bottom tier.

7 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

You can try out the IS-3's 122 when you get it and decide then whether you want to use that or the 152. Its got pretty shit DPM but higher velocity and better accuracy than the 152, so better for sniping.

18 minutes ago, Cunicularius said:

You can try out the IS-3's 122 when you get it and decide then whether you want to use that or the 152. Its got pretty shit DPM but higher velocity and better accuracy than the 152, so better for sniping.

Why would he waste 43k XP on that when he can just wait 20k more and get BL-10?

12 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

use HE with the derp, it will make you get used to the BL-10 its 60k exp of suffering, but its the biggest upgrade in the whole game, its worth every single (free) exp ^^

10 hours ago, leggasiini said:

Why would he waste 43k XP on that when he can just wait 20k more and get BL-10?

Oooh, sorry, forgot that was aside the bl10. 152mm HE it is, then.

yeah i forgot about the massive amount of skorps running around this weekend (despite playing a whole bunch of T49 last night), might buy back the ISU and finish off the BL-10 grind.

I'm so credit poor right now though i have to play my own scorp just to be able to get credits to buy the ISU back plus the equipment

I am about to start my third set of crew skills at end of the SU-152 grind.  What do you guys recommend for crew skills for the ISU?  Right now:

Com - 6th, camo, rep (at like 3%)

Gun - camo, snap (does this even work on casement TDs?)

Driver - camo, clutch

Loader - SS, camo

Radio - camo (he's way behind) 

6 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

I am about to start my third set of crew skills at end of the SU-152 grind.  What do you guys recommend for crew skills for the ISU?  Right now:

Com - 6th, camo, rep (at like 3%)

Gun - camo, snap (does this even work on casement TDs?)

Driver - camo, clutch

Loader - SS, camo

Radio - camo (he's way behind) 

Snapshot works on casemate tds, but only if you do not move the hull.

Repairs are a better choice. 

ISU has no radioman, just 2 loaders. Commander is the Radio Operator, so 3rd skill is SIA , then RECON. Repairs on commander are not worth it, rather drop snapshot, and get repairs on loaders after camo. 704 need full repair crew, though...but i advise against moving higher.

704 is not good  as before.  Jagdtiger is better...even the waffle 4 and T -30. 268 is a dead end.

ISU is still good as before...apex of the line, along with the SU-100 (and SU-152 if you have money for heat).

But in the end i kept the ISU from those 3.

my 3 skill crew is as follows:

Com - BIA, 6th, SIA, camo,( 60%)

Gun - BIA camo, rep 

Driver - BIA camo, clutch

Loader 1- BIA camo, repairs

Loader 2 - BIA camo repairs

I have commander better than rest (i start new line with 2-3 skill commander taken out from tier 4-5 radiomen + 500 gold), others are at about 80% 3rd skill, giving me about 50% overall repairs and 80%+camo. repairs are good to have, butt you are not a brawler, and have low hp. More to get you out of danger in case of arty splash.

Safe stowage is a wasted skill on ISU (and i have it on like 90% of tanks). Ammo rack is on the side, so if you get hits there, you are dead anyway (and with that low hp you can use rep kit - hit in ammo rack is guaranteed not a tracking hit). I was racked yellow once or twice in maybe 200 games if even that much, and dead 15 seconds later anyway. More camo is useful every time.

Camo paint, rammer, binos, egld.

I'm late in this thread, got to say that ISU-152 is my best scouting tank. But abysmal view range kills scouting so bad. Its got a whole ton of camo, so you can just sit there until enemies are at least 100m away from you.

71RuVqz.jpg

fmUiWtx.jpg

0tC6QLf.jpg

pF39TlW.jpg

10 hours ago, _Violence_ said:

I'm late in this thread, got to say that ISU-152 is my best scouting tank. But abysmal view range kills scouting so bad. Its got a whole ton of camo, so you can just sit there until enemies are at least 100m away from you.

71RuVqz.jpg

fmUiWtx.jpg

0tC6QLf.jpg

pF39TlW.jpg

I get the apcr spam was for 3 marking it, but one look on their team composition on startup, and all are autopen with AP. Unless you punched T-34 through turret with apcr.

It flies faster, thou, so alleviates a bit of derpiness when leading targets.

For the damage it does that 152mm APCR is dirt cheap. 90mm APCR also cost 4800 but deals less than 1/3 the damage, and still can't punch through E-100's face.

3 hours ago, Felicius said:

I get the apcr spam was for 3 marking it, but one look on their team composition on startup, and all are autopen with AP. Unless you punched T-34 through turret with apcr.

It flies faster, thou, so alleviates a bit of derpiness when leading targets.

I always fire on the move (maybe stop a few seconds and shoot). So APCR is a must because trollcannon decides when the next miss shot is.

2 hours ago, Nekommando said:

For the damage it does that 152mm APCR is dirt cheap. 90mm APCR also cost 4800 but deals less than 1/3 the damage, and still can't punch through E-100's face.

Yep, cheap and dirty for the marks, and worth it.