FavreFan4ever

Thoughts on the Skoda T40

12 posts in this topic

Hai,

I'm sitting on a moderate amount of gold right now, and I'm thinking of picking up the Skoda T40 from the in-game shop as a crew trainer for my eventual Czech line grind.

Since I don't see a thread for it yet, what are your thoughts after driving one? Is it viable in Stronks? Pubs? Is it worth the gold? It looks decent on paper but trusting paper values makes for a very disappointed AMX 40 driver.

Thank you for your input!

I think its OK. Great mobility + gun, although its big + no armor + poor bloom + poor depression. Now that it needs to use HEAT less it should be also better credit farmer. And ofc, its only crew trainer for Skoda T 50 and TVP T 50/51 so there is that.

I dont like it so much because of the gund handling and size, yet do surprisingly well in it (for me, mind you).

I suppose its the alpha, four penetrations and you are at blue wn8.

imo it's another bad tier 6 tank...

gun is OK just because it has high alpha and a good premium round (200 pen heat compared to 170 apcr on every other 88/L56 gun) but the platform is terrible..

no armour whatsoever, ammoracks everywhere, huge profile (it's actually bigger than some tier 8s), bad depression (-3° IIRC but i might be wrong), i managed to pen one (angled side armour) with HE in my t-34-3 and blew his head right off (full hp, was trying to reset the cap)...

imo it's not worth it... i would keep the skoda t25 and train crews...

being the only Czech premium tank, if you are serious about and want to be able to get a trained crew sooner, it's the way to go (short of waiting for the occasional opportunity to throw free EXP and gold for accelerated crew training)

but on to the tank...

it's a solid tank imo. it's never going to dislodge the Cromwell (B) as the king of tier 6 mediums, but it does well enough.

it is remarkably different from the non-premium tier 6 Skoda T-25, with its autoloader pop-gun caliber. the gun will take some getting used to, so if you had no prior experience with the tier VI 8.8 cm guns, then it's going to be a hard lesson. the gun handling isn't terrible, but you'll rarely get to snapshot anything short of point blank range. take your time with the gun, if ever possible let the gun aim fully before you fire. learn to time the reloads of your enemy and your allies, and you can be rewarded with damage dealt

it hasn't got thick, effective armor of course, but then again you shouldn't expect anything in its tier and class to have effective armor against the kinds of tanks it will face. 

the mobility is decent, you'll be just as able to keep up in a medium wolfpack, rushing early game to a favoured spot. it doesn't beat the Cromwell, but it shouldn't have to.

it's a solid, support medium tank, and the gun is just as capable of sniping, and brawling as well. the HEAT shell may take some getting used to, but the recent AP pen buff makes it not as necessary as before to fire sprem.

6.9/10 score by me

34 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Oops...

There are less than 20 threads in this subforum, so of course I miss seeing that there was indeed a thread already made about this.

I'm a tomato.

On 6/19/2016 at 10:30 AM, leggasiini said:

I think its OK. Great mobility + gun, although its big + no armor + poor bloom + poor depression. Now that it needs to use HEAT less it should be also better credit farmer. And ofc, its only crew trainer for Skoda T 50 and TVP T 50/51 so there is that.

These are my thoughts as well. It's a great crew trainer, and a decent tier 6 all around. Not OP, but I can spam play it without too much frustration. I liked it better than the actual tier 6 (T 25?) in the Czech line, mostly because of the chunky alpha. 

I got some medium missions done with it along the way and it was a blessing to have for the grind because of the extra crew member (radio man IIRC) in the mid tiers. My friend was mad that he had to start a new guy from scratch, I was prepared like a boy scout with BIA and camo already on him.

If you plan on grinding the TVP line, you should get it. Every time I retrain a crew to 90%, pop a crew boost, check the training box and you'll be at 100% within a few solid battles, without a performance penalty since it's a prem. Also it does seem to make a couple thousand credits here and there, although I am not sure if it has better income coef. than normal tanks or not.