dcmcilrath

Skill Stagnating?

15 posts in this topic

When I first joined this forum a few months ago I was pretty terrible at this game, a proud citizen of tomatotown.  Since then, by getting more experience and by reading the advice of the purples here, I managed to find my way up to green overall and dark green recent wn8, and recent wr% that fluctuates between dark green and light blue (52-55%).  But I feel like I'm starting to get stuck and level-off.  Lately, I've been really struggling to have days that are better than my recent wn8, and I've had about 1400 for over a month now.  For the first time since coming here, I'm failing to actually see any improvement in play.

So! that being said, what advice do you zen masters have for green players who have blue aspirations?  I know all the basic stuff, and I *can* play very well from time to time, but I struggle mightily to be consistent about it.

Thoughts?

watch good streamers, they usually answer your questions and teach you those little things that make you a better player..

that's how i got to my current blue shitter stats :ohnyes:

56 minutes ago, YesThatWasAPCR said:

Or you could just be like me, and play4fun, until it becomes no fun, then quit,  at least for a good long while.

:)

Can he be you without the shitgifting?

6 minutes ago, sr360 said:

Possible I guess, but I doubt it. Shitgifting can be more fun than actually playing the game.

40 minutes ago, YesThatWasAPCR said:

Possible I guess, but I doubt it. Shitgifting can be more fun than actually playing the game.

Ah yes the act of paying to take a shit on someones desk I know thee well.

1 hour ago, sr360 said:

Oooh, someone's just begging for a Pz 3 Krap...

In the past when my skill stagnated I would just try new things

play tanks Im bad at, go places I am not used to even if they are bad. The result was that my recent got shat on for a little while but the experience helped me learn and improve

& the last time I was stagnating I found a good few new positions by watching foch play.

@dcmcilrath I was a little higher than you are right now, around 1400 WN8 and 53%ish WR about 3 months ago when I felt like I was stagnating and couldn't get passed an invisible wall that kept me from improving. It's a shitty feeling no doubt. I remember it well. However, what really helped me break though is watching streams and replays of really good players on WoTLabs. I would recommend you try it. Pop over to the "Purple Poster Replay Palace" subforum and check them out. Once I started doing that I broke through the wall very easily and have continued improving ever since. As long as you have the desire and will power, you will improve.

3 hours ago, DirtyACE7 said:

However, what really helped me break though is watching streams and replays of really good players on WoTLabs.

As a fellow green, I've only just broke out into blue recent stats b/c I followed DirtyACE's advice.  Watch the streams.  Watch how good players do in good games, but probably more importantly... watch how they do in bad games.

Map awareness.  At your current level you can shoot well in most situations, poke corners and stuff, but my biggest issue with greens is that greens often get into position and either win or die.  No relocation. No ebbing and flowing. Just static game play. All because most greens don't check their map frequently enough to make in-the-moment adjustments while keeping pressure on the enemy. Mediums are the best to learn dynamic game play based on Intel gathered from reading the map. 

Interestingly, aspirations to improve map awareness and speed of decision making/execution doesn't end. Throw in enemy composition analysis and you'll find yourself amidst a personal paradigm shift.

I feel the same way I've kind of peaked as a player. One thing I notice about good purple players is they know the maps very well and can play positions not normally used. Along with using the terrain to your advantage it's definitely an area I am lacking in. I could never jive with 2nd line mediums always fail at playing them.

Against all odds purple players seem to get their guns in the game and do damage no matter what.

On 7/3/2016 at 8:09 PM, HighProbability said:

No relocation. No ebbing and flowing. Just static game play. All because most greens don't check their map frequently enough to make in-the-moment adjustments while keeping pressure on the enemy. Mediums are the best to learn dynamic game play based on Intel gathered from reading the map.

This is something I have to CONSTANTLY remind myself of. And when I do it, things usually turn out pretty good. When I don't I usually get sub par results.

Someone on here (can't remember who), suggested just trying to change one small thing at a time. So for instance to help with map awareness, try to play a session where you force yourself to look at the map every so many seconds.

Really concentrate on just this one thing first, then after that has become a habit, let it lead into thinking about what to do with that information... be it relocating, pushing, etc. Like others have said, watching streams can help with that. 

On 7/1/2016 at 6:47 PM, dcmcilrath said:

When I first joined this forum a few months ago I was pretty terrible at this game, a proud citizen of tomatotown.  Since then, by getting more experience and by reading the advice of the purples here, I managed to find my way up to green overall and dark green recent wn8, and recent wr% that fluctuates between dark green and light blue (52-55%).  But I feel like I'm starting to get stuck and level-off.  Lately, I've been really struggling to have days that are better than my recent wn8, and I've had about 1400 for over a month now.  For the first time since coming here, I'm failing to actually see any improvement in play.

So! that being said, what advice do you zen masters have for green players who have blue aspirations?  I know all the basic stuff, and I *can* play very well from time to time, but I struggle mightily to be consistent about it.

Thoughts?

A few things, most of which have been answered already throughout the post, but to summarize: 

• Watch streams. This is how I got better. You start off with streamers that explain what they're doing, and eventually move onto streamers that simply play the game. Really high-end streamers will do shit that average players don't even notice.

• Analyze your own gameplay. By 9k battles, and judging by your current stats you know the basics such as leading shots, aiming weakspots, knowing where to start off on each map. What you might not be good at, is knowing when to play aggressive and when to play passive. If you have to take 1 or 2 shells to win a flank because 4 members of your team are too scared to push 2 enemy tanks just lead the charge. If the flank is about to fall anticipate this and flex to the other side of the map (granted you're playing fast tanks). It's always worth it trying to survive as long as possible. At the end of the day, the team that does the most damage quickest wins (unless there's capping involved). 

• Minimap/general awareness. Keep an eye on your minimap every few seconds. Try to spot openings and attempt to predict enemy movement. After a while you will start to correctly predict enemy movement, being able to deal with issues before they even arise. I.e. if you anticipate an enemy can pop up from your right whilst you're engage with a tank already move your tank to a position that has cover from crossfire. Just little things really.

• Tank selection has a strong influence on your stats, but at your current level I wouldn't worry too much about it. Play tanks you enjoy playing, and try to maximize your effectiveness in each class. Play the different classes, and figure out what you like. Most unicums prefer mediums due to the meta, and the fact that they have the highest impact on the game due to speed. You can easily flex all over the map, whether this involves flanking into enemy base, running back to reset cap, or pumping out damage from a double bush position to take out enemy heavytanks/td's.

• Finally, if you really want to tryhard, watch all your replays and analyze if/when you made a mistake. After 23k odd games I usually know what I did wrong the second I did it, but that may not always be the case. Always think "How could I have avoided that" or "What did I do wrong there" or "Could I have done something different". Sometimes it's as obvious as not rounding the corner into the waiting JPE100, but other times it may be harder to decide.

That's pretty much my input. Good luck!