Vetro

Vetro's AMA and Advice Thread

47 posts in this topic

Hello friends and fams, 

I've been debating on making this thread for months, but finally decided that now is the time. I'm here to offer advice, opinions, and memes when necessary. I'm still improving at the game, and believe setting realistic goals for yourself is the best way to improve long-term. Feel free to ask me anything that comes to mind. 

Bio and Achievements:

Spoiler
  • Began playing WoT in August of 2013
  • Member of Team Eclipse and participant at the 2016 Grand Finals in Warsaw, Poland.
  • Former member of o7 Gaming and WGL Season 2 leader in DPG and KPG
  • First player in the world to three mark an Object 260 (afaik)
  • 44 tanks with three MoE, 20+ on tier 10's
  • Held a recent WN8 of 4500+ for two years (except when I was grinding Obj. 260 missions and playing cancer tanks)
  • Intermittent streaming on twitch when I feel like playing.

1. Which is in your opinion the best tier for getting better at the game? i mean at my current level i can just kick around sunday puppies in tier 5 but eventually gets boring, tier 6 is...uhh....i feel the gap between 6s and 8s is too big, tier 7 lol 1900 battles in E 25, and tier 8 i just can't outside the rental M46 KR which i can do fairly well regardless of MM.
  2. Are tournaments and league play a good way to "fund" yourself? as in, not needing to spend a dime in the game
  3. Show me your memetic powerlevel

7 minutes ago, Strigonx said:
  1. Which is in your opinion the best tier for getting better at the game? i mean at my current level i can just kick around sunday puppies in tier 5 but eventually gets boring, tier 6 is...uhh....i feel the gap between 6s and 8s is too big, tier 7 lol 1900 battles in E 25, and tier 8 i just can't outside the rental M46 KR which i can do fairly well regardless of MM.
  2. Are tournaments and league play a good way to "fund" yourself? as in, not needing to spend a dime in the game
  3. Show me your memetic powerlevel

1 - Tier 10 without a doubt. This is what I did and learned purely through trial and error. I bought my first tier 10 around 1500 battles in and it was the T110E5. I played around 300 games in that and it really developed my play. Second tier 10 was the T57 Heavy and bought it around 2500 battles. I spammed 500+ battles in that so my stats are pretty bad in it overall. 

Tier 10 really punishes you for making mistakes, but it's also more forgiving than low tiers because you don't die in two shots. I feel it is the most balanced and skill-based tier, so I think it is a great way to improve.

2 - Absolutely, but finding a team can sometimes be difficult. If you don't have great stats, finding a spot on a winning team can take a while. Joining a tournament-based clan is probably your best bet for finding teams each week. If you win, you can earn around 7.5k-10k gold each week, but 2.5k-5k is more realistic if you're dedicated.

I played a lot of the major tournaments last year and won around 50k gold and a lot of premium tanks, Type 59 being one of them. 

3 - I actually owe a lot of my early progression to QuickyBaby. I was a complete yolotard before I found his stream, and I started to think about the game in a different way through him. Before, I suicide scouted in my light tanks because I thought I'd play the game for a week, but after I realized how much effect a single player could have in the outcome of a game. People give QB a lot of shit, but he is a great resource for new players.

Just now, Shadowy_Ninja said:

Food or AFE on the AMX 30 (tier 9)?

Unless you have a full firefighting crew, run AFE. If you must use food, drop the medkit and use JoaT on the commander. The fuel tanks are extremely weak, and you will frequently burn as a result. Personally, I didn't use food because I really disliked the tank + susceptibility to fire.

32 minutes ago, CarbonWard said:

113 best tank t/f? :kwim:

False. This tank is sucks and can't defend against yolo's. 9.15.1 might resolve some of the issues I have with it.

2 minutes ago, SocialFlaws said:

is synergy3k jewish??

If the rumors are true, yes.

was not dodoma first player get 3 mark o260 after u?

1 minute ago, IanSanJR said:

was not dodoma first player get 3 mark o260 after u?

Nope, I three marked the 260 in December 2015. Dodo did it somewhat recently.

Now random question time:

1. Who's your favorite/hottest female celeb?

2. Do you think the moon landings were staged?

3. What is your favorite AMA question (answer this question as well)?

Why do you have vehicle engine sounds off? I remember copying it from you but I never understood why xD.

55 minutes ago, Shadowy_Ninja said:

Now random question time:

1. Who's your favorite/hottest female celeb?

2. Do you think the moon landings were staged?

3. What is your favorite AMA question (answer this question as well)?

1. Lena Gercke, 10/10

2. No, that's the type of stuff pubbies will spout in general chat.

3. I can't think of any specific questions, but some of my favorite AMA's on reddit are scientists such as Neil deGrasse Tyson. I'm really interested in space + theoretical physics, so those AMA's are extremely fun. 

16 minutes ago, Gandaran said:

Why do you have vehicle engine sounds off? I remember copying it from you but I never understood why xD.

Engine sounds are pretty much white noise. I listen to music 99% of the time I play, so I don't get headaches as often as I used to. Eliminating unnecessary information is a major benefit for me personally. This is the same reason I play on standard graphics. Less shit on the screen = greater focus on what matters. (tanks, terrain, ui)

9 minutes ago, Vetro said:

3. I can't think of any specific questions, but some of my favorite AMA's on reddit are scientists such as Neil deGrasse Tyson. I'm really interested in space + theoretical physics, so those AMA's are extremely fun. 

What is your favorite SpaceX landing so far and what do you think about the upcoming Falcon Heavy. 

Also am I your favorite BULBA officer or what 

Why is this game so terrible 

3 minutes ago, _Dia said:

lmao youre not even in the clan :kwim:

2 minutes ago, SocialFlaws said:

BP3pkX9.jpg

7 minutes ago, SocialFlaws said:

:feelsbad:

20 minutes ago, _Dia said:

What is your favorite SpaceX landing so far and what do you think about the upcoming Falcon Heavy. 

Why is this game so terrible 

- It might sound morbid, and they are not my favorite, but the crashes are possibly the most important. A successful landing might mask a vulnerability that could potential result in death of passengers, so it is vital they recognize and correct any flaws before people board.

The Heavy looks amazing, but tbh, I haven't been keeping up with its progress. 

- Of course you're my favorite officer. Could you tioga me some gold when you're back? :kwim:

- The game is actually somewhat enjoyable when you're not being artied, focused, or team killed. Still, I don't feel like playing more than once a week because I can only tolerate so much abuse. 

How can I become like you vetro? look like you, Breath like you, Eat like you, Play like you. My one goal in life is to be you please help me #SuperFanIssues

If you could suggest 3 tanks to improve in at tier 10 (or tier 9) - not including the RU meds and the E5 - what would they be?

When trying to improve and take the next step, do you:

• focus on maximising W/R (including doing boring shit, low DPG maneuveres which ultimately spur your pubbies to win etc.);
  • maximising DPG and by extension survival rate; or
  • trying unusual/trial and error strategies to test your limits and work out shit on the fly, which naturally impact on the other two?

Related to the above, what is a good survival rate % and how closely should it be linked to W/R? I.e. should it be W/R - 5%, the same as W/R or not linked at all? At what point is your survival rate too high and you need to adjust your playstyle, particularly allied to a shitty W/R and playing solo all the time (obviously asking for a friend . . .).

2 hours ago, Dakillzor said:

How can I become like you vetro? look like you, Breath like you, Eat like you, Play like you. My one goal in life is to be you please help me #SuperFanIssues

Hm. Stalking me for a year and observing my mannerisms and ultimamatey killing me and wearing my skin is probably your best option. 

pls don't

1 hour ago, Snoregasm2 said:

If you could suggest 3 tanks to improve in at tier 10 (or tier 9) - not including the RU meds and the E5 - what would they be?

When trying to improve and take the next step, do you:

• focus on maximising W/R (including doing boring shit, low DPG maneuveres which ultimately spur your pubbies to win etc.);
  • maximising DPG and by extension survival rate; or
  • trying unusual/trial and error strategies to test your limits and work out shit on the fly, which naturally impact on the other two?

Related to the above, what is a good survival rate % and how closely should it be linked to W/R? I.e. should it be W/R - 5%, the same as W/R or not linked at all? At what point is your survival rate too high and you need to adjust your playstyle, particularly allied to a shitty W/R and playing solo all the time (obviously asking for a friend . . .).

1. The Leopard and AMX 30 B are awkward in the current brawling/corridor meta. I'm not sure how they could buff them, but they are extremely vulnerable on 3/4 of the map rotation, and there isn't a reason to play them when the CAX/M48/E 50 M exist. 

Foch 155 and 268 were completely ruined after the TD nerf. I'm not a huge fan of TD's, and I believe they should be worse than equal-tier heavies and mediums, but there is absolutely no reason to play them unless you're going for a gun mark or because you like terrible tanks. 

Maus could use a gun buff. Perhaps give it the Jagdtiger's top gun, or buff the aim time, dpm, and dispersion on the L/55. Any time I see an enemy Maus, I shed a tear of delight for the free damage they offer.

2. For survival-rate, my baseline is 50%. If it is < 50%, I know I'm being too aggressive and > 50% is probably small sample size or the result of platooning. I'm pretty aggressive with my positioning and rarely platoon, so I expect the occasional early death resulting in a bad game. What's important is that the risk vs. reward with each position is worth the susceptibility of being overrun or artied. 

On maps like Serene Coast, especially when there is arty, I rarely go hill simply because if the enemy gains control of the hill, you cannot escape and you often die. The damage potential is great, but playing safer nets more consistent results. 

I rarely try new positions. I have spots on each map that allow me to get 2-3 shots into enemies as they are leaving spawn which also provide an escape route if I need to run. Luckily, most of the positions are obscure and pubbies will avoid them. 

My goal for improving is simply to maximize efficiency. Higher pen-rates, taking less damage, and surviving longer, etc. will net higher WR. What is important is that you are as active as possible, and early damage is critical to success.