Vetro

Vetro's AMA and Advice Thread

47 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Vetro said:

Hm. Stalking me for a year and observing my mannerisms and ultimamatey killing me and wearing my skin is probably your best option. 

pls don't

1. The Leopard and AMX 30 B are awkward in the current brawling/corridor meta. I'm not sure how they could buff them, but they are extremely vulnerable on 3/4 of the map rotation, and there isn't a reason to play them when the CAX/M48/E 50 M exist. 

Foch 155 and 268 were completely ruined after the TD nerf. I'm not a huge fan of TD's, and I believe they should be worse than equal-tier heavies and mediums, but there is absolutely no reason to play them unless you're going for a gun mark or because you like terrible tanks. 

Maus could use a gun buff. Perhaps give it the Jagdtiger's top gun, or buff the aim time, dpm, and dispersion on the L/55. Any time I see an enemy Maus, I shed a tear of delight for the free damage they offer.

Thanks for the responses, they're really helpful.

In relation to the one above, I probably didn't word the question appropriately. What I actually meant was what 3 tanks should someone play at tier 10 which will teach him the most and help him improve? Everyone always answers 'RU Meds or E5', hence why I excluded them.

Since you have 1k+ in IS-6. Would you recommend someone to get the is-6 over the SP ? And why ? 

24 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Thanks for the responses, they're really helpful.

In relation to the one above, I probably didn't word the question appropriately. What I actually meant was what 3 tanks should someone play at tier 10 which will teach him the most and help him improve? Everyone always answers 'RU Meds or E5', hence why I excluded them.

Probably the highest skillcap tank at tier 10 is the M48, and it's a tank that you can constantly improve in no matter how skilled you are. DPM almost as good as STB, gun handling that is unparalleled, and enough armor + mobility to feel right.  CAX is great for the same reasons the M48 is, but it's like the M48's disabled younger brother. The E50 is still a great tank, as well. I'm so much better at angling armor and positioning in general thanks to E50 spam. 

So, E50 really developed my play in 2014, and in 2016 my preference is now M48/CAX for their reliability in general.

17 minutes ago, DHP said:

Since you have 1k+ in IS-6. Would you recommend someone to get the is-6 over the SP ? And why ? 

Probably 99% of my IS-6 games were played in early 2014 when it was my only premium tank + T34. Back then, my ammo loadout was 25/4/1 iirc, and that was when you could somewhat reliably pen IS-3's with AP. With the introduction of Japanese heavies and armor buffs in general, I'd rather play a premium like the FCM if I needed to farm credits. 

Between the IS-6 and Super Pershing, neither are great for grinding credits unless you want to spam APCR and only profit ~30k a game. I'd lean towards the SP simply because American crews are better than Russian crews. 

20 minutes ago, Vetro said:

Probably the highest skillcap tank at tier 10 is the M48, and it's a tank that you can constantly improve in no matter how skilled you are. DPM almost as good as STB, gun handling that is unparalleled, and enough armor + mobility to feel right.  CAX is great for the same reasons the M48 is, but it's like the M48's disabled younger brother. The E50 is still a great tank, as well. I'm so much better at angling armor and positioning in general thanks to E50 spam. 

So, E50 really developed my play in 2014, and in 2016 my preference is now M48/CAX for their reliability in general.

Probably 99% of my IS-6 games were played in early 2014 when it was my only premium tank + T34. Back then, my ammo loadout was 25/4/1 iirc, and that was when you could somewhat reliably pen IS-3's with AP. With the introduction of Japanese heavies and armor buffs in general, I'd rather play a premium like the FCM if I needed to farm credits. 

Between the IS-6 and Super Pershing, neither are great for grinding credits unless you want to spam APCR and only profit ~30k a game. I'd lean towards the SP simply because American crews are better than Russian crews. 

Thanks, again, very helpful.

I'm surprised you mentioned the CAX at all - most people's opinion of it is pretty terrible, as the things it does well either the M48 or STB do better, except maybe final accuracy which is (fairly) meaningless.

Are there any heavies which are good to learn heavy tank skills in, E5 being except?

My thoughts are that most of the heavies at tier 10 are gimped one way or another, making them fairly inflexible (E 100 too slow and gold vulnerable, 113 module damage poor-ish armour, IS-7 LOL that gun and also butter armour for anyone with a brain, autoloaders are too different). I guess it really leaves the IS-4 and FV215B, both of which are still pretty unique with playstyles which probably don't transfer across to other vehicles very well.

13 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Thanks, again, very helpful.

I'm surprised you mentioned the CAX at all - most people's opinion of it is pretty terrible, as the things it does well either the M48 or STB do better, except maybe final accuracy which is (fairly) meaningless.

Are there any heavies which are good to learn heavy tank skills in, E5 being except?

My thoughts are that most of the heavies at tier 10 are gimped one way or another, making them fairly inflexible (E 100 too slow and gold vulnerable, 113 module damage poor-ish armour, IS-7 LOL that gun and also butter armour for anyone with a brain, autoloaders are too different). I guess it really leaves the IS-4 and FV215B, both of which are still pretty unique with playstyles which probably don't transfer across to other vehicles very well.

CAX is like a Leo/STB hybrid and it really clicked with me. I can't really explain why, but it's extremely comfortable to play and most people overlook it. 

I don't play heavies much these days because of the amount of gold spam + arty + limited mobility. The best heavy is probably the FV215b (excluding the E5) due to the gun and great hull-down potential. 113 has a lot of potential, but the crippling module damage and unreliable armor ruined it for me. E100 is amazing on some maps, but that 1/5 games on an open map with 3 arty ruins the fun. IS-4 is good if you can brawl face-to-face, but the mobility + gun handling are absolutely awful for long range engagements. The 50B is of course a great tank, but I wouldn't really classify it as a heavy.

So, my personal preference for T10 heavies are: E5, 215b, 50B, 113, T57, E100, IS-4, IS-7, Type 5/Maus.

Not tanks related but......tips for Deagle use in pistol rounds? Keep missing the head with the 5-7 spammers :( 

In your opinion Vetro, what do you think are the tanks that are "too good" for their tier?

1 hour ago, Shifty_101st said:

Not tanks related but......tips for Deagle use in pistol rounds? Keep missing the head with the 5-7 spammers :( 

Deagle on pistol round? :kjugh:

27 minutes ago, FreddBoy said:

In your opinion Vetro, what do you think are the tanks that are "too good" for their tier?

Tier 8: IS-3

Tier 9: Skoda

Tier 10: E5

IS-3 has received numerous armor buffs and zero nerfs since 2014. Skoda is just broken, pretty much the same damage potential as the tier 10. E5.. well, it's an E5. Can't pen hatch or lower plate reliably with standard rounds and even premium. 

I don't really play anything below tier 8, so I don't have much to say. 

Hi vetro, I am an inexperieced caller who plays with players around my level or a little better. Generally, I can lead a win more often than not in tier 6 stronks with a basic fastbois blob. I can sometimes do well leading 7/54 team battles, but often make horrendous mistakes. I haven't yet been able to figure out tier 8 stronks at all. What, in your view, are the basic differences in strategy in these modes?

By the way, I notice that very good teams often play with almost no calling. Can you comment on whether that is a good idea for mediocre players?

Why'd you join such a shit WGLNA team? :fat:

1 hour ago, Vetro said:

Deagle on pistol round? :kjugh:

Ye Ye fam, you're pretty good with the deag last I remember so help me pleassseeeeee

15 hours ago, Vetro said:

Lena Gercke, 10/10

German women, I see.

Scandinavian women are quite the hype, from what I hear. I think even Jingles mentioned them broadly in one of his Royal Navy stories. Emilie Nereng is a particular for me.

3 hours ago, Shifty_101st said:

Ye Ye fam, you're pretty good with the deag last I remember so help me pleassseeeeee

Git gud m8.

Will you ever 3 mark the type 5?

X3N4 once said that it might be a good thing to play fast paced FPS's to improve your aim. IIRC you play CS as well, so aiming in WoT is "easier" for you. What is your opinion about this? 

And an other "learning-related" question: is there a way to improve your decision making other than learning from your mistakes? 

Do you think Planet X exists?

Also, any tips on T32?

On 7/4/2016 at 5:53 PM, Fulcrous said:

Will you ever 3 mark the type 5?

No

18 hours ago, Dodge94HUN said:

X3N4 once said that it might be a good thing to play fast paced FPS's to improve your aim. IIRC you play CS as well, so aiming in WoT is "easier" for you. What is your opinion about this? 

And an other "learning-related" question: is there a way to improve your decision making other than learning from your mistakes? 

Yes, I do play Counter Strike, and it definitely helps with target acquisition, but it isn't necessary for most people. A simple tip that will improve your aim in general is to lower your mouse dpi/sensitivity. Lower sens = more room for error. A 180 degree turn for me takes roughly 12 inches/30 centimeters, so minor adjustments are very easy. There really isn't a reason to play WoT at a high sensitivity, either. You are limited in turn speed by turret and track traverse, so you can't just flick 180 degrees like you can in most FPS games. 

Unfortunately, decision making comes with experience. Some people learn more quickly than others, but everyone starts roughly the same. I started watching Straik in 2014, and it really helped take my play to the next level. Fortunately, there are dozens of top-tier players you can watch on twitch, so I'd recommend you emulate their play as much as you can. The game has three stages: start, middle, end. The start is all about taking early positions for free damage as enemies leave the spawn. The middle is about reacting to friendly and enemy positioning, and this is what separates the best players in the world from the rest. The end is just cleanup on a win, or getting a few extra shots of damage before you die. 

On 7/4/2016 at 1:39 PM, xtc4 said:

Hi vetro, I am an inexperieced caller who plays with players around my level or a little better. Generally, I can lead a win more often than not in tier 6 stronks with a basic fastbois blob. I can sometimes do well leading 7/54 team battles, but often make horrendous mistakes. I haven't yet been able to figure out tier 8 stronks at all. What, in your view, are the basic differences in strategy in these modes?

By the way, I notice that very good teams often play with almost no calling. Can you comment on whether that is a good idea for mediocre players?

T8 stronks are pretty simple. Bring 7-8 tier 8 heavies and 1-2 lights. Some mediums are okay, most TD's suck. Have one light scout the opposite flank with the ability to retreat, and the heavies cluster up and push somewhere. As long as you focus fire correctly and pen your shots, you should win 75-90% of the time. 

- When is the next Gold League going to start (and FANTASY league) -- need moar free gold, tanks, premium!  (+ you were my number one point generator, so GL this season!)

- What do you do in Real Life?

9 hours ago, Invictus said:

- When is the next Gold League going to start (and FANTASY league) -- need moar free gold, tanks, premium!  (+ you were my number one point generator, so GL this season!)

- What do you do in Real Life?

1. Not sure how much I can say, but expect it in a few weeks.

2. I do IT for a local superstore, currently. Ultimately, I want to become a pilot.

7 hours ago, Vetro said:

2. I do IT for a local superstore, currently. Ultimately, I want to become a pilot.

What kind of pilot? 

13 hours ago, Vetro said:

1. Can you say how it will be structured?  Keeping it tier 10?

2.  I fly for the Navy and have my private pilot license, so let me know if you need any tips!  (...yes, I am a red scrub in Tanks, but know a few things about RL)