OnboardG1

DE Battleships

60 posts in this topic

Ultrahype 

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/ze-germans-coming/

Psyched for Scharnhorst and GK. The T10 apparently has triple 16.5 inch turrets.

Maybe this will be a battleship line i like? anyways who knows how longs its going to be before we get them :/

1 hour ago, OnboardG1 said:

5.9 is the scuttlebutt so August (gamescon)

ok cool thanks

got 200k now

Do you think they may place the Deutschland class heavy cruisers in the BB line?

3 hours ago, xWulffx said:

got 200k now

Deutschland class heavy cruisers in the BB line?

ocd triggered... armored ship, aka " Panzerschiffe "

4 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Ultrahype 

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/ze-germans-coming/

Psyched for Scharnhorst and GK. The T10 apparently has triple 16.5 inch turrets.

GK?

Wasn't the Scharnhorst a Battlecruiser also with only 11 inch guns???

I realize the sNazis were manipulating and skirting the terms of the Versailles Treaty and Washington Naval Treaty, but 11 inch guns are kind of anemic unless the rof and Armor pen is decent  when going up vs 14 15 and 16 inch guns.  Maybe if they are very maneuverable as well.

I kind of hoped for a second cruiser line when they were not included in the original cruiser line, and should have known better cuz reasons.

8 minutes ago, xWulffx said:

GK?

It was suppose to get updated later to dual 15" turrets but was cancelled and the turrets were moved to the Bismarck 

I can't believe all the posts I'm seeing from people claiming to free XP to t8 or t9, I'm planning on grinding each and every ship and  I'll only use free XP if the grind is Colorado A hull bad

12 minutes ago, xWulffx said:

GK?

AFAIK, Scharnhorst is being supertested as a premium right now. I would think it will just be an addition as a premium cruiser, and there won't be a whole separate line for BC's.

This is the published BB lineup:

1qEmgNW.jpg

9 minutes ago, Shade421 said:

AFAIK, Scharnhorst is being supertested as a premium right now. I would think it will just be an addition as a premium cruiser, and there won't be a whole separate line for BC's.

1qEmgNW.jpg

can't see the link at work will check later thnx

13 minutes ago, Shade421 said:

1qEmgNW.jpg

Gneisenau is the Scharnhorst's sister ship.

16 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Gneisenau is the Scharnhorst's sister ship.

I know, but it doesn't make any sense to add another prem BB, when there is a complete cruiser line with no prem (low tier garbage notwithstanding, although the Jap BB line still only has the shitty low tier). My best guess would be that the Scharnhorst will be a cruiser with 11 inch guns, and the Gneisenau will be upgraded to the 15 inch. Unless potato, in which case another high tier prem German BB.

I did read this from the official forums, so the info is likely crap, but the Scharnhorst will be a t7 premium BB with torpedoes and the 11in triple turrets while the Gneiseau gets added to the BB line with the 15in twin turret upgrade. No idea if the 15in guns are the only guns it gets or an upgrade that'll be researched.

Gneisenau and Scharnhorst have a debated class name.  Scharnhorst was launched first and it's typically called the Scharnhorst class, but Gneisenau was laid down and commissioned first, so it's occasionally called the Gneisenau class.  Wargaming is apparently considering Gneisenau to be the class lead since it's in the announced tech tree.

The Kriegsmarine called them battleships, not battlecruisers.  Aside from the 11" main armament, there's no reason to consider them as battlecruisers, although post-war reference books have occasionally called them such.  We know what a Kriegsmarine battlecruiser would have looked like, and it would have had 4 more knots and a belt that was thinner by 160mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-class_battlecruiser

We'll find out, but that seems like a really stupid move. Why does there need to be a torp-equipped prem BB at tier 7 AND at tier 8, while the cruiser line has nothing, and the tier 7 could easily be put there?

There was some mention of the Graff Spee and a T6 ish CA or BB.

There is a need for mid tier CA premium for Germany and a mid tier DD for the US.

3 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

There was some mention of the Graff Spee and a T6 ish CA or BB.

There is a need for mid tier CA premium for Germany and a mid tier DD for the US.

I've heard that the Prinz Eugene will be the CA premium at tier 8. WG could eventually use the Seydlitz ( also a Admiral Hipper class) as a CV.

Graff Spree would be hard to balance due to its cruiser armor but 11" guns which mind you uses only 6 guns in 2 turrets. Its a unique idea, able to outrun what it can't fight and able to chase down anything it can kill. Unfortunately that doesn't translate well to this game because it can't out run BBs due map size and since it never got a decent AA suite it would be at the mercy of CVs. I personally think it will be the first BC in game and purposely around t5 or t6

We already have a few Japanese battlecruisers in the game. Myogi, Ishizuchi, and Amagi are all battlecruisers.

2 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

We already have a few Japanese battlecruisers in the game. Myogi, Ishizuchi, and Amagi are all battlecruisers.

Yea but it's not a official line yet

48 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

Graff Spree would be hard to balance due to its cruiser armor but 11" guns which mind you uses only 6 guns in 2 turrets. Its a unique idea, able to outrun what it can't fight and able to chase down anything it can kill. Unfortunately that doesn't translate well to this game because it can't out run BBs due map size and since it never got a decent AA suite it would be at the mercy of CVs. I personally think it will be the first BC in game and purposely around t5 or t6

It wouldn't be that hard to balance. While it may have 11' guns it only has six of them. Dispersion alone is going to ensure that it won't be able to delete other cruisers in a single salvo except at very close range. It is also slow, and has an armoring scheme that is actually inferior to most other cruisers of that era. The Panzerschiff's were built as pure commerce raiders that would be able to defend themselves from one, maybe two, enemy cruisers, but that were never meant for truly heavy combat. Their design reflects this.

I'm not knocking what people are saying, but I have always been confused as different sources designate ships differently, ie battlecruiser vs battleship vs pocket battleship.

Is it gun size length speed armor or a combination thereof? OR whcich source is used as a reference?

from wiki

They were the first class of German ships to be officially classified by the Kriegsmarine as Schlachtschiff (battleship).[8] Previous German battleships were classified as Linienschiffe (ships of the line),[a] and Panzerschiffe (armoured ship).

Their adversary, the Royal Navy, rated them as battlecruisers[9][10] though after the war classified them as battleships.[11]Jane's Fighting Ships 1940 lists both the Scharnhorst and Bismarck classes as "Battleships (Schlachtschiffe)"[12] Another adversary, the United States Navy, rated them as battleships.[13] In English language reference works they are sometimes referred to as battleships and sometimes as battlecruisers.[c]

They also planned the Schlachtkreuzer O P and Q with 15 inch guns in Germany.  The Japanese planned to build the Design B-65 cruiser with 12.2 inch guns. The Alaska class had 12 inch guns.

It's basically "whatever the navy decided were battlecruisers". It's kind of like how the Allies classed the Panther as a heavy tank. Traditional battlecruisers were armored like cruisers and gunned like Battleships. The idea was that they'd outshoot what they couldn't outrun and outrun what they couldn't outshoot. They also liked to blow up when shot by anything with any punch.

That fell apart with the development of the fast battleship. Iowa could make 31 knots which is as fast as a cruiser, so is it a Battlecruiser? Scharnhorst was also armored like a battleship but armed somewhere between a cruiser and a battleship. Just being heavily armed doesn't make it a battleship either because Renown had 15 inch guns, Amagi was slated for 16" guns and some of the weird G series designs had 18" guns. So yeah, basically anything called a battlecruiser after Jutland falls into a mess of differing nomenclature and navy board fuckery.