HeartMiner

HeartMiner's Artillery Q&A

65 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Ollie Tabooger said:

I recently brought an M44 to do arty missions and have had a miserable time. According to my stats, I'm yellow in it, more or less.

On a good day, I hit and penetrate 3 out of 9 shots with HEAT. I get more consistent damage with HE, but even that misses a lot and it's not the same as whacking someone for 700.

I've tried playing it more like a FV304 (get just behind the front lines), but even then it takes all day to aim in and is unreliable at best.

How do I get the gun to hit more? I'm running it with food and gunnery skills, don't have BiA yet. Usual equipment of Rammer/GLD/Binocs.

Even with BIA and cola I would say 3/9 pen is above average. I am currently the #1 recent dpg on M44, but still I feel like I can't be reliable in it. I do fire within close range (<500m) because .8 accuracy really does not work at longer range, and I fire almost heat only. I don't think you can improve the hit ratio, unless you could discover some rare TD spots on every map to be able to fire within 350m. However I think there is great damage potential for this cute little spg. If it is damage that you want, platoon with t6-7 scouts and T7-8 tanks. High tiers are bigger and slower.

1 hour ago, Treeburst said:

Heartminer, do you have any replays of lower tier arty or is it pretty much the same game as you move up in tiers? 

Would watching games of your T92 help me in an M12 for instance?

I've gotta be doing something wrong, I've pretty much been looking at clickers as slot machines, but you are doing 2-2.5x as much damage as I am in the clickers we have in common, which is completely outside the realm of possibility if we were doing anything remotely similar.

For instance, in the S-51, you average 2400 DPG, I average 1250 (And I feel like the S-51 is one of my BETTER clickers). GW Panther (which I just got elited not too long ago) is 1900 vs 1100. M12 (another one I feel pretty good about, it feels similar to the S-51 to me) 2100 vs 1170. And the M44, which I thought of as absolute fucking garbage, 1600 vs 900.

Are there particular spots that you go to on different maps? Would you be willing to share those with us plebs?

The only post-nerfed low tier arty I played was the M44, which was nothing like other low tier arty. Watching my high tier replays would help a little, but only marginally. I do have t92 replays in youtube that you should definitely watch(search t92 3rd mark last 30 games), even though they were recorded when I was not nearly as skilled as I am right now. Here are some comments: 

First of all I do not use any uncommon locations for common arty, except I try to get into close range (~550m) in most maps (exception being mountain pass and westfield), which matters the most. Second I took great care keeping myself save from suiscouts, which prevents me from taking any risky positions. Staying safe matters the most in the 3rd marking process. Third, try to platoon with high tiers, because high tiers tanks are slower and bigger. And finally, use server aim if you have 40ms+ ping, and never do snap shot. Fully aim every shot. 

what french arty you recommend for completing the arty missions?

On 7/23/2016 at 11:58 PM, saru_richard said:

what french arty you recommend for completing the arty missions?

tier8 

On 7/19/2016 at 8:52 AM, Reunify said:

Serious questions now

1. How do you prioritize targets - in a regular tank (i.e. non-SPG), I'd follow some common prioritization rules based on hp, location, armor, etc.  but I found it difficult to do so in an arty.  I often waste too many shells trying to take out low health enemies or tanks holding important positions moving in/out from cover.  Should I go for the easier targets instead?  
  2. How to overcome RNG and deal consistent damage in artys - arty is too RNG dependent, I had low or zero dmg games more often than not, which is why I stopped playing artys.  Having a decent and consistent DPG in any arty seems impossible to me.  I figure this must overlap with the first question, but do you have any specific tricks for maintaining consistent DPG?
  3. Why not AP in 261 - I thought AP is one of 261's strengths.

Thanks

1. shoot whenever you are ready. no prioritizing. don't try to be smart.

2. use battle assistant to improve aiming first. if you don't like the rng, play obj261 only.

3. I thought you dont like RNG.

For people who like AP do a little math pliz. Whether you use it or not all depends on the expected damage of AP and HE, which then depends on your skill and firing distance. I am confident in saying this because this is what I think about when I play the M44. 

Is it worthwhile to mount the top gun on the FV3805? The decrease in ROF, accuracy, and aim time seem like a heavy price to pay for the increase in kaboom. 

just wondering if you play artillery with standard reticle, server reticle, or an overlay mod. I only play arty a lot when im getting pretty bad ping (250+) or when im getting missions done, and i noticed that the server reticle picked up on some massive bloom after slight movements while the normal one didn't. ill try to link a replay if i can, but i would move the aiming circle a bit, but if my ping was bad, id have to completely aim in again, so i was thinking about getting an overlay mod for that. what are your thoughts?

On 7/25/2016 at 6:06 PM, Tarski said:

Is it worthwhile to mount the top gun on the FV3805? The decrease in ROF, accuracy, and aim time seem like a heavy price to pay for the increase in kaboom. 

with the BL7.2, FV3805 becomes something comparable to the obj261. I liked the bl7.2 over the 6pdr. 

On 7/25/2016 at 7:09 PM, garryallen said:

just wondering if you play artillery with standard reticle, server reticle, or an overlay mod. I only play arty a lot when im getting pretty bad ping (250+) or when im getting missions done, and i noticed that the server reticle picked up on some massive bloom after slight movements while the normal one didn't. ill try to link a replay if i can, but i would move the aiming circle a bit, but if my ping was bad, id have to completely aim in again, so i was thinking about getting an overlay mod for that. what are your thoughts?

Arty is most susceptible to unstable ping (higher ping comes with more unstable ping) due to the highest turret traverse dispersion value. Server reticle is significantly worst than local reticle for arty than for other tanks, so turn on server reticle whenever you play arty. I tried to reason this to many people, but no one listened. 

thank you, it explains a lot. i found artillery becomes nearly impossible to play with packet loss, as the server seems to think you gun "snaps" to the target, meaning you have to aim in again fully when coupled with bad ping. oh and if anyone is interested to to scout in a gw panther, here is a replay of me attempting to make hill on cliff :P

http://wotreplays.com/site/2826349#cliff-garryallen-g_w_panther

*note that this got more base xp than their s51, who was playing artillery *properly*

Hello senpai,

I currently have m40/43 and I want to buy next arty. I can buy S-51, Crusader 5.5-in. SP, G.W. Tiger, Lorraine 155 mle. 51. What line shoud I pick?

heart, u play one game in one arty/day for grinding moe?

On 10/24/2016 at 11:16 PM, IanSanJR said:

heart, u play one game in one arty/day for grinding moe?

I understand what you are saying. But when I grind arty 3moe I play only arty and I play it for 3hr at a time. I watch map forecast before I play just so I do not waste time and credit.  

I must thank you HeartMiner. Your thread inspired me to finally buckle down and complete War Gods 4.. I never need to play artillery again (unless eating a sandwich while tanking). 

Any tips for Bombardier? I have the M40/43 (no equip or BIA), M53/55 (Bia, equip, food) and M44 (food, equip), alongside the S-51 and the Lorraine 155 50. Most people I know are rigging this with a bit of sync-dropping and arty cuddling.

10 hours ago, Tigeh said:

Any tips for Bombardier? I have the M40/43 (no equip or BIA), M53/55 (Bia, equip, food) and M44 (food, equip), alongside the S-51 and the Lorraine 155 50. Most people I know are rigging this with a bit of sync-dropping and arty cuddling.

Load food and gold for max splash with M40/43 or M53/55.  Pray for low hp enemies to huddle together.  Doing counter arty can work on maps like mines where they tend to huddle together.