FreddBoy

Ideal Graphic Settings - For looking good but not distracting from gameplay

20 posts in this topic

Right, now that I finally have a decent laptop that runs WoT at Max settings with 100+ FPS, I'm wondering how I should fine tune the settings to still make the game pretty, but not get in the way of things like sniping, ridge peeking, etc.

Of course, since I'm completely new to the thing called "decent graphics" and "high FPS" I'm not sure of which ones to lower/turn off, and which ones to keep maxed, as it were.

Any pointers you guys can give will be very much appreciated.

Turn everything off in sniper mode. You want that as clear as possible.

The rest is mostly personal preference, I disliked the tank tracks and dust/smoke effects because they kinda got in the way when there's a pile of carcasses around you.

16 minutes ago, PityFool said:

Turn everything off in sniper mode. You want that as clear as possible.

The rest is mostly personal preference, I disliked the tank tracks and dust/smoke effects because they kinda got in the way when there's a pile of carcasses around you.

Pretty much what Pity suggested. I'd turn all grass & sniper effects off in general. Even the special effects to something that is not way too distracting. I personally prefer clear vision to tons of stuff on my screen when it comes to rather competitive play.

I just run max, I had played on potato graphics in all games for so long thst when I finally had a PC able to max it I shoved them all there and left it there, because thats why I bought a PC able to max it.

I only turn off Motion blur, because I hate that. And later turned off grass in sniper mode, but i left everything else turned on.

9 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

I just run max, I had played on potato graphics in all games for so long thst when I finally had a PC able to max it I shoved them all there and left it there, because thats why I bought a PC able to max it.

I only turn off Motion blur, because I hate that. And later turned off grass in sniper mode, but i left everything else turned on.

Exactly the same here.

I ran max for a time, but found the grass in general to be distracting.  I wanted to know exactly where each hill ended.  And turned off most things in sniper mode.  The rest is largely up to the user.  

here are my settings. Shadows, lighting, water & decal quality can all be turned down based off your preference and desire for fps. Only thing I would make sure not turn down any further is terrain quality (some places get modded incorrectly if you turn it down all the way) 

MFqJQV4.jpg

FKOjy84.jpg

makes my game look like this

zfZOobQ.jpg

Motion blur: off

Shadows: off

flora density as low as possible (it looks like ass on max, might as well not gimp yourself)

V-sync off unless you get screen tearing

Grass in sniper mode off

Nothing else you need to do imo. Enjoy the game that looks good until you play any game released later than 2010!

Does your screen have the ability to run 100 fps?

I don't have a laptop so I'm not sure if they are like my desktop and can actually use any more than 60 fps which is why I Vsync my games. I can run most games at max and get 100+ fps but unless the monitor or screen can actually run at 60fps, I would be stressing my videocard for nothing. 

2 hours ago, xWulffx said:

Does your screen have the ability to run 100 fps?

I don't have a laptop so I'm not sure if they are like my desktop and can actually use any more than 60 fps which is why I Vsync my games. I can run most games at max and get 100+ fps but unless the monitor or screen can actually run at 60fps, I would be stressing my videocard for nothing. 

Yeah, It has the ability to run at 100fps, no visible screen tearing, and its a full HD 1080p ready screen, so I guess that helps...

Thanks to everyone who replied, I'm gonna go down the Assassin route (MAX EVERYTHING, ALL THE TIME!) until I get sick of things getting in the way and lower the stuff Kitten recommended.

I have a more-or-less toaster computer, so I was putting graphic settings as low as possible, except for a few select settings. Indeed, I was running much like @no_name_cro. But I eventually realized that the bottom settings make the brown fords pretty much disappear. For a long time, I tended to miss fords and drown myself in deep water. I put all settings up a notch, and that made the fords reappear clearly. I haven't figured out which specific setting did the trick, but I would like to hear if anyone knows.

On 7/29/2016 at 0:38 PM, MacusFlash said:

If you want to improve WoT graphics use one of SweetFX premade settings.

Can you expand on this? I'm not familiar with SweetFX premade settings.

21 minutes ago, DirtyACE7 said:

Can you expand on this? I'm not familiar with SweetFX premade settings.

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/9/