Panzer_Fenris

Strv 103b - Tier 10 TD

108 posts in this topic

Situated at the very apex of the swedish TD-line rests the Stridsvagn 103B.

3GVTfDFvZFo.jpg

This tank will, upon its proper introduction into the client, be unique in that its gun litterally have no traverse or elevation whatsoever.

It's bolted down and moves with the hull, requiring traverse of the tracks and relying on the hydraulics of the first and last roadwheels on each side for elevation and depression. How this is going to work within the confines of the game engine is anyones guess.

The gun itself is 105 mm L74, and will likely have the standard 390 average damage with penetration a little better than what is seen on the 105 mm L7. In real life it was capable of firing at a blistering rate of 15 rounds a minute, thanks to its autoloader, but I would not expect that in-game.

Armor-wise, almost its entire frontal profile is made up of an 'upper glacis', 40 mm thick and sharply inclined. The lower glacis is protected by a foldable dozer blade that serves dual-purpose as spaced armor. That's not the only places spaced armor is employed however, with the sides housing fuel tanks to slow down impacting shells before reaching the inner armor of the fighting compartment, and a rugged fence up front designed to detonate shaped-charge ammunition before it could hit the main hull. Horizontal bars welded to the upper glacis also increased its effectiveness against impacts.

All this served it well in real life tests, as it thankfully never saw actual combat, but it is worth noting that overmatch mechanics will let 120+ mm shells triple-overmatch 40 mm of armor, and that this vehicles survivability is highly dependant on what WG does when modelling the armor model.

As for mobility, a combination of a Caterpillar gas turbine and a RR diesel gave it a 490 horsepower all in all, propelling nearly 40 tonnes. So not a blistering hp/ton ratio, and it will have to rely on soft stats to get around.

Stealth-wise, it will be at the whims of WG, but it's worth noting that at 2.14 m of height up to the cuppola it's incredibly low-profile for a MBT.

flat roof, i'm sure arties will have fun with it

I'd bet they will somehow make 30mm holes in the armor model, since it would be pretty weird if it was frontally immune to meds exclusively.

I think that WG will give it 41mm of armor and vertical moving gun because they cannot into hydraulics - too stronk to program it.

21 minutes ago, MacusFlash said:

I think that WG will give it 41mm of armor and vertical moving gun because they cannot into hydraulics - too stronk to program it.

Or make the hull into an articulated turret? Just model the entire vehicle as a turret with a 1-pixel hull just so there's something to bolt the tracks to?

It will not have a moving gun, it's all chassis movements just like in reality. I am not at liberty to state exactly how it will work but I can say as a gigantic strv 103 nerd and the person who did the archival research for the Swedish tree (on a consulting basis) that I'm quite satisfied with how realistic it's going to turn out in game.

There are a lot of fun things about the armor model but unrealistic weakspots isn't one of them.

50 minutes ago, UnusualMedic said:

RIP camo net and Binoc.

Not just that.

I doubt rammer (autoloader) vert stabs or GLD will be able to be mounted due to the suspension and non-moving gun.

24 minutes ago, renhanxue said:

It will not have a moving gun, it's all chassis movements just like in reality. I am not at liberty to state exactly how it will work but I can say as a gigantic strv 103 nerd and the person who did the archival research for the Swedish tree (on a consulting basis) that I'm quite satisfied with how realistic it's going to turn out in game.

There are a lot of fun things about the armor model but unrealistic weakspots isn't one of them.

Glad to hear Ren. Much appreciation for the work you and sp15 put into all this.

1 hour ago, renhanxue said:

No 122 stalin overmatch??? 

4 hours ago, H4NI said:

flat roof, i'm sure arties will have fun with it

Even more if the Bordkanone had been confirmed :kwim:

13 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

No 122 stalin overmatch??? 

Whole lower hull will probably be weak to everything so having autobounce upper hull is not that strong unless in perfect hull down position.

8 minutes ago, sahtila said:

Whole lower hull will probably be weak to everything so having autobounce upper hull is not that strong unless in perfect hull down position.

That lower hull might be a trickier target than you think. It's only 40 mm like the upper hull, but angled at -17 degrees from the gun angle. Most tanks will also be shooting down at it given how low it is to the ground, and as the model shows it's got a dozer blade in front as spaced armor.

Unless the driver is angling his hull up, it's probably going to be auto-bounce for most attackers.

On another note, depending on how fast it can depress and elevate it's hull, anyone else foreseeing that juking it up and down while fired upon might become a thing?
Oh, aiming at my upper glacis are you? Here, let me angle that to auto-ricochet for you. Lower glacis? Angle forward, auto-ricochet.

Of course, it won't be terribly effective at returning fire like that, but I'd be interested in seeing how people take to it.

Could be fun if they give it ridiculously good gun dispersion values like 0.06 on track rotation and tank movement to make up for the nonexistent gun arc.

2 hours ago, DHP said:

What's the dépression And élévation ?

-10 degrees depression. +12 degrees elevation.

7 hours ago, Panzer_Fenris said:

-10 degrees depression. +12 degrees elevation.

Fun fact (and not said to be that guy, this is really just pointless trivia): as far as the elevation mechanism goes, it's actually -11/+11. The chassis elevates and depresses equally in both directions. The gun, however, is mounted +1 degree elevated in relation to the horizontal plane of the chassis, so that's why it works out to -10/+12. The more you know!

A wholly interesting tank in almost every category, will be nice as well to have a 'TD' on tier 10 that doesn't take half your HP in one shot.

You know 90% of the playerbase are going to think it's terrible. 

51 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

A wholly interesting tank in almost every category, will be nice as well to have a 'TD' on tier 10 that doesn't take half your HP in one shot.

You know 90% of the playerbase are going to think it's terrible. 

Remember how everyone cried how terrible Grille 15 is few months ago when it was released? Yeah, good times.

So, typical tard pubbie logic: no gigantic autoloader or +1k alpha on tier 10 TD = terrible. lol

Yeh I know, most of them still think the Grille 15 is terrible. 

But they'll definitely think this one is terrible as I suspect it'll have 390 alpha and I doubt the pen will be over 270-280. 

Things like gun depression, reverse speed, autobounce armour, mobility won't compute with the average pubbie.

Especially if it has some funky aiming system where they might have to learn how to use it. 

Allright i will bite the bait.

Why would any choose this TD over a higher alpha TD? considering our corridor maps of today, where high alpha TD's put some respect into people, this td will not.

P.S i think the Grille is awesome btw

13 minutes ago, Clogman said:

Why would any choose this TD over a higher alpha TD? considering our corridor maps of today, where high alpha TD's put some respect into people, this td will not.

Too early to say anything, stats are not even there. We also dont know exactly how the aiming will work on it.

7 hours ago, Clogman said:

With real rate of fire, a 4 second exposure can mathematically pump out 2x390. Plus, depending on how they model armour, it could be somewhat reliable.