39 posts in this topic

The Strv m/42 will be the tier 5 medium tank in the Swedish tech tree.

QSRNfp6l.jpg

It's going to be entering a pretty crowded field, there's a lot of tier 5 mediums, including some pretty good ones like the M7, M4, and T-34 (along with some pretty lame ones).

Here's what its armor layout looked like historically;

lzohrf1.jpg

(originally posted by sp15 on WoT EU)

It's not that special, you're not going to be bouncing much besides tier 3s and autobounce stuff. At least its a fairly narrow target.

The historical gun was the 75mm m/41 L34. In real life it was about equal to the 75mm M3 on the Sherman, but it was somewhat handicapped by bad ammo. Given that the m/42 doesn't have amazing armor or mobility (380 hp / 22 tons = 16.9 hp per ton, which actually isn't terrible), there's probably going to be some options for gun upgrades. Historically, a high velocity 57mm and a short 105 were considered, and I think I remember reading about some upgrades to the 75 (aside from the one that eventually ended up being the Strv 74). Gun depression will be amazing though, like everything else in the Swedish tree. Without knowing too much about it, the m/42 looks to me like it will be pretty decent but not a standout like the M7.

Historical Info;

http://tanks.mod16.org/tag/strv-m42/- Swedish Tank Archives pages on Strv m/42 (renhanxue's page)

http://ftr.wot-news....t-vii-strv-m42/- Article on Strv m/42 in World of Tanks video game, written by sp15, has useful info

http://www2.landskro...agnar/lago.html

http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/11-stug-iii-thread-and-also-other-german-vehicles-i-guess/page-6#entry15542;

Early m/42s had German transmissions. They were really bad.

Bonus pics:

strv_m42eh-5.JPG

TPcfwuE.jpg

gOFknKJ.jpg

bchZkH2.jpg

(pics by renhanxue)

Looks awful. Can't wait to see what the adult tier tanks are.

7 hours ago, Shade421 said:

Looks awful. Can't wait to see what the adult tier tanks are.

qT5UsE0.jpg

Crossposting from the general Swedish thread;

strv_m42_tth.jpg

15 depression, 150 damage with 115/144 pen, seems decent.

Mobility looks bad though.

That 105mm caught my eye. Seems like it has 104mm pen AP shell with 350 alpha. Sounds fun lol.

According to @Renhanxue, the standard round is HEAT, and it's probably gonna get rebalanced before it goes live.

This thing is pretty decent, punchy if slightly unwieldy gun, okish speed and that gun depression. Need to start a thread for finding abusable spots with over 10 degrees gun depression.

Anyone actually played this without skipping?

On paper it looks like the worst T5 medium in the game by a country mile that has its 15° of depresion "balanced" by dpm only rivaling the Skoda, terrible standard and premium pen, awful gun handling, underwhelming top speed and IS-7 levels of terrain resistance...

15 hours ago, breeeze said:

Anyone actually played this without skipping?

On paper it looks like the worst T5 medium in the game by a country mile that has its 15° of depresion "balanced" by dpm only rivaling the Skoda, terrible standard and premium pen, awful gun handling, underwhelming top speed and IS-7 levels of terrain resistance...

I am currently grinding it...Not parting with even a little bit of my 120 k hard-earned free exp (the old fashioned way, no gold conversion).

It is rather bad, yes. But with girl crew from Christmas tree special (500 gold for conversion of a radio operator), it plays quite decent. Gun depression and alpha from non-derp gun are the only selling points, so yeah...

Still, it is way better than Skoda and G 1  shit, and has an edge over Chi-Nu (purely by merit of gun depression), and various shitty prems like M4 Improved,  Pz.Kpfw. T 25, and such...

It is fairly meh.  I rate it about the same as the tier 5 French medium except you don't get a derp option.  Its only good feature is the great gun depression, but that is pretty much ruined by a really slow aim time.  You want to poke and shoot quickly but you end up exposed too long waiting to aim in and get shot.  The armor doesn't deflect anything.  The tier 6 fixes all this and is a much better tank.

9 hours ago, Felicius said:

I am currently grinding it...Not parting with even a little bit of my 120 k hard-earned free exp (the old fashioned way, no gold conversion).

It is rather bad, yes. But with girl crew from Christmas tree special (500 gold for conversion of a radio operator), it plays quite decent. Gun depression and alpha from non-derp gun are the only selling points, so yeah...

Still, it is way better than Skoda and G 1  shit, and has an edge over Chi-Nu (purely by merit of gun depression), and various shitty prems like M4 Improved,  Pz.Kpfw. T 25, and such...

PZKPFW t25 has health

Well, I just triple marked the Skoda so this should be an easy grind...

1 hour ago, breeeze said:

The t24? It had shit DPM but at least was fast. This is too derpy and to low in the pen area. 

T24 also has a larger arty cross section than most heavy tanks around the tier due to shape, making ridge fighting terrible in most battles. This thing is significantly better at ridge fighting as an advantage.

6 hours ago, hazzgar said:

PZKPFW t25 has health

True...But Strv has enough gun depression+alpha combo to minimize exposure. In fact, just by trading shots, it will almost kill Pz.Kpfw. T 25...(10 hp left on both tanks after 4 shots traded).

Hally put it together so spot on.

32 minutes ago, Hally said:

T24 also has a larger arty cross section than most heavy tanks around the tier due to shape, making ridge fighting terrible in most battles. This thing is significantly better at ridge fighting as an advantage.

Trading shots are more favorable against small caliber guns, obviously...and you are in the hands of RNG every time you shoot 450 hp medum (3 or 4x 150 alpha...)

Soft stats are among the best in tier...just a few tanks have a tiny bit better (Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H), and they have only better track dispersion, less turret dispersion - except with Škoda T 24).

I put girl crew inside, and its final acc is shit, but short to medium ranges, this tank feels like E8, a tier lower, more gun depression and more alpha (it has the same turret dispersion as E8 before Vstab, worse track one, but better final acc).

Overall, it reminds me of TVP VTU Koncept in terms of "grindability". Not a free exp sink, or pain to play, but simply a limited, gimped tank with lower ceiling than a good deal of its same tier tanks...You know on the start of a mach that you can not carry, you finish top by dmg rarely, you just do your thing, and hope for the best.

Both tanks are too slow to evade quite a good deal of tanks that can obliterate you with impunity once in a few matches, too...but your mobility does allow you to redeploy timely, and influence the game somewhat once in a while by capping/uncapping, and support fire. At least Strv has no heavy tank matchmaking weight...

2 hours ago, Felicius said:

True...But Strv has enough gun depression+alpha combo to minimize exposure. In fact, just by trading shots, it will almost kill Pz.Kpfw. T 25...(10 hp left on both tanks after 4 shots traded).

Hally put it together so spot on.

Trading shots are more favorable against small caliber guns, obviously...and you are in the hands of RNG every time you shoot 450 hp medum (3 or 4x 150 alpha...)

Soft stats are among the best in tier...just a few tanks have a tiny bit better (Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H), and they have only better track dispersion, less turret dispersion - except with Škoda T 24).

I put girl crew inside, and its final acc is shit, but short to medium ranges, this tank feels like E8, a tier lower, more gun depression and more alpha (it has the same turret dispersion as E8 before Vstab, worse track one, but better final acc).

Overall, it reminds me of TVP VTU Koncept in terms of "grindability". Not a free exp sink, or pain to play, but simply a limited, gimped tank with lower ceiling than a good deal of its same tier tanks...You know on the start of a mach that you can not carry, you finish top by dmg rarely, you just do your thing, and hope for the best.

Both tanks are too slow to evade quite a good deal of tanks that can obliterate you with impunity once in a few matches, too...but your mobility does allow you to redeploy timely, and influence the game somewhat once in a while by capping/uncapping, and support fire. At least Strv has no heavy tank matchmaking weight...

1 vs 1 yeah but the 1 vs 1 argument is always weak since it's a game of 15 vs 15 and some tanks that suck at 1vs1 against some tanks win games quite good.

The t25 premium (the one you mentioned) has 120 dpm more, 4hp/t more  , 15kph more max speed and still 10deg of gun dep + 160 hp more. I agree it's a meh tank due to it's horrible gun (even worse than the strv) but it hp + speed mean a lot. 

Overal the strv isn't totally shit only because it's so easy to win in t5 games. I always feel like im doing too little but still pull decent WR. 

3 hours ago, hazzgar said:

1 vs 1 yeah but the 1 vs 1 argument is always weak since it's a game of 15 vs 15 and some tanks that suck at 1vs1 against some tanks win games quite good.

The t25 premium (the one you mentioned) has 120 dpm more, 4hp/t more  , 15kph more max speed and still 10deg of gun dep + 160 hp more. I agree it's a meh tank due to it's horrible gun (even worse than the strv) but it hp + speed mean a lot. 

Overal the strv isn't totally shit only because it's so easy to win in t5 games. I always feel like im doing too little but still pull decent WR. 

T25 has terrible gun+weak soft stats+low alpha+low dpm.

Literally the worst combo...if you have alpha and gun depression, you can work around bad dpm (Sherman with derp...it rarely does more than 200 dmg, anyway).

10 degrees gun depression is also hard to use when you are blind as a bat...you can pop out oonly at already spotted targets, but also youu run a risk of getting hit by tanks that camp 2nd line...with Strv i see just fine, and at tier 5-6, Chai snipers can hardly hit me from 350-400 m or more...(low tier guns, bad acc, bad crews soft stats, slow shells, 15 deg gun dep...)

Just had a great match at Sand River in tier 7...did 1.3 k dmg and 1.5 k spots by going mid...

Strv is not a meh tank...it frustrates you mildly, but 

9 hours ago, breeeze said:

Then you will like this tank. It has a much better feel...you lose speed and a lot of gold penetration, for better soft stats, gun depression, and alpha. 

Ppl underestimate low tier swedes (rightly so, TDs are terrible up to tier 8, and Kranvagn line has rather meh tanks in tier 3 and 5, 6 and 10 are excellent, and 8-9 are just fine)

Also, 150 alpha is actually enough for ppl to back away (in a tier 5 battle) for a few seconds, just enough for you to reload next shell in time. That is 1/3 health of a tier 5 med.

I think long term winrate will suffer because of the lack of "silver bullets" like T-34 gold ammo, meaning your dmg is worth less than in Skoda T24 (you can not actively hunt heavies to make your shots count more).

10 hours ago, Felicius said:

T25 has terrible gun+weak soft stats+low alpha+low dpm.

Literally the worst combo...if you have alpha and gun depression, you can work around bad dpm (Sherman with derp...it rarely does more than 200 dmg, anyway).

10 degrees gun depression is also hard to use when you are blind as a bat...you can pop out oonly at already spotted targets, but also youu run a risk of getting hit by tanks that camp 2nd line...with Strv i see just fine, and at tier 5-6, Chai snipers can hardly hit me from 350-400 m or more...(low tier guns, bad acc, bad crews soft stats, slow shells, 15 deg gun dep...)

Just had a great match at Sand River in tier 7...did 1.3 k dmg and 1.5 k spots by going mid...

Strv is not a meh tank...it frustrates you mildly, but 

Then you will like this tank. It has a much better feel...you lose speed and a lot of gold penetration, for better soft stats, gun depression, and alpha. 

Ppl underestimate low tier swedes (rightly so, TDs are terrible up to tier 8, and Kranvagn line has rather meh tanks in tier 3 and 5, 6 and 10 are excellent, and 8-9 are just fine)

Also, 150 alpha is actually enough for ppl to back away (in a tier 5 battle) for a few seconds, just enough for you to reload next shell in time. That is 1/3 health of a tier 5 med.

I think long term winrate will suffer because of the lack of "silver bullets" like T-34 gold ammo, meaning your dmg is worth less than in Skoda T24 (you can not actively hunt heavies to make your shots count more).

I will keep saying people on Wotlabs underestimate HP. It means a lot. T25 is shit. Just less than you think. it's the same ass with Ferdie which many people think is horrible despite having good results.

I agree the trier5 is capable of having great games. The thing what is annoying about it is it lacks consistency. I hate tanks that either have a great game or a total shit one

I will keep saying people on Wotlabs underestimate HP. It means a lot. T25 is shit. Just less than you think. it's the same ass with Ferdie which many people think is horrible despite having good results.

I agree the trier5 is capable of having great games. The thing what is annoying about it is it lacks consistency. I hate tanks that either have a great game or a total shit one

I agree that Ferdi gets results...but it was never shit. Even back in time of vision meta, it had more hp, arty resistance and gun arc than JP 2 (and more gun depression, arty resistance and even mobility than RHM - as long as you do not have to turn, it picks up speed like a fast heavy regarding deployment, faster than KT for example, but more sluggish to turn) and could buly ppl even better than now.

Now it is awesome. 1500 HP is a huge asset, since armor will add at least 500 more, and you can simply trade tier 8&9 to death.

Problem in tier 5 is that even "huge" 610 hp is actually weak (if not backed up by some serious armor)...since in tier 6/7 tank hitpoints numbers jump up drastically, compared to gradual increase in higher tiers. (and dpm numbers do not climb...they actually sink in tier 7-8, before climbing back in 9&10). T-34, T67 or Cromwell/34-85 have a blistering dpm capable of shredding opponents so fast, that one shot worth of meat is not that useful as it would be in higher tiers (it gives you roughly 3-4 seconds more life, too short to make a difference, while one more shot in higher tiers is usually about 8-10 sec.

There are also quite a lot of derps...and new swedish TDs have them in tier 4/5...tanks resistant to tier 4/5 heat especially benefit from "armor" that is not usually considered as such.

Regarding Strv 42 - it has "meh" kind of consistency. Like TVP VTU, you can always do at least some dmg, it is even easier due to alpha and gun depression. Just plan carefully, and pray that spot you selected will not get rushed by enemy fast heavies (or their lemmingtrain...). Shoot gold AP at least 2/3...i ran 20/20/2, but usually used more gold AP (silver is here mostly for tracking ppl i can not penetrate, or destroying objects).

8 minutes ago, Felicius said:

I agree that Ferdi gets results...but it was never shit. Even back in time of vision meta, it had more hp, arty resistance and gun arc than JP 2 (and more gun depression, arty resistance and even mobility than RHM - as long as you do not have to turn, it picks up speed like a fast heavy regarding deployment, faster than KT for example, but more sluggish to turn) and could buly ppl even better than now.

Now it is awesome. 1500 HP is a huge asset, since armor will add at least 500 more, and you can simply trade tier 8&9 to death.

Problem in tier 5 is that even "huge" 610 hp is actually weak (if not backed up by some serious armor)...since in tier 6/7 tank hitpoints numbers jump up drastically, compared to gradual increase in higher tiers. (and dpm numbers do not climb...they actually sink in tier 7-8, before climbing back in 9&10). T-34, T67 or Cromwell/34-85 have a blistering dpm capable of shredding opponents so fast, that one shot worth of meat is not that useful as it would be in higher tiers (it gives you roughly 3-4 seconds more life, too short to make a difference, while one more shot in higher tiers is usually about 8-10 sec.

There are also quite a lot of derps...and new swedish TDs have them in tier 4/5...tanks resistant to tier 4/5 heat especially benefit from "armor" that is not usually considered as such.

Regarding Strv 42 - it has "meh" kind of consistency. Like TVP VTU, you can always do at least some dmg, it is even easier due to alpha and gun depression. Just plan carefully, and pray that spot you selected will not get rushed by enemy fast heavies (or their lemmingtrain...). Shoot gold AP at least 2/3...i ran 20/20/2, but usually used more gold AP (silver is here mostly for tracking ppl i can not penetrate, or destroying objects).

I never played it before buff but Wotlabs really hated the Ferdie before buff. 

As for the STRV 42 the TVP is a good comparison but I never had consistency with it. A fast tank that is easy to hit and doesn't have gun stats or dpm means you can get amazing games when you can abuse vision. If you can't you try not to trade but very end up doing so or letting your team collapse. Though it may be my playstyle. I ended with 43 or 44% Wr on my TVP (with 1500wn8 ffs) despite doing quite good in other t8 meds

I never played it before buff but Wotlabs really hated the Ferdie before buff.

Not all unica/contributors, but...

A lot of ppl here are overhyped on fast tanks like Grille recently (same stuff like with CDC), but reality is often much different. JP 2 vs Ferdi was a prime example...it was hard to advocate the merits of Ferdi, or any other reasonably armored tank (which gets more camo and view range as well) over faster ones...Hovermeds hype was strong, now it simply switched to Skoda (tier 9 is OP, tier 10 is fine...but both are hard to carry games with, compared to tanks like T-10...but they finally see reason).

It takes years for meta changes to modify the ppls opinions of what is "good" or "bad".

10 hours ago, Felicius said:

Not all unica/contributors, but...

A lot of ppl here are overhyped on fast tanks like Grille recently (same stuff like with CDC), but reality is often much different. JP 2 vs Ferdi was a prime example...it was hard to advocate the merits of Ferdi, or any other reasonably armored tank (which gets more camo and view range as well) over faster ones...Hovermeds hype was strong, now it simply switched to Skoda (tier 9 is OP, tier 10 is fine...but both are hard to carry games with, compared to tanks like T-10...but they finally see reason).

It takes years for meta changes to modify the ppls opinions of what is "good" or "bad".

I agree. I was just commenting about the popular opinon. I agree armor and hp are underestimated here. I actually love my ferdie and love my t-10

Ziddy and I are currently grinding this and I've been pleasantly surprised about it. I didn't see any standout features before I started playing it, but right away I realized that 150 alpha rocks. Dumpsters all over T3/4 tanks (some of the former are even in one-shot territory), and is a serious threat to T5s. As long as you can make the 115/144 pen work, you're looking at a super buffed version of the M4's 76mm.

The lack of a derp gun or good APCR rounds make most T7 games a real pain, but that's life.

I like this tank.  For me the slowish reload and aim time keep me from doing too many stupid things.  It's fast enough to flex around, but a little slow on the hill climbing.  The gun depression combined with the alpha make it a real bear when you are going up against similar tier tanks.  Rammer, vents, GLD help keep it from taking too excessively long when ridge fighting.

Also, as a tier 5 this fares much better against tier 7's than the tier 6 does against 8's.  Of course, that could just be me.