WIKD

T30 Questions

30 posts in this topic

Hi

I haven't had the T30 long, and the 155 on it even less time, but have run into two trains of thought about this tank. First off my problem. I feel I tend to do pretty well in the american turreted TD's, not great but not awful. I can usually do my fair share of damage and help my team win if it's at all possible. However I have run into a few problems with the T30, namely how it is to be played and that the accuracy is much worse (at least for me) than the T28 Proto even though the stats say different. I started using this tank like the T34, just behind the front lines taking shots of opportunity.For multiple reasons that went like hell and then I read a few reviews and articles, watched a whole bunch of videos, and came to the realization that I needed to be farther back. It seems like most of what I stumbled across said to hide and snipe and not treat this as a heavy. So now I'm not sure which is the right tactic as I'm still being told it is suppose to be played as a heavy. I have also been told my skills are incorrect for this tank, which I kind of suspected as it's my old Hellcat crew, so what should be changed? My equip consists of vents, GLD and rammer. Thanks for any insight and recommendations.

Commander - 6th sense, concealment and jack of all trades at 42%

Gunner - Concealment, snap shot and designated target at 41%

Driver - Concealment, clutch braking and off road driving at 41%

Radio operator - Concealment, situational awareness and repairs at 41%

Loader 1 - Concealment, safe stowage and adrenaline rush at 41%

Loader 2 - Concealment at 64%

1) Poor crew skills

Commander: 6th, Rep, Camo
Gunner: Rep, Camo, Snap
Driver: Rep, Camo, clutch
Radio: Rep, Camo, Sit Aware
Load1: Rep, Safe, Camo
Load2: Rep, Camo, Adren

Improve survivability first, which means being able to quickly move if needed. Camo can help, but your gun handling means you're NOT going to be a CHAI sniper with great success. Its a brawler, through and through. Your environment is mid-range hull down, which makes your roof hard to over-match but allows your accuracy to work. Repairs get your tracks back up and your gun back in order. 

I'm not entirely sure about other people, however, I'm an aggressive player by nature as such what I found worked best for me was a combination of being in the front lines dealing damage and actively brawling as well as knowing when to lag behind to take advantage of hulldown cover

Thanks for the info. I'll make some changes as recommended.

6 minutes ago, Toxic_Turtles690 said:

I'm not entirely sure about other people, however, I'm an aggressive player by nature as such what I found worked best for me was a combination of being in the front lines dealing damage and actively brawling as well as knowing when to lag behind to take advantage of hulldown cover

I absolutely agree with this. I find it to be an opportunistic brawler or second line support. Don't play it like a heavy that wants to side scrape a corner against 3 enemies or anything. But in a 1v1 you can out peekaboom just about any tank in the game and can usually bait a shot into your tracks while doing it (if no hull down is available). 

10 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

1) Poor crew skills

Commander: 6th, Rep, Camo
Gunner: Rep, Camo, Snap
Driver: Rep, Camo, clutch
Radio: Rep, Camo, Sit Aware
Load1: Rep, Safe, Camo
Load2: Rep, Camo, Adren

Improve survivability first, which means being able to quickly move if needed. Camo can help, but your gun handling means you're NOT going to be a CHAI sniper with great success. Its a brawler, through and through. Your environment is mid-range hull down, which makes your roof hard to over-match but allows your accuracy to work. Repairs get your tracks back up and your gun back in order. 

I personally don't agree with camo but instead went for BIA but I agree with everything else. All my crew skills on it are geared towards heavy style gameplay. Camo will be my 4th skill. Also this is one of my few 3 marked tanks and I really enjoy it for reference! Best of luck :). 

18 minutes ago, Sinthetik said:

I personally don't agree with camo but instead went for BIA but I agree with everything else

I went based on the fact that I wouldnt feel comfortable having BIA yet with so few skills. Once it ticked over to the 4th, I would certainly drop camo for BIA, then train camo again

51 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

1) Poor crew skills

Commander: 6th, JoaT, Rep
Gunner: Snap, armorer, rep
Driver: Smooth, clutch, rep
Radio: sit, camo, rep
Load1: Safe, camo, rep
Load2: adren, camo, rep

Ftfy.

Don't need to worry about crew loss, broken guns because pubbies love shooting that, and repairs last over camo because you repair fast anyways.

This is the setup I'd go with for a mid-range sniper / close-range brawler.

Might want to consider optics > vents / gld. This would be due to the fact you should be pre-aimed for a shot 1-3s before reload and gives you the ability to spot and camosnipe blind TDs.

1 hour ago, TheMarine0341 said:

1) My Crew skills (future plans)

Commander: 6th, BiA, Rep (Recon/JoaT//Camo)
Gunner: Deadeye, BiA, Rep (SnapS/Armor/Camo)
Driver: BiA, OffRoad, Rep (Smooth/Clutch/Camo)
Radio: BiA, Rep, Sit Aware (Camo/FF/CoV)
Load1: Adren, BiA, Rep (Intuit/Camo/FF)
Load2: SafeS, BiA, Rep (Intuit/Camo/FF)

Equip - Vents/Rammer/GLD (debating dropping that for Optics)
Consumables - LFAK, LRK, Cola
Ammo - 18/12/4

And then the even worse player chimes in with his setup...

Bear in mind, I'm a masochist and train straight into perks, hence my wonky set-up.  However, this tank is a solid keeper for me.  I play as a heavy/mid-range support.  The more tier X's, the further back I go.

Camo is so late due to my playstyle... I rarely play vision games in this tank.  Plus, with SA/Cola/Vents, I'm at 428 VR, optics would put me over, or when I grab Recon.

1 hour ago, TheMarine0341 said:

I went based on the fact that I wouldnt feel comfortable having BIA yet with so few skills. Once it ticked over to the 4th, I would certainly drop camo for BIA, then train camo again

I still would take BIA/6th(gunnery or view range)/reps over that. I don't have the 3rd completed in my current crew for it. Which means I've never even had camo for it.  I also forgot to also suggest optics over vents. Either GLD/optics/rammer or Vents/optics/rammer (with food and good crew skills, optional). 

This is easier said than done, but one thing the T30 is pretty good at is locking down a corridor. T30's have big boomsticks that can really deter a push by its sheer fear factor. If you are going for wins, try to go to places where 750 alpha can not only smack the enemy, but deter them from taking good positions themselves. I know that I think twice about pushing if I know there is a T30 waiting to shoot me. Again, this is pretty situational: doing 750dmg is usually better than the threat of doing 750dmg, but sometimes the latter can be extremely useful.

Bear in mind I've never played the T30, so perhaps someone with more experience than me can comment on this advice?

The key to playing the T30 is to have a away to be safe during your painfully long reload. This can be accomplished a number of different ways. One way is to use distance - put yourself in a position where you will be firing at the enemy at a distance and can then back into cover. The enemy has to travel across a large distance to get to you such that you can have another shell ready before he gets there. You can also fight up close as a brawler at times but you want to have friendly tanks around. Be opportunistic, poke the corner during a reload, get your shot off and pull back into cover. Hopefully your friendly tanks will either discourage the bad guys from coming around and shooting you on your reload or at least punish them when they do. However you do it, you don't want to be in a position where you are trading shots because most tanks can shoot you two or three times to your one shot.

As you can see above crew skills can be a mix depending on the person. Personally, with three skills I take BIA, then sixth+snap+clutch+SA+adrenaline+SS, then have repairs training. Camo skill isn't worth it in my mind because the base camo is pretty poor on the T30. Also run cola if you can afford it since BIA+Vents+Cola provides maximum comfort.

I've been using wotinfo for all camo calculations for years. Are they wrong now or what?

Because according to them T30 has pretty decent camo for that kind of tank. With crew fully trained in camo, and with the tank painted it's camo values are OK. You won't be shooting undetected much, especially in tier 10 matches, but it's just enough so you can safely relocate or get a first shot advantage, most of the time. I say most of the time, because no amount of camo can save you from a yoloing Bat Twat on Prokhorovka.

Just the ability to aim that first shot in before your 6th sense goes berserk is worth one crew skill slot in my book. And much more useful than obscure perks like Deadeye, Designated Target, Off-Road Driving, Smooth Ride... 99% of players don't even know what those perks really improve and by how much. And those 1% who do, they know they are just a placebo.

You can't go wrong with a basic setup. 6th and repairs are your bread and butter skills. Then add camo on everything that's not a Maus, and later get BiA or whatever.

Biggest boost would be apcr, for a 750 alpha tank with a 4800 cost apcr, you have zero reason not to run it.

Infact, i believe the extra pen would compensate for the extra cost in extra revenue from extra damage, leading to more profit than shooting AP.

I basically play it the same as the T34, don't be to far forward as you have a long reload but don't be to far back because your accuracy isn't that good. Shoot lot's of APCR rounds because 1: it helps with your accuracy due to being a faster round, and 2: with a 17+ second reload you want to hit + pen when you shoot, with a Premium account and few bounces, you will still make credits. You can definitely use the fear of getting shot to your advantage, not many players are willing to lose almost half their health to root you out if you are dug into a hull down position.

Hit me up to run some T30 platoons if you see me on @WIKD, I am far from being great in it, but I did manage to get a couple of stars on the barrel.

17 hours ago, Bobi_Kreeg said:

I've been using wotinfo for all camo calculations for years. Are they wrong now or what?

Because according to them T30 has pretty decent camo for that kind of tank. With crew fully trained in camo, and with the tank painted it's camo values are OK. You won't be shooting undetected much, especially in tier 10 matches, but it's just enough so you can safely relocate or get a first shot advantage, most of the time. I say most of the time, because no amount of camo can save you from a yoloing Bat Twat on Prokhorovka.

Not sure about wotinfo, but here is the in game info on my T30, with paint and a 70% or so average crew camo:

RVVZmt7.jpg

Base for the roomba without paint/crew is 22.5, so not bad. 

The T30 is not a sniper. Its an in your face heavy tank with a big ass gun.

I play it like I play the T29, except more carefully. But it is completely a brawler. You dont have the accuracy or gun handling to snipe effectively.

Its not a TD, just remember that. Dont try to play it like one. 

I can't really fathom how this thread went so long without me seeing it....

A few tips:

1. It is NOT a T34, it is better than the T34 in every way. Including the fact that only the very biggest of TD guns can overmatch the roof, as in the 170MM of the Jagzilla, or either of the 183's (with AP only). That's it.

2. Spam APCR out of it. Yea yea yea, gold noob and load skill and yadda yadda, no one with a brain cares. It's cheap, does massive damage, and gets all the advantages of AP. There's no reason not to fire it, as Carbon stated above. Just do it.

3. It is not a TD. It is a true American hull-down heavy. If someone wanted a tier 9 T29, this is it. You move with your aggressive team elements, you find a ridge line (such as C1 on Serene Coast), you auto-aim the meds and heavies on the other side of it, poke, fire, cackle as you back off to reload. You are an armored force multiplier, not a Tank Destroyer. Don't go anywhere alone, but don't make the mistake of sitting back with the 704's and Waffle's.

4. You are not a TD, except when you are. When no clear option presents itself for ambush or close range support, be a TD and just deal with the troll accuracy until you find that opportunity to move in. If you are moving to a forward location alone in a T30, 99% of the time you are suiciding. It has a big nasty gun that no one wants to get hit by, but once you fire it off you better have friends nearby or lube at the ready, because you have your pants around your ankles for the next 16 seconds.

5 hours ago, Shade421 said:

I can't really fathom how this thread went so long without me seeing it....

A few tips:

1. It is NOT a T34, it is better than the T34 in every way. Including the fact that only the very biggest of TD guns can overmatch the roof, as in the 170MM of the Jagzilla, or either of the 183's (with AP only). That's it.

2. Spam APCR out of it. Yea yea yea, gold noob and load skill and yadda yadda, no one with a brain cares. It's cheap, does massive damage, and gets all the advantages of AP. There's no reason not to fire it, as Carbon stated above. Just do it.

3. It is not a TD. It is a true American hull-down heavy. If someone wanted a tier 9 T29, this is it. You move with your aggressive team elements, you find a ridge line (such as C1 on Serene Coast), you auto-aim the meds and heavies on the other side of it, poke, fire, cackle as you back off to reload. You are an armored force multiplier, not a Tank Destroyer. Don't go anywhere alone, but don't make the mistake of sitting back with the 704's and Waffle's.

4. You are not a TD, except when you are. When no clear option presents itself for ambush or close range support, be a TD and just deal with the troll accuracy until you find that opportunity to move in. If you are moving to a forward location alone in a T30, 99% of the time you are suiciding. It has a big nasty gun that no one wants to get hit by, but once you fire it off you better have friends nearby or lube at the ready, because you have your pants around your ankles for the next 16 seconds.

video snipped

At the risk of derailing this topic a little bit...

Did an E-100 seriously die to a Cromwell in that replay?  Timestamp 3:14 or so

5 hours ago, Shade421 said:

Since HD model it has only 38mm on roof.

3fDLoUU.png

Thanks everyone, this thread has a lot of good info. And by following it, I've actually seen an increase in my shots on target and my win percentage. On a X5 weekend no less. 

@Lightnin45, I'll look for you in game and hit you up, thanks!

7 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

Since HD model it has only 38mm on roof.

Yup it does, apparently. Funny that no one shoots at it still though, at least in my (limited) experience since the remodel.

T30 this thing tho...I keep getting snapshot into my roof and cupola by russian tanks.

I play solo only so no meat shield during the long reloading, what am I suppose to do when matched up against a bunch of IS3s and have no heavies on myside? CHAI sniping?