tesarpaul

Will mods help me on my way of improvement?

Question

Hello purple squad,

just wanted to ask you if mods will help me to improve? You can also write what mods are you using and which mods I should have.

Thanks

Tesarpaul

the green pleb

30 answers to this question

Unless you have a really shitty computer and the mods you are looking at running are things like texture compression or fog removal so you can actually play the game at an acceptable FPS or servercross because of higher ping the answer is very likely no. Based on your stats you are probably past the point that you are learning how to shoot and know generally most of the weakspots and how to pen a tank. More likely than not the biggest things that will help you improve are positioning, reading the map better, and reducing exposure none of which mods can do anything for. At best you wouldn't improve from the mods at worst your performance could decrease by taking actions that you wouldnt normally take such as with XVM stats might encourage you to be hyper-aggressive or extremely passive because of low or high chance to win which is a really useless stat on a per game level.

Most of the mods people use are for either convenience or aesthetics. I normally run yasenkrasens session stats and a damage counter in game. I used to run autoaim+ and will probably start again because the autoaim area feels much smaller on my new computer (though this is one of those mods that can create dependence and make sure to decouple your turret lock and autoaim buttons or you could have a bad time). A lot of people run Jimbos crosshair mod most of which is actually in the game at this point. A lot of people run battle assistant because it provides a different view for arty which some people find more helpful and it can make it easier to hit targets in certain areas like widepark bridge and pilsen.

Short answer if it's not your machine holding you back mods wont give you a statistically significant improvement.

With 20k games under your belt, you've long since learned everything mods could teach you. I find it exceedingly unlikely any mod will help you improve.

There are two sides to this coin, though - the other is playing better, even if it doesn't make you a better player. As much as I'd like to say otherwise, certain mods can help certain players play better. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. It's just that (at least these days) the advantages are so small, and the likelihood you won't be able to properly utilize the tools given to you so great that the idea of trying to eke out that last vestige of performance from mods when it won't even help you become a better player sounds ridiculous to me.

My recommendation is not to waste your time, but if you really want to explore what mods have to offer, try getting familiar with XVM, autoaim+, and (if its even being kept updated) safeshot (edit: safeshot is now a part of autoaim+). Otherwise, just look at mods for their convenience and aesthetics, not performance. These are the only reasons I would suggest mods to most players.

The only mods that give you a critical advantage are those that decrompress textures on potato computers.

Illegal mods like those that show downed objects and where the enemy aims + whether he is reloading are probably the only ones that give a small unfair advantage. The other "cheating" mods like aimbots honestly seem to be more of a handicap than a help at high level, although they might help real bad players to be slightly less bad.

XVM is obvious as a cause of focussing on the best players; but again there is discussion in howfar focussing multiple people on the player best at avoiding focus is actually beneficial to your team. IMO you probably better of avoiding to get hit by that best player and focussing on the rest to isolate him.

As mentioned before, the other mods are aesthetical, yet personal preference plays a big role:

- they can actually handicap you as too much information might distract you or things like damage counter might cause you to play more risky and die faster;

- some may simply give you a confidence boost. I notice I rely on the hit log mod that shows you in the middle of the screen that you were hit and for much HP you hit. In vanilla I somehow sometimes get confused and think I took less damage and die in a push; but I doubt that's a mod that gives everyone an advantage.

Again, as mentioned before, you are at a point where you can only improve through reading the game better; managing micro-positioning better; being more adapt at knowing when to reposition and when to retreat; none of those things can be helped with mods, only by experience and learning from your mistakes.

Personally I use the server side crosshair from P-mod; the garage carousel and session stats; the hit log for damage received I talked about; and, normally, but not since last patch, XVM (for the easier crew management in garage... I miss the automatically return crew options...).

I don't often contribute to these sections anymore, but I feel it has to be stressed:

Regardless of what the pubbies cry about on the forums or in game, (legal) mods give you no real advantage over anyone else, ever. I'd even argue that things like XVM hinder most players more than they help as even above average players will do really stupid shit that they would never consider doing just to kill the purple on the enemy team list that's only purple because he padded in the T30 or something anyway. I find it much more useful to judge a players skill based on what they are actually doing at the time I engage them.

As for other mods, I used to use sound mods because WoT sounds were outdated about 5 years before the game was in Alpha but now that they improved them generally, I don't even use those anymore. All the extra information that you need, such as last spotted, and various ranges on the map are all included in the vanailla client now. There really is nothing left skill-wise that you can get from mods that isn't already in the client in some way.

I would strongly recommend getting used to the game without mods and focusing on your tactics much more than your client aesthetics.

I thought using mods could make me improve more, i was wrong, and with each update my laptop is getting more obsolete so i can't run them as efficiently as in pre 9.13.

XVM is pure cancer that encourages toxicity(lel) in an already toxic space, even moreso with Chance To Win activated, the only point in using it for me was for the extra map tools which are now in the vanilla game.

Mods in general might something i see a lot: Information overload, means you are getting way too much graphical feedback that you can't process and ends up being a serious nuisance, also taking a toll in the actual computer performance if you're like me and are running on 2 GBs of RAM only, there's also the slight chance you'd end up installing an illegal modification that's not in another server, thinking it was legal and you might upset a few people.

The only mod i'd  truly use every single update is Autoaim indication +, it will help you when you're getting yoloed and you need a quick and reliable autoaim without necessarily pointing the reticle at the enemy, it can also help when requesting support fire against an enemy or asking someone to follow you (Both binded to the T key)

If by that you mean it will help you improve at a faster rate than being on vanilla, then the answer is a firm no.

A player on vanilla and a player on a modded client can improve at an equivalent pace as all the imformation you need to perform better is on the vanilla client (last known position, minimap, etc).

Everything else is for aesthetics or personal preference and thus don't truly help improve any better than someone on vanilla.

No. :dealdog:

Thanks guys for the tips and advices. 

Mods may help you improve your stats but not gameplay. To become a better player you need:

minimap (with all options on)

knowledge about game mechanics and tanks

situational awareness

There is no mod that would help you with these (except some tank info like rld time and alpha dmg - such data is provided by some modded reticles). 

Some mods may help you play better, but they will not make you a better player. If you stop using them you go back to wherever it is you were beforehand. 

Yeah, most of the mods that would give you any sort of actual benefit have been put into the game already. There isnt really anything that would actually help you.

The things that you need a become a good player, mods dont give. Map awareness, knowledge of positions. Etc. Even malf of the illegal mods out there are perfectly easy to see or do by yourself honestly. 

Previously, I would have said "Yes." The Mini-map mod especially was the most powerful mod out there. But, since that was added to the game, Ive dropped all mods except a damage counter and session stats, because if I dont have those my curiosity will fucking kill me. Mods wont improve your gameplay, better decisions will. Right now the best "learning" stream out there IMO is @BatGurl's stream. I check in there every now and then and answer questions as well

PS: Those recommending Auto-AIm+, its a borderline illegal mod, as it allows more than what vanilla can do

Im not sure about the ruling on its legality on NA, but it is a very legal mod on EU.

I find I play better with crewsound and ingame music mods. 

I would 100% agree with the fact that mods give you an advantage. 

One example of how I use XVM when scouting where the enemy team is going to go would be for instance if there are some really good players in med tanks i'll know on some maps some places where they could go which a typical player wouldn't. Equally I know if I see a blue arta player that I shouldn't peak the default easy shots of damage at the beginning as they're very likely to be aiming at that area etc.

I'd highly recommend you trying mods first and trying as many as possible and if they're not for you then take them off.

I used to be a heavy mod user. I literally had my whole screen just covered with useless mods which I didn't actually need. I've seen more and more really good streamers stop using mods so did I. I figured out that I actually didn't even need any mods to begin with as they were mostly hindering me. WoT in its current state with the updates brought many "mods" into the game by default therefore there's even a bigger reason to not use any mods. If you fancy a non-xvm damage counter that could work but anything more than that I wouldn't really advise at all.

AutoAim+ on a side note is really nice, still isn't banned on EU afaik, then again, how will they even know which mods you're using unless their client/launcher for scan your res mods folder and send the info directly to WG.

5 hours ago, GHOSTK1LL3R said:

One example of how I use XVM when scouting where the enemy team is going to go would be for instance if there are some really good players in med tanks i'll know on some maps some places where they could go which a typical player wouldn't. Equally I know if I see a blue arta player that I shouldn't peak the default easy shots of damage at the beginning as they're very likely to be aiming at that area etc.

I'd highly recommend you trying mods first and trying as many as possible and if they're not for you then take them off.

What? Making assumptions on the outcome of a match on the basis of stats does not equate to better play or improvement. Much less 'advantage'. These assumptions should be inherent against all players until proven otherwise (how the match plays out). So it's hardly an 'advantage'.

I used to be a heavy mod user as well, I only run 2 mods now, session stats and a hitlog without xvm.  But WG has added all the information you need into the game now, so technically you no longer need mods.

Every now and then you get the argument "but I need to know how good an opponent is in front of me", but really you should be able to tell either by looking at the gun marks on his barrell or how he positions his tank (in the open vs. in a good spot).  

This game is literally all positioning and pushing at the right times.  Mods won't help you learn that, only playing will.

Zoom out (max 500m). Allows for better awareness of what's going on around you.

Damage Indicator: This is an expansion to the red hit indicator that shows the direction where you've been shot from. It's useful because it stays on the screen for a long time. You don't have to pay as much attention while you're actually receiving fire.

Team HP pools: It helps to keep track of how your team is doing.

In addition to XVM's stats functionality, the following decrease annoyance:

Autologin
Tank carousel
Auto equip & crew return

I've been running vanilla for as long as I can remember. I did dab into using XVM, but that caused some performance issues with my PC and i'm just too damn lazy to have to update it every few months, so I went back to vanilla. And I do just fine.

Get in platoons more, learn from others (clan mates, regular platoon mates etc), watch some YT vids for tips.

Also, i've heard tell that WG is working on introducing a damage counter to the game along with other mods, so we'll see how it goes.

On 21/08/2016 at 3:31 AM, TheMarine0341 said:

PS: Those recommending Auto-AIm+, its a borderline illegal mod, as it allows more than what vanilla can do

By default this is often more of a hinderance than help as you auto-snap to the wrong target. A well made config only has about 2-5 degrees of motion from the reticule - a feature that should be implemented in game as it's quite tricky sometimes to auto-aim at at taget whilst concentrating on driving around obstacles/tanks/team mates etc

On 21/08/2016 at 3:49 AM, Rexxie said:

Im not sure about the ruling on its legality on NA, but it is a very legal mod on EU.

Legal on NA and legal on EU

As for the original poster; in general mods will not help that much. I like my DamageLog a LOT as it helps deliver some situational awareness.. i.e someone shooting at me and/or taking a hit. Playing on a potato laptop with an old set of headphones it's sometimes hard to tell when you have been hit or bounce shells which is why I like seeing how much I just got hit for - so I never have to look at the bottom left, my focus stays on the middle.

Other than that, Autoaim+ can help when playing light tanks in a few games but the only thing that will help you improve is knowledge (and abuse) of game mechanics, knowledge of tanks and weakspots along with the most important of all... situational awareness (being able to see what is going on through minimap information).

No mod will ever teach the key to surviving/improving... the S key, if you're in trouble then GTFO... better yet, don't get in that situation to start with

18 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

What? Making assumptions on the outcome of a match on the basis of stats does not equate to better play or improvement. Much less 'advantage'. These assumptions should be inherent against all players until proven otherwise (how the match plays out). So it's hardly an 'advantage'.

So you're telling me if you see that your team has 3 red IS-7's against 3 blue IS-7's you honestly expect your heavy line of that side to win? The statistics are there for a reason; so I chose to use them. 

2 Mods, which provide you significant advantage IMHO and which I use atm myself, cause they are in ProMod:

- zoom out: this way you can check where enemy is aiming over the corner or just take a quick look how the things are going on different map side, etc. It makes your life easier/decisions faster, whether its safe to pick/engage over a corner for example.

- damage hit log: this way you know who did shot already and thus reloading, if there are like 2-3 tanks who could have potentially shot you, without this mod, you need to pay attention to your current HP, to your new HP, the sound, etc and/or do do guess work, to find out who shot you.

I was experimenting with vanilla and with different mod packs a lot (aslain, joves, promod, wottweaker was a must as I had bad hardware earlier, etc), more with mods though. The most crucial mod I was missing a lot lately was damage hit log, because if you know who is reloading/shoot you already and if you only guess it makes a huge difference and you are more confident/less stressed in your decision making process while playing if you just can take a look at the damage hit log to gather this info.

On 2016-08-22 at 4:13 AM, GHOSTK1LL3R said:

So you're telling me if you see that your team has 3 red IS-7's against 3 blue IS-7's you honestly expect your heavy line of that side to win? The statistics are there for a reason; so I chose to use them. 

It still won't make you a better player in any way, shape, or form. If you automatically assume that is a lost cause, how do you expect to win more? You can either a) initially help out that flank and if trades go poorly flex out or b) trades go well and you steamroll that. At this point you are basically the same as the mass of pubbies that determine their wins or losses purely based on XVM chance to win. Can you really call it an advantage if you assume 'x' is lost because of 'y' without actually trying?

I'd better tell all the training Olympians who get injured en route to the Olympics to stop training because they will statistically be at a disadvantage even though there are tons of evidence to the contrary.

Stats should have nothing to do with decision making. Only what is presently going on should affect how you play.