RollerCoaster47

Dunkerque

74 posts in this topic

Anyone else bought this ship and tried it out yet? I bought it today and played nine battles in it so far. My impressions are mixed on it. Not as terrible as some people say, but definitely not the best in its class either. Heck, it's probably the worst of the five tier six battleships now in the game, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

Pros

-Never have to show broadside since both turrets are in front

-By far the fastest tier six battleship with a top speed of 29.5 knots

-Gets the choice of a scout or fighter plane

-18.2 km range is better than all but the Fuso at tier six

-Four guns per turret looks sexy

Cons

-Turning circle radius is up there with the Fuso as the worst of the battleships at tier six

-15" or larger guns will go right through your bow and stern armor (then again, they will to all other tier six battleships as well so it's more of a con shared by all five ships, not just the Dunkerque)

-Has the smallest main caliber guns of the tier six battleships at just 13"

-Because of smaller guns, you WILL bounce more shells than other tier six battleships

-Dispersion is slightly worse than its peers, but not by much

-Secondaries can really only fire to the side and rear due to their location on the ship

-AA is mediocre, though maybe that's not saying much since only the Bayern at tier six really has somewhat respectable AA

-Second worst concealment, only beating out the Fuso

All in all there's probably more to hate about this ship then there is to like about it, but that ability to fire all your guns without having to show any broadside at all is HUGE so maybe it evens out. It's actually priced fairly cheap at just $24.99 (for comparison the Warspite is $30.99 and even the Texas is more expensive at $25.99) and I wanted to get a head start training up a French captain so I'll have a good one by the time the French tech tree arrives.

Already out on NA ?

I'll have to buy it. Because sexyness and France (Yeah, I know, redundant)

My Warspite loved it, overmatches everywhere

I bought it as well. Except for the mobility factor I would say that it is probably the worst tier 6 battleship at the moment. If there was ever a ship that needed a dispersion buff this is it. There is absolutely no reason that the battleship with the worst fire power and worst protection scheme should be the one with the shittiest dispersion.

I guess the Russian WOWS balance dept needs it vodka ration cut. Every Dunkerque I have played with and against, has been played poorly. (Almost at bot or suicide levels of bad) So I am having a hard time judging how good or bad the package is. On paper it looks bad, but the people I have seen play it, aren't doing it justice either.

32 minutes ago, Jarkorsis said:

I guess the Russian WOWS balance dept needs it vodka ration cut. Every Dunkerque I have played with and against, has been played poorly. (Almost at bot or suicide levels of bad) So I am having a hard time judging how good or bad the package is. On paper it looks bad, but the people I have seen play it, aren't doing it justice either.

Better then 90% of the people that bought the Dunky will play it poorly. The turret and armor layout, combined with it's high top speed, ensures that it has a retardedly high skill floor. Sadly the skill ceiling is just barely above the floor.

1 hour ago, How_Terrible said:

I bought it as well. Except for the mobility factor I would say that it is probably the worst tier 6 battleship at the moment. If there was ever a ship that needed a dispersion buff this is it. There is absolutely no reason that the battleship with the worst fire power and worst protection scheme should be the one with the shittiest dispersion.

WoT French balancing making its way to WoWS...

5 minutes ago, FavreFan4ever said:

WoT French balancing making its way to WoWS...

It isn't WG's fault that the french military enjoys using novel designs.

I'm still on the fence about buying it, I'm not doing as good as I should in the Schornhurst because it needs a play style I'm not used to and buying the Dunkin Donut is farther from my play style

15 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

I wanted to get a head start training up a French captain so I'll have a good one by the time the French tech tree arrives.

Me too, but then I'd have to play a Dunkerque.

Sounds like it needs preferred match making because it can't really be dropped down a tier but it's not strong enough to face t8s

1 hour ago, Psycodiver said:

Sounds like it needs preferred match making because it can't really be dropped down a tier but it's not strong enough to face t8s

Actually if it were a tier 5 it would be no better then the Kongo currently is.

18 minutes ago, How_Terrible said:

Actually if it were a tier 5 it would be no better then the Kongo currently is.

I never had a issue with bringing my Kongo into T8 matches back with the old MM, well except that time I ran into a NC at less than 10km on D cap in the North map while I was broadside turning, I got wrecked so hard my ship sunk in port after the match lol. People complain to much about the MM spread when I played it was +/- 3 for all ships and I never had any issues but thats another thread. I might buy it although the Texas isn't much more expensive.

shot-16.08.26_22.36.13-0352_zpssrgankga.

Made the plunge and I was not dissappointed. First game I did 112k damage, I landed 2 citadels on a Fuso at max range and did easy 10k damage hits on other BBs. It was a T6 match and given its performance I see no issue taking it into T8 match because it is a support BB and needs to be played as a support BB. I fitted it with the rudder upgrade and plotting room although the guns behaved very nicely, if they continue to perform this well I may go for the AA upgrade instead. Situation awareness is key in this ship, I pushed up with the cruisers but when they turned and ran, I followed them and with the rudder upgrade and speed it was easy to do. I did ended up being a dirty scrub near the end when I was 1v1ing a New Mexico by fighting bow on, I was able to maintain 10knts in reverse and bounced most of his shells and with some eventual help from another NM we were able to finish him

With a couple more battles I've found this ship to be hot and cold depending on your team, if you have no support it will be a rough match, with support though you can let those guns sing. She also lights on fire super easy and I found her to be super accurate at sub 12km range but further out her dispersion goes to shit

My impressions so far :

Only sees tier VIII games.

Apparently makes every other ship on your team invisible to enemy carriers.

Is great at firing warning shots  (even when they accidentally hit) at red ships so as not to accidentally start a fight with them in case they come in peace

35 % fire chance on HE is probably a typo for 3.5%

Yea I got my fair share of T8 matches last night but I only had one game sub 60k damage, I seemed to average 70-90k. I got no luck with teams last night though and got very little support other than the random cruiser or destroyer, I spent allot of the night firing over the shoulder which by the way this ship does pretty well

I started noticing I'm getting allot of double and triple citadels lately, shell grouping really goes up under 14km. It's weird this ship's guns really shine at mid-close range but the ship itself is fairly fragile and prone to catching fire

Seems like a reasonable ship although this weekend has a destroyer special on EU so it's a bit rough to be torped and smoke-shot. The guns are punchy and remind me of the Gneisenau's 15" rifles. Carriers wreck it though. The AA is utterly pitiful.

I have AFT and BFT along with the fighter and it doesn't do to bad with T5-6 carriers, if they want me they will get me but at least I can kill a couple planes in the process, T7-T8 CVs is another question and makes me wish for my Colorado during those games.

Another amusing night with this ship which I finished with this battle, so close to a Kraken too, I just need one more decent salvo to finish a cruiser off. I dunno why people say these guns are under powered for T6, they have the same penetration over distance as the New Mexico and superior pen to the Arizona.

shot-16.09.03_23.42.20-0604_zpsobkgiuhg.

shot-16.09.03_23.42.39-0956_zpsnlmmyjdm.

It's a weird feeling to not have to worry about aft facing turrets. I have to say it's one of the most "comfortable" BBs I've played regardless of how good, or bad it is. Between my recent purchases of the Scharnhorst and the Dunkerque, Scharnhorst is no doubt the better ship, but I don't regret getting the Dunkerque. 

Was quite tempted because of my fascination with all-guns-forward designs, and watching atsf's How to Dunkerque video was the clincher.  Just bought her.

I'm starting to like that ship. One thing that can't be denied about it (besides the fact that it's drop dead gorgeous) is that it's a really fun ship.

You guys agree with ATSF on the rudder shift time mod ?

Just now, Sidus_Preclarum said:

You guys agree with ATSF on the rudder shift time mod ?

nah, i think the stock is like 14 sec, more then enough, i went for the fire mod one, because you light really easy.

I went with Rudder Shift and I run premium damage control, this ship is keeping me stocked up on fire flags also lol. Funny thing is yes I burn most of the match but it usually only 1 fire. Proper DC management goes along way with this ship