Rodrigopine

Kagero Advice

22 posts in this topic

Hi community,

I've recently unlocked the Kagero and so far the experience has been rather underwhelming. Right now I'm running the stock torpedoes and have the B hull unlocked. She feels a bit sluggish and unresponsive even with the rudder shift upgrade and the guns have lol range. Feels very much like a downgrade from the Fubuki. Any tips, advice, thoughts welcome.

warm regards,

Rod

it plays like the Fubuki. Stay invisible and sling torps. CE is a good option. I would get torp reload as the module upgrade. Captains build is standard IJN. It is a downgrade from Fubuki.

Kagero seems to have suffered the most from the IJN torpedo changes a few months ago.  I quite enjoyed the ship when I played it, but there's no good mid-range torpedo option now.

Yeah the torp options are kind of odd; 8km, 10km, 20km. The stock 10km torps just feel kind of ho-hum. I can't imagine the 20km ones are at all viable with the detection nerfs plus I don't like torps that could easily overshoot during pincher maneuvers and do team damage. That leaves the 8km torps that sound downright suicidal with all the ways you can be detected these days. The ship feels like it could use an update to make it more viable in the current meta.

sell the ship and switch to RU DDs, the most hilariously broken ships in the game, which also are balanced according to wargaming's bullshit balancing logic (i.e. russian bias)

I finished the grind on it a few weeks ago and very much enjoyed running the 8k torpedoes on it. My only complaint with it is, like the Fubuki, the top speed is only 35 knots.

So I played a few games over the weekend and I think I have a better feel for it now. It seems like you really have to ride that edge of being almost detected to make the most of the torpedo systems. (I don't think I've hit a single ship with torpedoes at or near the max 10km range.) It really is a 'don't fire to you see the whites of their eyes' kind of ship. Probably has to do somewhat with the detectability of the IJN torpedoes plus higher tiers people are less likely to just plow forward in straight lines. One of the other deficits compared to the Fubuki is the 2 x 4 torpedo arrangement is less flexible than the 3 x 3. 

Hopefully the Shimakaze is worth it because unlike the Fubuki I can't see myself keeping this ship once the grind is over.  

I have been using the high speed 8k torps. It's a death wish unless there are a lot of islands to run behind, but US or Russki DD's will rush you once they dodge your initial torp drop and finish you off if you try and hide behind smoke or islands.

They went a bit to far in the tier 9 Kagero torp nerfs ....

2 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

I have been using the high speed 8k torps. It's a death wish unless there are a lot of islands to run behind, but US or Russki DD's will rush you once they dodge your initial torp drop and finish you off if you try and hide behind smoke or islands.

They went a bit to far in the tier 9 Kagero torp nerfs ....

Yeah, I have found that once the other DDs have a general idea of where you are they will push into you pretty hard. It's really tricky because as you say without islands it can be hard to escape because the Kagero isn't exactly fast compared to other DDs.

Yesterday I supported a Bismarck and that was fun because I could spot the enemy DDs for the Bismarck's secondaries without being spotted in return. :)

8 km torpedoes are by far the most fun and in all seriousness are the best option as well. I just hope for your sake you have both Concealment Expert captain's skill AND the concealment upgrade because there might not be a DD in the game that needs both more than the Kagero. 5.4 km detection in a tier 9 DD is fantastic, just gotta watch out for cruisers with radar.

If you have a CE captain you can try and run the S3 torps. The camo of the Kagero is such that you can pull hits off quite often and these buggers are really a nightmare for enemy DDs.

But the stock torps are still better in more situations. basically the Kagero is a Fubuki with one less torp and worse turret traverse and range (wtf?) but slightly faster and slightly more stealthy - not enough when you face the deadly Fletchers. I hated the Kagero, my by far worst IJN DD (didn't help that I played it after I came back to the game being still quite rusty though).

Other than that, if you get detected by an USN DD, turn away. Don't bother with anything, turn away. THEN you present a quite small target AND you can bring 4 guns to bear while the USN DD has a hard time hitting you and if he chases you will give up his only advantage - dpm. Finally, as usual, do not bother with the C hull, it's a useless exp tax.

Yeah the kagero definitely doesn't feel as capable as the Fubuki. It'll be interesting to see how the various ships change once they implement the new IJN tech tree. I wouldn't mind some gun boat options so long as they are differentiated in some way from the Russian and US DDs. (Maybe they'll keep the large-ish alpha of the IJN guns but improve the turret traverse and reload?)

The IJn DD world is abuzz with some devs announcement that besides the gunboat line, WG wants to adjust the other line to be more hybrid and less torp centric. I guess this will mean the Mutsuki+ line will get their torps nerfed and their guns buffed.

What everyone seems to miss is that, apart from Mutsuki and Kagero, especially at low tiers are IJN completly torp boats.So WG needs to change these the most. Really you can get awesome results in Umikaze, Wakatake, Isokaze and Minekaze while never firing their guns even once.

I think it's fine to have dedicated torp boats in the game if only for the sake of variety. What might need to change some is the implementation. It seems like a fair number of players hate being on the receiving end of torps hence the nerf to torpedo detectability. But I think the overall flavor of being stealthy ninjas can be preserved without having them be OP. Maybe adjust the damage and cool downs so you have less outright kills but more DPM? That might make it a bit more dynamic? Just kind of thinking out loud...

As far as the guns I generally like the alpha of the IJN DDs they seem well suited for finishing off low health targets. I guess if the new focus is going to be on the guns then they'd have to buff the RoF or turret traverse or range or something. But they'd have to be careful otherwise they run the risk of making them too similar to Russian or US DDs. What do you think Jaegaer?

Following up on my earlier post here; I'm running the Kagero now with a CE captain and 'suicide' torps and I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Yes there is the danger of being spotted out of position and nuked however that hasn't really been a recurring problem for me. And I like the speed and detectability of the 8km torps. Perfect for ambushes. I still don't like it quite as much as the Fabuki but I'm starting to gel with this ship's characteristics.

So yesterday I decided to use Torp reload on the Kagero instead of smoke and with concealment it seems like the way to go. You never fire your guns anyways and having torps just 30s after you launched your first volley is fucking awesome, it often cause your first torps to be bait so they never expect the second volley.

cox4zNw.jpg

em8TSB6.jpg

O1n4LTQ.jpg

I might have to experiment with going smokeless since the value of smoke has diminished some with the higher prevalence of radar/hydro ships. It could put the element of surprise back into torpedoes!

I tried the Kagero with the torp reload boost and the 8km F3 torps - suicidal at times.  Better value with the longer range ones, though I have no idea what that is now after the rebalance.

67 knots @ 10k should work great with the 30 sec reload.

49 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

I tried the Kagero with the torp reload boost and the 8km F3 torps - suicidal at times.  Better value with the longer range ones, though I have no idea what that is now after the rebalance.

67 knots @ 10k should work great with the 30 sec reload.

It works great, the biggest thing is that BBs will often dodge the first torps and than just keep going straight so you will often hit 3+ torps on the second volley.

It feels a bit inferior compared to Akatsuki (tier 7), i dont like that it has less torpedo launchers and i dont like that i have to drop smoke in order to use the torp reload boost (since i like to smoke my teammates)... win>damage.

Why the tier 7 has better AA than Kagero ? Tier 7 guns are dual purpose while Kagero's are not... weird.

The Kagero probably feels inferior  in part because it used to be a tier 9 that got slightly re-worked and bumped down to tier 8. I never played it in it's current state, only the tier 9 version. What I do know is it still has top level concealment and you'll have to leverage that to get into positions to attack without detection. You'll have to keep a close watch on any radar ships and planes on the enemy team and get used to evading them. Sometimes it means having to fall back, temporarily, from a cap because you're more valuable to your team alive than dead and at high tiers sometimes all it takes is getting spotted once to get focused and killed. Hope this helps.