Shade421

Official Show Off Your Vehicle Thread!!

132 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Deusmortis said:

As I've traveled through Europe lately (or stopped in a few ports of call, at least), I've had some automotive ponderings:

Do euros actually like the way these look?

Is everything some form of hatchback?

I think the average American motorcycle is larger than the average European family vehicle.

Is that a lawnmower engine, a seat, some plywood, and clear plastic wrapped around a person actually considered a vehicle?

How many of these vehicles have double digit horsepower figures?  Can they even make it up these hills?

Actually, I think you have it back to front. It seems like the rest of the world have normal sized vehicles whereas the US has a metric shit-town on US-only brands and sub-brands that are absurdly large.

31 minutes ago, karl0ssus1 said:

0.o

What is it with "Muricans and absurdly large vehicles?

IKR. That vehicles looks kinda like a Toyota Hilux (A very popular vehicle here in South Africa btw, iirc the most purchased vehicle here is the Hilux or it was for several years running) but stretched out to the length of one of those really large vans.

50 minutes ago, karl0ssus1 said:

0.o

lol well gotta haul some very large loads sometimes

H32nbWJ.jpg

54 minutes ago, Shakey72 said:

Picker this up a year ago 2005 Mercedes Benz CLK 500

9rMaMrK.jpg

Nice.

Although CLK DTM is my dream car. K666DTM-000_1024x768.jpg

Also i'm lurking on SL55 (R230) these days. But i need work little bit more :(

2 hours ago, karl0ssus1 said:

0.o

Freedom MF. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2s86g3

Top Gear S11E06 :kappaross:

1 hour ago, BlackAdder said:

Nice.

Although CLK DTM is my dream car. K666DTM-000_1024x768.jpg

Also i'm lurking on SL55 (R230) these days. But i need work little bit more :(

Freedom MF. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2s86g3

Top Gear S11E06 :kappaross:

One thing nice about Mercedes is the styling stays consistent. So even the older models still look great.

2 hours ago, Shakey72 said:

One thing nice about Mercedes is the styling stays consistent. So even the older models still look great.

Newer mercs are bleek and generic for me. Also they print out so many models. Currently i would go only for R231 and C217. Everything else is not my thing, unlike few years ago when they had whole lineup of great cars...

10 hours ago, Deusmortis said:

s I've traveled through Europe lately (or stopped in a few ports of call, at least), I've had some automotive ponderings:

Do euros actually like the way these look?

Is everything some form of hatchback?

I think the average American motorcycle is larger than the average European family vehicle.

Is that a lawnmower engine, a seat, some plywood, and clear plastic wrapped around a person actually considered a vehicle?

How many of these vehicles have double digit horsepower figures?  Can they even make it up these hills?

I think you have it the wrong way around.

Do americans actually like how their giant monstrosities look? I honestly think that truck nelson has looks stupid. Its too big. Most of the others look ugly as hell as well, IMO. (so far the only one I've seen that I actually liked how it looked was the F150 that Jeremy Clarkson drove in the last season of top gear)

As for the hatchbacks and things, a lot of them are small city cars. You dont need a lot of horsepower when most of your driving is around a place like london, and you need it to be small and nimble. Trying to take something like Nelsons truck into a big city would be an absolute nightmare. It wouldnt fit. Hell, it probably wouldnt fit on the motorway half the time, let alone the country backroads. 

As for the pulling heavy loads, a Toyota Hilux would do just fine. Pulling that, but even then we dont have things that big. That truck and caravan combination is longer than a bus here in NZ. Hell, as it is, you could probably park my car end to end twice and it would be as long as Nelsons truck. 

Even things like the Suburban and such, its huge. Its just not needed. 

I have a 2 litre Focus Estate. That's a BIG-ass car here, both dimensions and engine. Most are 1.0 - 1.6 litre hatchbacks or saloons. It's only really the German cars which push 2 litres or more.

Hot hatches never took off in the states I guess. 200+ HP in a lightweight car with go-kart handling? Yes please.

Theyve got bigger over time though, but the horsepower figures have matched it, the Focus RS is putting out something stupid like 350HP through all four wheels. 

Personally, Im driving a 2.2 litre Camry, and that thing is too big to park in my garage (inner city living... gotta love it).

10 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Do americans actually like how their giant monstrosities look? I honestly think that truck nelson has looks stupid. Its too big. Most of the others look ugly as hell as well, IMO. (so far the only one I've seen that I actually liked how it looked was the F150 that Jeremy Clarkson drove in the last season of top gear)

As for the hatchbacks and things, a lot of them are small city cars. You dont need a lot of horsepower when most of your driving is around a place like london, and you need it to be small and nimble. Trying to take something like Nelsons truck into a big city would be an absolute nightmare. It wouldnt fit. Hell, it probably wouldnt fit on the motorway half the time, let alone the country backroads. 

As for the pulling heavy loads, a Toyota Hilux would do just fine. Pulling that, but even then we dont have things that big. That truck and caravan combination is longer than a bus here in NZ. Hell, as it is, you could probably park my car end to end twice and it would be as long as Nelsons truck. 

As for how they look it's all about culture and what you're used to. Honestly, I think we in the US are way more diverse than anywhere else when it comes to what kinds of vehicles people are enthusiastic about, mostly because literally everything has a market here, from tiny little European hatchbacks to big ass granny mobile Cadillac's and Lincoln's to small, powerful desert-bashing off roaders to huge diesel pulling monsters. And everything in between. When I was in California I even saw someone had imported a Holden Maloo and drove it around out there all the time.

Some of them are, in fact, needed. I used to drive from North Carolina to New Hampshire when I was stationed down there. When I got sent to Japan, I had both my Dakota and the big red diesel. The drive is 900 miles of highway through everything, cities and mountains. I can promise you beyond any shadow of a doubt no Hilux would have been able to tow that Dakota through the mountains on I-95 in Connecticut at 70+MPH. We used that same truck to tow a 20 foot 10,000LB car trailer full of an entire household worth of furniture, appliances, and belongings from New Hampshire to Kansas, then to Wisconsin, and then back to New Hampshire. No Hilux would have been able to tow that trailer. When I got married I used that truck to load up all of my wife's belongings in Tennessee and trailer her car from there across the entire country, to California. I'd like to see any mid-size pickup or SUV try to drag that much stuff over the Rockies through Flagstaff and then on to the California desert. Suburban's and other full-size SUV's (the old diesel Ford Excursion was my all time favorite) can do all that as well as fit a family of 5 plus dogs in luxury. You might not need them in NZ or most places in Europe, but there are a wide variety of reasons to own vehicles like that here, in a country that spans literally every environment and terrain type on the planet.

I would like to join the topic, and show off my beauties :)

I thought Alfa Romeos were shit unreliable cars, until I bought 147 cheap from a friend. I was AMAZED how good that car was actually, and how it was perfectly fit for Belgrade traffic at the time (Belgrade = capital of Serbia = terible traffic). I loved racing douchebags in their huge BMWs, since the car is far more agile than their beasts, and I would find my way through the traffic better than they could. And I loved how it looked for a small car.

Also, believe it or not, it was a chick magnet. It had a sleek black/beige interior which, from the inside, it made it look like a luxury car. I fell in love with it! And I researched what is there beyond. And I saw that, the most beautiful car on the world is the next in line, and I had do have it!

I just love the design of Alfa Romeo 159, and, at the moment, I don't think that there is any car in the class that looks even remotely good as this one. I moved to Germany in March this year, and one of the first things I did was to look for a good, well maintained 159. This particular one is from 2009, restyling version. It has very reliable 1.9JTDm engine, 150HP, quite enough for enjoyable autobahn rides. Cruising with this thing is such a joy, and I am thrilled how Italians managed to give a tiny bit of a sporty feel to a big car packed in such beautiful design. And, since these are very uncommon in the BMWland, it turns heads while I stroll downtown Munich.

The only thing is that I won't be able to test it's fishing capabilities, since I caught this one, and I plan to hold on to her for a long time ;)

uIBUyb5.jpg

QEoCuzh.jpg

ifmlauQ.jpg

G4Lt6nk.jpg

E0qgm4O.jpg

11 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Some of us like the monstrosities.  I'm not one of them.  In fact, I used to laugh quite a bit when working at Texas hospitals, and seeing people with their Special Extended Crew Cab Dual Texas Edition trucks try to park, or fit up ramps in the parking garage.  My observation is more along the lines of everything in Europe being quite small.  I've seriously seen vehicles that had to be from kits, built just big enough for a single person and some groceries.  I've heard the tiny motors straining to get up the hills in places like Mykonos.  Also, I see a lot more mopeds or light two wheelers.  

But ignoring the sizes, there seems to be a fairly homogeneous styling across euro cars that looks very bland to me.  Likely a cultural thing.  

The sized are probably necessary, as the roads I've seen here are quite a bit more narrow.  

I resently sold my old car and got a newer one, don't have an actual picture of mine but it looks exactly like this one.

567_corsa14_abre.jpg

It's a 2010 Chevrolet Corsa Premium, 1.4L engine. It's pretty nimble and pleasant to drive.

23 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Prepare to be unimpressed:

So yeah, not exactly a manly car driver. Pick-up trucks with their combination of terrible fuel economy and uncomfortable ride aren't really my style :-)

It's interesting to see the variety of cars that seem to be largely confined to the US (or maybe just 1st world?). Such odd shapes, such long wheelbase :-)

I didn't know SA drives on the wrong side of the road.

28 minutes ago, Shackram said:

I resently sold my old car and got a newer one, don't have an actual picture of mine but it looks exactly like this one.

567_corsa14_abre.jpg

It's a 2010 Chevrolet Corsa Premium, 1.4L engine. It's pretty nimble and pleasant to drive.

I didn't know SA drives on the wrong side of the road.

I remember when they used to be Open Corsas :-) The Corsa is pretty popular in SA as well, although the most popular model is a bakkie variant:

Most of the world outside the US drives on the "wrong" side...

38 minutes ago, Deusmortis said:

Some of us like the monstrosities.  I'm not one of them.  In fact, I used to laugh quite a bit when working at Texas hospitals, and seeing people with their Special Extended Crew Cab Dual Texas Edition trucks try to park, or fit up ramps in the parking garage.  My observation is more along the lines of everything in Europe being quite small.  I've seriously seen vehicles that had to be from kits, built just big enough for a single person and some groceries.  I've heard the tiny motors straining to get up the hills in places like Mykonos.  Also, I see a lot more mopeds or light two wheelers.  

But ignoring the sizes, there seems to be a fairly homogeneous styling across euro cars that looks very bland to me.  Likely a cultural thing.  

The sized are probably necessary, as the roads I've seen here are quite a bit more narrow.  

It's the roads. The size of the cars in Europe and Japan also is dictated by the size of the roads. Cars need to have excellent handling(relatively speaking)  and small zippy engines work better with manual gearboxes (stick shift??). Most cars in Europe with be manual not automatic.

Terrain in Europe is very diverse and the road system we have is inherited. That is why we have lots of twisty narrow stuff.

America is a massive country and it's not very old from a nation perspective,so when your road network was planned it was later out in the grid system,I think your cities are planned the same.

So as there is plenty of room in America you get big long wide and straight roads which is why large comfortable cars are popular.

@Shade421 Hey man, don't knock the Hilux. South African farmers gotta drive something and Ford SA doesn't import all those F-1XX monster trucks ;-)

Besides the Hilux (particularly in it's Legend variant), Isuzus, Nissans and some Land Rovers are also popular with the outdoors types here. And there is plenty of rough terrain in this country btw and a lot less paved roads to drive on outside of the cities and major inter-city routes.

However, towing large loads with small vehicles is not that popular around here. Most of the time people have to move long distance they hire a removals company and everything gets put in a proper truck and trailer combo.

21 minutes ago, zbran said:

Most cars in Europe with be manual not automatic.

Because until recent, automatic really sucked major balls. 

I still prefer DSG (which isn't auto) than an auto gearbox. I drove few older cars, and i hate every second of that stupid TQ converter slip.

Also, EU has more expensive gas, and we literally can't afford gas guzzlers and V10 OHC engine, when we can achieve same BHP/WTQ with 2.0 turbo. 

48 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Most of the world outside the US drives on the "wrong" side...

You'd be surprised... Most of the world INCLUDING the US drives on the wrong side.

2000px-Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_

9 minutes ago, PityFool said:

You'd be surprised... Most of the world INCLUDING the US drives on the wrong side.

Theres actually more blue in that image than I expected.

1 minute ago, karl0ssus1 said:

Theres actually more blue in that image than I expected.

Yea, slowly correcting the world one country at a time, hopefully by 2050 its all blue.

:dealdog:

@PityFool Wat. Wow, I feel dumb. I thought that Europe drives on the left same as the UK. Realistically, it doesn't make a huge different though. There's always going to be an "easy" turn and a "hard" turn regardless of which side you drive on. And I'm guessing that most people the world over are so dumb that they fail to realise that if I'm at a stop and they're at a yield they should not stop and wait for me to go like fucking cretins.

40 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

Because until recent, automatic really sucked major balls. 

I still prefer DSG (which isn't auto) than an auto gearbox. I drove few older cars, and i hate every second of that stupid TQ converter slip.

Also, EU has more expensive gas, and we literally can't afford gas guzzlers and V10 OHC engine, when we can achieve same BHP/WTQ with 2.0 turbo. 

My Peugeot has a Porsche Tiptronic gearbox. But I'm still enjoying not having to shift gears so I don't use it much :-)

2 hours ago, PityFool said:

Is there any truth in the legend about why different countries drive on the left/right?

The story I heard was that centuries ago, when passing a stranger on the road, you'd keep them on the side you held your sword, just in case shit went down. As most people are right handed, that meant you travelled on the left-hand-side of the road.

As foot and horse travel gave way to cars, the convention stuck and was eventually incorporated into the UK's first road laws during the industrial revolution. As other countries started developing road networks (particularly the US and Europe), when the question was raised as to which side to drive on, it was decided to use the opposite of whatever the UK had decided, out of sheer bloody-mindedness because we'd pissed off so much of the world.

1 minute ago, BattleMetalChris said:

Is there any truth in the legend about why different countries drive on the left/right?

The story I heard was that centuries ago, when passing a stranger on the road, you'd keep them on the side you held your sword, just in case shit went down. As most people are right handed, that meant you travelled on the left-hand-side of the road.

As foot and horse travel gave way to cars, the convention stuck and was eventually incorporated into the UK's first road laws during the industrial revolution. As other countries started developing road networks (particularly the US and Europe), when the question was raised as to which side to drive on, it was decided to use the opposite of whatever the UK had decided, out of sheer bloody-mindedness because we'd pissed off so much of the world.

I actually have no idea... that sounds fairly plausible though.