Pocktio

Honobru Japanese Destroyerbru

51 posts in this topic

The Akizuki will be an eye opener to anyone that grinds it. I have IFHE and DE on mine and last game is an example of what to expect. 265 hits for 40kish damage. Most of which was using AP to sink a Cleveland. I got 2 torp hits for another 41k damage. I think when the "balancers" (I use the term loosely) changed the HE pen from 19 to 17mm made a big mistake. 

If you ever wondered why you see Akizuki's shooting AP a lot, is that IFHE after the nerf helps some, but 30 percent of nothing is still nothing. It is a fun boat, but it is slow. You will be switching ammo a lot. The Youtubers videos were from before the pen nerf.

Do the guns on the Akizuki make up for the loss of speed and losing the torp launcher vs the Shiratsuyu  with your IFHE setup or is the Shiratsu better?

1 hour ago, xWulffx said:

Do the guns on the Akizuki make up for the loss of speed and losing the torp launcher vs the Shiratsuyu  with your IFHE setup or is the Shiratsu better?

Shiratsuyu is better, in that it has its own role and excels at it.  Akizuki is ok, but it's still an inferior gunboat to Benson, while also being a worse torpedo boat.

53 minutes ago, Mesrith said:

Shiratsuyu is better, in that it has its own role and excels at it.  Akizuki is ok, but it's still an inferior gunboat to Benson, while also being a worse torpedo boat.

Akizuki's niche is a lol-spammy gunboat, with the awful HE pen, Aki will never be a truly competitive boat.

On 2/13/2017 at 10:04 PM, xWulffx said:

Then I'm not going to even bother getting it.

It may not stand out as much as the Shira, but I will certainly try it.  I am interested in seeing how well it's AP spam can work on higher tiers.

Got the Shriatsuyu and lovin it like McD's, we went in a 3 man divisiojn of them and kicked out a wall of torpenis that was epic ... mangled 3 BBs badly

I'm doing my best to unlock the Shiratsuyu but the new Hatsuharu is as un-fun as the old Hatsuharu. The torpedo systems are god awful and the guns would be ok if they could shoot beyond 9.1 km. And the ship itself isn't particularly fast either for a DD so I find a lot of time wasted trying to get into position to try to even use the guns or torpedoes.

14 minutes ago, Rodrigopine said:

I'm doing my best to unlock the Shiratsuyu but the new Hatsuharu is as un-fun as the old Hatsuharu. The torpedo systems are god awful and the guns would be ok if they could shoot beyond 9.1 km. And the ship itself isn't particularly fast either for a DD so I find a lot of time wasted trying to get into position to try to even use the guns or torpedoes.

I feel your pain.  Almost done with the dumpy Minekaze since I decided to run this line a couple weeks ago for the Shira and definitely not stoked about playing it these days, much less the prospect of repeating this whole grind with another piece of 3-day old sushi with the Hatsu at tier 6.  

Plus I am scrooge McDucking free xp for MIghty Mo. Ugh.

2 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

Plus I am scrooge McDucking free xp for MIghty Mo. Ugh.

I've come to the realization that I suck at BBs so I haven't been hoarding my free xp to unlock another ship I'll underperform in; I just spent the bulk of it on upgrading the modules on the Fletcher, Roon and Udaloi. Tier 9 so expensive!

41 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Poor Hatsuhara, "Friend Zoned" by wargaming two separate times .....

True. And they could fix it by giving the 2nd boat in the 'gun boat line' *drum roll* effective guns. (Definitely a range increase and maybe a RoF buff.) Honestly for a gun oriented line the torpedoes don't HAVE to be amazing. But the guns damn well better be.

5 minutes ago, Rodrigopine said:

True. And they could fix it by giving the 2nd boat in the 'gun boat line' *drum roll* effective guns. (Definitely a range increase and maybe a RoF buff.) Honestly for a gun oriented line the torpedoes don't HAVE to be amazing. But the guns damn well better be.

And maybe letting us have the 10km torps with the additional gun turret. 

Noob question; which is the torpedo boat branch and which is the gun boat branch?

I had assumed that the main line was the torpedo boat line and the branch were hybrids.  But the Shira sounds like it's the torpedo boat.

Is one line better?

29 minutes ago, Manic_Wombat said:

Noob question; which is the torpedo boat branch and which is the gun boat branch?

I had assumed that the main line was the torpedo boat line and the branch were hybrids.  But the Shira sounds like it's the torpedo boat.

It doesn't really work out that way.  Akizuki is the premier gunboat of IJN destroyers, while Shiratsuyu and Shimakaze are IMO tied to be the premier torpedoboats.  On the other hand, the Yugumo is supposedly a wickedly good gunboat, but I haven't played it since I already owned Shimakaze before the rework.

The Yuugumo has very good guns (notably the rate of fire is the best of all the 127 armed DDs, IIRC), but the range is still really short for me. I think it'd be alright with AFT and IFHE.

That said, I can't shake this persistent feeling when I play it that it's just a worse Fletcher. I am struggling to find any advantages besides accuracy.

Shiratsuyu is the best torp boat in the game. The torps are very good at tier VII where 10km range works. Reload consumable at 5 secs means you can saturate the ample smokes and get a good laugh out of double killing a DD and a RN CL. The gunboats at this tier either have WAY worse concealment or worse concealment and bad gun placement (a Kiev wanting to hit you with all guns needs to show a lot of broadside) while you can run away (prem speed boost is a must and the new speed boost upgrade is really good for the Shira too) and shoot 4 guns if you think you can force him to smoke.

Apart from that the MM is just glorious as you meet a lot of still clueless Bayerns and even Königs that you can rape to your hearts contend.

Finally this DD was made for Radio Location! Never get surprised again! Gunboat DDs mostly need AFT and CE and have no place for RL but the Shira (and the Shima) can deal enough damage with their torps if played well and thus don't need AFT which means RL it is.

In this way RL was an unlikely IJN torpboat buff.

By the way, I recant my earlier statement about the Akizuki being an inferior gunboat to Benson.  After improving my commander by several points, this ship is downright nasty.  The HE is serviceable with IFHE, and the AP is wicked against battleship/cruiser superstructures and devastating against broadside destroyers.  I wasted a full heath Gearing in about 12 seconds a couple of days ago with AP.  It's rapidly become one of my favorite ships, and I still don't even have Concealment Expert on it.

FYI: simple DD dpm comparison (pen dmg, 33% of stated alpha, no skills/equipment effect applied)

Benson: 53892

Akizuki (HE): 64000

Akizuki (AP): 90666

Fletcher shares DPM with benson. Then it explodes with Gearing: 72000

Edit: fun addendum

Kiev, Trash, Udaloi shares dpm at 38400

Yuugumo (T9) is close at 37828

Shima has lower at 36000

DPM does not tell the full story of Akisuki. Most of it's HE shells shatter. HE pen is base of 17mm so 22 with IFHE. 

265 hits for 40k damage is low. 20-25k was from AP shells killing a Cleveland. To do consistent damage AP shells are required. (Also a little luck with Torps)

1 hour ago, Jarkorsis said:

DPM does not tell the full story of Akisuki. Most of it's HE shells shatter. HE pen is base of 17mm so 22 with IFHE. 

265 hits for 40k damage is low. 20-25k was from AP shells killing a Cleveland. To do consistent damage AP shells are required. (Also a little luck with Torps)

I believe effects of IFHE are well known by the forum members by now.

To reiterate for those who were away from the game news in general, IFHE allows Akizuki to directly damage DD hulls and BB superstructures with HE shells at the cost of -3% fire chance. This allows the ship to reliably combat enemy DDs and damage angled BBs but its ability to farm fire damage suffers accordingly. In simpler terms, to quote Flamu, one of famous streamers, IFHE significantly increases Akizuki's ability to combat other DDs but hurts average damage stat.

Besides, I didn't intend to prove anything with base DPM numbers; those are just supplementary info for the ongoing gunboat discussion.

Flamu was playing the Akizuki when it had HE pen of 19 mm. It has since been lowered to 17mm. This changes IFHE pen to 22 mm down from 25mm. I believe a lot of deck armor was 25mm. It won't damage that anymore. The Akizuki is a challenge to play the way it currently works.

56 minutes ago, Jarkorsis said:

Flamu was playing the Akizuki when it had HE pen of 19 mm. It has since been lowered to 17mm. This changes IFHE pen to 22 mm down from 25mm. I believe a lot of deck armor was 25mm. It won't damage that anymore. The Akizuki is a challenge to play the way it currently works.

WG has made HE pen calculation needlessly confusing.

You are right that 30% increase from 19mm results in 24.7mm -> rounded to nearest integer -> 25mm end result. However, this is not the end of calculation.

Remember that pre-nerf, Akizuki HE could not pen 19mm DD hull platings anyway, which means that by WG formula, HE cannot pen if armor thickness is same as pen value.

Thus, this supposed nerf did not change anything in practical terms. I'll add a dev posting on reddit to corroborate what I said.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/5oig75/dev_qa_060/dcjrcpu/