arthurwellsley

Strv m/42-57 Premium alt.A2

90 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Manic_Wombat said:

Is there a consensus on the choice of equipment? Specifically does it need to use a GLD, or is vents/optics/binos viable?

I am a permablue, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Vents, optics, GLD. The gun shoots faster than it aims after firing, so GLD gets that second round downrange faster.

18 hours ago, RunninKurt said:

The gun shoots faster than it aims after firing, so GLD gets that second round downrange faster

This

That new Swedish Tank

Finally, new content! And, this nation is going to be pretty unique. Wargaming will soon be releasing two lines of Swedish tanks, and started with the Strv m/45-57 (This tank seriously needs a usable nick-name, cause that’s a pain to constantly type out!). A tier 6 auto-loader with standard matchmaking but premium credit earning and crew training, I recently was gifted this tank to review and display, and will be available for gold in your garage probably for about 3700 gold in patch 9.17. So, without further ado, let's get going!

Crew

This tank has three crew members, a Commander (also the Radio Operator and Loader), the gunner (also the loader) and a driver. Because there’s only three crew members and it’s a premium tank, I was quickly able to use a 200% crew EXP bonus and a 100% EXP bonus personal reserves over 4 hours of play to get a few basic crew skills started. I did free EXP 6th sense on the commander, as this skill is vitally important to survival in an auto-loader without armor. Currently, my crew is being trained as such;

Commander: 6th, Camo, Repairs*
Gunner: Camo, Repairs Snapshot*
Driver: Camo, Repairs, Smooth Ride*
(* indicates this is the plan, as my crew is currently about 60% on its 2nd crew skill)

Loadout

Your standard ammo (Armor Penetrating, ‘AP’) has 148mm penetration, which is quite good for a tier 6 Medium Tank. Your premium ammo, (Armor penetrating, Composite Rigid ‘APCR’) has 190mm penetrating power, which is good as well. Neither round is over or under-powered, which is quite nice when it comes to both a premium tank or even a standard tank. Generally, I run with about 60% AP, and 40% APCR. I do not carry any High Explosive (HE). This works out to about 32 AP, and 28 APCR.

Equipment

Equipment is pretty straight forward. Until you have a highly skilled crew with vision skills, I recommend using Binoculars, Vents, and a Gun laying Drive. Eventually, with a highly skilled I would change the Binocs for Coated Optics. You’re unable to use a Vertical Stabilizer or a Gun Rammer.

Consumables

Like Equipment, consumables can be pretty straight forward as well. I use a small med pack, a small repair pack, and an auto extinguisher. The profitability is just good enough that you could drop the Auto-Ext for Food, and still make 5k to 15k credits profit with a premium account.

Armor

Sometimes, you can pretend that you’re a jedi and block rounds with your gun, or your tracks can absorb some rounds. Other than that? Yeah, you don’t have any armor. Your best armor is excellent positioning without trading hit points.

The Good, the Average, the Bad

The Good:
You’re an Auto-Loader with a 2 second intra-clip reload, dumping 600 damage in 6 seconds
Aim-Time between shells allows for easily dumping your drum (Base 2.3seconds)
Overall Accuracy of the gun allows for sniping in the early game (Base .35 dispersion at 100m)

The Average:
700 Hit Points is lower for a tier 6 Medium Tank, but is keeping in trend with other autoloaders having less HP than other tanks in its tier
16 seconds drum reload time is alright when you’re not being pushed
Mobility is underwhelming

Camo feels very average

The Bad:

Your armor can be overmatched in some locations by essentially any gun you’ll face regardless of Matchmaking
Getting rushed early will render your tank almost useless the remainder of that match, if not dead.
If you’re not careful about exposing the front of your tank, your engine will be constantly knocked out
Hits to the turret will often damage your gun

Playstyle

If you’re a fan of the BatChat 25t or 25t AP, you will love this tank. The key difference, however, is that those tanks have the ability to clip out the entire HP of an enemy tank. Early game, position in a location that your gun is in the fight, but where you’ll have support if you’re rushed. Getting into a 1v1 situation early in the game should be avoided if at all possible, as you will not be able to clip out tanks of equal tier before dying. Preserve your HP, and at the end of the game your tank will become stronger. Generally, most of your damage will come in the last 40% of a battle, while the first 60% of it you’ll spend it supporting other tanks or punishing tanks really out of position

Replays

Verdict

The Strv m/42-57 is a well balanced tank. The fact that it’s a premium in this case is simply a bonus. While the Rudy, T34-85, or Cromwell are the standard bearers for this tier and tank type, this tank is a solid addition to the tech tree. I would rate it a 6.5 out of 10, and worth the gold.

On 10/24/2016 at 11:47 AM, TheMarine0341 said:

(This tank seriously needs a usable nick-name, cause that’s a pain to constantly type out!).

In my clan, it's known as the Shitwagon. Not because it's shit, but because it's more fun that way. And it's also a quick refutation to people who insist on trying to bring them to CW.

8 hours ago, zippy_the_cat said:

In my clan, it's known as the Shitwagon. Not because it's shit, but because it's more fun that way. And it's also a quick refutation to people who insist on trying to bring them to CW.

Yeah the clip play translates well to playing other auto-loaders, but its too slow to fulfill the same CW roll the Bat or TVP would do

Missions that came with the tank are awesome, my female Swedish crew is at 80% of the 4th skill from just 34 battles, and I've still got a good 12 of the X5s to go!

Stack the personal reserves on that (100% normal XP, 300% crew XP), stick accelerated crew training on and I had a game yesterday that netted me 39k crew XP, which meant one crew member got 78k crew XP.

Tank is draining credits a little bit though because I'm getting hefty amount of tier 8s (so APCR use) and I've found that the engine is so brittle that often you can get tracked and engine knocked out at the same time, so I've resorted to using a large repair kit and losing 20k credits a game. 

An engine HP buff would be welcome. 

Vents, GLD and Optics is what I am running. Had a nice game yesterday in tier 8 battle with it -

http://wotreplays.com/site/3090840#highway-tajj7-strv_m_42-57_alt_a_2

Some excellent team mates in that game, when the team does well, like most autoloaders you can farm some nice damage with it.  Currently sitting with just over 1.4k DPG and 67% wins from 34 games.

6 hours ago, tajj7 said:

Missions that came with the tank are awesome, my female Swedish crew is at 80% of the 4th skill from just 34 battles, and I've still got a good 12 of the X5s to go!

Stack the personal reserves on that (100% normal XP, 300% crew XP), stick accelerated crew training on and I had a game yesterday that netted me 39k crew XP, which meant one crew member got 78k crew XP.

Tank is draining credits a little bit though because I'm getting hefty amount of tier 8s (so APCR use) and I've found that the engine is so brittle that often you can get tracked and engine knocked out at the same time, so I've resorted to using a large repair kit and losing 20k credits a game. 

An engine HP buff would be welcome. 

Vents, GLD and Optics is what I am running. Had a nice game yesterday in tier 8 battle with it -

http://wotreplays.com/site/3090840#highway-tajj7-strv_m_42-57_alt_a_2

Some excellent team mates in that game, when the team does well, like most autoloaders you can farm some nice damage with it.  Currently sitting with just over 1.4k DPG and 67% wins from 34 games.

I really wish they included the same missions for US.. but from what they did with the Czech tree release last year they will probably include it with the branch progression.

A lot of people complain about this tank but it is quite OK, I just wish it were either: a bit tougher or faster.  It takes module and crew damage so easily being shot just about anywhere.

On 11/14/2016 at 0:27 PM, kreigermann said:

I really wish they included the same missions for US.. but from what they did with the Czech tree release last year they will probably include it with the branch progression.

A lot of people complain about this tank but it is quite OK, I just wish it were either: a bit tougher or faster.  It takes module and crew damage so easily being shot just about anywhere.

I feel as though its sluggishness it it's saving grace. If I got to battle any faster, I'd be focused too hard. Pretty much the reason why I am terrible in my CDC.

On 10/24/2016 at 11:47 AM, TheMarine0341 said:

(This tank seriously needs a usable nick-name, cause that’s a pain to constantly type out!)

I call mine the Volvo.

This tank is pretty good. I think it has two weakness. The engine hp (getting buffed next patch apparently), and the armor against HE, most notably arty... It gets penned like 8/10 times from direct hits. Even lower tier arty do massive damage.. I guess it could also us a little more HP.. 

Pretty good vehicle overall, but tier 6 is worse than ever these days. Every other game you're facing a river of overbuffed tier 8 heavies. Good to play for the tankrewards missions if you don't have decent Swede tanks in better tiers, but doubt I'll use it much after that until the mythical day WG finally fixes MM.

I really like this tank. I concur with Marine's ammo load out and equipment suggestions. I cba to grind Swede lines, so my ladies from the missions live in the Strv 74, giving me a 3 skills SiS crew to work with. And they're nearly 4 skills already. Using optics and food 418 VR not bad, but acceptable. That should go to 425 once I get situational awareness training. As they're ladies in a small crew configuration, getting recon as a 5th skill isn't unrealistic.

The spike is fast and flexible. 16s downtime is rarely a problem even if you only fire off 2 shots you've done 300 which is meaningful in all your battle tiers. Yes your peers regularly get sub 3s reloads, but the Cromwells pay in gun handling and the Shermans in alpha. I've not played either of the tier 6 Skodas, but eventually plan to try out the tech tree one. 3x110 isn't very big and the pen is low, but it at least gets good handling. I think 4x150 is probably better though, and the top of the dpgwhores data bears it out. Cannot complain about 150/190 pen. It's enough to pen everything but the toughest tier 8 HTs from the front and all of them from the sides and rear.

It's not fast and lacks that sweet sweet Swedish depression, but the chassis and turret are small, albeit tall. It reminds me of a 13 90 that got stretched. But the small chassis and turret makes you hard to hit and decent at using cover and small bushes. Good camo values in the low and mid 20s. As was noted above, its lack of speed does seem to keep it out of troubles. I don't contest space with Cromwells and 34-85 clones, I just set up and ambush them - anyone pens them once and my 600 is enough. It gets to and holds it's top speed without issue, doesn't feel underpowered at all.

So using the Garbad rubric:

Firepower 9/10 in tier. The 34-85M  and Firefly being the 10/10 standard. 

Protection 6/10. Others have more camo, speed or hp (making them more likely to survive 90mm x3 or 122 x2). But it has enough vision, camouflage, acceleration to do work.

This tank is a blast for me, and in my opinion much more fun to play than to play the Cromwell. Instead of going for GLD, I went for a camo net because I'm a filthy camper and I like shooting at enemies 350m away while not being spotted.

Really, this tank is mediocre all around, but because it doesn't really have a potent weakness aside from its HE-vunerable armor, I was able to fill in a multitude of roles from sniping to flanking to "brawling" to passive scouting (lol). It's not a very aggressive tank; I don't create openings in enemy defenses like I would in a Cromwell. Instead, I wait for an opportunity, dump my clip, then flee if I need to. For a rather cautious and passive player like me, it's the perfect tank.

Picked up one of these with the trade in deal going on now on NA, I love it.  First mark within 30 games, which is probably a personal best of mine.

Mobility is enough, view range (especially with food) isn't 445 but at tier 6 it's workable, the chassis is a pretty narrow target.  Getting penned by HE and absolutely wrecked by arty is annoying, that's any lightly armored tank.  The gun handles pretty well, has good penetration, and 600 clip potential in 4 shots/6 secs is really solid.  Lovely practice for autoloaders and pretty fun in its own right.  Just wait for a good opportunity, play it safe, and deal 600dmg to some unsuspecting pubbie every 17 seconds.