Jarkorsis

CA fix is steering gear mod 3

15 posts in this topic

Looks like 5.12 will see a new module upgrade. It is the steering gear mod 3. This will be available for T8+ CA's and it adds 40 percent to rudder shift. This stacks with the mod 2 steering gear for 60 percent rudder shift. You will have to give up your concealment or target acquisition module to use it. This will be a tough choice, but I think I will choose it over concealment. I rather dodge shells and torps and kill DD's, then hide and little earlier.

What will you guys do when/if this become available.

Seems like a buff mainly to cruisers with poor concealment. Dunno if it will shake up the meta that much. Could hurt IJN DDs potentially, but they're getting reworked too in the not too distant future so that pain might be short lived.

Depends.

My Atago will NOT use this thing, I already have the rudder shift mod, and concealment is VERY valuable on a cruiser, especially one that actually is capable of stealth firing/torping. That being said, some high detection cruisers (MOSKOVA) will obviously benefit (not like the fucking russian ships needed more buffs)

Just looking at the Wiki, this module will be used by German and Soviet CA's. US and IJN have 8-10 second rudder shifts, which a lot people think is fine. The Roon has 16 second rudder shift. I would be temped to drop it 6.4 seconds with the new module. The same would go for the Hindenburgh.

The USSR premium MK has 6.5 second rudder shift according to wiki, so stealth for the win. 

I'm not sure I like having stuff in the game that modifies ships that radically. Going from 16 seconds to 6.4 is a HUGE change to both how the ship plays and how it is played against. 

On the other hand, CAs do need help. I'm still on team "heal 4 mid tier cruisers", but top tiers need something too. Maybe this is it. 

I agree with BoilerB, the heal consumable on the Atago is a huge advantage in staying in a match without being solely a 15k sniper.  It shouldn't have as many as a BB, or heal quite as much, but tier 8 and up should have this as an option.

10 hours ago, BoilerBandsman said:

I'm not sure I like having stuff in the game that modifies ships that radically. Going from 16 seconds to 6.4 is a HUGE change to both how the ship plays and how it is played against. 

On the other hand, CAs do need help. I'm still on team "heal 4 mid tier cruisers", but top tiers need something too. Maybe this is it. 

The way I read that is it will take 6.4s off of 16s making it 9.4s. Making them comparable with US and IJN cruisers.

3 hours ago, CompanionCav said:

Will this save hipper and 155 mogami from mediocrity?

I wonder if incoming fire alert will actually be viable with this

Hipper: No it'll still be crap.

155 Mogami: No because the only viable setup requires you to use full concealment.

IFA will still be at best situationally useful and at worst a crutch for bad players. 

14 hours ago, StormCrowReaperManyHats said:

The way I read that is it will take 6.4s off of 16s making it 9.4s. Making them comparable with US and IJN cruisers.

The new mod takes 6.4s off (40%), I was assuming you'd stack that with the pre-existing 20% reduction mod (because why would you not?), taking another 3.2s off and leaving you with a 6.4s shift time. 

I don't think it'll be imbalanced or anything, it just seems kinda awkward and inelegant as a solution. 

On ‎23‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 9:55 PM, BoilerBandsman said:

I don't think it'll be imbalanced or anything, it just seems kinda awkward and inelegant as a solution. 

This fix seems to be aimed specifically at bad players that can't use concealment effectively. If WG would simply give all CAs better rudder shift then good players would benefit in the same way.

But good players that can work with concealment will imho not use the new module as giving up concealment is just too much for this.

What really bugs me is that WG obviously thinks CA/CLs at tier V to VII are fine when indeed they aren't.

Dankskoi and Mockba have pretty stronk evasion abilities with this, baiting BB shots has never been more fun.

The Russian cruisers will probably benefit most from these changes. Hindenburg and Des Moines might get something from them depending on how you want to play them. 

You don't need a tight turning circle to dodge, your ability to change direction matters more. In fact, a wide turning circle can be advantageous against shitty BB players because you drift when you fishtail and mess their aim up. Turning circle mainly matters when you need to dodge torpedoes or make a suicide turn.