Super_Rybak

Mouse sensitivity and FOV

36 posts in this topic

While I have been looking around the forums I have read several times that increasing the FOV help with situational awareness. Also some youtubers I watch suggested lowering your mouse sensitivity.

Which setting do you use / recommend? I have noticed a huge improvement in my performance after decreasing mouse sensitivity for example.

Here are some screenshots of my settings, what do you think?

 

Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-19 um 16.10.43.png

Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-19 um 16.10.22.png

Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-19 um 16.10.08.png

Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-19 um 16.09.28.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mouse settings are nearly half of what yours are, and FOV is 120. The FOV took a bit to get used to, but lower sensitivity has made for MUCH smoother aiming 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

My mouse settings are nearly half of what yours are, and FOV is 120. The FOV took a bit to get used to, but lower sensitivity has made for MUCH smoother aiming 

120 hurts my eyes but 105 is nice. Tried lowering my sensitivity now and I like it. Good training for the wrists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

It hurt, but now Im completely used to it. Anything to improve your sit-aware is best

I don't like the fact that is squashes everything together so much. And that is zooms out. I think I'll stick to 105.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no x16 and x25 zoom because the reticle bloom is too large and leading targets is too difficult

important: sniper sensitivity = arcade sensitivity for a seamless switch when tracking targets

increase fov to the point you are still comfortable watching the game

no server reticle if you have a good connection, because it is too jumpy and you cannot adjust your muscle memory for leading targets

draw distance and terrain quality as high as possible to avoid terrain bugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

My mouse settings are nearly half of what yours are, and FOV is 120. The FOV took a bit to get used to, but lower sensitivity has made for MUCH smoother aiming 

For both Arcade and Sniper?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MeVersusPing said:

no x16 and x25 zoom because the reticle bloom is too large and leading targets is too difficult

important: sniper sensitivity = arcade sensitivity for a seamless switch when tracking targets

increase fov to the point you are still comfortable watching the game

no server reticle if you have a good connection, because it is too jumpy and you cannot adjust your muscle memory for leading targets

draw distance and terrain quality as high as possible to avoid terrain bugs.

I find the 16 and 25 useful for very long range shots, but I'll give it a try without. Toggling sniper with shift or wheel?

What I like about the server reticle is that when I aim at a point and the reticle (turret) hasn't turned there yet I can shoot as soon as the reticle is on target. The normal reticle reaches the point earlier and if you fire you dont hit where you aimed, but a few meters to the side. Also when I happen to have lags I can still hit shots because I see where the server reticle is and when I don't have lags there is no difference to the normal reticle to giving lead works fine. I'm not going back to the regular reticle - too many missed shots because of it.

I'll the to increase draw range and terrain Q but my Mac might not cooperate :doge: 

Thanks for your answer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok tried it out. I need to toggle sniper with shift or I keep scrolling and get confused. I'll leave 16 and 25 on because it doesn't hurt and i don't have to use it. But for shots above 450m it helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Super_Rybak said:

I find the 16 and 25 useful for very long range shots

Someone here already said something like this - if you can't snipe with x8 you don't need to zoom in, you need to move in. Those shots where you need x16 and x25 are already RNG fest even with most accurate guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

Someone here already said something like this - if you can't snipe with x8 you don't need to zoom in, you need to move in. Those shots where you need x16 and x25 are already RNG fest even with most accurate guns.

The thing is... when I shoot at long range i need low sensitivity and when I shoot at short range in sniper view (and want to hit weak spots or tracks) i need higher sensitivity.

As I don't like to shoot in 3rd person my way around it is to zoom in more for long range shots. I could hit them with x8 zoom but with x16 zoom sensitivity is lower.

The situational awareness benefit from being zoomed out more is small as you press shift and zoom out after every shot anyways.

As I said, I'll try to use it less, but turning it off just takes the option away but doesn't help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do 120deg FoV, and sensitivity is set to 20%, 20%, 25%  with about 1000-1200dpi

I only enable server ret for competitive play to make sure I know where I am firing, but in pubs I have it disabled (50 ping) because it is so much more comfortable and less jumpy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

120° FOV is too much for my tiny 22" 16:9 screen, but 105° is great. I wouldn't want to go back to 95°. Lower sensitivity is also nice, I don't even know why they set it so high by default.

This forum has really helped me to fine tune my gameplay so far, thanks a lot :doge: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go with what you are comfortable with. Generally lower sens is better. No point exceeding turret traverse by a significant margin imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fov at 110

mouse sensitivity at roughly 12 inches to 360

(MAKE SURE MOUSE ACCELERATION IS OFF)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

x16 and x25 was created because it removed the foliage and you could see if there was an obstacle between you and your target, then WG changed the way that the leafs get transparent and it kinda became useless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Proper settings for all WoT related things:

Graphics:

Max Draw Range and Terrain Quality as much as you can, Tank Quality is also recommended since more defined tanks are easier to determine where to aim at.

Minimum on Flora Density and Motion Blur, remove grass in sniper mode and that's pretty much it.

FoV should be 120. Better FoV = better indirect awareness without having to watch the minimap.

Change the colour filter to deeper colours for better terrain visuals, I personally think the game just simply looks better but it's easier to see without a lot of input

Other stuff is by choice really, they won't help you necessarily but 

 

After I did this I felt like my mouse sensitivty was high (FOV at 120 meant targets became smaller which meant harder to aim), changed to 800 dpi and really low sense in game (6 "ticks" on everything from 0) and at first it was a bit annoying, but it only took a day until I got used to it and muscle memory already started to kick in. People keep using their wrists to aim which is all kinds of wrong. Use your arm, muscle memory works better on bigger motions and use wrists for fine tuning. This will allow you to aim way way way smoother and faster in the end. In succession to this I'd turn all unnecessary things off. Now if you run lower sensitivity there is absolutely no need for x16 zoom or more, turn it off right away. Consider that the further you zoom in, the more tunnelvisioned you are (literally). 

I personally always keep my sniper mode at x8 and even unbound the scroll wheel from being able to go into sniper mode and just use shift instead. This is just a preference however, but doing so keeps my FoV outside of sniper at max without having to actually scroll back out from x8 (this saves time and thusly awareness improves) so I can just tab out of sniper right away after every shot and see what's happening and back in right away. I know many people actually use the scroll wheel and it's just preference, but the example is more of how this all goes hand in hand with a low mouse sensitivity. 

ABSOLUTELY NO OPTICAL EFFECT IN SNIPER MODE

 

For the gameplay itself:

If you are not absolutely sure you understand map control and vision, turn assault and encounter off. They are great but they require more skill than standard battles and will probably drop your performance.

Make sure your reticle isn't aids. Use circles, aimpoints and/or dots. No crosses or anything of the kind. I recommend the Circle IV (Solid, and at 50%) with Aimpoint I and Aimpoint with the load indicator respectively since the whole thing just works well together and is sooooo soooo smooth. 

Run HP count instead of % please, and tank name at least. Those are the only necessary things in the markers, rest is just preference.

 

This new thing called feedback:

Put the additional info on Alt if you want it all. Just keep the overall damage counters on your screen, do not put unnecessary stuff on your screen for something that won't give you any actual input since the damage dealt/taken/spotted from that very moment already happened and you need to keep on moving.

The event stuff needs to dialed down by A LOT. I only keep base resets, spots, assisted damage and damage dealt on it (this makes the additional info completely useless) because otherwise you have unnecessary things that pop up with no actual info. Crit hit? Yeah, you noticed just before that the shell didn't do damage. Duh. 

 

Run mod free.

 

Voila, you have a decent game setting and everything you need on the input part of the WoT spectrum.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zapyoug said:

fov at 110

mouse sensitivity at roughly 12 inches to 360

(MAKE SURE MOUSE ACCELERATION IS OFF)

HOW DO I DO THAT?

 

5 hours ago, Kolni said:

Proper settings for all WoT related things:

Graphics:

Max Draw Range and Terrain Quality as much as you can, Tank Quality is also recommended since more defined tanks are easier to determine where to aim at.

Minimum on Flora Density and Motion Blur, remove grass in sniper mode and that's pretty much it.

FoV should be 120. Better FoV = better indirect awareness without having to watch the minimap.

Change the colour filter to deeper colours for better terrain visuals, I personally think the game just simply looks better but it's easier to see without a lot of input

Other stuff is by choice really, they won't help you necessarily but 

 

After I did this I felt like my mouse sensitivty was high (FOV at 120 meant targets became smaller which meant harder to aim), changed to 800 dpi and really low sense in game (6 "ticks" on everything from 0) and at first it was a bit annoying, but it only took a day until I got used to it and muscle memory already started to kick in. People keep using their wrists to aim which is all kinds of wrong. Use your arm, muscle memory works better on bigger motions and use wrists for fine tuning. This will allow you to aim way way way smoother and faster in the end. In succession to this I'd turn all unnecessary things off. Now if you run lower sensitivity there is absolutely no need for x16 zoom or more, turn it off right away. Consider that the further you zoom in, the more tunnelvisioned you are (literally). 

I personally always keep my sniper mode at x8 and even unbound the scroll wheel from being able to go into sniper mode and just use shift instead. This is just a preference however, but doing so keeps my FoV outside of sniper at max without having to actually scroll back out from x8 (this saves time and thusly awareness improves) so I can just tab out of sniper right away after every shot and see what's happening and back in right away. I know many people actually use the scroll wheel and it's just preference, but the example is more of how this all goes hand in hand with a low mouse sensitivity. 

ABSOLUTELY NO OPTICAL EFFECT IN SNIPER MODE

 

For the gameplay itself:

If you are not absolutely sure you understand map control and vision, turn assault and encounter off. They are great but they require more skill than standard battles and will probably drop your performance.

Make sure your reticle isn't aids. Use circles, aimpoints and/or dots. No crosses or anything of the kind. I recommend the Circle IV (Solid, and at 50%) with Aimpoint I and Aimpoint with the load indicator respectively since the whole thing just works well together and is sooooo soooo smooth. 

Run HP count instead of % please, and tank name at least. Those are the only necessary things in the markers, rest is just preference.

 

This new thing called feedback:

Put the additional info on Alt if you want it all. Just keep the overall damage counters on your screen, do not put unnecessary stuff on your screen for something that won't give you any actual input since the damage dealt/taken/spotted from that very moment already happened and you need to keep on moving.

The event stuff needs to dialed down by A LOT. I only keep base resets, spots, assisted damage and damage dealt on it (this makes the additional info completely useless) because otherwise you have unnecessary things that pop up with no actual info. Crit hit? Yeah, you noticed just before that the shell didn't do damage. Duh. 

 

Run mod free.

 

Voila, you have a decent game setting and everything you need on the input part of the WoT spectrum.

 

 

- Can't increase draw range and terrain quality any further without sacrificing fps

- I'll keep it on 105 FOV for now but as I get used to it ill increase it, just like sensitivity

- Color filters don't work if you run the game on minimal :cri: 

- I have turned optical effect in sniper mode off, but since the latest patch it doesn't work anymore. It just stays anyways

- I have turned assault off because some maps are frustrating and hard to play

- My reticle looks as follows, but I'm thinking about changing it: http://imgur.com/a/8qs5C

- Thanks for the tip with the feedback I'll reduce it to the most important stuff

- And I do run mod free

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove the cross and change it to a circle instead, it'll be easier to aim straight at where you want to in the end

 

To turn off mouse acceleration go into settings>connected units>mouse and pointers tab>advanced mouse settings>pointer settings>turn off acceleration

or if you got a laser mouse you're screwed :serb: (it's built in)

most gaming mice have some form of software connected to them as well where you can change all the stuff locally there (and adjust different presets for different games, SUPER USEFUL)

 

what's your fps rate? sacrificing doesn't really become an issue unless sub 60 fps

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Kolni said:

what's your fps rate? sacrificing doesn't really become an issue unless sub 60 fps

 

 

i play on 29-45 fps on all minimum ffs:cri:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Super_Rybak said:

HOW DO I DO THAT?

-devices

-mouse

-additional mouse options (should bring up mouse properties tab)

-go to pointer options

-uncheck the "Enhance pointer precision" checkbox below pointer speed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Vindi said:

i play on 29-45 fps on all minimum ffs:cri:

well, it's fine when you get used to it, but dropping in FPS only makes you play worse, not better (since wot isn't clientside (longer time per frame makes some things easier to see/aim but it requires the game to be clientside))

TCAmir777 played at 5k on a 17FPS laptop with a shitty mouse as well, good specs aren't everything but they sure do make your life a bit easier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kolni said:

Remove the cross and change it to a circle instead, it'll be easier to aim straight at where you want to in the end

 

To turn off mouse acceleration go into settings>connected units>mouse and pointers tab>advanced mouse settings>pointer settings>turn off acceleration

or if you got a laser mouse you're screwed :serb: (it's built in)

most gaming mice have some form of software connected to them as well where you can change all the stuff locally there (and adjust different presets for different games, SUPER USEFUL)

 

what's your fps rate? sacrificing doesn't really become an issue unless sub 60 fps

 

 

Ehm... I'm on Mac and as it turns out, there isn't a function like that in the OS settings. The laser mouse I am using has its own software, but there isn't a function like that either. 

I can however assign different presets for different programs so I assigned some funny things like "Help!" (F7) to the buttons on my mouse :doge:

My fps is between around 50, sometimes dropping to 40. Fine with the settings in the screenshot but a bit laggy with higher draw range.

As for the crosshair, I like to use it because it is not green or red, but grey and bit easier to see. Besides the big aim point covers more of the target in the end then the crosshair.

I'll experiment around with some of the other aim points though and I'll reduce the transparency of the reticle to 50.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.