Wewum

T28 Prototype

36 posts in this topic

I recently purchased the T28 Prototype after saving 2.65 million credits and used about 18,000 free xp to get the second gun. I've found that it's painfully slow but has good gun depression and great gun handling. However, in the three games that I've played in it, I've only managed to do 1,000 damage in two of them (and get fire for effect in one). 

I have binoculars, camo net, and gun rammer on this tank.

I've also never played a tank like the Prototype and have no idea how to play this tank. 

The T28 Prot. is one of the worst tanks tier for tier in the game, my only advice to you is to either free exp it or to just do the double/triple every day so you may one day finish the grind without loosing your mind in the process.

As to how to play it, play it like a Superheavy that took an artyshell at the start of the game and lost its engine as a result of it (i.e take the shortest route to the enemy that   isn´t comletly stupid and hope that you don´t meet something that completly shits on your armor)

It's pretty grim. You have to anticipate where you're going to be most needed and plot your course in advance. Your front is fairly reliable and your turret weakspots are small (the turret as a whole can be buttered by high-pen guns though), but your sides are shite so don't over-angle. You're more or less stuck with unimaginative options like 1/2 line on Cliff.

It's basically an uptiered TOG, but a bit less soft frontally.

It has no side armour, so never ever angle your tank, not even a bit.

Trade damage at the start because you won't get anything out of the clean up phase.

Camo and binos is a good setup, try to snipe if possible and don't get flanked.

The tank is pretty terrible to start with but if you insist on playing it. First, I would drop the camo net and binocs. The tank is too slow for you to be stopping. I run optics and GLD in their place. With food and a BIA that will give you 454 m view range which is quite nice. In top tier games you can bully lower tiers though your ability to angle is very limited. I wouldnt angle more than about 15-20 degress and juke forward and backward to try to get them to miss your turret spots. In high tier games  if you can snipe effectively then do that, if not then use your allies as cover and pop in and out trying to maintain a bit more distance than you would in a normal brawl.

Play it like a HT with high DPM. You basically can almost shoot twice for every shot most other tier 8 HT do so use that to your advantage. Your weakspots are smallest too.

On the other hand you only have 1200HP so avoid brawling with goldspammers/ good player.

Don't even think about angling.

Drop binos / camonet!

I played it with Rammer, Optics, Vents... that way you get your reload down to 8,52s (120mm gun) with a 100% crew without food / BiA and have below 2s aiming time.

Pair that with Situational Awareness and you are already at 438m viewrange at all times. Stack BiA and / or food on top of that and you get beyond 445m.

If you are top tier just play it like a really slow heavy and punish is3s with your 248pen / 400alpha gun every 8,5s. If you are low tier stay a bit behind and play support heavy, do NOT snipe, the guns accuracy will let you down. As others said do not angle your tank because then people will just pen your side easily. Try to bait shots by driving back and forwards so they don't shoot your turret face. Generally you will only have the chance of dealing dmg in the beginning of the game because you are too slow to catch dmg in the clean-up phase. So choose where to drive carefully. 

Also remember that you have more depression to the side (-10) than to the front (-6) of the tank.

I grinded both the T30 and the T28 on it and yeah... Most of the time your games will be very mediocre because you are either too slow or arty / rng shits on you hard. Especially in T9 / 10 games where your "armor" doesn't mean shit. So make use of that in the few T8 games you get. You can really dish out some pain in T8 matches, so don't be a chicken and camp the redline until your team is dead, use that amazing gun for T8!

The reason I took binocs/camo is because I anticipated a sniping tank (due to the lack of speed). Getting shot by high-pen guns is awful since I can't angle to make it stronger on top of having little hp.

Honestly, the worst tank I've ever played.

Yeah, the gun is nice when you get to hit things but it sucks the big one because:

- slow as sin, turns like a McFatTard

- flat front armour, shockingly weak side armour, weak turret cheeks (right beside the gun), MG port is a weakpoint as well so lower tiers can shit on you too

- slow turret traverse

- non-fully traversable turret

- Horrifically low HP, you just can't trade against tier 8 heavies, let alone tier 9 and 10s

- terrain resistances are horrible, it is an actual McFatFuck

Compared to the Charioteer, which is much faster, has the same reload for 10 less alpha and APCR as standard, this thing is a turd on tracks. How it didn't get a HP buff like the other slow tier 8 TDs confuses me but its WG so everything they do confuses me.

T30 is bae tho

edit: this tank is here solely to make people spend gold to free xp it

The worst part about the T28 Prot is that it doesn't get horizontal gun stabilization although it has a turret. 

I spent all of the free xp on the gun. smh. I guess I'll just have to grind through it. Furthermore, once I save enough creds, I'll be playing a stock VK 4502A, Centurion Mk. I, and E50. Damn it.

You can grind the VK and the Cent in skirmishes or convert some free xp

Tbh you could play the T28 Prot in skirmishes too but your clan would probably kill you :doge:

When the tank is so bad that your clan would kill you for playing it but you're not even in a clan

On 22.10.2016 at 5:40 PM, Fabunil said:

The T28 Prot. is one of the worst tanks tier for tier in the game, my only advice to you is to either free exp it or to just do the double/triple every day so you may one day finish the grind without loosing your mind in the process.

As to how to play it, play it like a Superheavy that took an artyshell at the start of the game and lost its engine as a result of it (i.e take the shortest route to the enemy that   isn´t comletly stupid and hope that you don´t meet something that completly shits on your armor)

Oh, no, just do not free exp it a single free exp.

T-30 with stock gun is pain in the ass. Unless rich boy, than free exp it to elite T-30.

Playstyle is described very good. Angle the armor round corners - front is rather weak against gold unangled, and 250 standard penetration guns goes through like butter (or noobs that spam gold).

Now, turret is actually your weakest part - turret front and cheeks are very weak - 225 penetration same tier heavies goes every time (but many players do not know that).

Sides are perfect HE target, and easy to overmatch (i think you need 122 mm to do that).

Never angle your armor if no hard cover to hide your side! you gain maybe 10 mm better front while risking sideshots!

On 22.10.2016 at 8:38 PM, Daezara said:

Optics are nice to have, but hard to take advantage of if you are an average player (with slow tank). Also, of limited use with such bad camo and no BIA/food to help get view range to usable level.

rammer+vents+ EGLD, straight in brawl zone.

Again, EGLD helps to limit exposure against better players who know your weakspots. In 2 s IS-3 can nuke your turret like butter, KT in 1 s.

Or they press 2-2 and autoaim :serb:

@Daezara made a great post, but take it with a grain of salt. It takes a lot of strategical thought to pull it off for good, along with better crew than OP probably has.

generally I found that if I stop during first 2 minuted of battle for just a few seconds, battle is over one way or another whatever I do later. Collecting cleanup dmg is impossible in this, and last stand is very short and yields small amount of exp - not even a full turret does that.

I also kinda hated it rather bad gold penetration vs ISU/ german tds.

I do hope you have full repair crew. Now is the time to drop camo from hellcat/T-25/2.

Def worst tank in the game to grind. Awful.

Just do your daily and move on.

I so want the T30 so very much . . . but not enough to suffer through this POS.  It will take over 200K xp in this thing just to get to a stock T30

nope, Nope, NOPE

The T28P is probably the ultimate pub destroyer if you have good anticipation/counter skills. After over a thousand matches in the Super Pershing (pre speed buff) I learned where to go to maximize the amount of enemies you will be encountering while not being completely overwhelmed. The T28Proto is amazing at dishing out damage, the only problem is that it relies on it's team to win, and requires a good knowledge of where enemy tanks will deploy. I know I only accomplished like 2400dpg in it and a 58%~ wr which is attrocious compared to similar tanks of the tier. But the dpg was still quite good for it. I know baby seal clubbing or whatever his name is now had a 2800dpg and over 60% in it. The tank is actually very fun when you are literally stopping a whole enemy push all by yourself with some tanks to cover you.

Now to have a platoon cover you in it is a bad idea however as you will not be able to keep up damage wise, sure you'll get way more wins, but it's not worth the loss in exp by losing a thousand damage every match. 

The only way of playing it is learning enemy deployments based on what tanks they have and what map it is and what tier. You won't get a great winrate, but you will do immense damage to an enemy team almost no matter what if you can anticipate in the first 30 seconds of loading where the enemy will be and where you can dish out damage while not getting penned/flanked. This thing comes in at a time when you can usually just push in aswell and wreck enemy tanks. It's actually good at pushing, I remember I think Servios was his name had a +70~% wr solo in it or something by pushing straight up with it. I prefer damage though, but I still went to similar areas he went to, but farmed instead of winned.

As for equipment/loadout I'd definitely recommend a fair amount of APCR for tierX matches, the thing has strong APCR and AP pen, it goes straight through anything. I ended up side scraping in it a lot, where I'd expose it at auto bounce angles, let the enemy bounce, and then come out to shoot them, or if I know my frontal armor is enough I'd just go head on and beat them up.  The equipment I'd probably go for anything to maximize loading/accuracy, and likely a binocular for the late game when you're trying to outrange enemies. It has enough armor to sit on a cap circle and let an enemy snipe at it from 200M+ and bounce all day. The crew it doesn't matter so much, just standard shit really, I'm not sure if camouflage really helps at all with this tank.

On 10/24/2016 at 1:48 PM, Archaic_One said:

I so want the T30 so very much . . . but not enough to suffer through this POS.  It will take over 200K xp in this thing just to get to a stock T30

nope, Nope, NOPE

T30 isn't all that great to be honest, I really liked both tanks though.

I just don't understand why it cannot at least have the stock engine off of the T29, that would be a huge improvement.  Do you feel like you can trust the front armor?

4 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

I just don't understand why it cannot at least have the stock engine off of the T29, that would be a huge improvement.  Do you feel like you can trust the front armor?

I can trust it against the enemy team when I know their apcr will have trouble against me (sub 265apcr). Although one of the main reasons I used the T28P as effectively as I did was because I used to be super autismal and studied every single map, every single nook and cranny for a few weeks, and watched RUnicums play for weeks before I came back and then I suddenly started raising my stats from shitunicum to godunicum. So I would know which positions would cover all my armor effectively, and where I can push and what cover is good to use along the way in the push.

I mean I also liked the SP's armor aswell because it would become very difficult to hit any weakspot when using a depression/hill/bump to further slim down the turret weakspots. T28P you're not going to be able to use such great tricks, but you can do some dank clutch angling even though it's slow as shit. And if you know the map layout very well you can find areas to make better use of it's armor. It's not good at brawling close range 1v1 against heavies. It's good at pushing into damaged heavies moving into further back positions. It's good at ranged combat too against heavies. It's very hard to describe this tank, but the closest I can get is it's perfect for pushing at the right time, and can stop many enemies very effectively with a little support and come out on top. It has a high fire rate while having fairly high alpha, while being able to bounce many shots, enemy heavies will be punished very heavily for any mistake they make against you in the T28P if you can use it effectively.

Most people know that, the problem with T28P is its speed which basically fucks everything going for it up. The armor is reasonable and predictable, gun is nice and all but the speed and the gigantic flat roof makes every arty drools. Its speed also limits its influence.

I bought it in August with the T8 discount. Didn't really looked at modules until it was in my garage, then i realised you had to start with the 90mm (basically the same one since the T6..) DIDn't play a game ever since... I just... I Just can't bring my mind to it.. There's going to be so much pain in this.. 

7xkRPfo.jpg

qu6blg1.jpg

0TJqHUz.jpg

Literally the third game with the top gun.

I kinda like it tbf.

Yeah the huge speed increase it got would definitely help, I ground it out pre buff and actually didn't mind it, must be fairly comfy now, my buffed T28 got dragged off by a proto quite easily yesterday.

T28 top speed buffed from 18-22 km/h.

T28 proto top speed buffed from 18-28 km/h.

So I bought it for the on-track and have been power grinding it all week.  Post speed buff and post 9.18 arty. I cannot imagine how bad it was before . . . 

A few observations:

You should never be the farthest forward green tank on your minimap unless its clean-up time.  Stay in cover, try to keep between buildings, rocks, wrecks, etc.  As long as enemy is in front of you, you have a chance.  Taking a second to plan your deployment really pays off in this tank.

Your worst enemies are light tanks, your turret traverse is slow and they are fast.  If they get close to you, you are a dead tank.

Your hull is better than your turret, dont go hull down or people will just shoot your turret.  

This is a rare instance where I'll say XVM is helpful - red/orange/yellow players will rack up steel wall medal for you, green/teal/+ players will kill you.  A bad player in an E75 is much safer to fight than a good player in a T29.  Your gimmicky armor only works against idiots - find them.

You have just few enough HP that NATO 105s can three shot you.  

You have a really good gun that shoots through almost all tier 8 heavies with AP.  Your APCR round can deal with Maus or Type 5s frontally if you aim. 

You're going to have a lot of 3K+ damage games where you are literally creeping death.  You are also going to have a lot of 0 damage games where you get spotted early and vaporized because you could not traverse quick enough to get front towards enemy.  This happened to me twice crossing on Mountain Pass, now I just drive it to the bridge.

I hope the T30 is worth it.