bask185

IS what gun do you use.

44 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Balthazars said:

Valid opinion, and a perfectly fine choice.

But for the love of god, unlock it!!!

It gets used on other tanks you have not approached yet, like T-44, better save free exp.

In fact, which gun did you use as a stock gun? D10T can be mounted on a stock tank as a straight upgrade. You free exp turret and 1st 122 mm?

IMHO, 100 mm is a very efficient way to grind the IS. When you unlock the 2nd 122, mount it, but you need almost 50 k exp to get there, compared to 16 k, even more is you count the 2nd suspension (you can mount all on stock one, but it has worse soft stats - 100 mm can handle it easier).

I really play the IS as a medium tank, her armor is quite bad. My A-44 blocks more. So I am really dependent on the extra gun depressions as well as the good accuracy. The IS is today one of my best performing tanks, a real carry machine.

4 hours ago, Felicius said:

Valid opinion, and a perfectly fine choice.

But for the love of god, unlock it!!!

It gets used on other tanks you have not approached yet, like T-44, better save free exp.

In fact, which gun did you use as a stock gun? D10T can be mounted on a stock tank as a straight upgrade. You free exp turret and 1st 122 mm?

IMHO, 100 mm is a very efficient way to grind the IS. When you unlock the 2nd 122, mount it, but you need almost 50 k exp to get there, compared to 16 k, even more is you count the 2nd suspension (you can mount all on stock one, but it has worse soft stats - 100 mm can handle it easier).

I started grinding a bit completely stock then decided to just drop some free-xp to get tracks and turret. The first 122 was already unlocked from the KV-85. Not too expensive in terms of free-xp so I didn't mind (I am quite stingy about use of free-xp as it takes me a long time to accumulate it).

I will unlock all of the guns for the tank and elite it (which is what I usually do) but just wanted to unlock the IS-3 first in case a special pops up that I can grab it on discount.

5 hours ago, nemlengyel said:

So, the new patch will apparently fuck up overmatch mechanics. How will this affect gun choices on the IS (and the KV-85)?

On KV85 is useless because of horrid gun handling, DPM and aim time, on IS is still 1st choice.

Not like you much use overmatch now. 

I rebought this in anticipation of the upcoming gulag heavy changes, and I'm using the 100mm for now.  It's not quite T-10 comfy, but the gun handling is still surprisingly nice.  I'm trying to use my mobility to poke and limit my exposure, and the better aim time and dispersion thus far seem to be more than compensating for the lack of alpha.  And against higher tiers, the better pen on the gold round will help, I'm hoping.  We'll see...but thus far, it's bringing back some fond memories.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:35 PM, Tanager said:

I rebought this in anticipation of the upcoming gulag heavy changes, and I'm using the 100mm for now.  It's not quite T-10 comfy, but the gun handling is still surprisingly nice.  I'm trying to use my mobility to poke and limit my exposure, and the better aim time and dispersion thus far seem to be more than compensating for the lack of alpha.  And against higher tiers, the better pen on the gold round will help, I'm hoping.  We'll see...but thus far, it's bringing back some fond memories.

way to revive a near necro thread, but it is relevant now with the upcoming 9.22 and noticed a tad more players running in either ISs, A-44s, SU-100M1s, or T-43s.

would be interesting if they changed up some of the guns, I'd fantasized the IS getting a rapid-fire higher penetration 85mm similar to the 57mm gun on the KV-1. Just imagine the carnage you could unleash! 

5 hours ago, ThomChen114 said:

way to revive a near necro thread, but it is relevant now with the upcoming 9.22 and noticed a tad more players running in either ISs, A-44s, SU-100M1s, or T-43s.

would be interesting if they changed up some of the guns, I'd fantasized the IS getting a rapid-fire higher penetration 85mm similar to the 57mm gun on the KV-1. Just imagine the carnage you could unleash! 

Well, the necro seemed preferable to starting a new thread and facing a fusillade for starting a new thread and not using search. :)

IMHO threads like this are relevant regardless of upcoming patches.  People have to play through these tanks, why not discuss them?  And for a guy like me, who's clearly better at tier 7 than tier 10, tanks like this are my bread and butter.

I've gone back to the 122.  Running a decent crew with BIA, vents/gld/rammer, spamming apcr liberally and using plenty of HE as well, playing it as a support brawler.  It works pretty well, but it absolutely depends on limiting your exposure - it is probably the best tank in which to learn true peek-a-boom, and while you'll bounce occasionally, the pen creep in tier 8 means bounces will be very, very, very occasional.  Maximizing gunnery skills after repairs seems to be the way to go as well.

When bottom tier (or even sometimes in a tier 8 battle), I roll with mediums and deliver some ugly surprises.  It works pretty well in a wolfpack - I rolled alongside a seemingly like-minded IS in one of my most recent battles, and we simply drove straight through things like type 59s.  I suspect a platoon of these would work well if you coordinated closely.

I'm aiming to bank about 80k XP, I'm at about 60k now, WR hovering at 58-59%.  At top tier it can be flat-out ridonkulous.

2 hours ago, leggasiini said:

Afaik you need only sub 60k XP for the IS-M so there is that

Really?  I was assuming +/- 80k, based on the 77k needed for the IS3 (and the advice QB gave in his vid on the subject).  Would be nice if I could bank the extra XP...

1 minute ago, Tanager said:

Really?  I was assuming +/- 80k, based on the 77k needed for the IS3 (and the advice QB gave in his vid on the subject).  Would be nice if I could bank the extra XP...

Better estimates from ST (I think):
    IS-M (HT-8):      58,000 XP --- 2,550,000 credits
    Object 705 (HT-9):      144,900 XP --- 3,570,000 credits
    Object 705A (HT-10): 162,300 XP --- 6,100,000 credits
    Object 257 (HT-9):      142,700 XP --- 3,560,000 credits
    Object 430 (MT-9):      142,950 XP --- 3,460,000 credits
    Object 430U (MT-10): 287,000 XP --- 6,100,000 credits
    Object 268 V.4 (TD-10): 215,300 XP --- 6,100,000 credits

I had a surprisingly easy time in the IS, ground out 100K XP (just to be sure) without breaking a sweat. What with the +48% bonus and 2x XP events, it was a piece of cake and the tank was fun to play. 390 alpha at tier 7 on a mobile chassis is pretty potent. Trade and bully lower tiers, hide vs higher tiers, poke out, punch them for 390.

25 minutes ago, sr360 said:

I had a surprisingly easy time in the IS, ground out 100K XP (just to be sure) without breaking a sweat. What with the +48% bonus and 2x XP events, it was a piece of cake and the tank was fun to play. 390 alpha at tier 7 on a mobile chassis is pretty potent. Trade and bully lower tiers, hide vs higher tiers, poke out, punch them for 390.

That's about how I've been trying to play it, although doubtless with far less efficacy than you...

1 minute ago, Tanager said:

That's about how I've been trying to play it, although doubtless with far less efficacy than you...

39 minutes ago, Tanager said:

I think the 2nd 122 is before the tank on the research path, while on the IS-3 you need only the 1st one, so that could explain the lower XP cost

kinda like how they did with the amx65t

122mm all the way, 2 shotting tier 6 tanks / t7 TDs + actually hurting higher tiers is far better as the more ``reliable`` dmg the 100mm gives.

Especially against t8 heavys having 390 alpha dmg allows you to atleast outplay them (you can trade shots and often have mobility advantage)

I finally rebought this tank today partially because of the IS-M and partially because of this thread.

I haven't tried the 100mm gun yet because I'm not sure I want to - first game back, using the last 122mm in a tier 8 match

unknown.png

I had maybe 21 hp left or something like that but not bad.  We'll see how it does in a more open map like Prokhorovka or something