SkittlesOfSteeI

How did you get good at this game?

73 posts in this topic

This is something I've always thought about ever since joining. How exactly did you guys get good at this game? Were you born with it? Did you watch YouTube videos and replays? Read guides? So my question is, what steps did you take to improve at this game and what's the most important piece of advice you could give to someone willing to improve?

This post is pretty much this thing, only more inclusive :^)

Played the same tank over and over (2k battles) because I didn't know any better. Learned a lot about the basics of the game which were applicable to other tanks later.

Didn't hurt that I chose the KV-1S as my first tank to be obsessed over.

be shit unicum padder that when wn7 changed to wn8 I lost my ~3000wn7 and it was then a measly 2800wn8 and ~3000dpg, watch straik/lucqueii/other RU gods for 2 weeks, copy things they do, go into maps and look at them and places I can use, then all of a sudden start pulling >4k wn8, and >4k dpg. Map knowledge is all I honestly could learn, everything else I learned just through experience. 

Honestly the whole pubbie gameplay comes down to eliminating enemy tanks, and doing so in the areas that give you the most control/safety. Knowing every angle of attack, and blind-firing gives you a huge edge over someone who sticks to one area for every map every time. I mean I got 2800wn8 from just going to the same places over and over, but I knew it was pretty bad, so I learned some new positions. every position in the entire game.

I always wanted to get good at the games I played but I was prettymuch garbage at everything until I played wot for a while. I was playing off a really shitty old HP labtop for about 10 thousand games which ran at about 5-15 fps and literally 1fps when I went into a bush until the 9.0 patch. So my general gameplay strategy back then was insert face into enemy. Easier said than done during the camo meta though so learning how to survive long enough to spot enemies was the main thing to learn for quite a while.

I got someone elses old asus labtop later down the line just about around the time the camo meta was ending so with my newfound ability to sort of aim at people I learned how to poke ridges and stuff and ended up having a stupidly aggresive playstyle at some point that ended up leaving me with like 58% win rate and 3k wn8 because I died like every single game after going ham so after taking a break I put all emphasis on not actually dying. ie: stop driving forwards. 

And then sorta recently ish after I got a franken computer I somehow started turning into a chai sniper whenever I wasn't on full aggro which didn't really affect my win rate but boosted my dpg quite a bit in the tanks I played but that would likely be the fault of playing almost exclusively abominations for my last few thousand games before I quit.

picture of wot after resurrecting my HP toaster for the memes

P4kgGqe.jpg

58 minutes ago, zapyoug said:

I always wanted to get good at the games I played but I was prettymuch garbage at everything until I played wot for a while. I was playing off a really shitty old HP labtop for about 10 thousand games which ran at about 5-15 fps and literally 1fps when I went into a bush until the 9.0 patch. So my general gameplay strategy back then was insert face into enemy. Easier said than done during the camo meta though so learning how to survive long enough to spot enemies was the main thing to learn for quite a while.

I got someone elses old asus labtop later down the line just about around the time the camo meta was ending so with my newfound ability to sort of aim at people I learned how to poke ridges and stuff and ended up having a stupidly aggresive playstyle at some point that ended up leaving me with like 58% win rate and 3k wn8 because I died like every single game after going ham so after taking a break I put all emphasis on not actually dying. ie: stop driving forwards. 

And then sorta recently ish after I got a franken computer I somehow started turning into a chai sniper whenever I wasn't on full aggro which didn't really affect my win rate but boosted my dpg quite a bit in the tanks I played but that would likely be the fault of playing almost exclusively abominations for my last few thousand games before I quit.

Reveal hidden contents

P4kgGqe.jpg

Gandaran is that you?

3 hours ago, SkittlesOfSteeI said:

... How exactly did you guys get good at this game? ...

I didn't. :fish:

1 hour ago, Daezara said:

Me neither FeelsBadMan

2 hours ago, zapyoug said:

Reveal hidden contents

P4kgGqe.jpg

>9fps

1 hour ago, Daezara said:

Neither am I :doge:

I don't think I quality as good but...

it clearly helps to play actually good tanks in this game, if you want to win more. And by good tanks I mean the tanks that are most comfortable with the current meta.

And shoot a crap load of premium ammo :serb:

Not that I am good but basically at some time it just clicked and Iwas able to deal more damage than my hitpoints regularily at tier X (which imo is the tier that counts).

For me the biggest deal breaker is giving in to my gut reactions as I am WAY too agressive and rush in to early and too recklessy.

So you need to actively and conciuosly think about what to do and whenever I do that I can play at 3-4k WN8 (yeh, I know in the times of 6-8k recency that is still only average). But I loose concentration (it's only a game after a long workday for a 50yo guy after all) too early and make mistakes and then I get angry about making mistakes and then I play WoWS - better for my health.

So, tl;dr:

1. get experienced at the game

2. apply this experience conciuosly each game every game and never relax

Stopped YOLO'ing in Strongholds :doge2:

There are certainly people better than me(plus my wn8 isn't even updated since 0 battles since the change months ago LUL ) but I learned most from my brother who is nearly super unicum by a few points(doesn't play anymore) who didn't give a rats shit about stats, I find it really interesting he just hates stats in general but did so good. I don't really know, later just common sense knocked in by playing tons of games and that was it. There's still tons of room to improve where I'm at but I don't really know when I'll return if ever. Game is great but the amount of bullshit that happens just triggered me way too much.

I did watch QB( our god Kreygasm ) when I was a yellow fgt, he's quite good for new comers if you like it or not. 

This game is interesting. There are basics of positioning and trading tactics and map strats that you can pick up pretty quickly, but the meta keeps changing, and there's always 29 other people playing over which you have no real influence.

I'm not very good, but I got to my 56% WR (which is all I've ever cared about) within 1000 or so games, and have basically stayed there. I was over 60% for about 3 months or so, but then basically quit for almost a year.   I took over my son's account after he got tired of the game a few hundred battles in. I quickly brought it to 56% and stayed there.  I'm a 56%er, I guess  

I'm always grinding. I have tank ADD. I'm always in a different tank. I have no idea if I could do better by focusing on tanks I'm comfortable in, but I suspect so  

I've watched lots of replays, and Zeven's streams  I've 'tooned with some better players but don't think I learned much that way.  Replays have taught me the most.  I feel like I'm a much better player now, but my stats stay the same, so I don't know.  

I think the one thing that matters most is awareness and good responses.  Be aware of disbursement and positioning.  Be aware of the pace of the engagement and where it is developing in your favor and where not.   Be aware of how flanks are fighting.  Be aware of gaps you can exploit.  Be aware of what the tanks in your immediate engagement are doing and who has shot and who hasn't.  Be aware of opportunities to isolate and defeat.  Be aware of enemy health and target priorities.  Be aware of your capacity (health, tank, tactical).

if you can maintain awareness of those things, and respond to them in ways that allow you to deal damage and preserve or wisely spend your health, you'll do well, I think.  That's what I keep working on, at least. 

I derped around in the US line for ~1500 battles or so, got up to the M4 Sherman and the T29 (which I can vividly remember complaining about being nowhere near as good as advertised in all-chat and being yelled at for - yikes).  After playing a bit in the T29, I realized I really didn't understand the game mechanics, so I went back to tier 1 and played that until I could reliably do more than my own HP in damage and always had more kills than deaths.  I then started working back up some other tech trees.

Around ~2500 battles, I found the old rocketbrainsurgeon and Garbad articles on various tanks and tactics, which then led me here.  Did a lot of reading here on the forums.  I'd joined a social clan early on, but didn't really do much with them.  I joined KIMBO (one of the old Mafia clans) around ~4500 battles, and then moved up to JIMBO to do clan wars after I got my first tier 10.  Platooned some with folks better than me, but mostly just kept practicing solo pubbing around tier 7-8.  Spent a long time doing that, progressed from green through teal to blue but still felt like I wasn't doing a good enough job at high tiers.  I did some coaching sessions with Valachio over the course of six months or so, which refined my high-tier gameplay and gave me the confidence I needed that I could consistently play well at those tiers.

About that time, i'd been commander in BIMBO, but was looking to step down and do something different.  A VILIN recruiter messaged me, I did evals, got told "not yet" but got more really good feedback about what to do to improve further.  Kept working on those things, got my invite probably ~1 month later.  Since i've been in, i've continued to work on the same things - careful positioning, good trades, knowing when to reposition.  Being in the company of lots of better players definitely makes this easier.

TL;DR - Solo-pubbing and reading initially, then some coaching, then high tier solo and platooning.

i played low tiers so much that even as a baddie i got a pretty good grip on vision since it was the only way to really outplay someone way back when, once i finally decided to move up tiers i was never below teal in anything and then i started browsing here for info and watched a lot of kewei replays. I went up to T6 and started watching EJs Hellcat and tried to learn the best I could, started platooning with a few better players and picked up some new map spots + how they react and ever since I've been learning on my own

I cant say that i am good (yet?) but i improved after i:

1)came on this site

2) playing lt tanks or not so strong tanks

3)experience and personal growth.

Being the underdog is very important since you are forced to outplay opponents so you must step up your game. So playing LTs and the Mutz have helped me alot.

Experience and also being less aggro at life or at the game itself helps. The good thing about this game is that it has increased my analyzing capabilities under stress which i hope will help me in the future.

Set goals --> do everything you can to accomplish those set goals --> learn how to consistently maintain by trying things --> set the bar higher.

Goals as in being relevant throughout the entirety of the match but having some sort of damage/wr goal to go along with it.

Having the mindset that you're still trash and have lots to learn helps.

I haven't gotten good, probably never will, and will probably plateau at 1600-1700ish

7 hours ago, ZXrage said:

>9fps

>4 more fps than normal 

My improvement has just been gradual, no big jumps anywhere.

There were no guides, streams or videos teaching me how to play when I was new so it's pretty much self-taught.
I still remember my service record used to say "46%" in the beginning. It took me about 5000 battles to reach yellow or "average".

From there on, I just had a desire to get better and kept clicking "battle". I played at green level when I was yellow, blue level at green, purple level at blue etc.
It just keeps going up ever so slightly the more I play. I've never seen a plateau in my performance so I've never worried about it. 

>get to t10 as quickly as possible 

>play a shit ton of top tier matches

>try new things and make mistakes 

>try not to make the same mistake twice

>profit