SkittlesOfSteeI

How did you get good at this game?

73 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2016 at 3:04 PM, MacusFlash said:

Billions of flies can't be wrong so shit is delicious. Really? 

A kid with C grade is the best in the class. Is he good? 

If you're a fly, sure it is. We aren't flies. Completely different measuring stick.

Maybe that kid is good, maybe not. Maybe that class is dismal. How will we know? Compare to all the other classes. If in all the classes in the country, only a handful of kids get a C - and the rest are below - then yeah, that kid is good. The grading system is set too high. To flip things around: if, on the other hand, just a handful of kids get a C, and the rest all get better than C, then the grading system is too lax.

The idea that the vast majority from millions of players are bad is silly.

10 minutes ago, BadLuckCharm said:

If you're a fly, sure it is. We aren't flies. Completely different measuring stick.

It was a metaphore...

11 minutes ago, BadLuckCharm said:

Maybe that kid is good, maybe not. Maybe that class is dismal. How will we know? Compare to all the other classes. If in all the classes in the country, only a handful of kids get a C - and the rest are below - then yeah, that kid is good. The grading system is set too high. To flip things around: if, on the other hand, just a handful of kids get a C, and the rest all get better than C, then the grading system is too lax.

There are some level requirements for each grade. A teacher can't give A to someone who barely makes C and the other way. 

14 minutes ago, BadLuckCharm said:

The idea that the vast majority from millions of players are bad is silly.

No, this is truth. I can't stand watching green players playing because how bad they are in almost every aspect (situational awareness is one of them). Even some blue one make me want to exit replay immediately. Also I think that for real unicums I'm a bad player (especially on X tanks).

Look at randoms when new well armored tank arrives - today is the French HT AMX M4 49. People shot LFP all time when there is an obvious weakspot on the top of the turret. In several replays I've watched yesterday literally ONE player was shooting cupola but his positioning was so bad that he was able to hit AMX a few times and die.  

I started from game release, at a time when the game was basically a discovery process for everyone playing. 

For about 1 Year I played casually while studying at university, platooning in a no name social clan. I was a pretty average player that did not take the game seriously, goofed around, and bought way too many prem tanks. 

It was not until about 15k ish battles in going onto the second year that I got bored and wanted to do clan stuff, competitive things etc. I looked at whatever clan I was near the requirements for, did some evals for them and got in based on an old friend 'Advantage' telling me hey you seem pretty decent so welcome aboard. As soon as I joined my first clan that actually did CW's was when I really started learning how to play the game properly at higher tiers. They also had a cool looking tag [-_-] I also met a lot of cool people like banish, advantage, lefty etc (sorry if I left your name out)

Anyhow I learned all about working with others and the basics to everything during the process of doing a lot of cw battles, platooning, calling, and so on. it was kind of the 'being thrown into the deepend' experience, and that was something I found incredibly fun at the time. Admittedly stressful at times too. Calling battles was a lot of fun back then, a lot different to today. Back then you could experiment and try lots of different things, it took a long while for strats to become 'standardized' if that makes sense.

During that whole process, id say about 10k battles ish I went from average player to decent (blue) and started to get to the point where I was not learning anything (plateau) for a little bit until I met completely randomly a set of players way above my skill level that randomly invited me to platoon after fighting vs them in a pub match (puffmo and eddie). We quickly clicked together in platoon and as a group of friends and played for months together (people like puffmo,eddie,imoody,brutal,smyleerage,jonnytdk,harkonnen). I learned a lot in that period of time from them, and we had good times. Eventually I decided that I wanted more and despite my questionable skill level at the time and a messed up service record after a short while VILIN took me in and took a chance on me, which ill admit my friends played a part. Then I continued to slowly improve to a level that I am today, did a spot of DC'ing for a bit but am very much a retired pleb now.

I was never the most skillful player, and I still am not now. The thing that got me to a level that i'm very much happy with was learning from all of the other people who I have played with who were more skilled than I was, and sticking to what I was stronger with which was working with others as a team.

My story was a long one, it took me quite a while. Through knowledge, experience, teamwork. I never did have that super high skill level, but I improved slowly over time somehow lol.

Anyway thats the end of my random waffle.

The only advice I can think of when it comes to this is : seek out players that are around or a little higher than you in level to learn from, but only a little higher. if the gap is too wide it will be difficult to understand what they are doing. Treat the whole thing like a stepping stone process

@MarcusFlash

Do you believe that a player is either good or bad?

Experiment around back in beta. Already learned everything I could before the game went live. I haven't improved ever since, skill wise. The only major improvement I got since game went live is buying a better computer, so that I can actually load into all maps, and not load in 2 minutes late.

Don't. Once you are at a level like mine, you realize how pointless your goal was in the beginning. The pubs are still shitty, and make you frustrated at the game. I had fun playing to improve, but once I reached my full potential, I lost motivation to play. I set challenges for myself, but eventually found it to be a chore to play at all. I may come back once in a while for nostalgia's sake, but playing this game continuously is taxing on my mental health and my time.

21 hours ago, Cheekyman said:

@MarcusFlash

Do you believe that a player is either good or bad?

I don't believe that the best means a good one.

10 hours ago, Patient0 said:

Don't. Once you are at a level like mine, you realize how pointless your goal was in the beginning. The pubs are still shitty, and make you frustrated at the game. I had fun playing to improve, but once I reached my full potential, I lost motivation to play. I set challenges for myself, but eventually found it to be a chore to play at all. I may come back once in a while for nostalgia's sake, but playing this game continuously is taxing on my mental health and my time.

But what makes you think you have hit your full potential already?

There are so much more possibilities to improve that i can't possibly see myself or anyone ever hitting the proverbial "skill cap".

Improving just that much more is not worth the amount of cancer I have to go through to achieve it. Maybe if the credit system or premium consumables were changed and rebalanced respectively so that I wouldn't go broke playing the game. Grinding credits in strongholds is worse than getting one shot by arty.

Since it will likely be a long term investment, treat yourself like someone trying to manipulate you would do. Try to find things you like to do in the game (as in, truly viscerally enjoy) and then pick the ones out of that list that correlate with winning (without any form of padding).

You will improve from there.

The main problem people have with this game is fast burnout if they are trying to reach an arbitrary goal that they don't really care that much about.

For me personally, my bare minimum for moderate enjoyment of the game is platooning with someone who would be 50-51% WR solo that is laid back and also happens to catch more arty shells than me, and that is OK with being on the opposite side of the map of me most games, and also of course having lots of time and availability so that I can platoon with them much of the time I decide to play.

You would be surprised how hard such seemingly minimal requirements for continued enjoyment are to sustain. (One of the main reasons I quit the game for such vast periods of time).

On 11/15/2016 at 3:32 PM, Communism said:

Since it will likely be a long term investment, treat yourself like someone trying to manipulate you would do. Try to find things you like to do in the game (as in, truly viscerally enjoy) and then pick the ones out of that list that correlate with winning (without any form of padding).

You will improve from there.

The main problem people have with this game is fast burnout if they are trying to reach an arbitrary goal that they don't really care that much about.

For me personally, my bare minimum for moderate enjoyment of the game is platooning with someone who would be 50-51% WR solo that is laid back and also happens to catch more arty shells than me, and that is OK with being on the opposite side of the map of me most games, and also of course having lots of time and availability so that I can platoon with them much of the time I decide to play.

You would be surprised how hard such seemingly minimal requirements for continued enjoyment are to sustain. (One of the main reasons I quit the game for such vast periods of time).

Pffft, So you want an Arty magnet? I like your style, I could do that if I could find the will to play anymore. I just can't seem to find my willpower these days. Maybe getting old or whatever but in the back of my mind it still nags me that I'll never be as good as so and so. Mostly because I don't play enough, going on like 5 years and still less than 10K games :-/ 

I just never improve enough and my anxiety around people (Especially ragey people) makes platooning near impossible for me. 

Major improvements in my career so far:

- learn to shoot premium ammo like crazy, especially with the tanks that heavily rely on it. Full APCR in low tier light tanks? Hell yeah.

- play more stronk tanks.

- stop overcommitting, meaning dont play WoT like a Battlefield game...

1 hour ago, TankkiPoju said:

- learn to shoot premium ammo like crazy, especially with the tanks that heavily rely on it. Full APCR in low tier light tanks? Hell yeah.

That's how I motivate myself to grind lower tier shit. If I'm gonna play some borderline shit tank (Tiger1, AMX1945, O-I etc.) if only to grind past them. I might as well spam gold all the way to get it done ASAP.

Tanks like 50B, E50 & M46 become so much better with goldspam, so why would you not use it? It doesnt make you a better player per se, but rather it just means you're not as limited as those purists who shoot only/mainly regular ammo.

I think it was Dracos from FAME who said that if you have option to shoot APCR instead of AP in your tank, the AP has no use. That's true on most cases. However I still sometimes curse the less normalization the APCR has, like bounce of the front of T-10 from point blank range, head on. Like wtf....

Let me first say I have never had a platoon game and didn't even know you could hit the r key to go forward for 3-4k battles and I am only average player for this forum.

My brother in law was playing Asia server ( I live in Australia). He let me play his account so from the get go I had access to things like the Leo 1 and batchat. Wow was I shit in them. He didn't really care about stats which was lucky because I think I destroyed his. I played about 1k battles at Asia before deciding to make my own account. When I went to make it I had heard there was a NA server so started there instead. I kind of regret it because Asia server has much better server population than NAW. From Australia you have to play NAW :( .

In the beginning the thing that hit me hardest was credits. I never understood the economy of the game because I was playing a mature account that had lots of gold and credits. So if I wanted something or died a lot, I would always have credits to resupply. Thinking back my brother in law was angel to let me fuck up his shit the way I did. Anyway I got my account going,  by about tier 6 or so I started to realise credits didn't just appear. I had to earn it and doing it on free account (I was determined not buy premium)  was getting harder. At this point I discovered a little tank I had never played on that asia account. THE T67!!!!!! (was the t49 at the time) I played the shit out of that tank (900+ battles). Not for stat padding although nearly anyone who looks at my account and sees the t67 games will message me and say I am dirty low tier tier stat padder. I played that tank so much because a) it was fun but b) because it was making me credits. It is amazing how many credits you can make when you take out the whole enemy team and they never spot you to shoot at you. At this stage I never even new about stats but I think I was about greenish blue already in that tank and even to this day the t67 stats are only blue, proper stet pedders are deep purple in that thing. I haven't played in a long time as I ended up buying prem time and prem tanks.

The T67 defined my whole early learning curve. I ended going down the lights and leo lines because I wanted to play that way at high tiers. To this day it makes me a monkey in a heavy tank. As an example look at these stats. Although I have to say my E5 is cursed with the worst teams ever.

sXAvEZT.jpg

Anyway I started lurking around the official forums and I saw mention of this player named Garbad. I searched for him and found the Rocktbrainsurgeon articles. They were awesome. I discovered these forums and lurked here and I learned a lot. 

but the thing that changed my WOT life forever was twitch. When I discovered Barks, Sela, Junkers etc (and even quicky in the early days) my world changed. You can read about micro positioning all you want and think you have an idea but when Barks the mountain goat he was climbs a spot you never thought possible and reks the whole enemy team and does 9k damage you go HOLY SHIT! It was twitch more than anything that helped me get to this point.

On 1/2/2017 at 2:31 PM, SaintLaurentius said:

That's how I motivate myself to grind lower tier shit. If I'm gonna play some borderline shit tank (Tiger1, AMX1945, O-I etc.) if only to grind past them. I might as well spam gold all the way to get it done ASAP.

Tiger 1 is far from shit, it is among 3 best heavies in tier (KV-3 close behind and T 29 as a winner), and is one of the tanks that gets smallest boost from using gold ammo in the whole game. Only 16% more pen on APCR, and AP that is already fast...

Now, Tiger 2 is where you can spam gold and get better results...instantly (and quite a bit worse tank overall).

16 hours ago, Felicius said:

Tiger 1 is far from shit, it is among 3 best heavies in tier (KV-3 close behind and T 29 as a winner), and is one of the tanks that gets smallest boost from using gold ammo in the whole game. Only 16% more pen on APCR, and AP that is already fast...

Now, Tiger 2 is where you can spam gold and get better results...instantly (and quite a bit worse tank overall).

tiger 1 is borderline shit, solely based on the fact that its a tier 7. Worst tier ever. 

15 minutes ago, SaintLaurentius said:

tiger 1 is borderline shit, solely based on the fact that its a tier 7. Worst tier ever. 

saint tell us more insights you have on this game please friend we need to know

4 hours ago, BPX said:

saint tell us more insights you have on this game please friend we need to know

naah m8, maybe you should contribute cos you're so awesome at the game?

On 2016. 11. 13. at 10:44 AM, MacusFlash said:

No, this is truth. I can't stand watching green players playing because how bad they are in almost every aspect (situational awareness is one of them). Even some blue one make me want to exit replay immediately. Also I think that for real unicums I'm a bad player (especially on X tanks).

@MacusFlash is completely right here. Sometimes I rewatch my replays and it's so fucking cringey and cancerous even if it's a good game (like 5k+ with m103). It just makes me consider uninstalling the game to play Barbie with Vale

On 1/7/2017 at 10:19 AM, nemlengyel said:

@MacusFlash is completely right here. Sometimes I rewatch my replays and it's so fucking cringey and cancerous even if it's a good game (like 5k+ with m103). It just makes me consider uninstalling the game to play Barbie with Vale

I had a 6k+ damage first game in my skoda t50 with the autoloader. I was like whooo hooo how awesome was that. Straight away watched the replay and went holy shit you played bad. I just got lucky that the enemy team were bad and distracted so I ended up with a 6K that looks like a carry.

The funny thing about being bad is most bad players don't realize they're bad.  There's no statistical way to measure your skill without mods or visiting sites like wotlabs.  Most players just play the vanilla game and nothing more.

I was bad for 4000 games, and I suspect someone criticized me after a battle, and that was the trigger, but I'm not sure.  Anyway, after visiting the official forum, I realized there was a lot more to this game than I was aware of, and I decided to become a student of it.  If I couldn't play, but I could be in front of a computer, I'd be reading guides non stop.  That was my thing more than youtube or twitch.  I don't have much patience for that for some reason, but when I have, I've mostly watched Zeven, and more recently, ZONED.

Basically, I just never settled for where I was at.  I always wanted to get better.  Today, I feel like I know 90% of what I need to know, but I need to focus on my control and consistency; avoid forgetting what I've learned in the heat of battle.  That's why I'm usually hovering around 2k WN8, and not taking the next jump.  That plus I play a lot of garbage tanks to try and Ace them all or get MoE's.

13 hours ago, moogleslam said:

The funny thing about being bad is most bad players don't realize they're bad.  There's no statistical way to measure your skill without mods or visiting sites like wotlabs.  Most players just play the vanilla game and nothing more.

I was bad for 4000 games, and I suspect someone criticized me after a battle, and that was the trigger, but I'm not sure.  Anyway, after visiting the official forum, I realized there was a lot more to this game than I was aware of, and I decided to become a student of it.  If I couldn't play, but I could be in front of a computer, I'd be reading guides non stop.  That was my thing more than youtube or twitch.  I don't have much patience for that for some reason, but when I have, I've mostly watched Zeven, and more recently, ZONED.

Basically, I just never settled for where I was at.  I always wanted to get better.  Today, I feel like I know 90% of what I need to know, but I need to focus on my control and consistency; avoid forgetting what I've learned in the heat of battle.  That's why I'm usually hovering around 2k WN8, and not taking the next jump.  That plus I play a lot of garbage tanks to try and Ace them all or get MoE's.

When you get messaged (happens often enough) by someone accusing you being a stat-padding whore when you've done more damage than half of your team combined, you know they keep track of stats. Then you point out their 46% WR and they of course shout from the rooftops that they don't play for stats and are in it just for the "fun". Then why accuse someone about their stats to begin with? They keep track of stats and are throwing hissy fits because theirs are not exactly anything to talk about and so to make themselves feel better they will attack others and try to lower them by accusing them of hacking, stat-padding, whatever. There are too many people like this not just in the game but in real life.

When I began playing WoT, I knew I was shit without looking at my stats. It doesn't take a PhD to know this, just takes some self-awareness. However, you'd be surprised just how many people are oblivious and delusional about themselves, their abilities, their thinking. There's just a lack of general decency and humility from these people and too much horseshit pouring out of their mouths. They think they're hot shit, like a crack-head degenerate who thinks he deserves some sort of respect.

11 hours ago, DirtyACE7 said:

When you get messaged (happens often enough) by someone accusing you being a stat-padding whore when you've done more damage than half of your team combined, you know they keep track of stats. Then you point out their 46% WR and they of course shout from the rooftops that they don't play for stats and are in it just for the "fun". Then why accuse someone about their stats to begin with? They keep track of stats and are throwing hissy fits because theirs are not exactly anything to talk about and so to make themselves feel better they will attack others and try to lower them by accusing them of hacking, stat-padding, whatever. There are too many people like this not just in the game but in real life.

When I began playing WoT, I knew I was shit without looking at my stats. It doesn't take a PhD to know this, just takes some self-awareness. However, you'd be surprised just how many people are oblivious and delusional about themselves, their abilities, their thinking. There's just a lack of general decency and humility from these people and too much horseshit pouring out of their mouths. They think they're hot shit, like a crack-head degenerate who thinks he deserves some sort of respect.

I absolutely love getting these messages because 99% of the time, they're from someone who has awful stats, and/or who is saying complete nonsense..... so in the nicest way possible, I make them see the error of their ways :)  I don't think I've ever started any of those types of messages I'm happy to say.  I'll message someone to say something nice, or at most, to politely try and figure out why they did what they did (that usually lost us the game), and then to give them some advice.