TheMarine0341

Ranking the Premium Tanks (Tiers 5 through 8)

245 posts in this topic

I will update this OP as discussions are made and tanks are added/removed from either the tech tree or gift shop. 

Each tier (5 through 8 ) will be broken into 4 groups

Group 1: BUY BUY BUY! If you see this tank, and can get it, do it
Group 2: The Average. These tanks don't stand out, but they also don't fall flat on their face. Worth a buy if you already own something better
Group 3: Can be fun? These tanks don't appeal to everyone, but do have redeeming qualities and meme potential. Only buy if you need a very specific trainer
Group 4: No. No. No (the Family Guy 'Consuela' Group). The ultimate shit-gift group

Notables:
WG is releasing a couple new prems over the holidays. I have no idea what they are or how they play, but I should be getting many of the newer premiums gifted by WG to my account to review
Many of the tier 5 and 6 premiums, I never owned or I owned them when I was a REALLY bad player
Some tanks have only ever been released once, such as Beta Tanks or special events  and are left off for that reason (But, if SerB needs $$$ they will release them again... coughcoughMutant6coughcough
Tier 8 premiums are a special group, and will be broken down further than the other tiers.

Tier 5

Buy!
105 LeFH18B2 (And be sure to never, ever, fucking play it)

The Average
KV-220-2 (Has one of the highest global WR's in WOT, fwiw)
SU-85I
RAM II
Churchill III
Excelsior
Matilda BP
Matilda IV
Pz Hydro

Can be fun?
Pz T25
T14

No. No. No.
Turran
Chi-Nu-Hai
M4 Improved
Pz IIIK

Tier 6

Buy!
Rudy
Type 64
Cromwell B
STRV Alt A.2
T-34-85M

The Average
M4A3E8 Fury
Skoda T 40

Can Be fun?
SU100-Y
Dicker Max
Pz IV Schmalturm
Heavy Tank #6

No. No. No

Tier 7

Buy!
IS2 Berlin
SU-122-44
E25
AMX 13-57 (New Scout MM, and was buffed)

The Average
ISU-122S

VK-45.03
KV-122
Panther/M10

Can Be fun?
T-44-122
M56 Scorpion
Type 62
FV201(A45)
AT15A

No. No. No
Krupp-Styer

Tier 8

Buy!
T26E5
Skorpion
AMX M4 49 Liberte'
M41-90 Blackdog (MM Changes, can be top tier)
252U / Defender
Lowe

The Inbetween (TLDR can see tier 10s and can be painful):
Patton KR
STA-2
M4-Rev
Lorrain 40t
Mutz

The Average
KV-5
WZ-111
M1 Pilot
STRV-S1
T-54 Proto (MAY be getting pref MM)
IS3A
Super Pershing
T-34-3

T-44-100
Panther 8.8
FV4202 (Buffed: top speed to 50kph)

Power Creeped:
FCM 50t
IS6/IS6B

Can Be fun?
8.8 Jagtiger
Type 59-Patton
CDC

No.No.No
ISU-130
T-34 (Gun handling was buffed, still slow as shit)
Kanonenjagpanzer
T-34 Black

5 minutes ago, YesThatWasAPCR said:

Unless you are a shitgifter, then Group 4 becomes BUY BUY BUY!

This is certainly your guide to shit tanks! That also said, I know nothing about tier 5 premiums

I wouldn't put the Church 3 into group 4.  That is one of my 9 Kills tanks.

Church3, KV220 and Ram2 probably all average (Group 2)

IS6 is obvious Buy

I think its closer to this. Formatting just went bleh and i have no idea to fix it.

Tier 5

Buy!

KV-220-2

Churchill III

105 LeFH18B2

The Average

Pz T25

Can be fun?

SU-85I

Excelsior
PZ 3k
Turran
Pz Hydro
Type 3 Chi-Nu Kai

No. No. No.
T-14

RAM II
M4 Improved
Matilda BP

Tier 6

Buy!
Rudy
Type 64
Cromwell B

The Average
M4A3E8 Fury
Skoda T 40

STRV Alt A.2

SU100-Y

Can Be fun?
T-34-85M
Dicker Max
Pz IV Schmalturm
Heavy Tank #6

No. No. No

As tier 5 super pro gamer my assessment would be:

Buy!

105 LeFH18B2. But go fuck yourself if you do.

Average(ish)

KV-220-2, SU-85I, Ram II, Churchill III, Excelsior, Matilda BP, Matilda IV

Can be fun?

Pz Hydro, T-25, T14

No. No. No. No.

Turan, Chi-Nu-Kai, M4 Improved

SPECIAL CATEGORY: This is a fucking reskinned tier 4.

Pz IIIK

1 hour ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

SPECIAL CATEGORY: This is a fucking reskinned tier 4.

Pz IIIK

PZ IIIK second best shigift ever! You're welcome, @zapyoug

The FCM 50t can be fun? On one list with the Panther 88?

It's the best tier 8 premium tank in the game omg.

Also Pz 58 Mutz is a must have, not average.

But yeah the slow heavy tank with no armour and a weak gun is a buy... Why? Because it's red and blue?

1 minute ago, YesThatWasAPCR said:

PZ IIIK second best shigift ever! You're welcome, @zapyoug

I'd put the 3k quite certainly in the "no no no" section

6 minutes ago, Super_Rybak said:

The FCM 50t can be fun? On one list with the Panther 88?

It's the best tier 8 premium tank in the game omg.

Also Pz 58 Mutz is a must have, not average.

But yeah the slow heavy tank with no armour and a weak gun is a buy... Why? Because it's red and blue?

Meta has changed against the FCM, where it was easier to get stand-off. It it had some other redeeming factor, it would be up a tier. Pls see Foch's latest video on it. Mutz is just average, because its still a tier 8 MT with standard MM
I also have no idea which tank you're referring to with the last bit

I think its supposed to be t-44-100, t-44-122 is the moderator reward. Also Panther 88 is misspelled. I have most of the tanks on this list. Technically you can buy the type 59 by paying someone to get it for you during a contest Kappa

Tier 7

Buy!
IS2 Berlin
SU-122-44
E25

The Average

T-44-122
ISU-122S

Can Be fun?
VK-45.03 (gets penned in turret by t6 and t7)
M56 Scorpion
Type 62
FV201(A45)
AT15A (pref mm)

Panther/M10 (pref mm)

No. No. No

Tier 8

Buy!
IS6
T26E5
Skorpion
AMX M4 49

CDC(its amazing for grinding credits and can double up as a scout, and since its high mobile you are often able to win more. also cw/sh viable)

Panzer Mutz (the gun is really good, and its a good alternative to the cdc when u need armor. not really cw viable but good for stronks and pubs)

The Average
KV-5
IS3A
Patton KR
Super Pershing
T-34-3
Panzer Mutz

STA-2

FCM 50t(really underestimating the pref mm with the OP gun it has)

T34 (still wrecks anyone in pubs but not as good as the new prems)

Can Be fun?
WZ-111 (trash compared to 112 now that 112 is OP)
Panther 8.8 (only if you are a good sniper)
8.8 Jagtiger

T-54 Proto(only fun if its in t8 and 9, too slow to do much in tier x imo)

No.No.No
ISU-130
FV4202
Kanonenjagpanzer
Lowe
M4R

7 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Meta has changed against the FCM, where it was easier to get stand-off. It it had some other redeeming factor, it would be up a tier. Pls see Foch's latest video on it. Mutz is just average, because its still a tier 8 MT with standard MM
I also have no idea which tank you're referring to with the last bit

I'm referring to the mighty freedom T26E5.

The FCM 50t is still my favorite tier 8 premium, even above the Skorpion. It combines really good penetration, preferred matchmaking, gun depression, turret armour and mobility.

Every other premium tank is either slow (Löwe, IS-6, KV-5), inaccurate (IS-6, T-34-3), has low pen (T-54 mod.1, T26E4), no armour (Skorpion, CDC) or horrific weak spots (T26E4, 59 Patton)

I have... 500?ish battles in the FCM 50t. Meta has shit on it HARD. No armor to bait shots, gun handling worthy of a broken CH gun.
CDC and Mutz, despite their guns, should remain in the "Average" category. I am certainly higher than most w/ the CDC as I do enjoy playing it from time to time, and the Mutz is what the Inden Panzer wishes it could be. But still, their both tier 8 premiums without pref MM, in an era which favors heavily "no vision." If this were 2014, no question they would be in the "BUY!" group

Just now, Super_Rybak said:

I'm referring to the mighty freedom T26E5.

T26E5 is probably the 2nd best tier 8 premium tank, behind the Skorpion

Just now, TheMarine0341 said:

I have... 500?ish battles in the FCM 50t. Meta has shit on it HARD. No armor to bait shots, gun handling worthy of a broken CH gun.
CDC and Mutz, despite their guns, should remain in the "Average" category. I am certainly higher than most w/ the CDC as I do enjoy playing it from time to time, and the Mutz is what the Inden Panzer wishes it could be. But still, their both tier 8 premiums without pref MM, in an era which favors heavily "no vision." If this were 2014, no question they would be in the "BUY!" group

Let's face it, choosing a premium tank is still down to personal preference. There is no point debating about it.

Imho the FCM just simply doesn't belong into the "can be fun" group, but at least one group higher.

3 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

T26E5 is probably the 2nd best tier 8 premium tank, behind the Skorpion

I'd be curious to know why. To me it looks like a big slow Pershing with a bit more pen.

1 minute ago, Super_Rybak said:

Imho the FCM just simply doesn't belong into the "can be fun" group, but at least one group higher.

Need more. Sure, it has pref MM which helps, and acceptable ammo choices That also said:
No armor
Terrible gun handling
Awkward turret placement for use with side-scraping the tracks
"Meh" DPM made worse by its gun handling
Camo of a MAUS on fire shooting its gun
The buffs to the IS6 and now the 112 recently just made this premium HT even worse, combined w/ meta shift. It used to be my favorite tank, and I encouraged people to get it. Its been shit on hard. I think it would be the "Average" group without the shifts that WG forced. But, its now a tank that will shine only in certain circumstances which is getting further and further apart

Just letting you know the T-14 is listed twice until the tier 5 prems.

With the gold meta now it should be under the can be fun? Section IMO.

I almost don't see the point in the FCM for the reasons Marine mentioned. Also seems like the IS6 and KV5 are becoming less useful without goldspam. RIP pref8s.

11 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Need more. Sure, it has pref MM which helps, and acceptable ammo choices That also said:
No armor
Terrible gun handling
Awkward turret placement for use with side-scraping the tracks
"Meh" DPM made worse by its gun handling
Camo of a MAUS on fire shooting its gun
The buffs to the IS6 and now the 112 recently just made this premium HT even worse, combined w/ meta shift. It used to be my favorite tank, and I encouraged people to get it. Its been shit on hard. I think it would be the "Average" group without the shifts that WG forced. But, its now a tank that will shine only in certain circumstances which is getting further and further apart

- If you played the CDC you know what no armour is. The FCM bounces a lot with its turret and its very hard to pen for everything below tier 6 so at least you won't have a little low tier light tank or arty screw up your game. I mean 120 mm is more frontal armour than the IS-3.
- Gun handling is the same as the CDC due to dispersion values and slower speed in general. Depression and Elevation are outstanding for a tier 8 heavy.
- Well you're not really going to side scrape in the FCM too much, but the tracks can eat some things. The turret position allows for quick poking though.
- DPM is the same as the CDC and much better than the Mutz or the Patton KR.
- Camo is adequate for a heavium.

You may not like it personally but its stats are very good. 
On my main account I own nearly every premium tank that has been released (except the Type 59 #FeelsBadMan). The IS-6 and the FCM 50t are my absolute favorites.

I can't imagine any circumstance in which the FCM wouldn't shine. You can outplay heavies, mediums and TDs is both hull down, ridge and town situations.

On this account I bought the FCM 50t because it makes more money due to lower gold ammo use.
But I admit, I wouldn't recommend it to a new player, because its harder to play than the IS-6 or other premiums. 

3 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Tier 8

Buy!
IS6
T26E5
Skorpion
AMX M4 49

The Average
KV-5
T-54 Proto
IS3A
Patton KR
Super Pershing
T-34-3
Panzer Mutz
CDC
STA-2

Can Be fun?
WZ-111
Panther 8.8
8.8 Jagtiger
FCM 50t

Type 59-Patton

No.No.No
ISU-130
T-34
FV4202
Kanonenjagpanzer
Lowe
M4R

So is is6 recommended buy for credit making.crew training at tier 8??

I am going down the russian heavies because i need an is3 for cws. I am not going down us heavies but probs will eventually.

I am going down german tds.

Not currently going down chinese heavies or french heavies.

17 minutes ago, garryallen said:

So is is6 recommended buy for credit making.crew training at tier 8??

I am going down the russian heavies because i need an is3 for cws. I am not going down us heavies but probs will eventually.

I am going down german tds.

Not currently going down chinese heavies or french heavies.

The IS6 is a good crew trainer due to limited MM but the Churchill III is a simply awesome crew trainer.

Churchill III is useless as a credit maker as you need to spam so much prem ammo, in fact it's not a particularly good tank. But it does have limited MM, and the fact you shoot a machine gun (decent crew re-load 1.9 secs or something nearly as stupid), means huge exp per game for the crew. Get a Churchill III, play daily double and watch you RASHA heavy tank crew roll in perks.