TheMarine0341

Rating the Premium Tanks (Tiers 5 through 8)

276 posts in this topic

Marine, you know I love you, so it pains me to disagree. I think the Type 62 is the best all around tier 7 bar none. It's got to be ranked higher. It's literally the best tier 7 medium that never gets to be top tier.

The Type 62 had it not been nerfed to being worse than a stock WZ131 it'd be fine. @RollerCoaster47 complained about it enough while he was playing it. If it had normal MM, it'd be fine

3 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

The Type 62 had it not been nerfed to being worse than a stock WZ131 it'd be fine. @RollerCoaster47 complained about it enough while he was playing it. If it had normal MM, it'd be fine

I mean, it's not terrible, and it was pretty easy to 3 mark, but when you have great auto loaders like the T71 and M41 Bulldog, I don't see the point of it really. You're exactly right, it's just a stock 131, although if you're into WN8 padding it's great for that.

In my opinion, the Matilda BP is a "No, no, no" tank. With such poor mobility and ineffective armor, it just feels so frustrating to play it sometimes, especially on larger maps with plenty of hills and soft terrain. I have more fun playing in the Matilda IV, and hell, even the Chi-Nu Kai, than I do in that thing. If you're looking for a Brit premium medium in low tiers, you'd be better off with either the Cromwell B, the Sentinel AC 4 E, or maybe even the Sentinel I.

8 hours ago, DerWeasel7 said:

In my opinion, the Matilda BP is a "No, no, no" tank. With such poor mobility and ineffective armor, it just feels so frustrating to play it sometimes, especially on larger maps with plenty of hills and soft terrain. I have more fun playing in the Matilda IV, and hell, even the Chi-Nu Kai, than I do in that thing. If you're looking for a Brit premium medium in low tiers, you'd be better off with either the Cromwell B, the Sentinel AC 4 E, or maybe even the Sentinel I.

Oh yeah... I aced it and never played it again :doge: 

19 hours ago, RunninKurt said:

Marine, you know I love you, so it pains me to disagree. I think the Type 62 is the best all around tier 7 bar none. It's got to be ranked higher. It's literally the best tier 7 medium that never gets to be top tier.

you're gunna have to explain how the worst T7 in the game is actually the best T7 in the game

3 hours ago, Rexxie said:

you're gunna have to explain how the worst T7 in the game is actually the best T7 in the game

Second best shitgift right next to the Warcrime panther

I'm planning to get one of the two new premium heavies which would be the better choice between the T26E5 and M4 49? As far as their capabiilty when facing tier 9s and 10s and credit making ability?

19 hours ago, DirtyACE7 said:

I'm planning to get one of the two new premium heavies which would be the better choice between the T26E5 and M4 49? As far as their capabiilty when facing tier 9s and 10s and credit making ability?

e5 has cheaper shells and has better gun handling so you will miss less. 

Also better gun handling + speed is way more important when facing higher triers than raw armor so I will say e5 hands down

1 hour ago, hazzgar said:

e5 has cheaper shells and has better gun handling so you will miss less. 

Also better gun handling + speed is way more important when facing higher triers than raw armor so I will say e5 hands down

Yup, the 49 doesn't have enough raw armor to be meaningful against T10 but the E5 has speed + gun + workable turret armor that CAN work against T10.

21 hours ago, DirtyACE7 said:

On paper the T26E5 looks like a better choice, because it has better dpm, mobility and accuracy. Also, the T26E5 makes more experience, more money and I also seem do more damage in it then in the M4 49. Yet for some reason the M4 49 is more fun to play for me.

As far as I see I can bring that down to a few reasons:

1. Both the UFP and the LFP do bounce very well (220 effective), whereas the E5's front is just a 50/50 (190 effective)
  2. I like my heavies to have high alpha, because you often just can't make your DPM work
  3. DPM difference is only 100 anyways
  4. It hits better on the move 
  5. Even though it only has 2mm more penetration it penetrates way more reliably because it shoots AP rather then APCR (while there is no shell velocity difference!)
  6. Although it has a weakspot on the turret, the mantlet is actually very strong whereas the E5 sometimes lets shots in that shouldn't penetrate
  7. Turret traverse is much better
  8. It looks way cooler :doge: 

If I had to choose one of them I would choose the AMX M4 49, but I know that many people will disagree with me and that might not be the best choice for you.

20 minutes ago, Super_Rybak said:

On paper the T26E5 looks like a better choice, because it has better dpm, mobility and accuracy. Also, the T26E5 makes more experience, more money and I also seem do more damage in it then in the M4 49. Yet for some reason the M4 49 is more fun to play for me.

1. Both the UFP and the LFP do bounce very well (220 effective), whereas the E5's front is just a 50/50 (190 effective)
  2. I like my heavies to have high alpha, because you often just can't make your DPM work
  5. Even though it only has 2mm more penetration it penetrates way more reliably because it shoots AP rather then APCR (while there is no shell velocity difference!)
  6. Although it has a weakspot on the turret, the mantlet is actually very strong whereas the E5 sometimes lets shots in that shouldn't penetrate

If I had to choose one of them I would choose the AMX M4 49, but I know that many people will disagree with me and that might not be the best choice for you.

I would also buy M4 49, pure for uniqueness (we have to wait 10 zillion billion trillion years before WG gives us second french heavy line afterall.)

I have to disagree on the one point that M4 49 is way cooler looking.  'Murican tanks are sexy!  

But, having played both a little bit now, I like both, and you won't go wrong either way.  M4 49 feels easier to bully in.  The rest of Super_Ryback's list seems spot on to me.

16 hours ago, Super_Rybak said:

Slower access plus a derpy gun mean the effective dpm on the frenchie is lower.  It's a good tank but the alpha is IMHO too low for the gun handling it has.  I know it can't have better because of its armor but it is still a bit annoying 

Do you have one?  In my limited experience with both, the French gun handles pretty well.  I find it to be about as accurate as the baby E5.  As mentioned above, it does seem to hit better on the move  

I don't know its soft stats, and my impression of its accuracy is likely affected by the closer distances to what I'm shooting at in it. I don't snipe in it. I get close to the battle, preferably in a choke point where it's hard to flank me. As top tier I'm in their face. So I don't think it's gun handling is a drawback from what I've seen so far. 

Ok I played a few 7v7 team battles in the T26E5 and I don't know if it's because the enemies fired gold ammo but a lot was going through the turret.

Mantlet, cheeks, doesn't matter. It's basically a lottery.

On 12/5/2016 at 4:26 AM, Stige said:

Yup, the 49 doesn't have enough raw armor to be meaningful against T10 but the E5 has speed + gun + workable turret armor that CAN work against T10.

Actually, the M4 49's armour can surprise you even against Tier 10s. Once hulldown, you are basically impenetrable unless they're a TD or firing full gold. It's the only Tier 8 other than the IS-3 where I've been able to hold off Tier 10s with armour alone. It's such a nice feeling,being relevant even as bottom tier, that you can anchor a flank and still deal damage. That you're not just a completely useless support tank a la Tiger II.

True. You can and will probably play much more aggressively when bullying Tier 8s, but the point is that your armour will still give T10s a hard time as long as you don't over commit.Said armour also makes it that much easier to deal damage because you can actually afford to aim which is not something you can say of most other Tier 8s.

While it's not the most interesting tank to play, I can tell you that it is very, very, very satisfying on account of just how much raw power it was. High pen, a wall of frontal armour, plenty of gun dep to use and abuse.

The armour alone is strong enough as to easily qualify as Tier 9 stuff. But where it's different from all the mobile fortresses of that tier, i,e, 112, T28s, KV-4, buffe Lowe is that it doesn't trade anything to get that armour. It's got a great gun: pretty bad at snapshotting yes but deals reliable damage and has excellent pen. While the DPM is low you don't really feel it because the RoF is good enough to permatrack some reds without repair crews. The mobility is above average: the High HP/T and top speed lets you flex around more than you might expect.

I suppose if I were to be succinct about it, what really redeems the M4 49, despite its terrible side armour and glaring weakspot and general M103/E5 esque playstyle, is that I rarely feel useless in this tank. It's surprisingly well rounded, yet its strengths are enough that they shine through in every situation. I played more games in this tank in half a week than I have the T-44-100 in half a year. If you have the dough. As far as pixel tanks go, this one is worth it.

@lavawing Any T9/T10 premium shell will go through the 49 with autoaim or anywhere on it really, doesn't matter where you hit it, thus rendering the armor useless. The armor only works against bad players at T8 or lower.

13 minutes ago, Stige said:

@lavawing Any T9/T10 premium shell will go through the 49 with autoaim or anywhere on it really, doesn't matter where you hit it, thus rendering the armor useless. The armor only works against bad players at T8 or lower.

Yeah and the T26E5 armour never works...

47 minutes ago, Stige said:

Not everyone spams gold at a T8 heavy. That you need load gold to reliably pen as a Tier 10 goes to show how effective the armour really is. 

Also, even if everyone slung gold like on the testserver, it's certainly not useless when there are so many bad players failing their way up WoT. Good armour against retards is good enough most of the time. And you'll find that it isn't even that bad against ......not so bad players.

37 minutes ago, Stige said:

He is just a bad player, he can only understand raw numbers which is my he thinks 49 is a better tank when it clearly isn't.

These two tanks have drastically different roles so I'm not sure what's the point of comparing their armour. Though yes, in terms of effectiveness they're about the same, i.e.  top notch.

56 minutes ago, Stige said:

He is just a bad player, he can only understand raw numbers which is my he thinks 49 is a better tank when it clearly isn't.

Well I happen to own both and I'm speaking from experience. Those are pretty big words for someone who has 1800 DPG in the T26E5 though :doge: