SynapticSqueeze

Redshire from North spawn in mediums - what do?

Question

This particular map with this particular spawn has turned into an issue for me. I struggle to play that in anything medium. Inevitably it ends up being super passive, because I don't see any good solid plays that don't carry a ton of risk. Going castle often means getting shot to shit by their back hill crew because there's no good concealment. Going fully into the castle means relying on team to not get swamped, and that usually ends predictably for me. Playing around the hills to engage their hill means exposure to both back line TDs and opposing team playing castle and hiding in the shrubbery over there. I just end up waffling around until it's too late. I'm probably better off just going over to the grinder in the East and hope to swing that, while being ready to flex back. That flank often gets bogged down though. Help?

5 answers to this question

I'm not a purple poaster, but I'll give my 2 cents. There's a couple ways to play the north as a medium, but I prefer playing the middle hills, around E3. There's some bushes/trees that give me early spots on people going to the castle, and if you have good gun depression/position right, you can get free damage as they try to cross. From the middle, you have to be careful not to get shot from the east side. Just keep an eye on where you are relative to their tanks, so you know if you're exposing your tank or if you have shots on theirs. When you play the middle, don't poke too much or you'll get shot by camping td's further down the middle hills or in the back past the river. Also, hug the hill in front of you and keep moving so you don't get clicked. One very important thing to note is that if you feel they are about to push on you while you're in that little valley, get out. It's very hard to counter a push from the other team if you don't have a couple people with you. Aside from that, to me it seems the main goal of playing the middle is to win it quickly so you can come around to the east flank to mop up, or prepare for their heavies that will be heading into your base.

This is just a general overview, remember every game is different so you may have to improvise. As the game goes on, different areas of the map get locked down/open up, just be aware of whats going on.

Here's a random game showing how I play mid, in it you can clearly see how I can get early shots on people crossing to castle, how I get shot in the side when I don't pay attention to the minimap and overexpose, and how easy it is to get cleanup damage when you control mid.

http://wotreplays.com/site/3092597?secret=7d55570ceed9dbb63a59d112324b71d0

that may depend on what medium tank you use tho

i'm going to exclude autoloader MTs like the BC-25t, since I don't have one but also it may not apply to that kind of tank (in most cases)

for medium tanks the center hill and castle are important places to control. remember to never pop up the same spot on a ridge, since it only takes a patient TD to predict when you pop out again to drill a hole in your tank, or an SPG to drop one on you. never pop out to the top of a ridge to shoot, you might as well fire a flare in the sky. work the sides of the hills. go along the side of the hills, and be aware of what directions you may be exposed to when doing so
when you spawn north, try to make your way to the north side of the E3/E4 hill, and work that ridge. your goal is to wrestle control of that center hill. if you have allies at the castle lane, you can use that area (especially if you made it to the south side of E3/E4 hill) to assist them. if the castle lane is empty of allies, it can be dangerous to go there in return. 
the east face of the hill area is usually safer as you can expect ally TDs at C4/C5 to shoot at anything you light up, the only danger are TDs and HTs at around F9, as well as getting spotted by their LTs. don't hang around in the open in that case

there's two ways to go in the castle lane. lane 1 is a battle of attrition, switching between shooting any enemies on the other side of the castle, and shooting enemy tanks at the center west that may threaten your allies there (and consequently yourself if the center falls). the canal at lane 2 would provide a breakthrough, but keep in mind you'll be isolated from allies  if you don't make it to the other end of the canal. the dry canal should only be used to exploit a breakthrough (allies are pushing center E3/E4 hill and will be in position to help you from there), but can be easily blocked by an armored TD/HT. only push castle if your team has won, or is on the verge of winning, the center hill area

playing a medium tank in Redshire, especially at the center, is all about situational awareness. firefights are rarely isolated and won solo

On ASIA server, i usually push the fight into the hills. You know how there are 2 dips and a hill between them near the centre? I try to take that position where there's a bit of a bush to the side of the castle to shoot the things going to the castle and work from there. Not sure what its like in NA though. Afterwards i usually push on to the campers on the end of the hill/move to the castle/fall back to defend if the other flank dies.

Getting countered is possible, so cycling back behind the castle is a potential position or you can just stay on the slope a bit behind. 

If any of that is transferable onto NA, feel free to try it out. 

I will say, no disrespect to those who have answered, that their responses are very situational. The reason is that your approach to every match on Redshire North spawn will differ.

Redshire is one of the hardest maps to play while solopub because it's very reliant on map control and crossfire. All three of the lines, 12, mid ridge and 90 contribute something to the battle and are related in a very complex way.

In order to win, you need control of either 9-0 line or 1-2 line.

I normally start by driving onto the mid ridge, not because it's a good position, but because it's a versatile position from where I can relocate depending on your team.

If your team takes 9-0 line, it means that it

-Denies the enemy team the ridge C8

-Provides you with some snipers who will inevitably camp at the E9 F9 area

-Your team has probably lost the 1-2 line, rendering anywhere on the western side of the ridge vulnerable to crossfire and firmly enemy territory

This gives you control of the whole of the eastern side of the ridge, which means you can relocate yourself anywhere along the eastern side of the ridge to poke your enemies. 

From here, you are safe from crossfire and you can work the ridge to wither them down slowly. You can relocate back to C8 if necessary or push through the dips in the middle, or even back around C5 if necessary. Just be wary of TDs camping in the J-K lines if you poke around at G5.

If your team takes 1-2 line it generally means that 

-Your team has lost 9-0 line and thus the enemies have controlled the ridge at C8

-Provides you with crossfire and the opportunity to clear the ridge from the western side

From here, you can clear the western side of the map, go for isolated TDs in the J-K line and use the ridge to fight against the enemies who have control of the eastern side of the map. If all the enemies have relocated to C8 and none are left at 9-0, you can take K7 and snipe the enemies at E5 and the rest of the eastern side of the ridge. That is very dangerous though, but will be a game winning play if performed correctly.

If your team takes neither 1-2 line or 9-0 line and all camp the ridge

You're kinda screwed, but your best bet is to try win the 1-2 line since you can isolate engagements there and the enemies are likely to be mediums. It's also closer to the campers who can relocate more easily if they come to their senses. You will probably lose, but you can actually farm damage in the 1-2 line better than you can staying on the mid ridge with the campers since it's at the edge of the map and not vulnerable to being instantly rekt by crossfire.

A few miscellaneous points

-If you're in situation 1 where you could control the 9-0, but so many of your team are heavies that you can't rely on the ridge to survive long enough for the heavies to clear the East, or if they have an aggressive platoon of three unicum mediums, then you're better off helping your heavies clear 9-0 line faster since heavies often stalemate or get held back by a single JPE-100 since nobody wants to take the shot.

-If you play the ditches at the start on the western side like previous answers gave suggested without ensuring your team controls 1-2, you're vulnerable to crossfire and you might get shot in the flank.

-If you take 1-2 line and the western side of the ridge then deny enemy fast mediums from dashing into A1 at all costs.

-I'm on mobile so I have no replays but I'll try to find some later.

Thought I'd try for a thread resurrection instead of starting a new one:

North spawn is a real problem for me in an MTs as well, particularly in Encounter battles. HTs still go 0 line. Couple of chai snipers will set up at A1 and C7-B8. But most of the team camps around C4. I've tried begging in chat before the battle and clicking the map to set up at E1 and E3 to no avail. Campers gotta camp.

I always go to E3 to spot and get a few shots off at tanks crossing to the castle. But as I rarely get support from E1, the position doesn't stay viable for long. Is this just a problem on the SEA server? How are the competent amongst you dealing with this? Is it as Deliberate says above: "you're kinda screwed" in this scenario, so try to farm some damage before dying and move on to the next match?