Super_Rybak

Today's ban wave

61 posts in this topic

The memes on the NA and the salt contents have been high and glorious. 

I'm curious how they are catching people.  I have a hard time believing only 252 people in NA are still running AA+

@Archaic_One

well...does anyone else thinks it is more than coincidence that they now include an "updater/launcher" program? It came out recently... just before they announced that they were "detecting illegal mods". I have no proof.. but it would seem to fit the bill for something that could check your files for something like a known illegal mod.

As I posted on a different thread I contacted WG support a few weeks ago and their answer was the following:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-17 um 18.00.32.png

So I do not know how they're detecting the mods, but they seem to have some sort of an automated system.

39 minutes ago, kreigermann said:

@Archaic_One

well...does anyone else thinks it is more than coincidence that they now include an "updater/launcher" program? It came out recently... just before they announced that they were "detecting illegal mods". I have no proof.. but it would seem to fit the bill for something that could check your files for something like a known illegal mod.

I dont see how they could legaly do this, unless they sneaked in an update to the ToS.

For example, for CSGO, the ESEA client has it in their ToS that when you install the ESEA client you give them permission to access areas of your computer to catch cheaters and perform scans for cheats.

It could have been the "Top Tankers" mod

I didn't read the new agreement that popped up very carefully, from what littleI know of mod detection (admittedly not much) wouldn't this be the most direct and easy way to accomplish this? Maybe it is implied it is part of the "task" of the launcher to maintain the game?

Correlation does not equal causation, but I kinda figured that's what it was for.

1 hour ago, Super_Rybak said:

As I posted on a different thread I contacted WG support a few weeks ago and their answer was the following:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-17 um 18.00.32.png

So I do not know how they're detecting the mods, but they seem to have some sort of an automated system.

So, if a pubbie thinks Im cheating, he needs to send the replay of that battle where Im "cheating" to WG to check it, correct? If thats so, WG employees will finally learn how to play their own game by watching all those unicums "cheat" and who knows, maybe even improve the game.

I feel like I read a comment somewhere that the Top Tanker event was somehow connected to this ban wave. Does anybody have any information on that or is it completely unsubstantiated?

edit: now I remembered, it was that the top tanker mod (link below) was some kind of honeypot to catch people. I wonder how plausible that is versus other scenarios put forth in this thread, but with WG you really never know what they are thinking.

http://worldoftanks.eu/en/content/soft/top-tankers-mod/

edit2: WG developer confirms this is not the case

A6mpSEC.png

Edited by Whole_Nutmeg

The amount is waaaay too little.
Also, no one in FAME was banned? Failed banwave tbqh smh famalams.

:kappa:

I think the mods nuked the long thread discussing the bans.  Too bad. The amount of salt in that thread was impressive. 

I went and checked through like 8 of the top clans on the NA server, And found one person banned. But i would have no way of knowing if it was a mod ban or a TK ban. So its fairly obvious that "all the top clans cheat" is just as stupid a statement as we all knew it was.

Of course, people who pointed that fact out to the pubbies were immediately informed that obviously WG just wanted to keep the dirty cheating top clan players in order to continue letting them cheat, and only banned lower stat players on purpose.

We've gone beyond tinfoil hat here, we're in full tinfoil body suits now. And they're handing them out for free to anyone who will listen.

From information I read on TAP this initial ban only focused on aimbot users. Obviously they have the ability to somehow detect aimbots server side.

Other illegal mods will be targeted in the coming weeks and months I assume. 

Anton “Evilly” Pankov said that:

1. This is just the beginning and a friendly reminder for all using them – greetings to aimbot users! There will not be a second chance.

I'm not convinced they aren't scanning mod folders.

I took a quick look to see if I could find it in the TOS (I couldn't), but I'm sure that at one point I read in the TOS that WG retains the right to scan any files on your computer which interact with the game. If that's true, they just need to install a feature into the client which scans the files which interact with the game and generates a hash out of them and logs it. Then, when they want to target a specific mod, they find and example of the mod file and turn it into a hash. Then they check their "hash log" to see who's used a mod which lines up with that hash recently.

Logging hashes wouldn't be that resource intensive. And this lets them target specific mods at a time, but also do back-date checks when they discover a new mod.

This system isn't foolproof, and it's still a bit of a cat and mouse game. But lots of games do it that way.

Luckily, I found that out of the God knows how many sub CABRA clans, 4 players were banned! That means 4 less sub 100 wn8 "recruito foro myo Clano BRBRBR" players :tanfiesta:

13 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

I'm curious how they are catching people.  I have a hard time believing only 252 people in NA are still running AA+

13 hours ago, Super_Rybak said:

4 hours ago, Baldwon said:

I'm not convinced they aren't scanning mod folders.

Quoted you all and minimised/removed some of the text to save this post from taking up too much room.

Wargaming uses 'WatchGuard' after a mini-patch (I think it was the one near the beginning of November). It's a customised version (by WG) from what I can see and it will run (once) every time you launch the game and check mods loaded - as they cannot be loaded mid-game (well not unless someone finds a sneaky way around it). It looks primitive and uses a 'library' to detect known illegal mods.

Funnily enough there is already a workaround to prevent watchguard from working but it's not a great one and will require updating every time the game does any kind of update - thus the cat and mouse game between WG and cheaters will continue. (Baldwon was pretty much on the mark)

As for the recent bans it's not known whether it's from the list that P0liroid supplied (if you didn't know ALL his mods have a connection to his own personal/private database where he collects your user ID. Said database was supposedly supplied to Wargaming if you believe the talk on the Russian forums) or whether WatchGuard caught anything.

Something about particular 'Tundra' mods are supposedly being detected by the anti-cheat.

I'm happy that WG are at least tackling the main problem of available 'cheats'. It may not be a lot at the moment but it's a start and I for one will be interested to see what the knock on effect will be to illegal mod developers... hoping it dissuades them from making these mods.  

5 hours ago, bolagnaise said:

From information I read on TAP this initial ban only focused on aimbot users. Obviously they have the ability to somehow detect aimbots server side.

Other illegal mods will be targeted in the coming weeks and months I assume. 

Detecting aimbots should be possible without reading your files, because aimbots actually alter the aiming itself. I'm sure it's possible to distinguish their patterns from human aiming.

But how do they want to track other mods without scanning your files?

Pretty much every mod that's on a cheat site with the letter 4 in got targeted 

2 minutes ago, It's_Matra said:

Pretty much every mod that's on a cheat site with the letter 4 in got targeted 

???

33 minutes ago, Super_Rybak said:

???

I'm not going to list the cheat site but the URL has a 4 in it.

All the aimbots and tundra mods hosted on said site were targeted in the ban

Will I get banned for using ISIS Allahu akbar crew voice mod?

Maybe its just me (or my limited knowledge of cheat mods) but I dont mind people using "cheats". Those mods cant really help a good player play any better  but it can certanly helps a 500wn8 player be more competetive (imo). By removing these mods, they are "nerfing" 500 wn8 players who play/behave like NPC's (mobs). Making the game in any way harder/ less enjoyable will either scare them off the game or encourage them to play SPG's

Well, you could say they basically work as crutches for physical incapable people.
Without it, they can't walk, but even with them, they'll move at a snails pace.

But it just removes the "natural development" of getting gud.

Could ask anyone with a statsite to check the active players for it, since it's visible in the API.

It's in my userscript, but then you'd have to check every clan manually.