leggasiini

Is KV-5 still worth getting (assuming it pops up from advent calendar)?

kv-5   38 members have voted

1. 1. KEI-VII FAIV WORT ET?

• YES
    • NO

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 posts in this topic

Topic.

I mean, ive been waiting for it like half a year. Now its very likely coming on Advent Calendar, so would it be worth picking up (considering the tank itself costs only ~28 euros, although its likely part of shitty bundle)?

Few things to note:

- i dont want it purely for credit farming (im ready to use severe amount of APCR), i want it for keks. Although i would like to have pref MM tier 8 prem, because tier 8 prems getting to tier 10 can be quite annoying so i feel like i can spam more games with something that has pref mm

- i need RU HT trainer, and this seems (in theory) by far best option (churchill is boring imo, is-6 is expensive and has aids gun (fuck d-25t), IS-2 is no too (its just...an IS so boring (i didnt enjoy IS that much and again fuck D-25T), IS-3A is gimped IS-3 with better rof (and still has D-25T with apcr as regular and heat as gold, so still fuck that gun)). 

- this is possibly a rare chance to get it and next one wont happen in months

- it might get buffed/reworked in future (wg has hinted for this recently)

- i want it for fun value and im almost certain this thing has it

Main reason why i am asking this is that would it do still well with all the new premiums that has lol armor (liberte can be dealt with cupola tho). It doesnt need to be "great", though, all it matters is that if its fun. O-Ho is honestly not a good tank either yet i have 2k battles with it and i feel like i would keep playing that thing endlessly more, so :P 

Bought it last year in christmas time, no regrets. 

Best "i don't give a fuck anymore" tank hands down. Just yolo down a hill and ram an IS-3 for half his health while tearing other guys up with a 7s reload. :awyeah:

If you like superheavies, are kind of a masochist, like to ram other tanks and bully lower tier tanks (i guess you qualify for that with 2k battles in the O-Ho :doge: ) it's a worthy investment imo.

The KV5 was one of my favorite tanks ever, period and helped me become a dark purple yolo machine

But getting one would involve offering wargaming money:eww:

28 minutes ago, Daezara said:

If you like superheavies, are kind of a masochist, like to ram other tanks and bully lower tier tanks (i guess you qualify for that with 2k battles in the O-Ho :doge: ) it's a worthy investment imo.

- "if you like superheavies" - check

- "are kind of a masochist" - check

- "like to ram other tanks" - check

- "bully lower tier tanks" - check

:doge:

If you're going to spend money on anything, the KV-5 is a great option, yes! Great performer, good fun. Doesn't usually make oodles of credits, but you can't have everything, right?

Not joking when I say the KV-5's 107 is one of my favorite guns on any T8 HT. Absolutely adore it.

1 hour ago, zapyoug said:

But getting one would involve offering wargaming money:eww:

Not problem tho, although it depends on if it is bundled or you can buy it without (pz3k is bundled on calendar today but you can buy it without bundle, as example). Without bundle its like ~28 euros which means i could afford it even if i bought Liberte two weeks ago.

Don't play it to make credits, load full APCR and have fun.

KV-5 is a classic. Still waiting for WG to make it HD tho :-/

22 minutes ago, PityFool said:

Don't play it to make credits, load full APCR and have fun.

Fun value is main reason why i want it, not credit making. Although getting nice 20k-30k profit each game wouldnt be bad so i might not go full APCR but likely something like 20/35/5 because how much ammo it has

23 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

It is HD already, actually.

-------------------

Thx guys, looks like i will go and buy KV-5 when it comes :P (IF its possible to get it without bundle).

Just now, leggasiini said:

WHAT? Since when?

1 minute ago, OOPMan said:

WHAT? Since when?

Same patch as IS-6 went HD, aka 9.14. Its armor got buffed, too.

Yeah it's in HD already. I personally don't have the tank but from what I've heard It's a really nice tank, even better if u don't mind shooting expensive ammo. 

43 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

It's already in HD :serb:

I NEED TO FUCKING READ NEXT TIME

21 minutes ago, leggasiini said:

Fun value is main reason why i want it, not credit making. Although getting nice 20k-30k profit each game wouldnt be bad so i might not go full APCR but likely something like 20/35/5 because how much ammo it has

You actually still make credits even when shooting full apcr, as long as you pen most of them and aren't running food.

Bought it last year during Advent Calendar, money well wasted. What a useless garbage tank. Needs too much APCR to do anything so it doesn't even make credits, you can make just as much playing normal tanks.
And it's not even a good tank really. I would take the IS-6 over KV-5 any day and time, it actually has usable armor unlike the KV-5 and similiar shit gun that needs to spam APCR.

32 minutes ago, leggasiini said:

If you suddenly gain the ability to not be shit whilst in the presence of our glorious yet overweight tank overlords, you can actually run a 20k ish profit with full apcr & food

28 minutes ago, Stige said:

Bought it last year during Advent Calendar, money well wasted. What a useless garbage tank. Needs too much APCR to do anything so it doesn't even make credits, you can make just as much playing normal tanks.
And it's not even a good tank really. I would take the IS-6 over KV-5 any day and time, it actually has usable armor unlike the KV-5 and similiar shit gun that needs to spam APCR.

If you don't spam APCR your earnings compared to an IS-6 will skyrocket. The shells are cheap and the damage/cred modfiers are pretty gud on this tank. The only problem is, it's much harder to pen stuff these days after all the armour buffs to everything.

True story: on one old map whose name I forget (the one with bridges and that long rail yard) I had TWO tanks drive off the bridge on top of my KV-5 to kill it and just wound up killing themselves. 

Keks like that are priceless. It's a no fucks to give tank if there ever was one. 

You mean port? I once had a game on that map where I drove my KV-5 across the bridge on the west end of the map and plunged off the edge onto a hull down T-32. Instant 1500 dmg, and I survived too.

Yeah, I think Port.  Lots of bridge shenanigans on that map!  

Buy it for the occasion where a light tank drives into you at full speed.

I managed 890 Ramming damage on an E-50 with mine, was glorious... Eat Russian Steel, German ramming machine!

I picked up the KV-5 with similar logic to yours on Black Friday 2013--it would be a heavily armored yet fun tank to play with plenty of meme potential. I played most of my 270 battles in it in 2013/2014 so I decided to take it out for a spin of 5 games to check if my recommendation to not buy is still accurate. And true to that, after five games I think you should not buy this tank.

-It's mobility is poor

-The armor is meh

-The gun has good dpm, but the pen and gun handling will frustrate you (even with apcr)

It's just not flexible enough and the armor doesn't work--if you commit to a flank and run up against tier 9 heavies, there's not much you can do but brawl against them at a severe disadvantage because of your low pen and middling gun handling stats. In the time since I've bought it, the M103, Conq, T-10, and VKB have all gotten good buffs. The Type 4 was released. Every one of these tanks will chew the KV-5 up, not to mention the heavies that didn't need buffs (ST-I, E75, WZ11111114). In the worst game I had out of the 5 (4 of which were good), I somehow bounced 7 fully aimed apcr shots against an M103 while reverse side scraping at ~75 meters. Now people reading this might think "Nutmeg, stop being a shitter and don't y0l0 into T9s. Every T8 has trouble against the tanks you mentioned; position yourself better." That's valid, but the KV-5 is an inherently limiting tank. You have to commit to an area where your big, flat armor is protected from TDs and arty, and sometimes you make that choice before your team reveals all the information about the enemy's positioning.

Nowadays, games are shorter and flanks collapse faster, but you don't have the flexibility to react. Your dpm and armor can get you out of some situations, but more often than not it just leads to a glorious last stand (the KV-5 is very good at glorious last stands). Everyone shoots gold with reckless abandon. Your turret is basically one giant weak spot to tier 8 and 9 tanks. I think the first shot of damage I took in my first game was a Liberte penning straight through my gun mantlet.

If I could go back, I would have purchased the IS-6. It's a better gun platform, it's faster, it can bully lower tiers nearly as well as the KV-5, although the KV-5s dpm does let it outshine the IS-6 here. I find the KV-5 to be too map and team dependent--clicking battle is like rolling the dice (as it can be with any superheavy tank). The IS-6 is more consistent and will probably lead to less frustration. I play this game to have fun, and the KV-5 delivers fun, but it also delivers frustration. You will cannot avoid feeling like a helpless Russian turd that some delirious, starved and drunk soviet engineer shat out onto a napkin while a gun was pointed at his head. When I take out pref 8s, 65% of the time it's my Spersh, 30% it's my FCM, and <5% is my KV-5. If I had an IS-6 it would be more like 40% spersh 30% IS-6 25% FCM 5% KV-5.

The last point though:  if I were to spend money on this game today--which I won't--I see no reason to not buy one of the three beautifully OP tanks--the patriot, the liberte, or the skorpion. They don't have pref MM, but they are just ridiculous tanks, and I can't see why you would spend money on mediocrity when you could get powercreep. I find the Church III to be sufficient as a crew trainer for soviet heavies.

All that said, I still had fun in my five games. I blocked 1.5k-2k damage in every one and did over 2k damage in 4/5. It can be an extremely fun tank to play, and it's great in a platoon where your friends can cover you while you crush the enemy beneath your poorly designed, brutal soviet steel. For someone like you who likes to play horrible box tanks, it might not be a bad purchase. It's your money. I wanted to give you a good counterpoint against all the praise it's gotten in this thread and explain the tank's weaknesses because of my own buyer's remorse.

Nice post Nutmeg, thx.

I personally love boxy super HTs so thats why im considering, its only super heavy prem after all :P 

Yea tier 9 HTs are a problem, but generally i guess at tier 9 battles with lots of heavies i just try to avoid fighting them, and go up with mediums instead. Yea, its sluggish but fast (atleast most of time) enough to not be left too much behind, but atleast you can fairly easily pen stuff.

I dont care if the tank isnt "great", all matters that if its fun, and KV-5, from what ive seen and heard from most places, should be like that.