MEGUSTAPOW

Quirky Tanks

42 posts in this topic

I'm curious what tanks people like to play that are a little bit out of the mainstream. Personally I really enjoyed the Vk 45.02 A and the Lorr 40 t. The Vk has just enough armor to bounce most if not all tier 7's if you angled well and has pretty nice mobility and a decent gun. I found it to be way more enjoyable than the Tiger II because all the extra upper plate armor is irrelevant when you have 130-ish LFP. I really don't understand all the hate that the Lorr 40 t always seemed to get. It had good gun depression, power to weight, a really sick gun with a workable reload, and good view range. The only real argument against it was that it was big and didn't have fantastic traverse speed but I really don't think that's enough to discount everything that this tank had going for it.

So what about you guys?

In my brief tanks career I liked the alecto TD. little, mobile, decent camo'ed mf'er plus the pewpewpew 6lb'er 180 lol pen APCR for the T6s you face.

This and the T67 helped with me learning camo/vision

I'm playing this game for 5 years and there are two things that are bugging me

1. I still don't know the names of all maps 
  2. I don't have a favorite tank

Of the tanks that I played I always liked the mainstream tanks the most.

MT-25 is underrated but a lot of fun.

I agree on the VK4502A. It's fast-ish and the armor is enough to troll people. Everyone thinks it is cheese so they underestimate the armor and are easy baited into shooting the angled LFP. I really liked it.

I also rather liked post nerf comet. People hate on it because trier7 med and QB but if I can pull 59% wr with a shit crew and rather decent wn8 with a stock grind it must be rather ok.

hgunXmA.jpg

HDRRRRRRRR

I did actually really enjoy this tank on the rare occasions that the gun decided to function 

The nashorn was really enjoyable imo. It maybe inflexible and hard to carry in but derping around and auto penning things was really enjoyable. 

T-43 
T25/2 (it has a turret, and became comparatively better after the Challenger was introduced)
Crusier II - 3.7" derp (the good old days of lobbing HE shells across Province, like playing golf!)

Alecto is a little pewpew tiger.  I loved the SU-85b as well.  Probably my most played tank because I loved it so much when I was new to the game. The little Toaster (T5 German TD) was also a hoot.  That traverse.  I'm beginning to see a pattern here.  

When I want to relax, I load gold and drive the Valentine II straight at the enemy.  

I also have a warm spot for the T25/2.  Sort of a medium, sort of a TD.  

I miss the hilarious swarming power of the T-50-2.  Wish I could do that again.

1 hour ago, Griphos said:

Alecto is a little pewpew tiger.  I loved the SU-85b as well.  Probably my most played tank because I loved it so much when I was new to the game. The little Toaster (T5 German TD) was also a hoot.  That traverse.  I'm beginning to see a pattern here.  

When I want to relax, I load gold and drive the Valentine II straight at the enemy.  

I also have a warm spot for the T25/2.  Sort of a medium, sort of a TD.  

I played them when they had 390 viewrange back in the TD meta. The SU-85b was basically god back then.

I think the STA-2 is the best tier 8 medium in its current form, with the 45 kph top speed, so I don't get why people hate on it so much.

But a truly quirky tank that I enjoy is the M4 Revalorise, in its current state.

25 minutes ago, Deliberate said:

I think the STA-2 is the best tier 8 medium in its current form, with the 45 kph top speed, so I don't get why people hate on it so much.

But a truly quirky tank that I enjoy is the M4 Revalorise, in its current state.

I'm pretty sure that the general consensus on the sta-2 is that it's a really good tank.

1 hour ago, SkittlesOfSteeI said:

I'm pretty sure that the general consensus on the sta-2 is that it's a really good tank.

Hmm, maybe I'm just wrong. 

It most certainly is a hipster tank though, I guess the bad reputation it had upon release made it unpopular even with the buffs that pushed it from the bottom to the top.

Non-mainstream tanks you say?

For me:
AT-7: You hold LMB or hold W with some A and D in between, and win games after games with minimal effort
T25AT: a very comfy TD, where SU-122-44 gets brute firepower and armor you get depression, more speed and APCR that actually pens nice
Tortoise: dank DPM
 JPE100: 420 pen skillrounds, 1k damage each, memes incoming

I'm not sure if the VK3601 qualifies as a hipster tank. To be honest sometimes it just feels like a shitter tank. That said, I love the Konisch and the ability to snapshot everything is awesome.

1 hour ago, Nekommando said:

Non-mainstream tanks you say?

For me:
AT-7: You hold LMB or hold W with some A and D in between, and win games after games with minimal effort
T25AT: a very comfy TD, where SU-122-44 gets brute firepower and armor you get depression, more speed and APCR that actually pens nice
Tortoise: dank DPM
 JPE100: 420 pen skillrounds, 1k damage each, memes incoming

Your list speaks more of masochistic than hipster.

Like @zapyoug said, Type 5 Heavy can be indeed hilarous as long as there isnt arties and when u dont have to fight other heavily armored HTs (fuck dat gold pen).

As for stuff that is not mentioned yet, ISU, box tenk and KV-2 are all tons of fun

And ofc last but definely not least:

DC5mauV.jpg

my goal is to get another 2k battles played with it during next year :doge: :doge: :doge: 

...assuming i havent quit the game then

AT2 hasn't been mentioned yet. When top tier on an open map, hit RRR, and become the world's slowest active scout.

T28 Prot. - great gun and workable armor were enough to offset the terrible mobility. Easy to see why so many people dislike it but with a bit of luck and a lot of patience it can be quite formidable. Enjoyable even. It works because it's a T8 thus the inability to flex isn't really a dealbreaker imo as long as you deploy mindfully.

T34 - just so straightforward and profitable to play. Turret's amazing and the tracks always bait shots with no chance of penning. As long as you take your time aiming is really hard to fail to do damage. I can see why top players generally dislike it but nowhere near as bad as some of them make it out to be, particularly if you've got a good crew and use rations.

50 120 - don't know what I did wrong with this one (maybe to few games in it) but it just felt really, really powerful for a T9. I didn't mind its limitations because I consider them warranted. Just yoloing in for 2 clips worth of damage was more than enough for decent w/r, so much so I wonder why some deem it downright torturous. Unlike the admittedly superior T54E1 I appreciated the fact that I never had to use premium to make it work. 

There's lots of good tanks I didn't really like much and meh tanks I thoroughly enjoyed, but I guess these 3 stand out the most.

T23e3- don't play it much but it's very entertaining to play with that reverse speed, and good DPM.

T-34-3- I enjoy it.

WZ-120- one of my favs regardless of the gun depression

T49:kappa:

Crusader- occasional guilty pleasure.

On 12/7/2016 at 4:43 PM, Deliberate said:

Hmm, maybe I'm just wrong. 

It most certainly is a hipster tank though, I guess the bad reputation it had upon release made it unpopular even with the buffs that pushed it from the bottom to the top.

If it wasn't a good tank WG won't buff its engine and top speed in 9.17:serb:

@lavawing Can't say that T25AT or AT7 is masochistic in any way, one is the most comfy Tier7 TD and the other is hilariously easy to play and stupid to look at.

I must also add here that I found the Panther II to be a great tank. The aim time is long, but the dispersion is so low that you're basically aimed most of the time. You end up aiming for the same amount of time anyway, because your aim circle shrinks slowly from a small circle to start with, compared to other tanks which have aim circles that shrink quickly but starting off huge (Grille 15 pls). This means aimed shots on the Panther II take the same amount of time, but snapshots on the Panther II are great (it also has slow turret traverse which helps stabilise the gun).

It has almost American view range, workable mobility, a small turret with reasonable gun depression, great DPM and plenty of HP to trade with (not a guaranteed 3 shot for 490 alpha guns). When fully aimed, the gun is accurate and responsive with good shell velocity. I don't get why it's so hated.

The gun handling means it's a much better tank for taking peekaboo opportunistic shots when your team forces you to play on the city area of a map, and in those situations outperforms paper mediums like 416 or CDC while at range, it can hull down its minuscule turret and rock backwards and forwards without losing accuracy while other tanks struggle to hit you. This tank on east flank on Steppes is amazing.

That's why I'll probably buy the Panther 8.8 next patch since the engine buff combined with its already almost-Soviet terrain resistance is going to keep it at 46 kph while the Panther II ranges anywhere from 30 to 55.