Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Griphos

New and Improved Lowe

54 posts in this topic

So, with the sale on all premium tanks, I'm finding myself very tempted by this one.  I never thought I'd say that.  But I've been watching replays, and it just seems tough as nails now if you know how to play it (proper angling and wiggling and side-scraping).  The gun is still quite accurate, punches well, and now has enough depression to be usable in most situations.  

I'm pretty tempted.  What do those of you who own it and have played it since the buffs think?  Worth it?  One of the better premiums now?  Viable at T9-10?

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, being tempted to have a Lowe of my own. If this whole idea of being able to sell your mediums for gold ever comes to fruition, then I must do that and then buy the Lowe with the gold. It does look like a very solid heavy now.

TFW you come back from like a 2 month hiatus, see Lowe got buffed, play a game in it... Arty proceeds to knock out half hp in the first 3 minutes with a ded ammorack and engine. :feelsbad: 

The gun is good, but it still feels really slow.  The side armor is decent, but frontally it can't bounce a thing :(

In case you haven't watched it yet, check out the #1 löwe guide there is:

core concepts should still be the same except it should be marginally better at all of those

3 minutes ago, How_Terrible said:

What did they buff on the Lowe?

Engine power increased from 800 h.p. to 1000 h.p.

Gun depression angle increased from -8° to -10°.

Increased LGP, UGP and turret armor.

Side armor at the bottom increased to 100 mm.

Thanks.  I was just pasting that in myself.  From the replays I've watched, it bounces a hell of a lot now.  Looking at the 3D model on tanks.gg, the UFP angled well is very tough.  Fighting corners with the front angled about 45 degrees and the inside sprocket covered and you will bounce.  Sidescraping it seems impervious to even T10 pen.  Top hatch is still a weak spot, but it's not that large.  

I've watched a couple dozen replays with it, and even at T10 it's pretty damned tough.

3 hours ago, zapyoug said:

I had a lowe camo snipe my M60 at 300 meters today

:feelsbad:

It was pretty amusing to watch. He then got killed by a 34-2 and an indien panzer.

It was a great tank before the buff - just a little too slow to be effective in 60% of situations/maps. They have fixed that now though I have not played since the speed buff.. I'm having too much fun in the mega buffed M4A1 Rev

Its so good now that its my most wanted T8 prem right now, partly because i desperately need German HT trainer anyway because i need moar crews

Bunch of wannabees!!

But yes, the lowe is good, and my guide is still sort of up-todate,, the playstyle dodnt change much (its still a crossover between KV4, T34 and KT, having their strenghts (sidescape, hull down and accuracy) and their weaknesses (slow, no dpm and ded when flanked)

So.......if I buy two holiday OPS bundles at 20 bucks each, it looks like I will get enough gold to purchase the Lowe at the current discount. Is 40 bucks a decent price for the new and improved Lowe, or are it's improvements just good enough for those who had already thrown money at it in the past? I have a 4 skill crew for it if that  makes a difference.

1 hour ago, Mamas_Calvin said:

So.......if I buy two holiday OPS bundles at 20 bucks each, it looks like I will get enough gold to purchase the Lowe at the current discount. Is 40 bucks a decent price for the new and improved Lowe, or are it's improvements just good enough for those who had already thrown money at it in the past? I have a 4 skill crew for it if that  makes a difference.

It depends imo on 2 things:

• Do you like typical (tier 8 ) heavy tank gameplay (not IS3 / E5, but heavy)?
  • Did you play T34 / KT / KV4, and how you liked hated them? If you didnt mind the slowness of KV4 / KT, but hated the poor turret, liked T34, but hate the ghetto gun handling then Lowe will be worth the money.

ps: lowe also makes a ton of credits, if you are always short of credits then thats also an argument to play the lowe (it earns far more as any spmm tier 8 prem (never played the fcm and i guess thats the only contender, but i doubt it makes more (looking at wot-replays))

I did buy my share of tier VIII prem tanks (T34, P8.8, Mutz, Skorpion) but then I hop into one of those and promptly get into a tier X battle and wish I played my Bat Chat, T-62A or M48.

I don't really get now why informed people can pay 40 bucks for a tank that basically sucks in 2/3rds of all games (Skorpion being a bit of an exception here).

But maybe I am too jaded about this and maybe I platooned too much (3 man tier VIII platoon sees tier X in like 8 out of 10 matches).

Well, at least part of the reason, for me, is that I can't hop into my Bat-Chat, T-62A or M48, 'cause I don't have any of those. With only two T10 tanks, and a number of T9 tanks unlocked but that I can't afford, having a variety of T8 prems for making credits and training crews is worth some money.  I love my Spersh, but I don't want to play it non-stop. Having a T8 prem that is tough enough for T10 battles is worth some money, and it seems that the new and improved Lowe might be particularly good at that role now. 

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger. 

bought the revolver today, with 200mm pen, incredible shell velocity and great gun handling, everything can pen you so the playstyle doesn't change much top or bottom tier

really like it so far and would buy again

Main changes the buff did is to make the lowe feel like a proper heavy tank, with acceptable mobility and functional armor; instead of a superheavy with the armor of a medium.

Buffed Lowe is now mobile enough to make it to the fight in time. It has sufficient armor to not be auto penned in the hull when the map does not allow hull down. It has sufficient armor to not get penned left and right in the lfp by scouts.

Lowe still remains extremely vulnerable to arty, more so than other t8 heavies due to the armor layout; but the protection level against actual tanks is now better than a king tiger. The armor still works against tier 10 credit ammo; and hull down still works against tier 10 gold.

Another thing lowe has going for it is that you can shoot nothing but apcr and still make more credits than low multiplier tanks like mutz shooting (and penning) credit ammo. Personally, I find liberal apcr usage on lowe did not lower credit making that much; while making the tank far more capable of winning or taking on higher tiers.

Personally; I believe the lowe buff is in the wrong direction. Simply returning pref mm (so that it doesn't get shitted on by tier 10 arty) would've been a sufficiently effective buff to make it a unique tank with a somewhat unique playstyle. Instead, what wg did is simply create a premium that is pretty overpowered when top tier, and still get shitted on hard by arty when bottom tier.

4 hours ago, volim_velike_sise said:

bought the revolver today, with 200mm pen, incredible shell velocity and great gun handling, everything can pen you so the playstyle doesn't change much top or bottom tier

really like it so far and would buy again

Today? On the 23rd? Because you couldn't wait another 24h to buy it for 15% less because... ?

bought it before the announcement was released, in game for gold, and to be honest i don't really care for a pack of smokes value gold so i don't feel bad about it:)

My first ever premium, bought the day it came out back in the day, sold it about 2 years ago, didn't play it anymore. Might put a ticket in and buy it back, is that too far ago sold do you think? Never bought a premium back, I read before every account gets 1

I don't think you can get it back now since they automated the recovery process.  Since it's still for sale, there is a time limit for buying it back.  

Fuck that, I wouldn't be giving them real cash for it

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0