Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Griphos

New and Improved Lowe

50 posts in this topic

So what's the general consensus on this thing? Has anyone done any serious playing with it? I'm tempted to buy and have plenty of gold to spare but don't just want to throw it at something and later regret it.

I have played 19 games so far, running 68% WR in solo pubs (yes, I know the sample size is way too small, but I'm happy, so let me be).  I am quite happy with the tank - excellent pen, solid sidescraper, mobility is on the poor side but not unbearably so.  I never played it before the armor buff, so I cannot remotely comment on improvements there, but as someone utterly new to the tank, I find it quite playable and even enjoyable.

I'm running rammer/vents/vstab, have a crew working on their first skill (retrained from a spare med crew).  It's not an ace, but I was pretty proud of this...is carry the right term?  Not really, because a lot of this was their side misplaying it, a lot of it was luck, and I had plenty of help, too.  Anyhow, tier 10 battle, Fjords, East spawn, only a solitary TVP VTU bothers going through the Northern pass, seeing that I back him up.  He gets driven back nearly immediately by a push, I ducked into a gap in the rocks at D0 and setup to sidescrape against anyone coming over the lip of the hill.  VTU comes back with hostiles hard on his heels, and I am fat dumb and happy as I and a pair of TDs mow them down.  Took not a single point of damage.  Other side wins the J line brawl, T10 and E100 poking around in the middle.  I load sprem and hunker down by a rock at F8.  The other side's VTU is still alive, and I expect him to try and flank through the pass, so I go back to my spot at D0 and wait, hoping I can at least take care of him (I have a Grille 15 and an arty alive with me at this point, they have the two heavies, the VTU, and an Obj 261).

The other side doesn't stick to the script and just sends their E100 straight into our base along the coast road.  He's focused solely on the Grille, so I put three shots into him, the Grille finishes him.  Their VTU has crept up as well, the Grille nails him, too.  I'm feeling right perky at this point (we lost our arty somewhere in there), right up until the Obj. 261 nails our Grille.  Now I'm up against the T10 and the Obj 261, and since the T10 was shooting me in the ass while I as taking on the E100, I know he's behind me on the hill.  I check hp, see that he's basically a one-shot, I just hope against hope and start climbing around those cabins at the corner.  He backs up, Obj 261 hits me.  I bounce one off of T10's turret and back into cover where arty can't hit me...then arty has the idea to yolo me.  Obj 261 comes charging down hill, fires and misses, and he's decided to RAM me...good night Obj. 261.  But I'm a one-shot, just like T10...except that I can hide behind arty.  he comes charging down hill as well, and I snap one into his hull.  Game over.

Okay, like I said, a lot of this was pure luck, and they *should* have beaten me senseless in the endgame, but hell, a win is a win...maybe it's about not making mistakes as much as it is being actually good.  But I guess my point is, in the hands of a decent player, the tank can hang in almost any match it's going to see.

8FW2pLs.jpgjLBEO6M.jpg

On 12/24/2016 at 6:14 PM, DirtyACE7 said:

So what's the general consensus on this thing? Has anyone done any serious playing with it? I'm tempted to buy and have plenty of gold to spare but don't just want to throw it at something and later regret it.

It is pretty similar to the King Tiger for the most part. Slightly better gold pen, side armor, final accuracy, gun depression; slightly worse LFP, DPM, (practical) aim time; similar mobility. Significantly better turret armor than a KT, but significantly worse arty vulnerability due to shape and armor layout. Overall, it is essentially a slightly modified KT that prints credits. (Or if you spam APCR, then you have KT income; but much higher penetration.)

I wonder, is löwe turret actually better than t34 now? t34 gets overmatched or penned by td gold, whereas löwe has magic stalinium mantlet and a cupola that can't be hit. Both turrets are autopen when you turn them an inch anyways

On 1/5/2017 at 5:14 AM, Hally said:

It is pretty similar to the King Tiger for the most part. Slightly better gold pen, side armor, final accuracy, gun depression; slightly worse LFP, DPM, (practical) aim time; similar mobility. Significantly better turret armor than a KT, but significantly worse arty vulnerability due to shape and armor layout. Overall, it is essentially a slightly modified KT that prints credits. (Or if you spam APCR, then you have KT income; but much higher penetration.)

Nope. KT got its final acc buffed from 0.34 to 0.31, so now it is way better than Löwe with 0.33.

I have only played a few games in it post buff but these are my first games in it...

Holy crap this is such a big improvement, may be one of my favorite tier 8 tanks for pubs now, just because its so reliable..

d3f318dbef014e54a0a3988df7df1f54.png

528f4ef74f674bb9afd2edb8ccbc0c87.png

29f195e8672347fba4b4958eb618e60b.png

So I gave up and finally bought it. The mighty Löwe and holy shit man, what a beast. Only one thing that kinda bothering me is the DPM. If they would raise it on pair with like the AMX M4 mle. 49. There would be nothing to complain about. 

LÖWE BOIS

armor buff is real, and that sweet sweet 400 VR with optics... i was spotting for our TDs who helped farm the retards who pushed valley and entered base

EzhzNI9.jpg

On 1/13/2017 at 6:43 PM, nemlengyel said:

LÖWE BOIS

armor buff is real, and that sweet sweet 400 VR with optics...

I've got 409 with vents, no optics.  Considering switching to optics, though.

On 2017. 01. 24. at 8:38 PM, Tanager said:

I've got 409 with vents, no optics.  Considering switching to optics, though.

yeah it has 400 base so 440 with optics

I've personally played the lowe more than any tank I've ever had. It is a very simple, calming, and reliable tank once you get to know the role it plays as well as the weaknesses/strengths it possesses. I bought it before all the buffs and to be honest I didn't think this thing even needed a buff, it's the best value for the dollar if you're looking to buy one of the more expensive tier 8s.

Regarding the armor, which people have complained about, you'd honestly be surprised how many uneducated pubs bounce your front/sides when you play around with angles and side scraping, its not that much of a paper tank that people suggest it is, you just have to put some work into making it perform. Along with a high powered and accurate gun, you can consistently get damage for nearly every shot you put out, making the DPM seem pretty good when it isnt.

Arty does fuck you up though, just get a spall liner and play careful though and it shouldnt be too much of a bother.

However I do have to say that 75 dollars is a ridiculous price to pay for this tank. I got it for 45. If you already have a nice moneymaker, stick to it, wargaming is too greedy with their crap.

Just remembered an occasion where @CraBeatOff fired a 10.5 HEAT in his VK2801 into the hull side above tracks of an unangled Lowe point blank and it failed to pen.

Then he got tracked by 'teammates' and killed.

2 hours ago, Fianii said:

Just remembered an occasion where @CraBeatOff fired a 10.5 HEAT in his VK2801 into the hull side above tracks of an unangled Lowe point blank and it failed to pen.

Then he got tracked by 'teammates' and killed.

well Löwe has 100mm of side armor so 105mm HEAT does have a nice chance to bounce off it with 101mm avg pen

must have been hilarious though :D

3 hours ago, yuryi said:

Arty does fuck you up though, just get a spall liner and play careful though and it shouldnt be too much of a bother.

afaik spall liner is fairly useless outside of very very well armored tanks that can mount an SH version like Maus/T95

I was sure it had 80 like it's peers. Mistakes were made. Mental revisions as well.

8 hours ago, nemlengyel said:

afaik spall liner is fairly useless outside of very very well armored tanks that can mount an SH version like Maus/T95

I agree but lowe is a 92 ton tank so it gets the superheavy spall liner

On 1/30/2017 at 4:55 PM, yuryi said:

I agree but lowe is a 92 ton tank so it gets the superheavy spall liner

Still useless, as it does not have the Maus - level of armor thickness. You are saving 50 hp per arty hit, at most.

Both vents or optics are way better, even the toolbox.

Running optics on this tank can be hilarious. Unlike T32, you can also snipe at what you spot.

On 2017-03-11 at 0:53 PM, nemlengyel said:

Running optics on this tank can be hilarious. Unlike T32, you can also snipe at what you spot.

Im thinking of buying it as a crew trainer for german heavies (which I got none so far) and I got a coupon from WG so its cheaper. 

Is this a good tank? T34 drives me nuts with how slow and sluggish it is, is this any better after the buff? 

Löwe is pretty much the premium 8 I dont like to see on the opposite team because of how good the overall armor and sidescraping it can pull off with a good player behind it. 

Everyone has been saying its a good tank. It was the next to last to be eliminated in the recent thread. How many more people saying its good do you need?  

Because of the buffs, it keeps up with most heavies well enough. I've been running it with Defenders and it basically stays up with them now. 

Judging based on what you fear to face seems a reasonable measure for tanks you haven't driven.

I never had it until the buff, so I can't compare before/after, but it's probably my favorite T8 premium. I'm never nervous to select it.  I know I'll be effective no matter what map or tier.

But it fits my play style. If you like armored heavies that do well when angled and maneuvered correctly, you should do well in this one. 

I think it also scales tiers better than Defenders. Sure, with a Defender, you'll faceroll t6-t8 tanks, but you are fucked against tier 9s or 10s with your inaccurate and low-pen gun while they just snipe your turret or lower plate. Meanwhile, with 234pen standard ap and 294pen apcr, the Löwe has the second-best penetration of any tier 8 heavy (after the t34) - together with its 1,150 m/s standard shell velocity and 1,438 m/s apcr shell velocity, it's much easier to hit and pen weakspots and remain relevant. You also have 10 degrees of gun depression and a turret that is almost as strong hulldown as the T32's, and if you find any wreck/tiny hill/wall to hide your lfp behind, you can diamond angle to get a 250 effective UFP and a 250 effective ricochet side. You can also spot for yourself. What else is needed from a heavy?

I decided to buy it because of german heavies and I think its mobility is okay. I imagine it being better than T34 but not sure if thats the engine sound that make it feels so or if it is. 

I really like the reliability. It sidescraped like a champ and bounces JpE100 at the mantlet. The dpm is quite a struggle but I try to control the distance, worst that could happen is that someone yolos you because I cant outshoot another tank, more or less.

VR is extremely good and I only got a crew with 50% on first skill. Took it to the railroad at Fiery Salient and assisted 5.2k dmg, got Patrol Duty, Ace and 130k profit. Feels quite good.:gachi:

On 2017. 03. 15. at 2:28 PM, Wessmen said:

I decided to buy it because of german heavies and I think its mobility is okay. I imagine it being better than T34 but not sure if thats the engine sound that make it feels so or if it is. 

I really like the reliability. It sidescraped like a champ and bounces JpE100 at the mantlet. The dpm is quite a struggle but I try to control the distance, worst that could happen is that someone yolos you because I cant outshoot another tank, more or less.

VR is extremely good and I only got a crew with 50% on first skill. Took it to the railroad at Fiery Salient and assisted 5.2k dmg, got Patrol Duty, Ace and 130k profit. Feels quite good.:gachi:

Welcome onboard. :D

And don't forget to pack some of the gold rounds too. It isn't needed all that often, but it opens up the world of VKB front plates/turrets, E100 turret fronts, E4 turrets and JPE100 superstructures to the mighty Löwe.

Nothing much here, just a reminder that the lowe is still godly epic and you should get one.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0