Sign in to follow this  
MoonMewn

Through your first 5k games, what would you say you struggled with the most?

Question

I'm currently about 2.5k battles in, and I enjoy QB and Jingles with their commentary and insight into specific situations. My stats, however, are pretty rough, as you can see. I understand that getting 2500+ WN8 or even just in the green will not happen until about 7 or 8k battles, but through your first 5, what would you say your stats looked like? Thanks! 

10 answers to this question

Idk at 6k battles i was in foxey with 1600 overall and 2.6k recent. The hard part about getting to 2900 was positioning and knowing when to abondon a flank.

I know most people have a tank that they can go to that they always seem to get nice WN8 scores with ... But I don't think that I'll ever get to 1600 ... Oh well. 

At 6k battles i was solid yellow, spamming games in the Stug 3 because it was the only TD that could pen the KV at the time. You are in a totally fine spot right now. The best thing to learn from early on is all of the major weakspots on tanks, and just focus on penning as many of your fired shots as possible. Situational awareness will come with time and practice, so its better to focus on mechanical skills before anything else.

Thank you! Would you recommend that I get away from the tier 7/8 games and go back down to tier 5 and 6 just to get better? This is probably a given, but I love my Pershing so much and I do well in it. 

Wotlabs time machine only let me see @ 9600 battles (19. Dec '12), but I was at 60% overall winrate and fuck knows what wn8, this was before any of those wn metrics were a thing.

Think I was at like 55% or something at 2-3k battles, and was still retraining crews for free as I was a poor student, so no prems and no golds, the struggle was real. Gameplay wise, same issue as now, too much aggression and a tendency to tunnel vision, I have a habit of locking onto someone and not stopping until they are rekt, with little regard to the consequences.

Controlling the tendency to make super aggressive plays was and still is an issue.

I have to keep reminding myself that sometimes letting the enemy make a mistake is more valuable than forcing them to make a mistake with risky plays.

Falling prey to my aggressive tendency usually results in me getting cucked by overextension or being ditched by allies which in turn tilts me mentally.

3 hours ago, CandyVanMan said:

Wotlabs time machine only let me see @ 9600 battles (19. Dec '12), but I was at 60% overall winrate and fuck knows what wn8, this was before any of those wn metrics were a thing.

Think I was at like 55% or something at 2-3k battles, and was still retraining crews for free as I was a poor student, so no prems and no golds, the struggle was real. Gameplay wise, same issue as now, too much aggression and a tendency to tunnel vision, I have a habit of locking onto someone and not stopping until they are rekt, with little regard to the consequences.

Like an adorable bull terrier.

Until having like 7k battles i just didnt care.

Battle button 

Yolo

Repeat being 1400wn8 boi

Then i started reading wiki mechanics and it just insta clicked.

At 5k games I was around 2k overall and 2.5k or 2.6k recent. My biggest improvement started when I was at about 3.5k battles. I started watching a lot of replays/videos of top players and things started to click in my head more and more. I'm still struggling with certain aspects of the game such as not always paying as close of attention to the mini map and relocating to another flank. Sometimes I'm also still overly aggressive which gets punished very fast at high tiers especially. However, I would say that my biggest improvement that has allowed me to progress thus far is considerable improvement in situational awareness.

Where you are right now at only 2.3k games is actually completely fine. In fact you are probably better than the majority of the players out there who are still red tomatoes at that many games. The main thing is to stay persistent as you will have speed bumps on your road to becoming a better player. Everyone has gone through those growing pains. It's all about you and the end of the day. Do you want to become a better player and are you willing to put in the time and effort it takes? Those are the questions you have to answer first before moving on to what you need to improve upon inside the game.