xtc4

Shooting the IS-3 in the side

13 posts in this topic

I have a confession. Like many shitters doing strongholds and other team stuff, I get in a brawl with a bunch of IS-3s and bounce a lot of shots off of their sides. It is frustrating to flank an IS-3 and then have the shot go "boing."

Now that I have admitted my failings, can you help me on the path to enlightenment in the most gentle and non-judgmental way possible? (I am fragile.) What are some simple rules on (1) where to shoot and not to shoot the side of IS-3 and (2) what ammo type to use?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a strip below the spaced armor. If you are close enough shoot in between the wheels at that spot. Also the drive wheels are great spots to shoot and a lot of times you can still pen the side of the pike. If you have enough pen like a skorp or whatever you can nomally still go through the lower part of the spaced armor strip or overmatch the hull roof. AP or APCR should be fine for most things. If you are shooting very down on them HE or HESH can be very silly. HEAT is really only reliable for the front but you can still sling it through the side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AP and APCR. Avoid red zone and aim at green one.

n2Lo994.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MacusFlash said:

AP and APCR. Avoid red zone and aim at green one.

n2Lo994.png

Thanks! You are a saint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it has unrealistic side armor making it nearly impossible to pen the side without aiming, though the above image is a solid reference of its side armor, though your shots are prone to hitting the tracks or wheels in that green zone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lordawesome7 said:

it has unrealistic side armor 

65188864.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget that the turret side is also 175mm minimum in most place's due to slope.

I wonder why do the later Soviet HTs have inward sloping sponsons. Outward sloping sponsons would have allowed for much more internal space with almost the same weight and side protection. My only theory is that the sponsons are shaped like that to deflect landmine and shaped charges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whenever I can I would avoid auto-aiming an IS-3, especially from the sides since the gun would lock and aim towards that bullsh*t spaced armor :serb:.

if you're close and circling an IS-3, try to get around to shoot its rear for a better chance to deal damage, otherwise your side shots have a chance to be absorbed for nyet damage. always frustrating for a tier X medium tank for that to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tanks.gg bro, answers to most of those types of questions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

AP and APCR. Avoid red zone and aim at green one.

n2Lo994.png

What I love the most about this picture is my IS7 in comparison. I get penned like every single round into the spaced side skirt and even set on fire, that tank is paper compared to the IS3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThomChen114 said:

whenever I can I would avoid auto-aiming an IS-3, especially from the sides since the gun would lock and aim towards that bullsh*t spaced armor :serb:.

if you're close and circling an IS-3, try to get around to shoot its rear for a better chance to deal damage, otherwise your side shots have a chance to be absorbed for nyet damage. always frustrating for a tier X medium tank for that to happen.

Yes, I think this is often the exact problem: circling and auto-aiming, especially in the T-54 ltwt. I will break the habit. I am already doing it less because of the lack of autoaim+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IS-7 has a very similar armor layout. The sides are actually pretty thin if you manage to squeeze a shot between the spaced armor and tracks. Heat will go through very easily, though at that point you should just be shooting the pike. 

3 hours ago, Siimcy said:

What I love the most about this picture is my IS7 in comparison. I get penned like every single round into the spaced side skirt and even set on fire, that tank is paper compared to the IS3.

You must learn to play is7 comrade. If you drive face first then they cannot pen your sides! :serb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luna said:

You must learn to play is7 comrade. If you drive face first then they cannot pen your sides! :serb:

In russia tank you first kill enemy, so they can't shoot you back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.