warrends

The ultimate Factorio thread: What's in your Burner Inserter?

31 posts in this topic

OK. Time to start talking about Factorio. Started due to this thread I began in an effort to find other base building games. But turns out that Factorio may be the best there is.

Not much time right now for a huge intro as I'm at work and I should ... well ... do some work.

Quick synopsis: You're stranded on a strange planet (How'd you get there? I have no idea.). You have to start from almost nothing to eventually build a rocket to leave said planet. As soon as your rocket launches, you win. Most people don't really seem to bother with the endgame though; rather, they strive for other self-made in-game goals. Only impediment is the 'aliens' who are actually the planet's residents, as you are the true alien.

Pros:

• $20. That's it. For now anyway. With the next version due in a couple of months (I think) they will be out of Early Access and the one-time cost may go up. No in-game purchases. $20 buys you a lifetime of wasted hours.
  • Great general gameplay. This is a true base building adventure. You begin with almost nothing and have to generate stuff to generate other stuff to research stuff to generate even more stuff.
  • Sweet graphics. Not super hi-res but enough detail to see the machines at work when you zoom in. And this will easily work on low-end PCs.
  • Makes you think, I mean really, really think.
  • The community is the best I have ever seen. I have yet to ever see anyone rage at anyone else, either players or the devs, in the  forums, on Reddit, anywhere. It's actually people helping people.
  • The devs listen to the community. Every patch includes not only a bit more content, much of it requested, but also tons of bug fixes as noted by the players.
  • Tons upon tons of mods available, generated by the community. Installation takes about 5 seconds each. Seriously.
  • Extremely configurable, either vanilla or with any number of mods.
  • I love this quote from a Steam review: "Factorio is a super duper awesome game where we use conveyor belts to shoot aliens."

Cons:

• Ain't much. For me, the endgame as I said is a bit anti-climactic. Build the rocket and leave. So go for something else.
  • Oil production setup is a pain, but after you get used to it, it gets a bit better. Unfortunately this is the latter 2/3rds of the game.

Bottom line: Watch some YT videos (there are thousands) to get an idea of how to start the game, drop the $20, install, and then kiss your life goodbye.

Yeah mate, really enjoyed this game...highly addictive but the one down side is that there is a bit of a learning curve you need to reach before the game really gets good...at first you'll literally have no idea how to build anything and the tutorial is far too basic ...

But watch a couple vids and read some reddit posts and you'll be cracking out to this game all night.

Game strongly appeals to anyone with OCD as the try to design the perfect factory to take raw materials into final products without you having to do anything is a very addictive circle!

Definitely a game you can get lost in..but as you mentioned there really isnt much "end game"...its more about base building.

Been cracking out to Rimworld recently..which is different but has a strong base build/people management side to it.

Seems like a super fun game, and as a DF/Rimworld/pdox player, right up my alley. I really should pick this up, but I keep thinking "I'll get it on sale" and forget about it. Maybe I should just treat myself.

can confirm it is fun, addiciting, and lasts a long time... i was long time backer for a while and have spent many an hour in it.. in vanilla gameplay its quite long, in modded, it can both  expidite, elongate and enhance your gameplay and gametime.

Ok, I went out and bought it. After a few hours I think I'm going to have nightmares of my disgusting, snaking web of resource chains and dozens of hand-fueled furnaces. 8/10

42 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

Ok, I went out and bought it. After a few hours I think I'm going to have nightmares of my disgusting, snaking web of resource chains and dozens of hand-fueled furnaces. 8/10

You are officially screwed. Welcome to the gang.

If it's your thing for this game, try a multiplayer instance sometime. My son and I did that when we first bought it. Just used our personal IP address and hard-wired link from PC to PC. But we found we have different playing styles. At 12 (a wicked bright 12) he moves really quickly, yet very efficiently, whereas I tend to stare for of a couple of hours, think a bit, and then work for 5 minutes, and then repeat the staring thing. So, as the Dad, I kept telling him "No, we're doing it THIS way." After a while, we both got tired of that and he moved on to other 12/13 year old games. There are also evidently tons of public servers out there, some of which take upwards of 12 players or so I think (the game is somewhat inherently (or intentionally?) limited). But no idea how to get to them, as I'm not interested in haggling with others on exactly what configuration to use for which furnaces, assembly machines or belt lines. As the community says, which I like, there is literally no wrong way to go about doing anything in this game. There are certainly compact and efficient methods, but that's not necessarily "right".

I'm certainly not the most advanced player out there, as I still have to figure out how train signals work (did some tinkering last night so getting there) and the entire circuit network thing I haven't even begun and will take me months to figure out but I'm sure there is a lot of fruity goodness in there, but as I find some time I'll post some really great YT videos and playlists. Note that to really get a sense of this game via YT it literally takes a few hours of watching and listening. It's just that long a game; not quite like Tanks where you can (theoretically) watch a few decent YT videos, get a sense of what to do and what buttons to push, and then play. But if you love building out stuff, along with designing, prototyping, wrecking your entire design just to start over, wrecking a portion of your design either to make if smaller/more efficient/whatever or because it's become redundant, and if you love to let that OCD thing take over completely, this is absolutely the way to go. Dunno how many times I've wrecked an entire part of my factory ... just to move it one box to the right ... just for symmetry. Actually, I did that 2 nights ago. Moved 6 already-built furnace lines (actually 12), which took probably close to an hour to build, exactly 5 boxes to the left so they'd fit with my future plans ('lectric furnaces).

4 hours ago, Rexxie said:

Me and sirshakes did a vanilla and modded playthrough, if you ever do mp with friends somewhere down the line it'll have de sync issues, esp with mods just a heads up (we were peer to peer hosting aka via steam lol)

@warrends look up biggest factorio co-op server or something like that, I think they did like 500 people or so, so it can hold more people, but just like all servers it heavily depends on  the server hosting 

On 1/22/2017 at 8:43 AM, warrends said:

You are officially screwed. Welcome to the gang.

If it's your thing for this game, try a multiplayer instance sometime.

Ziddy and I have started doing this, it's a lot of fun. Although right away Ziddy was like "i luv u but ur inefficient garbage bb", he's way better at me at this sorta game. I have a hard time picturing any kind of designs in my head, so I'll just start putting things down with no goal other than "this needs to get there". An hour in and he's already talking about using filters and logic circuits to sort the materials.

1 hour ago, Rexxie said:

Ziddy and I have started doing this, it's a lot of fun. Although right away Ziddy was like "i luv u but ur inefficient garbage bb", he's way better at me at this sorta game. I have a hard time picturing any kind of designs in my head, so I'll just start putting things down with no goal other than "this needs to get there". An hour in and he's already talking about using filters and logic circuits to sort the materials.

Stoppit. I'm trying hard to save money!

10 hours ago, Rexxie said:

BUT ITS SO EASY!!!!!

9 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Stoppit. I'm trying hard to save money!

give up already! give in!

Lmao I still have yet to play around with circuits and combinators and conditions and shit, I just don't have it in me right now.  The game's fucking great though (and iirc, not that it matters anymore since rexxie bought it, but the devs said they won't put it on sale like ever), totally worth the wasted hours

Well I may be screwed. I'm already infatuated with this damned game. And in mid-Feb I'll be off of work for a week due to some upcoming surgery (hopefully minor, but with a week's recovery -- they have to take a cyst or something out of my gut). So my problem? Not my health -- I'm actually not worried about that. But the fact that I'll be at home, pretty immobile (have you ever had abdominal surgery? I had my appendix out 3 years ago and afterward it took me 20 minutes each morning just to roll out of bed --- seriously --- try getting up without using ANY stomach muscles at all), means that I'll have not very much to do except for reading, TV and video games. Which means hours upon hours of Factorio. Life is hell. But I am actually worried about this.

... Anyway ...

OOP, just spend the $20US (whatever that converts to in South African money) and buy it.

And Rexxie, have fun. I'm a friggin' engineer and I have a helluva hard time designing the infinite types of configurations in this game, trying to make them as efficient as possible, for everything that needs to be done (even "simple" stuff like belt balancing). So instead I go for pretty: I try to be efficient, but also go for symmetry and straight lines and such. I'll never excel to the level that the Factorio unicums do, being able to envision a red circuit build and then plop belts, buildings and inserters down immediately, power it up and have it work right away. So I go for my own best. I gave up on super-efficient long ago (I have well over 500 hours in this game). So I make them pretty and then put a nice concrete base underneath it all. Makes for a nice neighborhood, until the biters and spitters come a-knockin'.

I bought it, but it will probably be a few centuries before I get around to playing it :-)

You're missing out man do it now

Like seriously just give it an hour and before you know it you're working on your third megabase expansion and it's 5AM the next day

11 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

You're missing out man do it now

Like seriously just give it an hour and before you know it you're working on your third megabase expansion and it's 5AM the next day

Real life says no, unfortunately.

Work and an 8 month old child have killed my free time.

5 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Work and an 8 month old child have killed my free time.

No excuse. I have two kids and I force my way into some playing time. Lots of time, actually. OK, way too much play time.

One piece of advice: Don't get your kids into video games. They will eventually on their own, but don't encourage it. I got my son into Tanks when he was 7 or so (now almost 13) when I first began to play it, and while he's now moved on to other games, gaming is his primary mission in life. My bad, and probably the one thing I'd re-do as a parent if I had the choice.

In the meantime ... my new Factorio world, just started earlier in the week, is coming along nicely. I'm still trying for "Towns" where I train each of the essential items (coal, iron and copper ore, stone) to their own "Towns", which will then each export and import what they need to make their own items, and so on and so on. Intent is lots of Towns each having its own product, as I've explained before. So probably 12 hours in and all I have so far are a thousand miles of railway (of the 50,000 I'll need), a really small central setup doing some very slow green research that will soon be broken down in lieu of my really big research setup, and tons of coal coming to a large area via train for smelting iron and copper (yet to be started). Having fun. While some enjoy the speedruns, I enjoy (because I don't have the brain for speedruns) truly taking my time as I design and build.

17 hours ago, warrends said:

No excuse. I have two kids and I force my way into some playing time. Lots of time, actually. OK, way too much play time.

I have been fitting in time for gaming but the last week has been so busy work-wise :-(

And then when it comes time to pick something to play the short-list is really long :-/

3 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

Save Factorio for when you can devote a good 16-20 hours straight playing it.  

That's just to get electricity running. Then you need to do some auto-smelting.

My bro plays this game a lot, has around 300~400 hours on it already and still hasn't ran out of stuff to do and he can have a few hours long sessions doing something at all times. Game looks really good and so do the reviews but my attention span for tutorials nowadays is so slim I don't really know if I can get into it really.

I wouldn't worry too much about tutorials, the game starts out really simple. It's not like DF or EU4 or something where you start the game and you've got a million choices. You basically just plop a mine on some ore and figure out how to get it into a smelter & you're good to go. The complexity only comes in later, and even then only if you want to be more efficient.