xWulffx

What is the best tier 8 Cruiser

43 posts in this topic

Tough call in my book each has it's own special perks and flavors.

I have the the Atago, the Chapayev, the Edinburgh, and the Mogami.   I had the Adm Hipper and New Orleans but sold them, and I don't have the Russian Premium either.

I'd say the Atago and the Adm Hipper are the best 2, and the Edinburgh comes in 3rd place. 

Thoughts?

Best all round cruiser for pubs plus any competitive play is the Atago, that doesn't mean that its the best at everything, the MK has smoke, AA, range and IHFE for lots of dmg, NO has good armor and long lasting radar while Chapy has long range radar. Not too sure about Edin, grinding up to it, not sure if its used in competitive, never seen one.

Prinz potato and Hipper are kinda trash, bad HE plus meh AP that need perfect broadsides to work, plus awkward gun layout and bad stealth, all very meh

I've only got 3 tier 8 cruisers:

Fully kitted out I've managed to get the Hipper to 10.9km stealth from memory which is pretty good.

The Atago has the advantage of more guns, longer torps, and repair and is all round better than the hipper.

The kutuzov has excellent range as well as 12x quick firing guns which are obscene with IFHE. I don't have concealment on this captain yet, so I prefer to stay at range and pepper teams from afar.

Atago for cruiser duels since it gets heal advantage and x12 guns with hard hitting IJN 203mm HE and better AP penetration than the Germans.

Kutuzov if you like being the glass cannon/support guy in smoke melting some poor cruiser/BB under a hail of IFHE.

I don't have the MK but from what I've seen its a beast, how's the armor on it?

I think you will like the Edinburgh a lot, but I have not played it in competitive play and would have to agree that its not very useful there as you have to camp in smoke to get the most out of it.  It's a great support ship especially if DDs drop smoke for it once in a while.

3 hours ago, xWulffx said:

how's the armor on it?

Armor.... HAHAHH ahahha.... yeah, not really, on the same levels of a mogami, might even be worse, citadel almost the length of the ship (starts under front turret, finishes under rear turret)

10 minutes ago, Crossfader said:

Armor.... HAHAHH ahahha.... yeah, not really, on the same levels of a mogami, might even be worse, citadel almost the length of the ship (starts under front turret, finishes under rear turret)

Too funny

I would be inclined to say atago, because good torp arcs, excellent stealth, solid guns, and heal. Having heal is absolutely invaluable for a cruiser.

23 minutes ago, Crossfader said:

I actually find it better as you have good turret arc, this means you can actually angle if you really need to give a full broadside

Atago best tier 8 stealth battle cruiser

-has heavy firepower with great HE and powerful AP

-Has better torpedo armament than same tier DDs with great arcs

-Has pretty decent armor along with a HEAL

-Has something retarded like 9.3km concealment, can literally stealth fire guns and torpedoes

-is very fast

As a BB main, all i can say is fuck kutozovs. Literally fuck them. Fires everywhere

49 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

As a BB main, all i can say is fuck kutozovs. Literally fuck them. Fires everywhere

Agreed, they should reduce the fire chance a bit IMO. I run all sorts of modules and skills to reduce the fire damage taken, but kinda tiring to trying to push enemies, just to get HE spammed to death by cruisers, destroyers and battleships.

They are joyous to play though, like a pre-nerf Murmansk.

Although I'll prioritise them when they're on the enemy team.

After IFHE, Kutuzovs are actually really strong in cruiser duel as well. You can literally imagine the victim crying "our ship can't take the firepower of that magnitude!"

Santa got me a Kutuzov. This was yesterday, IFHE pillaging confirmed. Also, the armor is cruiser level, but you can certainly induce other ships to shoot at your belt while angling, instead of being smart and smacking you on the nose. Good size hit point pool as well...not sure if I have AR specced on this right now. Probably have EM instead.

shot-17.01.23_14.22.28-0097.jpg

I have played the Hipper (  I guess the Eugen by proxy ), New Orleans, Atago and the Kutuzov, leaving out the Mogami, Chapy and Edinburgh ( three which no one seems to think are the best ).  I think the Atago is better than the Kutuzov because it is gimmick free.  You have multiple tools to attack with, 4 sets of torp launchers with good arcs, good AP and HE, very good detection for ability to evade and the much appreciated Heal consumable.  The Kutuzov has smoke and a blistering ability to output damage, especially with IFHE, but if you can be vulnerable to ships with radar or hydro, and DD's that torp into your smoke.  If you get detected in smoke, you are large enough with an easy to hit citadel that you will melt quickly.  Also, the Kutuzov is now public enemy number 1 in every match - people will actively hunt you because of the asymetric amount of damage you can generate. 

I enjoy the Kutuzov a lot, but I think the Atago has more tools to get the win.

Best overall premium cruiser would probably be the Atago though you can make a strong case for the Kutuzov.

Non-premium cruisers is harder to define; they all have some drawbacks that keep one specific ship from leading the pack. (For the record I've played Mogami, Hipper, Chapayev so far.)

Oddly enough I seem to perform best in the Mogami worst in the Atago as far as tier 8 CAs go. But that probably says more about my quirks as a captain than anything about the ships themselves. So your mileage may vary. ;)

21 minutes ago, Rodrigopine said:

Best overall premium cruiser would probably be the Atago though you can make a strong case for the Kutuzov.

Non-premium cruisers is harder to define; they all have some drawbacks that keep one specific ship from leading the pack. (For the record I've played Mogami, Hipper, Chapayev so far.)

Oddly enough I seem to perform best in the Mogami worst in the Atago as far as tier 8 CAs go. But that probably says more about my quirks as a captain than anything about the ships themselves. So your mileage may vary. ;)

Are you using 155mm Mogami?

10 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Are you using 155mm Mogami?

Yes, though the bulk of the games I've played were prior to the latest patch. I think the new penetration skill for HE has made the guns a lot stronger but I still don't think it pushes itself into the number one spot for non-premium tier 8 cruisers overall. I just happen to gel with this ship better than the others though I'm starting to warm up to the Chapayev having only very recently acquired it.  

As most of the others have said the Atago and Kutuzov are the best tier 8 cruisers. However,I will go farther then the others and say all of the tech tree cruisers and the Prinz Potato are complete trash compared to the two good ships. I'd say that they only one that might be worth keeping after you've ground, or free XP'd, through it is the Mogami with 155's and IFHE, and even that ship is shitty shadow of what it once was. I miss the days when the Mogami was the fire breathing god of tier 7 and Myoko was a perfectly adequate tier 8 cruisers.

I just don't seem to be able to make the Takao/Atago click for me...I can do decent, but I've been speccing them for stealth, and that just isn't my thing when not in a DD. Heck, I end up in too many gunfights in DD's that aren't suited for it because someone has to make a stand.  :P

As for Kutuzov, I usually set up near islands anyway - torp protection, blind fire protection, and when the smoke wears off I'm in place. Going to double check and make sure I have priority target on it as well.

Kutuzov in a nutshell. It's a great ship and the kind of power you expect a cruiser to have. Everything else in tier apart from the Atago is kind of bad. Chapayev is alright and I've heard reasonable things about the Edinburgh. However the Kutuzov's ability to bring its own concealment to the party just wins.

Well, I only own the Takao at tier 8, and have never played any of the other tier 8 cruisers. So i dont actually know, but from fighting them, i would out the Kutozov or the Atago/Takao up pretty high to be honest. 

Atago. 

Combination of speed, stealth, fire chance, and offensive torpedo placement means that in this thing can still pull its weight in higher tier games. When top tier, its tankiness and heal allow it to bully lower tier CL/CAs. It overall is very flexible and really excels at proving fire support for DDs (thanks to its stealth), kitting and and harassing pursuing enemies, and lighting ships on fire from range. Its weaknesses (terrible AA and huge citadel) can be mitigated by angling and using defensive AA appropriately, so it's not a big deal really. 

THREAD NECRO...

Anyways, before last patch it was between Atago and Kutuzov. But now Atago can't stealth fire any more.

So overall the Kutuzov seems the most versatile bringing it's smoke where it needs to be with awesome range, fire chance and damage potential.

The Atago is better whenever the Kutuzov ran out of smoke or in a straight 1vs1 but in all other situations the Kutuzov simply deals so much more damage so much more easily.