xWulffx

What is the best tier 8 Cruiser

43 posts in this topic

Not the Hipper. That's for fucking sure.

2 hours ago, Pocktio said:

Not the Hipper. That's for fucking sure.

lol nope. Hipper is pretty underwhelming. The only 'successful' way I learned to play it was chai snipe with awful HE until the mid game developed then find a way to ambush damaged ships at close range with AP and torpedus. The only likeable thing about the Hipper is that it's pretty tanky for a cruiser so if you have good angling you can deflect a pretty good amount of damage.

The Hipper is worth enduring only because the Roon is so good. Probably one of the strongest tier 9 ships in the game.

While I still like the Roon I think it's somewhere in the middle of the pack. With the buffed Balti and Izumo, MO, Black, Neptune, Fletcher and Udalol around it doesn't feel as special as it used to. 

I recently unlocked the New Orleans and while I don't think she's bad per se she is definitely the trickiest tier 8 cruiser to use especially when up-tiered. Very sensitive to map position and enemy team composition. Seems to continue the trend established by the Pensacola of AP based glass cannons. Every match you pretty much have to bring your 'A game' to be effective or you risk immediate deletion.

13 minutes ago, Rodrigopine said:

I recently unlocked the New Orleans and while I don't think she's bad per se she is definitely the trickiest tier 8 cruiser to use especially when up-tiered. Very sensitive to map position and enemy team composition. Seems to continue the trend established by the Pensacola of AP based glass cannons. Every match you pretty much have to bring your 'A game' to be effective or you risk immediate deletion.

Yea but 9.1 km detection and 9 km radar cause lulz. 'Ambush' and 'fire and fade away' are a way of life in the New Orleans

1 minute ago, Psycodiver said:

Yea but 9.1 km detection and 9 km radar cause lulz. 'Ambush' and 'fire and fade away' are a way of life in the New Orleans

Yeah, the ambushing is a strength for sure. The positioning has to be on point though. If you're detected early it's no bueno. :(

2 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

Yeah, the ambushing is a strength for sure. The positioning has to be on point though. If you're detected early it's no bueno. :(

If you are being spotted with 9.1 km detection, then pop your radar. If that isn't the case then your way to close to the enemy. I play mine like a usn dd, fire a couple salvos, when Priority Target tells me more than 2 ships are targeting me I disappear

Yeah getting way too close is easy to do especially if you're trying to actively hunt/deter DDs at caps. I don't think it's a bad ship, it's just got very little margin for error and that takes getting used to especially since I'm used to playing DDs and pushing caps aggressively. I need to tone it down in a glass ship.

I pretty much played the New Orleans, Baltimore, and Des Moines the same way that a few hundred Atlanta games have taught me. Find island near cap, torment red DD's, use catapults to light fires on BB's, have an annoying no-fly zone for the red CV, and citadel to death any cruiser foolish enough to rush MY island.

4 hours ago, cheereereerios said:

I pretty much played the New Orleans, Baltimore, and Des Moines the same way that a few hundred Atlanta games have taught me. Find island near cap, torment red DD's, use catapults to light fires on BB's, have an annoying no-fly zone for the red CV, and citadel to death any cruiser foolish enough to rush MY island.

I'm at the develpment stage where I usually end up trading my ship pretty early for an enemy destroyer. Last night it was detect benson, shoot benson, benson smokes. Pop radar. Finish off benson. Minotaur and Roon wreck me before I can fall off of detection. I'm probably too aggressive and not positioned correctly to effectively 'shoot n scoot' in most of these matches.

On 9/14/2017 at 2:55 PM, Rodrigopine said:

I'm at the develpment stage where I usually end up trading my ship pretty early for an enemy destroyer. Last night it was detect benson, shoot benson, benson smokes. Pop radar. Finish off benson. Minotaur and Roon wreck me before I can fall off of detection. I'm probably too aggressive and not positioned correctly to effectively 'shoot n scoot' in most of these matches.

Got the permacamo last night for New Orleans from the birthday collection. Hadn't played her since grinding through, so made a 10-pt captain and put the camo on. Got Mountain Range in a T9 battle. Ended the night with a Kraken. EZ  ;)

(went to C cap, humped islands, pew pew pew'd away with a couple kill steals secures.)

1 hour ago, cheereereerios said:

Got the permacamo last night for New Orleans from the birthday collection. Hadn't played her since grinding through, so made a 10-pt captain and put the camo on. Got Mountain Range in a T9 battle. Ended the night with a Kraken. EZ  ;)

(went to C cap, humped islands, pew pew pew'd away with a couple kill steals secures.)

Well, I'm definitely not at that level of comfort with the New Orleans where I can make plays like that without getting focused and killed. I predict many more deaths before I get the feel for it. ;)

20 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

Well, I'm definitely not at that level of comfort with the New Orleans where I can make plays like that without getting focused and killed. I predict many more deaths before I get the feel for it. ;)

PS, the imgur link in this post is very very very useful. Most of the same locations apply to the NO, Baltimore, and DM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/5ltqif/where_to_go_sightseeing_in_the_atlanta/

(And the grind through to Des Moines is fairly easy if you can free XP the modules on NO and Balti, would say it's under a hundred games at that point. The Des Moines is one of my favorite ships.)

Atago, New Orleans, Kutuzov, Chapayev, Edinburgh, and Martel are all solid to very good. Hipper and Eugen are pieces of shit.

So, I finally found a formula that kind of works in the NO, pick an island that will allow your radar to fully sweep a cap zone.  Hump said island for dear life and wait for red to creep into the capping indicator.  Announce to your team mates you will have 30 seconds of radar for the cap.  Push the radar, watch stuff die, contribute if possible.  Once you or your team cap ( if you cap you will probably die, let a DD do it ) move on to the next suspected DD or smoke CL hangout and make the same announcement.  Die the minute a Yamato catches 1/16 of your exposed stern with his heat seeking love missiles.  GG.

Just got the NO and put on that snazzy aniversary camo. Put her out for a run - got instantly deleted twice by Yamato and Kurfürst. Third game I am finally top tier but I still hide most fo the game, the a Yolo Gneisenau gets my slightly angled side at 12km - instant death.

I mean, lol. In all three games so far I have been killed from full health in one go. Cruisers at tier VIII are simply useless unless Kutuzov or at least healtago.

Glad to see I'm not the only person who's useless in tier 8 cruisers.

Had a fun time in the Hipper over the weekend where my WR went from 55% to 46% in one session.  Won 1/10.

Wasn't angry at ALL...