FlorbFnarb

Advice for noobs

98 posts in this topic

Just started playing this like yesterday.  Picked up the Americans at first cuz Murica, but really what are the fun lines to play?  Somebody in chat said play BBs, especially Kraut and Jap BBs, so I'm kinda headed that way, but really is there a consensus on this?  How are carriers?

I seem to do fairly well with gunnery, which I was not expecting.

Should I drop the Americans and go play Jap or German battleships, or are DDs the hot thing?  Torps seem pretty powerful if you can get them to hit.

there are several good youtubers to watch

from the fellas over @ RUST

Notser, Flamu, Aeroon. I think Notser is a bit more 'noob friendly'

I find playing ships is a lot like driving a really slow tank in WoT, you have to be thinking several minutes ahead in order to be in the correct position.

BBs are probably good to start with, but they are slow to respond to helm changes and esp at low tiers very slow. But they have the biggest HP pool...and most people play them like snipers, trying to use their long range to avoid taking damage. This big hp pool makes them targets of aircraft of course, so you have to keep an eye on inbound aircraft and be prepared to turn into torps.

Devour these forums, there is much good stuff here...

16 minutes ago, capt-jay said:

there are several good youtubers to watch

from the fellas over @ RUST

Notser, Flamu, Aeroon. I think Notser is a bit more 'noob friendly'

I find playing ships is a lot like driving a really slow tank in WoT, you have to be thinking several minutes ahead in order to be in the correct position.

BBs are probably good to start with, but they are slow to respond to helm changes and esp at low tiers very slow. But they have the biggest HP pool...and most people play them like snipers, trying to use their long range to avoid taking damage. This big hp pool makes them targets of aircraft of course, so you have to keep an eye on inbound aircraft and be prepared to turn into torps.

Devour these forums, there is much good stuff here...

Yeah, that's one thing I try to do - play at long range.  Mostly because I seem to do alright in terms of gunnery, while I see a lot of people missing.

Then again, I'm still in Tier 3 and that long-range play means my secondary guns simply never come into play, so for all I know I should be closing so I can get the use of them...at least if my ship has more extensive secondaries than the enemy.  However, Dreadnoughts came into existence for a reason.

I'm not far enough along to worry about planes just yet. :P

Well right now the meta leans towards BBs with German and Japanese being dominant. American BBs are a close third and can be effective it just tends to be a bit more situational. As far as DDs go, the most versatile are the US ships with decent guns and torpedoes. The Russians are pretty much dedicated gun platforms for now that rely on speed and maneuverability and less on stealth. The German DDs seem like a bit of a mix between US and Russian but don't seem to be all that good. Most of the Japanese DDs rely on torpedoes for damage. (There are a couple exceptions.) The problem with torpedoes though is that there performance is pretty unreliable. One match I can get zero hits, the next I can get 10. Most of that comes from having to rely on the enemy players to be predictable and sometimes they surprise you by making an unexpected choice.  

As for cruisers and carriers I don't think I would recommend them for your first line. They are both pretty tricky in different ways and not very forgiving of mistakes.

Probably the most 'noob friendly' ships would be German BBs because they tend to be pretty tanky and while dispersion can be a bit 'meh' the shell flight time and arcs are pretty good.

German BBss are the easiest to play with the current meta with IJN cruisers being second in my opinion. iChase has a couple good videos also and Jingles has a couple alright introduction to line videos. Try to division up with some of the players here, I'm on usually 8-10p EST most nights

I recommend you start with German BBs, which are the most forgiving out of all BBs due to their armor profile, maybe go down Jap BBs as well. USN BBS are fun until T9 where they start lacking in tankyness but overall, all 3 BB lines are quite good in general. BBs teach you the importance of planning and positioning while being quite a forgiving class to play. Also, don't bother shooting HE with BBs, AP is more reliable and BB reload times are too long to constantly switch shell types.

For newb-friendly cruisers I can recommend IJN and Russian cruisers which are good long-range HE spammers and reliably deal damage (maybe even USN cruisers, depends on how they're going to buff tiers 7, 8 and 9 in the next patch). Long range IJN torps may be decieving, but they're still a last resort type of armament. German cruisers are too reliant on AP while having anemic HE, and UK being quite skill demanding due to being extremely squishy, relying on smokes, positioning and having exclusively AP available. Cruisers in general are not very forgiving due to their vulnerability to BBs and AP in general.

USN and Russian DDs are quite newb-friendly due to their reliance on guns instead of torps, with the USN DDs being IMO the best line in the game. IJN DDs are quite skill-reliant due to their heavy reliance on torpedo armament, and don't bother with German DDs at all. DDs are probably the class you should try after BBs, they teach you the importance of capping and stealth. After that, you can incorporate everything you learned into cruisers. Also, shooting your maximum broadside isn't always the best bet, sometimes staying alive by good angling is way more beneficial than maximising your firepower.

Don't bother with CVs until you've gotten the grasp of the game, or unless you're good at RTS. They're a whole different game compared to surface combat.

CV players are either superuni in them, or potato. they are the hardest class to do well in, and at low tiers, also have little tolerance for mistakes, because you have no extra planes. Not to mention that tier 5 is full of assholes running 2 fighter squads in Bogue, leading to an even harder time trying to actually play.

54 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

tier 5 is full of assholes running 2 fighter squads in Bogue

#ClearSky4Dayz

22 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

#ClearSky4Dayz

And maxes 20k damage, if lucky.

1 hour ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

CV players are either superuni in them, or potato. they are the hardest class to do well in, and at low tiers, also have little tolerance for mistakes, because you have no extra planes. Not to mention that tier 5 is full of assholes running 2 fighter squads in Bogue, leading to an even harder time trying to actually play.

28 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

#ClearSky4Dayz

6 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

And maxes 20k damage, if lucky.

Is that considered some sort of cheese tactic, or just something potatoes do that screws you when they're on your team?

18 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Is that considered some sort of cheese tactic, or just something potatoes do that screws you when they're on your team?

Air superiority builds are unfortunately in many cases the more viable option for USN CVs since they lack the strike power of IJN CVs or have 0 fighter squads in strike loadouts. WG keeps buffing fighters and air superiority builds in every update, but they aren't really doing anything since the sole purpose of AS is denying the enemy CV airspace so you can gain a slight spotting advantage while having almost no striking power, which means you're effectively denying about 1 and a half ship in the entire game while with an IJN CV you can wreck all sorts of ships for days, even deny enemy CVs through skillful play and striking them. A CV rework is due within half a year or so, goal is to make them more user-friendly so it's not a class reserved for Starcraft gods.

Carriers have been broken for a while. First it was the Skillway, which could bomb a monata over 2 AA-spec Des Moines(argueably best AA ships in the game). Then they added fighters to IJN strike loadouts to compete, and now USN is pretty shafted, especially below tier 8, where the only viable loadout is a 1/1/1, which sucks. Carrier balancing is a tough topic to get right. Personally, I'm terrified by what will happen when UK carriers are released, in time.

As a side note, the computer I just built with an 8GB Radeon 480 will run WoWS in 4K without running hot, but on my 27" monitor the interface is insanely tiny.  I can't even read half the stuff on there the font is so small.  Is that normal, or are 4K monitors insanely large?

23 minutes ago, Yurra said:

Air superiority builds are unfortunately in many cases the more viable option for USN CVs since they lack the strike power of IJN CVs or have 0 fighter squads in strike loadouts. WG keeps buffing fighters and air superiority builds in every update, but they aren't really doing anything since the sole purpose of AS is denying the enemy CV airspace so you can gain a slight spotting advantage while having almost no striking power, which means you're effectively denying about 1 and a half ship in the entire game while with an IJN CV you can wreck all sorts of ships for days, even deny enemy CVs through skillful play and striking them. A CV rework is due within half a year or so, goal is to make them more user-friendly so it's not a class reserved for Starcraft gods.

12 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Carriers have been broken for a while. First it was the Skillway, which could bomb a monata over 2 AA-spec Des Moines(argueably best AA ships in the game). Then they added fighters to IJN strike loadouts to compete, and now USN is pretty shafted, especially below tier 8, where the only viable loadout is a 1/1/1, which sucks. Carrier balancing is a tough topic to get right. Personally, I'm terrified by what will happen when UK carriers are released, in time.

Ah, so then it makes them useless for about anything but a little spotting.  Got it.

1 hour ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

I just picked up a Saipan (up to Independence in US CV line, though I havent played it in ages), figuring the two torp - two fighter loadout with the extra plane skill now more easy to get at tier 4 would make it more viable, especially since you can now get the +50% ammo module for the low ammo corsair fighters it ha would be a boon. 

Was I mistaken?

Saipan is an exception, that thing is pretty pay 2 win, you can come out on top against either Ranger or Hiryuu without too much effort

1 hour ago, Expendable_Lad said:

I just picked up a Saipan (up to Independence in US CV line, though I havent played it in ages), figuring the two torp - two fighter loadout with the extra plane skill now more easy to get at tier 4 would make it more viable, especially since you can now get the +50% ammo module for the low ammo corsair fighters it ha would be a boon. 

Was I mistaken?

The "Extra Plane"-skill only adds fighters and dive bombers to your squads.

Ah, got it, so I can either have a 9 plane A-bomb bomber squad with 4 fighter squads or the 3 plane torpedoes?

For reference, which load out is pay to win? 

10 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

Ah, got it, so I can either have a 9 plane A-bomb bomber squad with 4 fighter squads or the 3 plane torpedoes?

For reference, which load out is pay to win? 

If you want to be an ass, fighter and dive bomber, if you actually want good gameplay, the 2 fighter, 2 torp is better, I think. I gave up on CVs at the Bogue.

That's why I had to make it at least to independence, so get an actual balanced load out for the USA.  Kinda makes me miss slaying Japanese planes with the Bogue fighter loadouts honestly... 

Most beginner-friendly lines IMO would be US destroyers, Japanese cruisers, and German battleships.  However, German battleships will probably teach a new player some bad habits, since their armor protects you from your own mistakes fairly often, as do the US battleships until tier 8.

IMO the USN BBs and CL/CA lines are decently noob friendly as well, but they just don't perform as well as the other countries in a lot of ways. You might do alright but you're playing ships that are at something of a disadvantage. That and the standard 21 knot top speed and short gun range on the BBs until tier 8 drives almost everyone crazy.

Tier IV is a fun tier and you should totally paly several lines to tier IV and get somewhat decent captians there (aka 10 points).

Strong and fun tier IV ships are imho:

1. Clemson - omg, this little gem has it all, awesome torps and dakka dakka to melt other DDs. The upgraded guns are HUGE though - don't be fooled by WGs useless rating, the upgrade means you get an extra barrel pre turret, effectively doubling your damage output! Also the line is great but demands a bit from the player.

2. Kaiser - a very good BB at tier IV. Can really take a punch and starts a really strong line.

3. Isokaze - your torp spammer of choice. In the lower tiers people and not terribly aware and so your torp waves can totally wreck them. Gun power is low but not non-existant. You can win against a Clemson at 5km+ ranges if the Clemson is almost dead or can't aim.

4. Langley - a CV. Perfect for determining is you like CV play. If you do stop at the Langley and play IJN CVs instead but at tier IV the Langley is very strong.

5. Svetlana - isn't really much stronger than Kuma or Phoenix but leads to a very strong line of Cruisers and is Cruising quite well at tier IV.

Even more than in WoT, positioning is the most important thing in WoWs. Apart from that train leading your shots well in the shortest amount of time.

If you want to let the game hold your hand like a small child then fascist box boats are for you. If you want to l2p then the Japanese BBs and CAs will teach you a lot. I'd also suggest giving Russian destroyers a go if you're okay with hair shirt learning. Learning to play a DD without crutching on concealment will have benefits when you move into stealthier ships.

A few things I've learned:

1. I never go anywhere alone.  Ever.  Same as in WoT; best to blob one cap, maybe have a destroyer shadow the center one to see if anybody goes for it, and just give the third to the enemy.  Splitting forces is terrible and will lose the match.
  2. The balance between minimizing exposure and maximizing firepower is tricky.
  3. I'm fairly decent at gunnery, but sometimes I come across somebody who is absolutely superb and seems to hit every damned shot.
  4. Destroyer drivers are like LT drivers in WoT: they usually YOLO themselves to death at the start of the match.
  5. I can see why once Dreadnoughts shifted to all-big-gun main batteries, the further shift to superdreadnoughts with all the main batteries on the centerline in superfiring turrets was pretty quick.  I hate knowing that driving straight at my enemy reduces my firepower to about 10%, and even 45 degrees still leaves it at about 50%; with superfiring turrets, directly nose-on you're still at 66% firepower and at a 45 degree angle or so you have 100% of your main batteries on target.
  6. Torpedoes hurt like a bitch.
  7. The game seems to have far fewer outright shitters than WoT just yet.
  8. The game seems to depend on luck less than WoT, both in terms of damage received and in terms of team skill, somehow.  Last night I played WoT and my first four matches my team was grossly overmatched skillwise; one of the four was Ensk Encounter, and we got slaughtered, losing eight tanks to none of the enemy, and we pulled a win out of our butts because the enemy was more skilled but miscalculated or whatever.  They all went and swept field, and the six or so of us that went city managed to fastcap it because it was quite clear that we were not going to win any other way, being down eight tanks.  But it was a frustrating night; everybody somehow penned my SP through the front, and I drew shit teams consistently.   Just shit luck, but holy shit rolling snake eyes a dozen times in a row is frustrating.  WoWS just doesn't have that feel.  I don't look at the screen and realize a match is flat out lost sixty seconds into the match, or occasionally even thirty seconds into the match.  It's more deliberate; your mistakes cost you, but that feeling you get when you see five tanks die in fifteen seconds...it just never happens in WoWS.

6 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

A few things I've learned:

1. I never go anywhere alone.  Ever.  Same as in WoT; best to blob one cap, maybe have a destroyer shadow the center one to see if anybody goes for it, and just give the third to the enemy.  Splitting forces is terrible and will lose the match.
  2. The balance between minimizing exposure and maximizing firepower is tricky.
  3. I'm fairly decent at gunnery, but sometimes I come across somebody who is absolutely superb and seems to hit every damned shot.
  4. Destroyer drivers are like LT drivers in WoT: they usually YOLO themselves to death at the start of the match.
  5. I can see why once Dreadnoughts shifted to all-big-gun main batteries, the further shift to superdreadnoughts with all the main batteries on the centerline in superfiring turrets was pretty quick.  I hate knowing that driving straight at my enemy reduces my firepower to about 10%, and even 45 degrees still leaves it at about 50%; with superfiring turrets, directly nose-on you're still at 66% firepower and at a 45 degree angle or so you have 100% of your main batteries on target.
  6. Torpedoes hurt like a bitch.
  7. The game seems to have far fewer outright shitters than WoT just yet.
  8. The game seems to depend on luck less than WoT, both in terms of damage received and in terms of team skill, somehow.  Last night I played WoT and my first four matches my team was grossly overmatched skillwise; one of the four was Ensk Encounter, and we got slaughtered, losing eight tanks to none of the enemy, and we pulled a win out of our butts because the enemy was more skilled but miscalculated or whatever.  They all went and swept field, and the six or so of us that went city managed to fastcap it because it was quite clear that we were not going to win any other way, being down eight tanks.  But it was a frustrating night; everybody somehow penned my SP through the front, and I drew shit teams consistently.   Just shit luck, but holy shit rolling snake eyes a dozen times in a row is frustrating.  WoWS just doesn't have that feel.  I don't look at the screen and realize a match is flat out lost sixty seconds into the match, or occasionally even thirty seconds into the match.  It's more deliberate; your mistakes cost you, but that feeling you get when you see five tanks die in fifteen seconds...it just never happens in WoWS.

It's more subtle in WoWS, but the same happens there, too. You do need a keener eye though and turn-arounds can still happen, even if a failcascade is already rolling strong. The recoveries are far more rare though.