FlorbFnarb

Advice for noobs

98 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

A lot of the BB problem comes from T5 or so where the Kongo gets 21+ KM range, but it's dispersion is so bad you can't hit anything at that range. (10-14 is effective range) So, just because you have 20+ KM range does not mean you can hit anything from their. At T8+ the German CA's, IJN CA's (t9+), and soviet CA's have long range and good accuracy. BB's still need to move in to like 12-16km to be effective. (Just like all the previous people said)

Judging by EU meta. The issue starts in the Myogi :( On the small maps they virtually don't have to move outside the base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Birkovic said:

Judging by EU meta. The issue starts in the Myogi :( On the small maps they virtually don't have to move outside the base.

Which means, of course, that they won't move outside the base.

Based on the number of people in low tier cruisers that drive straight into the enemy blob in the first 30 seconds of the match and die, WoWs has the same problem with people suicide-grinding the next vehicle that WoT has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, sorry, this game is absolute bullshit.  SIX losses in a row.  Last one the game just kept setting me on fire OVER AND OVER because apparently I'm required to fucking lose every time tonight.  It's FUCKING STUPID that cruisers trading shots with BBs are basically going to win because battleships are made of fucking wood and gasoline.  One fucking fire after another.   If you get set on fire, stopping it with repairs is meaningless because you're just going to be set on fire again ten seconds later, which means at a minimum 25% of your HP lost to a single shot from a cruiser.

 

Somebody explain to me exactly how BBs are supposed to be the best class when they lose by trading shots with fucking cruisers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can be streaky at times with bad teams vs good ones.

Low and mid tiers can be the epitome of one of the 19 Chinese hells of HE spam.

I know you probably don't have it yet but Fire Prevention Captains Perk is useful at low to mid tiers. -10% to fire chance and only 3 fires possible vs 4 without.  Its a tough call vs AFT for the AA range boost, however taking BFT at tier 3 will mitigate the AA to a degree. Also the tier 2 High Alert reloads Damage control Party 10% faster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Ok, sorry, this game is absolute bullshit.  SIX losses in a row.  Last one the game just kept setting me on fire OVER AND OVER because apparently I'm required to fucking lose every time tonight.  It's FUCKING STUPID that cruisers trading shots with BBs are basically going to win because battleships are made of fucking wood and gasoline.  One fucking fire after another.   If you get set on fire, stopping it with repairs is meaningless because you're just going to be set on fire again ten seconds later, which means at a minimum 25% of your HP lost to a single shot from a cruiser.

 

Somebody explain to me exactly how BBs are supposed to be the best class when they lose by trading shots with fucking cruisers?

Don't extinguish one fire.  Ignore it and use Repair Party to heal basically all of the fire damage back, and save your Damage Control to extinguish multiple fires or flooding.  Fire is actually very manageable once you figure that out, but the other half of the equation is making sure you hit your return shots on those cruisers and either kill them or run them off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mesrith said:

Don't extinguish one fire.  Ignore it and use Repair Party to heal basically all of the fire damage back, and save your Damage Control to extinguish multiple fires or flooding.  Fire is actually very manageable once you figure that out, but the other half of the equation is making sure you hit your return shots on those cruisers and either kill them or run them off.

Yeah, I was hitting, it was just the damn fires were doing damage to me faster than I was doing it to them.

Just kinda frustrating.  I seem to catch fire most matches in a BB, but not that badly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FlorbFnarb said:

Yeah, I was hitting, it was just the damn fires were doing damage to me faster than I was doing it to them.

Just kinda frustrating.  I seem to catch fire most matches in a BB, but not that badly.

You've run up against the line of whether you'll be good at the game or not.  Bad battleship players sail in straight lines (raging against torps as unfair) and don't know how to manage fires (raging against cruisers as unfair).  Learning how to manage and prevent incoming damage is half of battleship play.  Get the hang of that and you'll be fine.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mesrith said:

You've run up against the line of whether you'll be good at the game or not.  Bad battleship players sail in straight lines (raging against torps as unfair) and don't know how to manage fires (raging against cruisers as unfair).  Learning how to manage and prevent incoming damage is half of battleship play.  Get the hang of that and you'll be fine.

 

 

Fair enough.  Torps I can handle; I very rarely get hit by them.  The fire thing just seems...weird, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Fair enough.  Torps I can handle; I very rarely get hit by them.  The fire thing just seems...weird, I guess.

You're not used to it yet. Give it a little time. And you can juke some of the HE spam by varying your speed and weaving some between shots, especially if cruisers are toward the end of their maximum effective range. Basically one of the keys with BB driving is managing your heal and repair cool downs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rodrigopine said:

You're not used to it yet. Give it a little time. And you can juke some of the HE spam by varying your speed and weaving some between shots, especially if cruisers are toward the end of their maximum effective range. Basically one of the keys with BB driving is managing your heal and repair cool downs.

Yeah, seems to be so.  This was at closer range; one of my pet peeves is BB drivers who won't close with the enemy.

What do  you guys think of using HE on a BB?  I had used AP exclusively, but then I read that the Japanese BBs were using HE when they tore the Russians a new one at Tsushima, plus I realized how powerful cruisers were when spamming HE at BBs, so I've given it a try, but not very much - not enough to see if it's really that effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FlorbFnarb said:

What do  you guys think of using HE on a BB?

It's highly situational. Honestly you're probably better off learning to aim and hit the superstructure on angled BBs with AP. Maybe if you're bottom tier and you're not able to hit or penetrate you could fire HE if they aren't already on fire. But usually I can easily out trade an HE spamming BB using AP. Sometimes you just have to be patient and hold a shot until you know you can make it and do good damage. Resist the temptation to immediately fire your guns once they reload. Ideally you wait for a cruiser or a BB to commit fully to a turn and punish them for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rodrigopine said:

It's highly situational. Honestly you're probably better off learning to aim and hit the superstructure on angled BBs with AP. Maybe if you're bottom tier and you're not able to hit or penetrate you could fire HE if they aren't already on fire. But usually I can easily out trade an HE spamming BB using AP. Sometimes you just have to be patient and hold a shot until you know you can make it and do good damage. Resist the temptation to immediately fire your guns once they reload. Ideally you wait for a cruiser or a BB to commit fully to a turn and punish them for it.

Yeah, BBs have a hell of a reload.  Anybody know whether cruisers compare to same-tier BBs in terms of DPM?

BBs I really tend to close with in part because cruisers have such a short reload they can kite and afford to hit two out of six shells in order to save HP.  DDs seem to need to close to use those nuclear torpedoes, and BBs need to close to make every damn shell hit.  I just tank shots from smaller ships until I get close and then BAM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked at your stats (https://na.warships.today/player/1002832475/FlorbFnarb and also http://www.wowstats.org/stats/na/florbfnarb/ ) and honestly, you're doing fine.I usually look at wowstats for a quick glance. Warships Today, however, shows a lot more detail that can help you fine tune your approach. As an example, you have 30% main battery hit (MBH) rate on your South Carolina, while the average is 26% (hover over the numbers for comparisons). You have a survival rate of 55% versus 33% average however. So a couple thoughts with that are to keep closing, also, feel free to fire when you are in range. If you only nail one shell on a cruiser at long range, that's damage done, it could be a citadel, and at the lower tiers you want to be working on your gunnery anyway.

Also, rather than worry about winning or losing, see how you did on the team score tab after battle. Are you up in the top third or so? Then you did your part. Just like WOT (which I was just barely getting to average in when I found WOWS), the nuances of the game will lead to your success. Have a friend who is getting close to unicum in WOT - he just started ships, we div'd together a couple nights ago. I am pretty sure my 6 year old has a better grasp of the game than he does, because my friend just doesn't know any of it yet. Now...he did fine, but it's tier 2/3. Basic gunnery, some angling, etc...goes a long way. Reading the map, knowing the ins and outs of your opponents armor, gun/torp ranges, detection ranges, abusing stealth or knowing when to bully - it takes time. (By fine, he did 20-30k which is really good. I was doing things like 16 pts captains in the Tachibana/Konig Albert...more like 70k....oooh and 40k in the Mikasa lol.)

Besides, in 6 months you may revisit the lower tiers, and will realize that: you are now a god; and you sucked when you started out. I just went back to the Clemson and OH THAT'S WHAT THEY MEANT ABOUT SEAL CLUBBING...

 

PS sorry if I meet you on the other team in my Clemson. I'll try to make it quick. Just rush the smoke cloud spitting fire, everything is fine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cheereereerios said:

Looked at your stats (https://na.warships.today/player/1002832475/FlorbFnarb and also http://www.wowstats.org/stats/na/florbfnarb/ ) and honestly, you're doing fine.I usually look at wowstats for a quick glance. Warships Today, however, shows a lot more detail that can help you fine tune your approach. As an example, you have 30% main battery hit (MBH) rate on your South Carolina, while the average is 26% (hover over the numbers for comparisons). You have a survival rate of 55% versus 33% average however. So a couple thoughts with that are to keep closing, also, feel free to fire when you are in range. If you only nail one shell on a cruiser at long range, that's damage done, it could be a citadel, and at the lower tiers you want to be working on your gunnery anyway.

Also, rather than worry about winning or losing, see how you did on the team score tab after battle. Are you up in the top third or so? Then you did your part. Just like WOT (which I was just barely getting to average in when I found WOWS), the nuances of the game will lead to your success. Have a friend who is getting close to unicum in WOT - he just started ships, we div'd together a couple nights ago. I am pretty sure my 6 year old has a better grasp of the game than he does, because my friend just doesn't know any of it yet. Now...he did fine, but it's tier 2/3. Basic gunnery, some angling, etc...goes a long way. Reading the map, knowing the ins and outs of your opponents armor, gun/torp ranges, detection ranges, abusing stealth or knowing when to bully - it takes time. (By fine, he did 20-30k which is really good. I was doing things like 16 pts captains in the Tachibana/Konig Albert...more like 70k....oooh and 40k in the Mikasa lol.)

Besides, in 6 months you may revisit the lower tiers, and will realize that: you are now a god; and you sucked when you started out. I just went back to the Clemson and OH THAT'S WHAT THEY MEANT ABOUT SEAL CLUBBING...

 

PS sorry if I meet you on the other team in my Clemson. I'll try to make it quick. Just rush the smoke cloud spitting fire, everything is fine...

lol

 

The American Tier 2 destroyer is so much fun it should be illegal.

I really get pissed off at losing streaks though.  Always have, and I don't know how to stop.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh! I forgot about a couple specifics - I use the angle/compass mod which really helps. With every patch things break, so it takes me a day or two to realize I don't have it anymore. It can be surprisingly hard to tell the difference between 25-45-75 degrees of angling on distant targets. Also the dynamic crosshairs are the way to go (the scale stays constant for range - tip: ~5 ticks for slow BBs, ~7 for slower cruisers, ~10 for faster cruisers/DDs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing for about a month at this point but would like some advice.

Are there good places to hang out to meet new people to learn from? I've hung out with some guys on the WOTlabs teamspeak but am always looking to meet new people to help me improve.

What is a good plateau that I should be aiming for as a new player? How much does my average tier factor into that? I Think I am doing ok but my average tier is still low as I have been trying multiple lines to about tiers 4 or 5. 

What should I expect for my first ranked season? Based on my current stats how high is a reasonable goal? I realize I have yet to grind out to tier 7, I'm at tier 6 in two lines atm, and so tier 7 I'll be facing better players and commanders with high skill point commanders but what would be reasonable to aim for? 

 

Edit:

When should I start putting equipment onto my ships? I'm fairly doubloon poor for now but in the future I expect that removing the equipment won't be too big of a deal. Is a tier 6 grind long enough? Also, with the new commander skills, does that change equipment choices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tomego said:

When should I start putting equipment onto my ships?

The first three slots are not that important as the buffs are minor. Starting with the 4th slot equipment is pretty much mandatory (and consequently very expensive).

But you will not lose that much creds if you put equipment on your low tiers and then simply destroy it instead of unmounting it.

10 hours ago, tomego said:

What should I expect for my first ranked season?

A lot of stupid teammates. You get used to it in randoms but in ranked people are even more at a loss about what to do and 7vs7 is even more unforgiveable. Plus safe spots will allow even the most dreadful potatoe to rank up fast to about rank 15, so you need to rank up to 10 or better to really notice an increase in skill.

Up to about rank 10 it doesn't really matter though. You can play what you want, even stock Pensacola with no camo and will still outperform most pubbies. But afterwards you should really bring a good ship and know where to go in it.

10 hours ago, tomego said:

Are there good places to hang out to meet new people to learn from?

On EU Flamu/Omni Discord is nice or so I hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd just like to add: At about T5 the grind starts. Before, you can pretty much breeze through the ships, so I would suggest to start putting equipment at that point at latest. Dismounting equipment costs 25 gold each, if I recall right, which is considerably more affordable than it is on WoT and as Jaeger said: Rudder shift-mod is pretty much mandatory on any ship you can fit it on and if you want to cheapskate beyond T5, always fit that mod even then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna steal this topic for a bit, since I'm gonna start a clean EU WoWS account. For more players and better ping.

What are the best premium ships to get?

Best consumeables?

Are there any tech lines to stay the hell away from?

Which youtubers should I watch? Which streamers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming I always have premium account (Thanks Black Friday!), should I run full premium consumables or do I wait till they go on sale, stockpile a whole bunch of them (if thats a thing on WOWS as it is on WOT) THEN run full premium consumable?

If not always, then which consumable should I always run premium and on which ship types?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.