FlorbFnarb

Advice for noobs

98 posts in this topic

I recommend running all premium consumables, on every ship. Granted, I don't have above tier 8, so I still have lots of monies.

@RutgerS I think that no matter your skill level you can not go wrong with the Scharnhorst. Furthermore it's entertaining to play, which is a truely nice feature on a premium. Honorable mentions to the Belfast and tier 8 prem's.

Well best premium ships will depend a bit on what you like to play. Best cruisers are probably the Belfast, Mikhail Kutazov and the Atago. The Tirpitz and Scharnhorst are pretty strong BBs. I only have the Kamikaze and Anshan for DDs so don't really know about the other commonly available DDs.

As far as premium consumables I would probably go case by case. BBs tend to benefit a lot from premium repair and damage control. Radar and hydro acoustic search are other good candidates.

Alright. I'm starting now with the Russian Cruisers, German Battleships and American DD's, in that order of importance. Thanks for the responses, and all other advice is welcome as well!

I am at tier 6 across every line with a bunch of premium ships and I run premium consumables on none of them. I have a metric ton of them from all the giveaways and never using them, but honestly would sell most of them for silver if I could- just like all the extra food you get in WoT. 

I am not at the level where 30 seconds less cooldown for my spotter plane makes much of a difference.  I have decent awareness which keeps me competitive and I try to avoid situations in my BB where it would be necessary to run premium damage control and repair- though BBs are probably where I would start if I began using them. Better damage con on DDs would be helpful too. 

I am usually pretty silver poor, so I spring for camo, not much else atm. Higher tiers make it seem pretty necessary though. 

Scharn is a cruiser with armor, don't lie.

Ten matches so far tonight, nine of them were losses, almost all of them I could tell were lost in the first 60 seconds.  Two of them literally had teammates throw the match on purpose.  The sheer number of matches where somebody drives a cruiser straight at the enemy and suicides is appalling.

Gonna stay up a while and see just how many losses in a row I end up getting.  This is flat out ridiculous.

I would say that a rule of thumb from Tanks is applicable to Ships as well: If you lose 3 in a row in the same ship - forget getting your double in it - play a different ship.  MM patterns are not wholly as random as they might scientifically appear to be.  It's possible that your tier 4 Cruiser is going to get sucked into a lot of heavy BB battles because that's what the bulk of players are doing in tier 4/5 AT THAT PARTICULAR TIME.  Play a DD or a BB, anything different - trying to pound a round peg through the proverbial square hole is never satisfying.  Eventually you will start trying to do crazy shit you never normally do to break up the streak - only compounding the problem.

Buy Galciv III or Strategic Command III - both great strategy games that can be soothing time sinks - and just get away from ships for two days.  I do it at least once a month.

Miscounted.  Three wins, six losses.  Going to bed.  That's two miserable days in a row.

14 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

I would say that a rule of thumb from Tanks is applicable to Ships as well: If you lose 3 in a row in the same ship - forget getting your double in it - play a different ship.  MM patterns are not wholly as random as they might scientifically appear to be.  It's possible that your tier 4 Cruiser is going to get sucked into a lot of heavy BB battles because that's what the bulk of players are doing in tier 4/5 AT THAT PARTICULAR TIME.  Play a DD or a BB, anything different - trying to pound a round peg through the proverbial square hole is never satisfying.  Eventually you will start trying to do crazy shit you never normally do to break up the streak - only compounding the problem.

Buy Galciv III or Strategic Command III - both great strategy games that can be soothing time sinks - and just get away from ships for two days.  I do it at least once a month.

Oh, I'm not sure I played any ship twice in a row.

I would have been better off playing Endless Legend.  XD

I recall my first 100~ battles, where I was around light/dark blue territory but with a 42~% win rate. Part of it was me playing Japanese cruisers badly and risk averse, but part of it were streaks, where I just kept loosing and stayed in the same ship. I think I posted 7 losses in a row in an Aoba here, where I dealt decent damage in every game for a newbee (top 5 xp). 

Today I'm heading towards 58 % win rate after 800 games solo. I switched to US and JPN DDs along with German and JPN BBs, which suited the meta better and all of a sudden things began to click, while I improved as a player through streams (Flamu and Aerroon) and experience. What really turned things was sticking to the DDs for a couple of weeks, which taught me a lot of useful skills, which I applied to other grinds and classes later.

Keep at it mate :)

Don't let low tiers get you down- remember what the playpen was like when you first started WoT sith 50% crews and not really getting the vision mechanics, pen mechanics etc.

Don't set crazy standards for yourself- you'll start getting a feel for positioning, aiming, etc. Cruisers can be pretty unforgiving and suffer the most from the random rng when you have incoming BB shell groups. 

One thing I like about the game that keeps me relatively calm (compared to WoT) is it is just so damn pretty. The rendering of the water, the weather, each ship so artfully detailed, the damage models, etc. of these really incredible feats of human engineering. Growing up visiting battleship cove in Massachusetts and the Cassin Young and Constitution where i used to live in Charlestown, MA baked in the naval nerdery from a young age and I just get a childlike sense of joy having a ship under my command. 

Find me in game if you want.  I have a few premium tier 4s if you are up to that level yet. Just about everyone in RUST is good, funny and down to earth. 

17 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

Don't let low tiers get you down- remember what the playpen was like when you first started WoT sith 50% crews and not really getting the vision mechanics, pen mechanics etc.

Don't set crazy standards for yourself- you'll start getting a feel for positioning, aiming, etc. Cruisers can be pretty unforgiving and suffer the most from the random rng when you have incoming BB shell groups. 

One thing I like about the game that keeps me relatively calm (compared to WoT) is it is just so damn pretty. The rendering of the water, the weather, each ship so artfully detailed, the damage models, etc. of these really incredible feats of human engineering. Growing up visiting battleship cove in Massachusetts and the Cassin Young and Constitution where i used to live in Charlestown, MA baked in the naval nerdery from a young age and I just get a childlike sense of joy having a ship under my command. 

Find me in game if you want.  I have a few premium tier 4s if you are up to that level yet. Just about everyone in RUST is good, funny and down to earth. 

Working on a couple Tier 4s right now.  Cruisers seem to be fun to me - no idea why they reload faster than destroyers, but they do, at least the ones I have,  BBs are fun when you practically one-shot somebody, but they take so long to close with the enemy.  DDs are lots of fun but it's tough waiting for an enemy to get distracted and focus on my team's cruisers so I can swoop in and nail them with torpedoes.

I do try to avoid setting excessive standards for myself, and I'm getting a feeling for positioning and aiming.  It's just those nights of a 20% WR that have always ticked me off, especially when it's compounded by intentionally suiciding teammates.  My temper can get the best of me some nights.

5 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Working on a couple Tier 4s right now.  Cruisers seem to be fun to me - no idea why they reload faster than destroyers, but they do, at least the ones I have,  BBs are fun when you practically one-shot somebody, but they take so long to close with the enemy.  DDs are lots of fun but it's tough waiting for an enemy to get distracted and focus on my team's cruisers so I can swoop in and nail them with torpedoes.

I do try to avoid setting excessive standards for myself, and I'm getting a feeling for positioning and aiming.  It's just those nights of a 20% WR that have always ticked me off, especially when it's compounded by intentionally suiciding teammates.  My temper can get the best of me some nights.

Good deal, definitely go with what you like, while getting a feel for each type. Tier 4 is a good spot to stop and cut your teeth for a little while on the basics with friendly mm before moving on to tier 5, which is a whole new level. 

Tier 5 matches are poison with mm, like 5/6 battles will be tier 7, but also the spot where individual nations really start to differentiate themselves and consummables become more widely available. Kongo and Konig BBs are great, Omaha is fragile, but quality (as are her premium versions), Minekaze is a shadow of her former self, but still can be quite fun, Kirov is the start of a well-gunned, snipey Soviet CV branch. You have a lot ahead of you! 

Just now, Expendable_Lad said:

Good deal, definitely go with what you like, while getting a feel for each type. Tier 4 is a good spot to stop and cut your teeth for a little while on the basics with friendly mm before moving on to tier 5, which is a whole new level. 

Tier 5 matches are poison with mm, like 5/6 battles will be tier 7, but also the spot where individual nations really start to differentiate themselves and consummables become more widely available. Kongo and Konig BBs are great, Omaha is fragile, but quality (as are her premium versions), Minekaze is a shadow of her former self, but still can be quite fun, Kirov is the start of a well-gunned, snipey Soviet CV branch. You have a lot ahead of you! 

Yeah, the game is fun and you're right - it really does look great.  I wish they'd get WoT up to that graphical standard.  If they made it play like WoT but look like WoWs and War Thunder they'd be doing well.

Tier 5 used to be great, then the special snowflakes in tier 4s decided they couldn't fight, and screwed everything up. I suggest learning mechanics by leveling ships up to tier 4, but then making sure you know what's going on before continuing.

6 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Tier 5 used to be great, then the special snowflakes in tier 4s decided they couldn't fight, and screwed everything up. I suggest learning mechanics by leveling ships up to tier 4, but then making sure you know what's going on before continuing.

Yeah, definitely make sure you have the basics down before T5. And the MM change is really dumb too, if I was a new player I'd rather have bad times in easier to leave ships than bad times in ships that take longer to grind out of.

That was what I really hated when the game went live. The grinds felt so long after the earlier test builds.

2 hours ago, Mnemon said:

And the MM change is really dumb too, if I was a new player I'd rather have bad times in easier to leave ships than bad times in ships that take longer to grind out of.

*COUGH* Tashkent *COUGH*

Remember though, if you are rank13 and have all perks like flags, Capt skills, camo, varied ship modules, ect, many of the lower tier players are too low to get them.  When you play lower tiers you will often have an advantage over these players.

29 minutes ago, xWulffx said:

Remember though, if you are rank13 and have all perks like flags, Capt skills, camo, varied ship modules, ect, many of the lower tier players are too low to get them.  When you play lower tiers you will often have an advantage over these players.

Seal Clubbing Intensifies (tm)

:serb:

3 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

Seal Clubbing Intensifies (tm)

:serb:

Funny you mention that!  Got called a Seal Clubbing Platoon last night with my clan in a division of 3 Bismarcks LOL!!!  We went straight in for the win with secondaries a blazing ...

It was mad fun!!!  :novaserb:

4 hours ago, xWulffx said:

Funny you mention that!  Got called a Seal Clubbing Platoon last night with my clan in a division of 3 Bismarcks LOL!!!  We went straight in for the win with secondaries a blazing ...

It was mad fun!!!  :novaserb:

You should photoshop in some Bismarcks on the water.

I've been a bad boy. Learning to play actual CVs (Hosho) is hard, but I seem to be clubbing everyone, until Langleys or Bogues camp me.