bathoz

Ranked Season 6: Back to Seven

233 posts in this topic

The new Ranked season has had two headlines that come in – number one, there'll be epicentre maps, and number two, tier 7 ships.

We've just been there, but there are a number of new, terrifying premium and non-premium tier 7s to add to the mix.

How will the Belfast, Flint, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Fiji, Leningrad and that wall-o-torp Japanese guy change what are go to ships?

Epicentre, IDK, we should probably play ranked on PTS before we make any judgements. Might even turn out to be a good thing (if Tears of the Cruisers is excluded from the rotation)

Nagato will still be a very strong BB, beating Colorado in tankiness and mobility. Scharnhorst is the prime brawler and cruiser killer, and with the likes of Belfast, Flint, Fiji, Atlanta and Myoko I think it's actually going to be the top pick. Gneis would be a good pick if it didn't have only 6 barrels. Fiji will likely be the best non-premium cruiser pick simply because smoke+heal combo enables it to stay in the fight for a very long time, while having massive firepower. I wouldn't pick Indianapolis over Atlanta simply because of concealment and DPM potential. Shira will be very competitive due to excellent concealment and walls of torps denying smoke camping, while Akatsuki is simply outclassed in torp power and concealment but it's still not a bad ship. Kiev is a no-go, it's not a bad ship per se, but the lack of concealment and long-range torps make it good for burning down BBs exclusively, while having to rely on friendly DDs to do the spotting if it wants to be useful against enemy DDs. The amount of cruisers I predict won't help either.

If I will play ranked I will run Mahan and Gneisenau. Mahan is very strong for contesting cap-points, have reasonable torpedoes and maneuverability&stealth. I don´t have the Gneisenau yet but will grind it out because german BBs are very stronk ships and in Gneisenau you get a cruiser-speed in a very well armored close range brawler BB with torps.. I mean what can go wrong with that kind of setup?

And i will priority target any Belfast I see so have fun. Blame the devs not me.

I don´t have any tier7 premiums.

Yeah... Looks like this season is basically world of premiums

Sims/Belfast/Scharnhorst. Sims for being a straight-up god-tier brawler with near-VMF DD speeds and insane agility, Belfast IFHE for pretty self-explanatory reasons, and Scharnhorst because it's a cruiser with BB armor.

Yep seems like Belfast/Schanhorst.

Fiji is probably bad as it cannot spam fires. Yes smoke is nice but when enemy bb's sit head-on its totally useless with no option to use HE. Also very vulnerable to being citadeled. Good against enemy dd's but with slow shell arcs it needs to get pretty close to cap where it has huge risk of being citadeled by enemy cruisers/bb's or torped/forced out of smoke if sitting in smoke. As usual Mahan probably best dd like previous ranked seasons with tier 7's, Sims almost as good. Unless new captain skills change balance somehow. Maybe that new japan dd with torp reload could be good to nuke enemies sitting in smoke but is it good enough otherwise? German dd could been useful if it had proper smoke duration but with only 60 sec of smoke its probably useless.
Gneisenau seems like worse version of Scharnhorst, better against enemy bb's, worse at everything else.

This season of ranked is going to be a royal shitshow. I hope WG learns, and sets it back to 6/8, which actually worked well.

1 hour ago, SaintLaurentius said:

What about Atlanta? Any use in the ranked?

With IFHE I think it'll be decent when your opponent is fixed at T7.

Play style won't change, but damages will be more immediate and rewarding.

Blyska and Leningrad will also make some appearances as well - it certainly will be world of premiums.  I think that based on the amount of DD's we are likely to see that the Atlanta will be out in force as well, the radar on it combined with it's high ROF makes it a fair counter.  It's funny, ships that are not as good in a 12 v 12 can become quite useful in a 7 v 7.

I have the Sims, Mahan, Atlanta, Nagato, Shiratsuyu, Scharnhorst, Fiji, and Blyskawica to choose from .... also the ship that will not be played - 7 or 8 copies of the Myoko.  That will be the acid test for your team composition, how many players are driving their newly minted Southern Dragons!

I've never had huge issues with nose in BBs in the Fiji, but still think the IFHE Belfast is just going to be monstrously superior.

Will IFHE make the Schchohohohrs better pick? And will it overall make battleships less desireable?

im just going to stick with my Colorado, ya i know its slow as hell and the Scharn is a better brawler but its more suited to my playstyle than the other two BB's

Sims can be good for epicenter but most people can not outbrawl a Bwyska at the usual 6km range in their Sims.

Plus Bwyska with SE has same HPs as Fletcher...

Ships are what ships are, but can someone give some educated guesses if there is some new captain skills that could cause major disturbance? For example how good is Shchors with IFHE against tier 7 BB's?

Been messing around on the PTS.

Couple things I've noticed: 45% of Gneis drivers yolo in, can't throw torps at red while your friendly BB charges. Another 45% try to snipe - 6 barrels, least accurate, max range, no tanking. 10% are good, and are always on the other team.  :P. The Colorado is slow, gets driven broadside, etc. The Nagato is tanky enough, accurate as all get out, very nice secondaries, and fast enough to move if needed. But it's also "BB" enough to resist the temptation to charge in and brawl immediately.

The Ranger and Kiev are no-go's, the rest of the DD's are all comparable. I doubt many tech-tree cruisers will show up. Though I may take a Southern Dragon out just for Biggie.

T7 is a very fun tier. I'm not sure a DD is going to be super fun though. Indy might be good for the radar and anti-Belfast potential.

Yeah, even in the mess of PTS and tech-tree only ships, DD's were getting focused immediately. I did have one memorable shot in the Nagato - Fiji slowing down, obviously preparing to pop smoke. A little lead as they faded out...hammer drop. Couple cits for full-health delete first blood.

I'm getting my Shinyhorse sisters ready, Mahan is ready to go also. I may use the Colorado since flexing across the map won't be much of a issue, I may go back to its AA build since range may not be such a issue but CVs will be. The Gneisenau will retain its secondary build (manual secondaries are no joke) and it's captain will be in the Schornhurst also. Depending on the meta I may get the Pensicola ready also since she excels at killing cruisers since they love sailing broadside to her

41 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

I'm getting my Shinyhorse sisters ready, Mahan is ready to go also. I may use the Colorado since flexing across the map won't be much of a issue, I may go back to its AA build since range may not be such a issue but CVs will be. The Gneisenau will retain its secondary build (manual secondaries are no joke) and it's captain will be in the Schornhurst also. Depending on the meta I may get the Pensicola ready also since she excels at killing cruisers since they love sailing broadside to her

The gneisenau needs to be A hull for the secondaries to be reasonable iirc. The top hull shifts to full 128mms which are inferior to the 105s and 150s.

The 128s are still ok as far as secondaries go, but nothing worth making a build around.