bathoz

Ranked Season 6: Back to Seven

233 posts in this topic

The Nagato is a better secondary ship. I set my Gneisenau up as an AA build since it rivals the best AA ships at tier 7. It's almost immune to bombers with an AA build. Personally I'll probably switch between the Nagato and Gneisenau depending on if their are CV's in queue.

With regard to CA's I'll probably switch between the Fiji and Atlanta, depending on how many DD's are in queue. I don't have a Belfast and don't plan on getting one for ranked. Does anyone have thoughts on the Atlanta for ranked? I haven't seen anyone really taking about it. It should be a good DD killer with its high ROF and radar, but I'm a little concerned about it's poor range and orbital shell arcs.

In regards to the Atlanta the skill tree changes have definitely buffed its front end damage if you take IFHE. The ship itself is still pretty fragile which does limit your tactical options. In ideal circumstances you can scavenge DD/RN smokes for cover. Probably the most evil thing I've done since .6.0 hit is delete an enemy DD hiding in smoke using radar and then quickly move into that smoke to rain further misery upon the opposing team. Although cool and kind of a dick move I'm not sure it's something you can reliably count on in ranked battles. But I'm willing to test it out for SCIENCE! ;)

55 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

The gneisenau needs to be A hull for the secondaries to be reasonable iirc. The top hull shifts to full 128mms which are inferior to the 105s and 150s.

True but its still fairly effective at pumping up additional damage, and honestly this captain isn't staying in the ship, the Bismark and later ships is where this captain is going

The problem with the Atlanta is that it has to rely on hard cover or friendly DDs smoking you up if it wants to get within radar range, while the Belfast gets briefly spotted, smoke up and clear the cap on its own. But when an Atlanta starts raining on a DD, oh boy...... Shell arcs shouldn't be a problem if you've played USN DDs. From my limited experience, Fiji is excellent for pumping out raw damage and is good against pretty much everything, especially against cruisers, which I strongly believe will be abundant this season..

The new ranke dmode will be EPICENTER - I think thats a HUGE change over the former series and will bring out new ships - esepcially ones that were always deemed too slow. The Bwyska for instance may no longer be the top DD as you totally, absolutely need to contest that one middle cap and here great stealth may be worth more than good speed/dpm. So maybe the Shiratsuyu has a role as she can also torp spam fogs very nicely.

Also AS Saipan can spot like hell and make your team win that middle cap - which counts as three caps iirc and will mean your numbers will tick like mad.

At least on the PTS - epicenter was one of the modes, but not exclusively. I think it's more they are adding epicenter to it - and honestly, it was a nice change of pace. Battles were more free-wheeling in that mode vs regular A/B caps.

Well, at least we can all agree on some things in life.

4 hours ago, xWulffx said:

You guys ever try to do countdowns and try to get on the same ranked team?

You can do it, especially if you coordinate ship type. However, I was almost never in the same rank queue as my friends so I never bothered. 

On ‎30‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 9:02 PM, cheereereerios said:

epicenter was one of the modes, but not exclusively

Ah, ok, I did misunderstand that then. I guess that means I don't need to grind the Shiratsuyu so hard because while it may be stellar on Epicenter it sucks overall and I am having horrible teams with it (my worst DD by far). Torps seem pretty bad too detectability wise and the very rare hilarious torp wall moment where you kill 3 ships in a single smoke doesn't make up for the overall sluggishness. Bwyskawica and maybe Hiryu it will be then (Dogfighting Expert simply wastes Saipans Corsairs...).

Thanks for the Zoup vid BiggieD61, so true...

This is what I'm expecting:

vnRU6Xc.jpg

I was at Rank 2 and feeling like I would make it in the last couple of hours when I got the battle of the CVs who queued repeatedly for nearly the last 3 hours and one experience of having an idiot CV outplayed was enough when he did damage enough to get a free ride without losing the star...

First ranked match of the season, took out the Blyska for the trial run.  Our team had a Colorado, Nagato, two Belfasts, two Myokos and myself.  Red team had two Colorado's, Scharhorst, Pensacola, Fiji and a Mahan.It was a very cautious match in epicenter mode, our team went rock huggin, and I had vision over the Mahan, so I just danced out of his range basically spotting their team for the first 5 minutes.  Capped center, started to cap second ring an the Pensacola ran at me - smoked and fired at him - he got evaporated by the team.  Got two torps into a Colorado but then got focused down.  The two Belfasts basically controlled the match - people who have them  - or have more of them on their team are going to have a pretty good advantage . 

That Belfast radar is gonna wreck DD's, our Mahan never got close to us, and only got a kill because the Nagato thought he was in a Colorado and closed to brawl.  I suspect that you won't see 3 and 4 DD teams at all during this season.

Played my first ranked battle in the Nagato. Spotter plane is op against smoked cruisers, got two citadel's on fist salvo against a Fiji.

My wireless adapter dies right as the season starts. :/

I plan to go with Nagato (same reasons as MntRunner outlined) as my BB of choice. CA will be Atlanta, Fiji and maybe Myoko. DD... who knows. I like the Blys but Lenin just feels better to me. But I like them all so tough choice. 

I usually give up between 12-10. Just loose patience.

As for counting in it works if you match ships. But no guarantee you'll be on the same team. MntRunner and I did sync in a few times in past seasons... it was glorious. :)

1 hour ago, TheHolySpork said:

I usually give up between 12-10. Just loose patience.

I gave up at rank 9 last season. I did ok with a 61% WR but I got pretty burnt out quickly on just playing the Benson all the time. I guess there's a bit more one dimensionality to ranked battles because last season it was Benson smoke meta or gtfo. This season sounds like Belfast smoke meta so far. Maybe I'll pull an Onboard and quit at rank 12 if it's too monotonous. lol

I plan to put some time in tonight, I have the Colorado AA specced, the shineyhorse sisters share the same captain which is a secondary build captain, the Schornhurst is a secondary build with the Gneisenau being more neutral. I have not taken the Pensicola out since the buff, I have CE skill in the captain so that should be interesting. I also have the Mahan ready to go.

Pushed to Rank 10, having started at 14, but probably going to chill for a bit.  I haven't bothered completing Ranked the past couple of seasons but I think I'll push the grind this time around just to get the new upgrades that I might not even use.  I want to at least have them as options for future competitive stuff.

I found manual secondaries are a thing of absolute beauty on the Schornhurst in Epicenter, 2 Close Quarters kills and kept a constant fire on a BB to burn him to death in 1 game, another I kept the enemy cruisers and DDs out of the center because I kept lighting them up. On domination, not so handy though and the extra AA could be nice for those CV matches. The Colorado seems to be pulling its weight, had a great game with her, noticed a few players out there having good games with them too. Took my Pensicola out for the first time since the buff, lol I was playing her like she still could be seen from the next map over, I was having a great game damage wise but the team refused to push the caps

With Nagatos and Belfasts so prominent I think I try my Hiryu. Only want rank 10 anyways for the 2nd flag. The Black seems an awesome price to win but 5 times rank 1... no way.

Ran into a Colorado running secondary build....7k range on it.  

I gotta get used to the smoke battle meta.  It can work well, but it can also lead to really boring sections of games

OMFG

Did two ranked battles (despite suffering from flu...) - both landslide losses.

Game 1: we have a Leningrad who shoots nothing but Ap - doesn't even cap - as our only DD. Ends the game with 76 exp... Therefore our Scharnhorst goes full HE. Our Atlanta rushes forward and gets broadside infront of their two Gneisenaus at 7km... Enemy gets all two caps and wins with one loss.

Game 2: our team doesn't push except for a Mahan who goes far outside to hunt their Saipan. Enemy team pushes easily and gets both caps and wins shortly after without a single loss.

I knew it could be bad with the fucking pay to play tier being ranked but I didn't imagine it getting so bad.

Also I guess I shelve the Hiryu - Gneisenaus AA is simply too much. Did three drops on Gneisenaus and lost all eight TBs to Gneisenau AA in EACH OF THESE. Thx WG good balance.

Played Ranked first thing in the morning yesterday, you'd expect there's not many potatoes at R13 (since I got to R2 last season), but oh my fucking god. Every single time my lineup was worse than the enemy one, 4 wins and 6 defeats with a net gain of 2 stars. One of my teams literally got roflstomped so fast, I thought "wait a minute......am I playing WoT or WoWS?!" ANother example, we all agree on going B on North, "friendly" Mahan goes A, gets driven away by CV and proceeds to throw a torpedo tantrum on us without ever typing anything in chat, not even a "kurwa tym pojebany".

Other than the excessive salt, I'm reguraly blind citadelling broadsiding LULfasts in smoke :kappaross:

re-bought the Shiratsuyu for ranked, after getting to R11, with all the camping smoke meta and belfast's, launching 16 torps into smoke is pretty devastating, plus that dank 5.8km stealth really makes its a better option then i thought.