bathoz

Ranked Season 6: Back to Seven

233 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

The very concept of overpenning citadels in this game blows my friggin mind. 

"Great news! The shell went clear through the engine/magazine/hydraulics so no harm done!" ;)

@sahtila Fiji is exceptionally good, so are Nagato and Shira. Myoko takes a bit more skill to pull off good games with but it's pretty tanky and packs a big punch; AP can wreck RN CL pretty hard, only difference between ths and USN being the higher autobounce threshold on USN AP. Colorado is a solid pick because dem overkill guns but it's slooowww, Scharn has the volume of fire to compensate for the lack of pen and Gneis I feel is the weakest of the pack - a bit better at fighting BBs than the Scharn but the trollish dispersion and lack of shells in a broadside really hurt your anti-CL and anti-DD potential. Maass is shit like the rest of the KM DD line, Kiev can't contest caps (but otherwise it's a good ship), Shchors is huge and has shit armor, Pepsi is a bit better but has even shittier armor. Indy has to rely on friendly smokes to get within radar range undetected and melts under sustained HE fire, you simply can't out-DPM even a Belfast unless you surprise-nuke him.

I clubbed my way to rank 15 today, and I'm stopping there. I don't have the time or sanity to commit to ranking out.

4 hours ago, Yurra said:

@sahtila Fiji is exceptionally good, so are Nagato and Shira. Myoko takes a bit more skill to pull off good games with but it's pretty tanky and packs a big punch; AP can wreck RN CL pretty hard, only difference between ths and USN being the higher autobounce threshold on USN AP. Colorado is a solid pick because dem overkill guns but it's slooowww, Scharn has the volume of fire to compensate for the lack of pen and Gneis I feel is the weakest of the pack - a bit better at fighting BBs than the Scharn but the trollish dispersion and lack of shells in a broadside really hurt your anti-CL and anti-DD potential. Maass is shit like the rest of the KM DD line, Kiev can't contest caps (but otherwise it's a good ship), Shchors is huge and has shit armor, Pepsi is a bit better but has even shittier armor. Indy has to rely on friendly smokes to get within radar range undetected and melts under sustained HE fire, you simply can't out-DPM even a Belfast unless you surprise-nuke him.

In order best to worst (IMOH)

BBs - Nagato, Scharnhorst, Colorado, Gneissenau

CAs - Belfast, Fiji, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Pensicola, Myoko, Yorck, Schors

DDs - close call between the Aki and Shiratsuru, Sims, Mahan, Kiev

Very situational though ...

I've seen a lot of stock colorados, Gneis without paint, had a match where both teams had 4 myoko clones per side, not the original myoko(scharn feasted that match).

Problem with the Myoko's and clones with pubs is the way they always seem to try and get both of their sets of torpedoes off regardless of how vulnerable it makes them.  Played smart with a stealth build they can be nasty 8 inch bringers of fire and doom

6 hours ago, xWulffx said:

DDs - close call between the Aki and Shiratsuru

Akizuki? I would rate it the worst together with Maas, and even behind Kiev. Gunboat camo breaks it bc it is a worse gunboat than all the others and the good torps can not make up for this.

My dream team given competent players:

Balanced Hiryu - Nagato - Nagato - Belfast - Belfast - Sims - Shiratsuyu

vs

Strike Ranger - Gneisenau - Colorado - Schors - Schors - Maase - Akizuki

Nagato has been my go to when I (rarely) deign to play ranked. It craps on badpubbies.

15 hours ago, xWulffx said:

Problem with the Myoko's and clones with pubs is the way they always seem to try and get both of their sets of torpedoes off regardless of how vulnerable it makes them.  Played smart with a stealth build they can be nasty 8 inch bringers of fire and doom

From my Nagatos point of view they are nothing but cit's v0v

13 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

Akizuki? I would rate it the worst together with Maas, and even behind Kiev. Gunboat camo breaks it bc it is a worse gunboat than all the others and the good torps can not make up for this.

You lose some speed and stealth, but it's still workable.  The biggest plus for me is the torpedo reload time.  You get 9 (3x3) torpedoes every ~70 seconds with the Akizuki vs 8 (2x4) every ~120 seconds and the torpedo boost every other launch.  That 2 minute gap in the Shiratsuru is a long time, and you're not doing too much damage if any and just spotting.  The Akizuki has an extra gun and two of the turrets are in the rear for handy firing when running away.

18 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

4 hours ago, xWulffx said:

You lose some speed and stealth, but it's still workable.  The biggest plus for me is the torpedo reload time.  You get 9 (3x3) torpedoes every ~70 seconds with the Akizuki vs 8 (2x4) every ~120 seconds and the torpedo boost every other launch.  That 2 minute gap in the Shiratsuru is a long time, and you're not doing too much damage if any and just spotting.  The Akizuki has an extra gun and two of the turrets are in the rear for handy firing when running away.

Akizuki Akizuki Akizuki

rTWDmuc.gif

its the Akatsuki

oh an WG fucked over the super league, only the top 2 players by exp get a container now... GG, best ranked season ever, shit rewards and shit super league 

13 hours ago, xWulffx said:

In a ship with the best stealth in Ranked, spotting should never be overrated and you are the best capper too.

3 hours ago, Krollin said:

In a ship with the best stealth in Ranked, spotting should never be overrated and you are the best capper too.

had a 66k spotting game in Shira, thats alot when there are only 7 ships

14 hours ago, xWulffx said:

You lose some speed and stealth, but it's still workable...

Thats the problem. The Akatsuki is a hybrid gun - torpedo boat. It's 3x3 torps are marginally better than the 2x4 setup of the Shira but the better base reload is more than offset by the (prem) torp reload booster that gives you the option to either create a torp wall or be reloaded immediately in between should you need it.

For this the Shira has WAY better camo and will outspot the Akatsuki by a very significant amount while the latter is unable to catch up.

So 1vs1 the Shira can avoid the Akatsuki easily and thus neuter it's guns while being stronger in the torp department. Against every other gunboat (like Kiev, Sims, Mahan, Maas) the Akatsuki will usually have a hard time coming out on top in a gunfight.

And thus it stands, ranked/competitive is where specilists shine - generalists do not need to apply.

The only thing that keeps DD's from dominating this tier in ranked are the three radar capable cruisers - and the best counter to those three - especially a self smoked Belfast - is the Shiratsuyu.

12 hours ago, Krollin said:

11 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

Thats the problem. The Akatsuki is a hybrid gun - torpedo boat. It's 3x3 torps are marginally better than the 2x4 setup of the Shira but the better base reload is more than offset by the (prem) torp reload booster that gives you the option to either create a torp wall or be reloaded immediately in between should you need it.

For this the Shira has WAY better camo and will outspot the Akatsuki by a very significant amount while the latter is unable to catch up.

So 1vs1 the Shira can avoid the Akatsuki easily and thus neuter it's guns while being stronger in the torp department. Against every other gunboat (like Kiev, Sims, Mahan, Maas) the Akatsuki will usually have a hard time coming out on top in a gunfight.

And thus it stands, ranked/competitive is where specilists shine - generalists do not need to apply.

9 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

The only thing that keeps DD's from dominating this tier in ranked are the three radar capable cruisers - and the best counter to those three - especially a self smoked Belfast - is the Shiratsuyu.

I agree with all three of you the Shiratsuru is the better of the two, but I was just saying the Akasuki is workable in skilled hands and has some advantages at times over the Shira.  Herein lies the problem - many of the ranked maps have islands.  I like to play my stealth  DDs away from islands when I can, and will not drop smoke when capping and unspotted.  A good way for those quick yet not so stealthy DD's is to come blazing around an island and bum rush the stealthy DD that is capping at a distance under it's stealth range, because you can generally outgun them and will catch them flatfooted.  Having a DD with an extra gun and 2 rear firing turrets can be a boon in circumstances like these.

If I go towards a cap in a stealthy DD and think it's too hot in a DD, I will break off and go to the other cap, letting my team know ahead of time that is what I will be doing.

Furthermore, I often have to tell division mates to refrain from dropping smoke for me, because it lets you see if torps are inbound and to continue spotting. Also, if there's a smoke cloud most enemies like to dump torp waves into them.

I'm not the best player, but my DD stats are pretty OK, especially with the stealthy ones.

Rank 5 is get.. :dealdog:

my highest ever before was 10

78 games, 63% w/r, most played and best ship, Lulfast of course, no P2W here

I went to 10 as usual and stopped there. I find ranked too boring, I simply love the chaotic nature of random with the possibility to play any ship that I fancy at the very moment.

Currently I try to make correct the abysmally bad 25 first games in the Gearing - 89k dpg solo over the last 10 games with 70% wins and still my overall is so bad, also sub 50% winrate. I am finally getting the grips on it but I still think the Shima is better (duh, there, I said it).

I was gunshy about ranked because of all the hand wringing about it, but damn, it's great. 5 games, 5 stars with 2220 WTR. Sims and Nagato FTW- 142k damage in my first game in the Nagato. I realize I'm at the scrub player end of the pool with competitors, but we even had an afk guy at one point and took it to a win. All the fussing about the right ships does require a little critical thinking, but you can add value in just about anything you are good in if you can just pay attention to the field of battle.

Quick battles for full XP and credits where my input matters almost 50% more than in randoms? Yes please. With flags and bonuses (killed Japanese ship, deal 50k damage) had a >20k captain experience game. 

That's an awesome average there Crossfader. Good to see expendable smashing too...

It's a good result smashing the commander XP and ranked is pretty lol worthy with 19 pointers in premium ships for the elite XP too.

Tending to find the Shira can be neutralised when the team don't support in times of need. But when I get team members with map awareness it's such a joy... Even managed a Kraken ftw when our Shiny horse BB went flanking after over exposing himself when we were two vs three endgame. Tried the sausage ships and a three kill battle with torpeda, main and secondaries was nice to turn the battle in our favour but reckon the Nag' seems more reliable even if only played a few rounds in her...

Not a fan of seeing CVs in the Q simply because it's mostly a clear win for the better CV's team, only once so far have I been part of a lost CV comeback and it was my Sims catching vision and chasing down the SAIPAN with fire support from switched on team mates on fault line...

Wondering what kind of pings you are playing with? Mine is allegedly around 107 but pingtest puts me around 200 |-O

Sadly I'm in the first days of a 90 hour in 8 days cycle, which is somewhat limiting my play ;-) At least I can have a look at what's going on here...

Happy hunting.

WOWs only shows you half the ping journey, aka, time for a packet to get from you to them. Not you to them and back (like every other ping test in the world.)

Jesus Christ those are depressing stats - only one of these 31 tryhards have managed rank 1. Good riddance  :feelsbad:

Guy #2 - 700 games, 46% win ratio, Rank 7

Guy #24 - 436 games, 39.45% win ratio, Rank 10 (158 kills LOL)

Talk about failing your way to the top...

Because of the ample smoke you very often have only one target and thats usualy the retard. So while focus fire was often very lacking in the past up to and including the highest ranks, now it is almost automatic. That kills the noobs faster than ever. Less irrevocable ranks help too.

And rightly so. I would hate for some game spamming retard to suicidally shove his Black into my face...